Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,664 members, 7,813,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself (23549 Views)

Meet The 24-year-old Nigerian Lady Who Achieved Bsc, Msc, And Started Phd / Adey Orla Bags PhD In Biomedical Engineering From University Of Saskatchewan / Rasheed Jimoh-Ijaodola, Muslim Professor Bags PhD In Christian Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by ejimatic: 12:01pm On Nov 29, 2021
ejimatic:
. Something is called added advantage in academics. That was in those days. I am talking about reality not ideology. In essence I am saying you should know how to play your game in academics for PhD in view does not change anything in the academic market. It is whom you know.Regretably PhD holders roam about in Nigeria now with many in secondary schools. I wish those on the program well . It will give them their desired Jobs.
In academics now as they declare vacancies all are shared by the movers and shakers.So inclusion of PhD in view has no value unlike on the past when it was view as an added advantage.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by OChimex: 12:13pm On Nov 29, 2021
kamtrix:
Happy Sunday all, please for those who have experience in these things, for someone who register for PhD in Nigeria but hasn't done dissertation and course work, or maybe even just started like 3 months ago, what is the title the person is to write on documents, some places online say PhD(s) for some countries and PhD(abd), but please in Nigeria what's the ball game? Thanks

Call yourself "P" then when you finally graduate you add the remaining "hD"

2 Likes

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by AKWATGOLD1(m): 12:51pm On Nov 29, 2021
If you know what UK called their PHD in embrayo then Nigeria own is that of UK.

kamtrix:
Happy Sunday all, please for those who have experience in these things, for someone who register for PhD in Nigeria but hasn't done dissertation and course work, or maybe even just started like 3 months ago, what is the title the person is to write on documents, some places online say PhD(s) for some countries and PhD(abd), but please in Nigeria what's the ball game? Thanks
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Archbishop88: 1:16pm On Nov 29, 2021
PhD Fellow or PhD Candidate.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Firstcitizen: 1:17pm On Nov 29, 2021
Na only Naija Person go hear

Engineer Okoro
Surveyor Badamusi
Architect Bilikisu

Yeye people and titles
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Ninthpope: 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2021
Your title is a STUDENT
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by confirmedniggae: 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2021
clockwisereport:

Na wetin kill us be that.

Bsc, msc, ttc, htc, HIV, OPC, NNPC, JJC with nothing to show for it

THE THING WEAK ME.may be the niggae dont even have up to 10k in his account sef

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by CEOwatazs: 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2021
kamtrix:
OP I'M SURE YOU'VE GOTT. YOUR ANSWER BY NOW..... INBTWN; PLEASE WHICH SCHOOL ARE YOU DOING YOUR PHD.... WANNA ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS. THANKS
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by ajl: 3:23pm On Nov 29, 2021
You don't add a PhD-whatever to our name until after you got it officially. Even if you are a PhD candidate, after you've passed your candidacy or comprehensive exam, you don't need to insert that under your name. It's of no value. But in a country like Nigeria where even a panel beater want to be addressed as "Engineer", then one wouldn't be surprised if someone who just started his/her PhD program put "PhD in Progress" after their names. I never used any part of it until after the day I submitted my thesis.

3 Likes

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by ajl: 3:26pm On Nov 29, 2021
Archbishop88:
PhD Fellow or PhD Candidate.

Nothing like a PhD Fellow. You can only be a Postdoctoral Fellow. That's after you take up a research position in an organization or institution after completing your PhD. And you can't be a Postdoctoral Fellow forever. It's only for research experience working under the guide of a well experienced professor.

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by gwinaB(m): 4:10pm On Nov 29, 2021
sageb:

You are called a Doctorate candidate.
In your seminar and essay,this will be your description.
Mr. Claude Ake,
Doctorate candidate, public administrative and developmental studies( Phd. In view) Uniport
Msc, political science and public administration. UniUyo
Bsc, political and administrative studies. Uniben

Someone that is yet to finish course work is not a doctorate candidate yet. What if he/she doesn't make the necessary grade to qualify?
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by bezimo(m): 4:17pm On Nov 29, 2021
kamtrix:

You refer to yourself as either a PhD student or a PhD candidate. When I started mine in Canada 5 years ago, that's how we addressed ourselves. You had to pass a candidacy exam and a proposal exam before you can say, you are in there. Today I am a Dr. but I don't feel like one. lmao!

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by damoceile: 5:15pm On Nov 29, 2021
Nigerians and oppression

All these Nigerian professors without a single innovation to their name grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by ademuyiwa20(f): 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2021
Make I learn first.

MTN data subscription available for as low as#300/GB. do well to patronize. More details in signature.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by onunwa21(m): 6:20pm On Nov 29, 2021
Half doctor!!
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 29, 2021
joyandfaith:
Nigerians and tiles. In France it only medical doctors that can use the title of Dr. Phd programmes are for those in academics and they don't use title Dr. They put Phd after their name.
In some countries as well, use of Dr title for non- physcian is restricted in any healthcare setting and if you have to use Dr, you must qualify it so as not to confuse the patients.
If you are yet to get your Phd, use Phd (in view), you are still a candidate.

The earlier you realize doctor is actually a title originally designated for academics not physicians the better. Check the etymology of the word, it means "to teach" "docere". PhDs are far more qualified to use the title than anyone else.

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by joyandfaith: 6:41pm On Nov 29, 2021
Thiwalade:

The earlier you realize doctor is actually a title for academics not physicians. Check the etymology of the word, it means "to teach" "docere". PhDs are far more qualified to use the title than anyone else.

Go and tell that in developed nations where it is norms for doctors to use the title Dr not PhD holders esp in healthcare setting. Even use of Dr title for physicians is more ancient than PhD degree.
In France, it is only physicians that are allowed to use the title Dr. If you are interested in academic title in France , you have to work harder to become a Professor.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 29, 2021
joyandfaith:

Go and tell that in developed nations where it is norms for doctors to use the title Dr not PhD holders esp in healthcare setting. Even use of Dr title for physicians is more ancient than PhD degree.
In France, it is only physicians that are allowed to use the title Dr. If you are interested in academic title in France , you have to work harder to become a Professor.

Why not fact check what I've told you. Whether physicians in France are the only one allowed to use it or not does not change the original meaning and purpose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by joyandfaith: 7:36pm On Nov 29, 2021
Thiwalade:

Why not fact check what I've told you. Whether physicians in France are the only one allowed to use it or not does not change the original meaning and purpose.

Read the Wikipedia page till the end
and cure your ignorance.
Check International Standard Classification of Education book and see how medical degree is placed.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by IDnoble1: 7:41pm On Nov 29, 2021
Kriss216:
Nigerians and titles undecided

Smh
All na for stupid ego, many of them have nothing to offer
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by bahaushe1: 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2021
PhD scholar. No title.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Organs(m): 1:27am On Nov 30, 2021
twosquare:
3-4 years...not all Ph.D. programs involve coursework. Some are purely research-based. It depends on your institution. The time of strike should be used to complete your 200-250 page dissertation or less.

That is why it is advisable to do the Ph.D. in Europe...not the US, please.

You're absolutely right.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by bezimo(m): 3:32am On Nov 30, 2021
Thiwalade:

The earlier you realize doctor is actually a title originally designated for academics not physicians the better. Check the etymology of the word, it means "to teach" "docere". PhDs are far more qualified to use the title than anyone else.

Absolutely true.Some people should educate their ignorance.

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by bezimo(m): 3:37am On Nov 30, 2021
joyandfaith:

Big fat liar..I lived in France and schooled there in a one of the grande ecoles(elites schools).
In my school, the academics who taught us all held a PhD and were addressed as Drs. So its a lie that only Medical doctors/Physicians are addressed with the Dr title in France..Academics that hold a PhD are also addressed as Drs.

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 30, 2021
bezimo:

Big fat liar..I lived in France and schooled there in a one of the grande ecoles(elites schools).
In my school, the academics who taught us all held a PhD and were addressed as Drs. So its a lie that only Medical doctors/Physicians are addressed with the Dr title in France..Academics that hold a PhD are also addressed as Drs.

I stopped arguing with him the moment he started going off Point. Only fools never learn or admit their error. He just wants to say something, when he can see clearly that the word DOCTOR means to teach he's still talking about how well placed and whatnot. Typical reaction I get from these physicians claiming doctor. They don't even know the meaning of the title.

1 Like

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
joyandfaith:

Read the Wikipedia page till the end
and cure your ignorance.
Check International Standard Classification of Education book and see how medical degree is placed.
Show me the evidence for this as I have shown you...
Stop disgracing yourself on a public forum. Stop arguing blindly and learn. Doctor means "to teach"

Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by joyandfaith: 4:33pm On Nov 30, 2021
Thiwalade:

Show me the evidence for this as I have shown you...
Stop disgracing yourself on a public forum. Stop arguing blindly and learn. Doctor means "to teach"
Read
International Standard Classification of Education book and appreciate medical degree first.
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by Clazzone(m): 5:50pm On Nov 30, 2021
Nigerians and title...

Titles without substances...

Substances without impact...
Re: What Does Someone Who Just Started Phd In Nigeria Call Himself Or Herself by calcal: 2:13am On Dec 01, 2021
clockwisereport:

Na wetin kill us be that.

Bsc, msc, ttc, htc, HIV, OPC, NNPC, JJC with nothing to show for it

With all the titles they cannot still build a coconut refinery without the white men

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Zahrah Ibrahim Wins Best Paper Award At The University Of Aberdeen / After 5 Years Studying Agricultural Economics, I OFFICIALLY Signed Out Today!! / WAEC May/june 2016 Will Released Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.