Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,966 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) (42302 Views)

Protesters Disrupt Flights At Port Harcourt International Airport (photo) / Alfa Ekele, Nigerian Aviation Student Dies In Plane Crash At US Airport (Photo) / 78-Year-Old Woman Stranded At Lagos Airport. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by brandsoncharlie: 10:33pm On Nov 28, 2021
everglaze01:
That is an expansion joint,it is part of the building design to allow for expansion and compression. It is normal, and you have nothing to worry about.
Please disregard this comment. That's a structural failure not what you are talking about. That structure is old enough for reconstruction not even retrofitting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Originalsly: 10:36pm On Nov 28, 2021
Why would expansion joints be on pillars? I've been in soooo many such parking lots ... and underground parking lots in high rise buildings where there is great fluctuation in seasonal temperatures and have never ever seen expansion joints on pillars. My best guess is sloppy work ... the mould used to cast the concrete left that crease when removed and it was never filled up after. The same can be said of the beams with the apparent crack... most likely the where two plates used to set the concrete reached. The plates were removed and the rough seam not filled in and smooth out. If not ... then the pillars and beams are really coming apart at their weakest points. Just my take!

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by dynosur: 10:39pm On Nov 28, 2021
Bilabong:
Nigeria don't have maintaince culture. I won't be surprised if nothing is done until the unthinkable happens

That is an expansion joint. They can decide to leave that cracked part open but cemented. There is no cause for alarm.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by everglaze01: 10:42pm On Nov 28, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

Please disregard this comment. That's a structural failure not what you are talking about. That structure is old enough for reconstruction not even retrofitting.
Are you a professional in any field in construction? Have you seen an expansion joint before?

4 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by brandsoncharlie: 10:42pm On Nov 28, 2021
Olaoluwa112:
The issue about building collapse shouldn't be based only on contractors, builders, I think it's time we start looking into the materials used for the building.

The cement they're making today has reduced in quality despite the high in price of the goods, what about the iron that should be raw iron, now they are mixing them with aluminium.
Yet no one talks about it.
Who are the professionals responsible for this project?
In our on part of the world we produce mushroom engineers who cannot solve a problem let alone research about quality of materials used in civil works.
The blame is on the civil engineers, external organizations of suppliers, buyers, sub contractors, construction planners that has failed to research on the quality of materials used in construction before doing an estimate for the client or owner of this project works.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by CountVersailles(f): 10:48pm On Nov 28, 2021
NwaNimo1:
It is well.....

[img]https://c./iTVew4tQ8aUAAAAd/kingdome-demolition.gif[/img]
Odey. That's a controlled demolition
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by emae009(m): 10:49pm On Nov 28, 2021
Originalsly:
Why would expansion joints be on pillars? I've been in soooo many such parking lots ... and underground parking lots in high rise buildings where there is great fluctuation in seasonal temperatures and have never ever seen expansion joints on pillars. My best guess is sloppy work ... the mold used to cast the concrete left that crease when removed and it was never filled up after. The same can be said of the beams with the apparent crack... most likely the where two plates used to set the concrete reached. The plates were removed and the rough seam not filled in and smooth out. If not ... then the pillars and beams are really coming apart at their weakest points. Just my take!

depends on the structural design... expansion joints can be used in slab, beam, columns, walls connections

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by brandsoncharlie: 10:49pm On Nov 28, 2021
Originalsly:
Why would expansion joints be on pillars? I've been in soooo many such parking lots ... and underground parking lots in high rise buildings where there is great fluctuation in seasonal temperatures and have never ever seen expansion joints on pillars. My best guess is sloppy work ... the mold used to cast the concrete left that crease when removed and it was never filled up after. The same can be said of the beams with the apparent crack... most likely the where two plates used to set the concrete reached. The plates were removed and the rough seam not filled in and smooth out. If not ... then the pillars and beams are really coming apart at their weakest points. Just my take!
I have not seen any expansion joint on R.C columns before, that poster I don't know where he has seen such before.

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by raphy(m): 10:54pm On Nov 28, 2021
Some one has hide drugs inside tht pillar later they will ship it out.

.na the new way be thT
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Originalsly: 10:57pm On Nov 28, 2021
emae009:

depends on the structural design... expansion joints can be used in slab, beam, columns, walls connections

Can be used ... no doubt.... but have you ever seen expansion joints used in any column or beam?

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by NessFortunate: 11:00pm On Nov 28, 2021
padi94:
They will not fix it now until e happen, them go come say them want investigate
before that they send condolence messages. Like they care.
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by ashawopikin(m): 11:09pm On Nov 28, 2021
WAHALA!!

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Ajiquality: 11:15pm On Nov 28, 2021
What you see on the columns is not crack but expansion joint. It is provided in Civil Engineering structures like building and bridges to ease the process of expansion and contraction. Check the floor and the slab, you will also find the line there. This is not in any way a sign of distress.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by hibeebeeking: 11:18pm On Nov 28, 2021
You can call it a crack,as a lay man talk. Mind you,it's an expansion joint. That is normal in construction of a building or bridges that has a long length.

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Ajiquality: 11:26pm On Nov 28, 2021
@Originally, expansion joint can cut through all the elements of a building including wall, beam, slab column and so on. I,m sure you are not a civil Engineer, your ignorance is understandable.

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by omoadeleye(m): 11:34pm On Nov 28, 2021
Joysticks:
Thank God the contract for the construction of third mainland bridges were not awarded to a Nigerian contractor.

Abi na, and some stvpid people will be like, the government is not patronising home made, wtf, all these home made individuals are doing woefully in their fields

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by EngrChima88: 11:56pm On Nov 28, 2021
Expansion joint bro

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Poanan: 11:59pm On Nov 28, 2021
nkemoma:
How does that concern the poor masses?

They are the ones cleaning the basement
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by klas(m): 12:14am On Nov 29, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

How many years?
That is the multistorey car park of the domestic terminal 2.
It was built around 2009.

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by elbaraj2020(m): 12:51am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:
It’s not a danger/hazard.

Check the beams and the floor. You’ll know it was designed. The irregular line on the column shows there was a deliberate gap between columns that was plastered over.

They should have just left the elastomeric filling material but some aesthetic-concerned individual decided to screed and paint over an expansion joint.

No cause for alarm
U sure?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Brotherman(m): 12:55am On Nov 29, 2021
It is an expansion joint, part of the structural design
[q1uote author=jaybenugo post=108041860]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW05hQdrdbM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

[/quote]
Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by SPIFF(m): 1:06am On Nov 29, 2021
They put in buildings as well most especially high rise or heavy structures
MrJames007:
I only see expansion joints on bridges/flyovers o.

3 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by noblemuk: 1:45am On Nov 29, 2021
This is not a defect...from the line on the ground you can tell that this is a construction Joint. This is normal in structural building construction. The building is separated at this line with independent pillars and beams to avoid structural failure due to expansion and contraction of concrete. This. Can also be seen in bridges also. We should be careful before raising false alarms.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Chinny024(f): 2:48am On Nov 29, 2021
They will plaster it with dangote cement and paint it tomorrow grin shocked

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Xtopher123(m): 4:41am On Nov 29, 2021
That's an expansion joint. Though requires constant maintenance.

There's no cause for alarm. If you look through, you'll see the slit runs all through the columns on that line as well the beams and slab above and below.

It's very normal.

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by fippycbk(m): 4:42am On Nov 29, 2021
Originalsly:

Can be used ... no doubt.... but have you ever seen expansion joints used in any column or beam?

Y'all need to understand what an expansion joint is before making some assertions. Just to be sure, what do you think expansion joints are?

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Xtopher123(m): 4:48am On Nov 29, 2021
Originalsly:
Why would expansion joints be on pillars? I've been in soooo many such parking lots ... and underground parking lots in high rise buildings where there is great fluctuation in seasonal temperatures and have never ever seen expansion joints on pillars. My best guess is sloppy work ... the mould used to cast the concrete left that crease when removed and it was never filled up after. The same can be said of the beams with the apparent crack... most likely the where two plates used to set the concrete reached. The plates were removed and the rough seam not filled in and smooth out. If not ... then the pillars and beams are really coming apart at their weakest points. Just my take!

You can have expansion joints at strategic location with a maximum of 30 meters apart from each other.

And usually expansion joints are located where there are columns and beams to support each side of the expansion. In this case you have half of the column supporting one side and the other half supporting the other with their respective beams. This is by design. Each half has been calculated to fit. And because this is a circular column, this is the only way to do the expansion joint.

Apart from expansion and contraction, also to allow uneven settlement based on the terrain and soil capacity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by NwokoloOwa: 4:50am On Nov 29, 2021
False and Ill-Informed alarm. Over sabinus

This isn't something to worry about. Clearly the so called 'cracks' on the pillars are along the expansion joint. Expansion joints divide buildings into segments allowing for structural movements. This is in order.

No cause for any alarm.

2 Likes

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by cia698(m): 5:04am On Nov 29, 2021
Notice a continuous line from the beams to the columns. It's designed to accommodate for expansion and contraction due to change in temperature and plate movement. No cause for alarm.

1 Like

Re: Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) by Tzar(m): 5:29am On Nov 29, 2021
JESUS!!! This is a disaster waiting to happen!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Deji Yesufu: Coronavirus, Cancelled Flights In Berlin, Nigerian Saves Me / Edo Accidents Kill 15 People, Including 4 Girls & 2 Boys Of Same Parents / Many Passengers Killed In Accident On Enugu/Onitsha Road (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.