Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,166 members, 7,829,167 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. (36866 Views)

5 Things The Abia State Government Should Be Thinking Seriously About / We The Nigerian Police Cannot Fight Bokoharam, We Are Not Trained For This �� / We Are Not Criminals, Police Cannot Invite Us, Miyetti Allah Replies Gowon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Yippeedaniel(m): 3:35pm On Nov 29, 2021
Really, but I spend 3 night in cell without my momma notice. She had to go to police to report only to find out I'm there.
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by BJanta: 3:40pm On Nov 29, 2021
Hugged:
Before the advent of the Police Act 2020, the Nigerian Police force was regulated by the Police Act Cap P19, Laws of the Federation, 2004, and certain actions of the police were not put in check. With the unveiling of this Act came new provisions that were included to make the Police force a more accountable, fair, and efficient body. Some of them include: (Shared By 123.com.ng Media)

1. The Nigerian Police force cannot arrest in place of a suspect:

Before the emergence of this new Act, the police had the power to arrest the family or friends of a suspect, if they couldn’t arrest that suspect. Section 36 of the Police Act 2020 repealed the earlier provisions and disallows the arrest of another person in place of a suspect.

2. The Nigerian Police cannot force a suspect to make a statement:

According to the new Police Act, a suspect may decide whether or not to make a statement while he is in police custody. It further states that such a statement must be made in the presence of a lawyer, a member of the legal aid council, or any other person of the suspect’s choice. If the suspect can’t speak or write English, he must be provided with an interpreter that will confirm his statement.

3. The police must give notice of delayed detention:

Section 64 of the Police Act 2020 provides that a suspect arrested for an offence should be granted bail within 24 hours. If he’s not released, an application must be sent to a court of competent jurisdiction.

4. The Police must notify a suspect’s family of his arrest:

Unlike before that when a suspect was arrested, he was denied communication with his family members. It is now a requirement that the next of kin of a suspect or his relative be properly informed, and this should be done without collecting money from them.

5. Police cannot arrest for a civil wrong:

When a person owes money or breaches a contract that existed before, the police cannot arrest such a person as this is an abuse of power. Their power to arrest is limited to criminal offences alone. They cannot recover private debts or meddle in affairs of a civil nature.

Source: https://123.com.ng/5-things-the-police-cannot-do-to-you-as-a-nigerian-citizen/

Amen
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Pharaoh4rin(m): 3:49pm On Nov 29, 2021
Penguin2:
This commendable!

But Nigerians, make I tell una, no go follow police drag anything because you saw this o.

If you tell them, them no gree, jejely cooperate make one bullet no go fall you troway.

But las las, stand up to your right.

Hope I’m not confused sha undecided

Coward
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Pharaoh4rin(m): 3:54pm On Nov 29, 2021
If you think Nigeria police is bad, try Italy's or Mexico's.

In Italy or Mexico, you either join police or Cartel. They operate the same way.
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Druss(m): 4:01pm On Nov 29, 2021
Really tempted to shout FABU!!
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by tobatele(m): 4:56pm On Nov 29, 2021
Are you talking about the Police in Nigeria or in a sane environment?
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by snoopz: 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2021
When last you enter Nigeria undecided
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by shortgun(m): 5:22pm On Nov 29, 2021
LordJoffrey:
Thank you!!!!!!!
A lot of people don't know their rights.
That no 5 is especially annoying.
Any little disagreement between 2 people, one party will immediately begin to threaten to have the other party arrested. That's so annoying.
It's clearly stated in S32 (2), Police Act 2020 that the police doesn't have the power to arrest based on a civil wrong or breach of contract. People really need to understand this.
Let's assume I went into a contract with someone to supply them goods, LPO was issued with a payment date agreed.
The goods was supplied and the person failed to pay on the due date, after back and forth I realized that the person is a fraud cos he didn't have the funds in the first place to pay.

Will this still be regarded as a civil case that doesn't involve the police or should it will be treated as a criminal case?
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by akmath: 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2021
Police no go do all those things abeg. We know them..

Imagine Naija police call suspect relatives..

I just de laugh
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by LordJoffrey(m): 5:58pm On Nov 29, 2021
shortgun:

Let's assume I went into a contract with someone to supply them goods, LPO was issued with a payment date agreed.
The goods was supplied and the person failed to pay on the due date, after back and forth I realized that the person is a fraud cos he didn't have the funds in the first place to pay.

Will this still be regarded as a civil case that doesn't involve the police or should it will be treated as a criminal case?

Upon realization of fraud, the contract becomes voidable and you can either go on with the contract or rescind. Generally, fraud is both a tort and a crime. In your case however, you can instigate a criminal proceeding against the fraudster.

PS, I'm just a 100lvl law student and I'm still learning
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Mypeople2(m): 6:25pm On Nov 29, 2021
Hugged:
Before the advent of the Police Act 2020, the Nigerian Police force was regulated by the Police Act Cap P19, Laws of the Federation, 2004, and certain actions of the police were not put in check. With the unveiling of this Act came new provisions that were included to make the Police force a more accountable, fair, and efficient body. Some of them include: (Shared By 123.com.ng Media)cheesy grin grin This your post nor be for Nigeria policegrin cheesy

Before the emergence of this new Act, the police had the power to arrest the family or friends of a suspect, if they couldn’t arrest that suspect. Section 36 of the Police Act 2020 repealed the earlier provisions and disallows the arrest of another person in place of a suspect.

According to the new Police Act, a suspect may decide whether or not to make a statement while he is in police custody. It further states that such a statement must be made in the presence of a lawyer, a member of the legal aid council, or any other person of the suspect’s choice. If the suspect can’t speak or write English, he must be provided with an interpreter that will confirm his statement.

Section 64 of the Police Act 2020 provides that a suspect arrested for an offence should be granted bail within 24 hours. If he’s not released, an application must be sent to a court of competent jurisdiction.

Unlike before that when a suspect was arrested, he was denied communication with his family members. It is now a requirement that the next of kin of a suspect or his relative be properly informed, and this should be done without collecting money from them.

When a person owes money or breaches a contract that existed before, the police cannot arrest such a person as this is an abuse of power. Their power to arrest is limited to criminal offences alone. They cannot recover private debts or meddle in affairs of a civil nature.

Source: https://123.com.ng/5-things-the-police-cannot-do-to-you-as-a-nigerian-citizen/
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by ThuGGeR147: 6:54pm On Nov 29, 2021
OGa na all wetin you list, Nigeria police dey do Ooh...
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by jimmynauty: 7:01pm On Nov 29, 2021
chatinent:
Ironically, these are all what the Nigerian police are doing.

The Nigerian Police will arrest you because you look like you will have money in three years time.

The Nigerian police will arrest you because your papers are complete. “You wan show us you know the law baa? Take him to station. By the time we get there, you'll explain how you knew the law when you aren't a lawyer.”

The NPF will arrest you because a big man tipped them and told them he would like your girlfriend to be his. They will arrest you and charge you with illegal possession of girlfriends.

The NPF will arrest you for being silent and neutral as to why you allowed a robber to rob your nextdoor neighbour without killing one. “You have the right to remain silent because anything you say or do will be used against you in the court of law” is their favourite singsong even when you didn't say anything.

The NPF will arrest you for wearing singlet and strolling to buy bread at night. “You are under arrest for improper dressing. You dey find person daughter to rape baa?”

The NPF will arrest you for trying to save an accident victim about dying. “You are under arrest for killing this man unless you want to explain why everybody run commot here and na only you remain.”

The NPF will arrest you when you are doing your jogging exercise in the morning. They will say it is only the wicked that runs when nothing is pursuing them.

The NPF will arrest you for buying a car as a young man like me.
P: what do you do for a living?
Me: I'm a content writer.
P: na dem. Yahoo contents baa?
Me: no, sir. I write contents and get paid.
P: that's what I am saying na. You can write contents on Yahoo right?
Me: On Yahoo mails,yes, but not on fraud nor do I defraud.
P: it's the same thing.
P2: let me see your phone.
Me: why sir?
P: (slap gbas gbos) why abi? Na so una go dey theive upandan. Who get this car?
Me: (mid-tears) Sir...sir, that's my car.
P2: wetin dey this boy phone so? Wetin bi Upwork? Wetin bi Office? Oh na HK office una don dey use abi?
Me: Oga, that's Microsoft Word. This thing you guys are doing is wrong. I am a hardworking citizen. I am not a con artist. Perhaps, the police is supposed to be our friend.
P: my friend, shut up, I am not your friend, my friend. Ok, you are not a writer again na artist now? Constable arrest him.

...and when I try to resist arrest for my right, I receive slaps from the left and uppercuts. When I don't give in, my dear killer pulls a trigger from yonder. In the morning, you'll hear my headline: “It was a sad day for one Constable Abdul Adekunle Emeka, posted to the joint TF, Lagos, when a cultist, who is also a yahoo boy drove past the base and tried killing the policeman. Unfortunately, our brave inspector saw him in time and neutralised him...”

Commissioner of police will now give en talk ontop matter. Buhari will now talk..abi read Garba’s speech on the matter and encourage the NPF for fighting corruption and tell the EFCC to keep on with the investigation of the car I left behind. Two weeks later, EFCC will find two new AK-49 with live ammunition in it. The car will be confiscated. Next tomorrow, one oga son will repaint my black car to white and be using it to visit brothels and trade coco peacefully. When he passes check-points, he receive hailing and “show us love” from the loutish policemen not searching his car.

The NPF is not your friend.

Know this and have peace. By the way, I am available for research writing services that will pass Turnitin.

Oya arrest him for turning tins...him de try show him be good abi...where receipt for your tithe last Sunday?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Uchesis: 7:32pm On Nov 29, 2021
Hugged:
Before the advent of the Police Act 2020, the Nigerian Police force was regulated by the Police Act Cap P19, Laws of the Federation, 2004, and certain actions of the police were not put in check. With the unveiling of this Act came new provisions that were included to make the Police force a more accountable, fair, and efficient body. Some of them include: (Shared By 123.com.ng Media)

THE NIGERIA POLICE

NOT The Nigerian Police

Read the history of the nigeria police, u will know why they are not your friend
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by shortgun(m): 7:34pm On Nov 29, 2021
LordJoffrey:

Upon realization of fraud, the contract becomes voidable and you can either go on with the contract or rescind. Generally, fraud is both a tort and a crime. In your case however, you can instigate a criminal proceeding against the fraudster.

PS, I'm just a 100lvl law student and I'm still learning
Thanks for the insight...you did well.
Never look down on yourself, even if you just bought jamb form cheesy.
We are all learning
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by chatinent: 7:37pm On Nov 29, 2021
jimmynauty:

Oya arrest him for turning tins...him de try show him be good abi...where receipt for your tithe last Sunday?
Asswear
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by chatinent: 7:38pm On Nov 29, 2021
Mancrossfire:

Chatinent! Chatinent!!chatinent!!!
How many times I kwuu you? grin grin
Two

Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by sniperwolf(m): 8:05pm On Nov 29, 2021
Civil wrong can result to breach of peace and that is when the police might arrest
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by DaddyGngeess(m): 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2021
When they come for you read this laws to them
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by koning: 1:21am On Nov 30, 2021

Nothing like 'civil wrong' when the Nigerian police is involved. The person you owe money will settle them and you will be arrested for OBT.

The normal civil debt you owe will be changed to OBT.

That way police will chop from both sides.
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Drogunov: 2:07am On Nov 30, 2021
Hugged:

Siddon there dey write English. Just pray you don't fall into their hands. You will wish you were not born by the time they finish with you.
Re: 5 Things The Police Cannot Do To You As A Nigerian Citizen. by Poleski: 8:22am On Nov 30, 2021
Believe at your own risk that the inept and corrupt Nigeria Police Force (NPF) will follow these rules.

In fact, NPF continues to actively engage in activities that are in direct violation of these laws. It is selective in its observance of the law.

While there is a printed announcement on the wall at NPF stations that says "Bail is free!" some corrupt policemen still seek bail money while sitting under the sign!

The NPF has an endemic degree of corruption that cannot be eradicated!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sarki Trends At Number 1 As He Declares Support For Atiku Abubakar / Conspiracies Against President Jonathan - Dr Odinaka Chukwuka / Goodluck Jonathan Reacts To Yusuf Buhari's Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.