Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent (2859 Views)

Kabiru Sokoto Claims He Is Innocent / Al-Mustapha Is Innocent - Fani Kayode / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by forestxxx(m): 11:49am On Jul 27, 2007
This is a work of uncreditable, dishonest and corrupt tabloids

i have carefully digested all what everyone on this forum as posted on the OPRAH WINFREY thing and i have every reason to believe that its a campaign against oprah winfrey credibilty and status for one i would never in my mind doubt that Oprah would say such a thing thats is why i decided to get to the root of the matter i visited her website and discovered that she only did a show on scams and you know definately nigerians would be involved and there is PROOF that she didnt make that statemnet that was earlier instigated my PUNCH AND TELL tabloids here is a link to the page on her website you would find these statement at the last part of the page

STATEMENT-"I know we're going to get a letter from somebody saying that Nigeria has a lot of wonderful people. You don't have to send the letter," Oprah says. "We already know that. We're just talking about this particular scam that's going on. We're not talking about the entire country and everybody in the country."

HERE IS- http://www2.oprah.com/money/credit/200704/money_20070413_284_117.jhtml
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Mamajama(m): 2:06pm On Jul 27, 2007
ALL Nigerians need to boycoot Oprah show and let her rating go down
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by BABEELOVE(f): 2:38pm On Jul 27, 2007
It is very easy to see that Jesus Christ will be "persecuted" again when he comes for the second or third time to save the world---or so He plans!!! Even when there is a ray of hope that "Oprah" might be innocent-----some are still crying "CRUCIFY HER, CRUCIFY HER!!!!

Nigeria really has a long way to go!!! We are so filled with hate, that good things continue to elude us. What it will take for us to reason like "normal" people is still a difficult task for God to understand!!!!! It is a shame!!!!!
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by angel101(f): 2:40pm On Jul 27, 2007
@ poster
Who says she is innocent?
The statement u have quoted is even enough indictment. why would she say dont bother to tell us u have good nigerians? for me sha o, no more oprah!
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Mamajama(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2007
you people should go back to sleep.  What has Oprah done for Nigerians?  her school in South African would have helped millions in Nigeria, until she come and help us she is just one of them, I have respect for her and her organization, but she need to spread her generosity to Nigeria not just south Africa.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by BABEELOVE(f): 2:44pm On Jul 27, 2007
What have Nigerians done for Nigeria We cannot remain "beggars" for life you know!!! No one has established guilt or innocense in this Oprah case so why are we taking sides
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by McKren(m): 2:45pm On Jul 27, 2007
angel101:

@ poster
Who says she is innocent?
The statement u have quoted is even enough indictment. why would she say don't bother to tell us u have good nigerians? for me sha o, no more oprah!

Forest simply demonstrated that he does not know when he is being insulted. He does not even know how disrespectful the statement he quoted is.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by McKren(m): 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2007
Nigeria does not need Oprah's help, all we ask for is to show us some respect in her show.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by angel101(f): 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2007
@McKren
It really beats me!
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by BABEELOVE(f): 2:50pm On Jul 27, 2007
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed I give up!!!!
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by forestxxx(m): 3:11pm On Jul 27, 2007
(Angel101) offcourse everyone knows by now that nigerians have corruption and fraudsters but those people only contribute to 1% of nigerians so definately that 1% is bound to hurt the remaining 99%, the mere fact that she did a show on SCAMS doesn't mean  silly tabloids should take it personal.
she didn't talk about nigeria alone other countries too ( russia, austrialia etc) were involved as well, so PEOPLE GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE You LAY ANY BLAME
Until now there as been no PROOF  that she accused all nigerians until there is she is INNOCENT by all standards
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by angel101(f): 3:15pm On Jul 27, 2007
Let the russians and australians speak for themselves. I am a nigerian and I'm not fraudulent.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Mamajama(m): 3:16pm On Jul 27, 2007
BABEELOVE  
GIVE up please you are selling us the good Nigerians out, I am disgusted at the Oprah statement, I've been in the states for over a decade, Never been in trouble and I don't associate with criminals, yes there are some bad Nigerians out there just like it is in every society. 80% of drug coming to USA is coming from MEXICO and CUBANS< are they not affecting AMERICAN YOUTHS?  Look at the statistics, there are more white collar crime and fraud committed against retail store in the UNITED stated compare to this Nigerian internet scam, and yet all we hear about is Nigeria, because we have a useless government that cant stand up and fight for his people.

TO ALL MY FELLOW NIGERIANS I SAY LETS Boycott THE SHOW FOR A MONTH AND See how fast her ratings go down.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by doyin13(m): 3:17pm On Jul 27, 2007
Well even in the den of thieves, you can find some modicum of pride.

Everyday we castigate numerous Nigerians on this forum, but once a foreigner makes an obvious observation, we get the hump.

Nonsense

switches to ITV3 for Oprah show
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by toshmann(m): 3:18pm On Jul 27, 2007
forest_xxx:

STATEMENT-"I know we're going to get a letter from somebody saying that Nigeria has a lot of wonderful people. You don't have to send the letter," Oprah says. "We already know that. We're just talking about this particular scam that's going on. We're not talking about the entire country and everybody in the country."

somehow i find this statement annoying  angry  angry
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by toshmann(m): 3:19pm On Jul 27, 2007
doyin13:

Well even in the den of thieves, you can find some modicum of pride.

Everyday we castigate numerous Nigerians on this forum, but once a foreigner makes an obvious observation, we get the hump.

Nonsense

switches to ITV3 for Oprah show

and this more annoying angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Bankole01(m): 3:20pm On Jul 27, 2007
Mamajama:

you people should go back to sleep.  What has Oprah done for Nigerians?  her school in South African would have helped millions in Nigeria, until she come and help us she is just one of them, I have respect for her and her organization, but she need to spread her generosity to Nigeria not just south Africa.

AS a Nigerian, I would not easily give money to any governmental agency to do anything in Nigeria. We all know full well the money will not tricle down to the needed point. so why should any foreigner be chatised for not giving their hard earned money to Nigeria, knowing full well our corrupt governments and people.

Lets stop playing the blame game and clean up our acts. those of us who complain when people label us ascorrupt, aid and abett the criminals among us. When you see a person flagrantly flaunt or break the laws and you keep silent. you have become an accomplise. even when you do not turn that person to the authorities, you must make sure you let this person know the act is wrong and you do not condone such behavior.

When we become pro-active and self policing, others will notice and give the respect we so much demand. We are our own worst enemies.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Mamajama(m): 3:21pm On Jul 27, 2007
Retail Fraud is one of the hottest topics for retailers today, and features high on their
agenda. Why? Quite simply because by tackling fraud, in all it’s complexities, retailers
can see immediate bottom line savings. In the case of B&Q for example, by investing in a till monitoring system the company saved £1 million on staff fraud in a year! With saturation point having already being reached in many areas of the retail environment, and prices being driven lower all the time, retail processes are being looked at with an ever more scrutinising eye.

There is no doubt that fraud, both physical, electronic, malicious or accidental from
staff or customers is one area that has traditionally been paid little more than lip
service. Retailers now simply must invest in systems and solutions that will combat
fraud and loss and by doing so, save themselves thousands and millions of pounds.

According to the British Retail Consortium criminal activity cost UK retailers £2.2bn
last year. With 20% of all retail fraud being linked to credit card alone. On average,
theft is responsible for losses equal to 2 to 5 percent of turnover. A staggering 53
percent of unseen losses are the result of employee theft

ARE THEY NIGERIANS?
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by doyin13(m): 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2007
Mamajama:

Retail Fraud is one of the hottest topics for retailers today, and features high on their
agenda. Why? Quite simply because by tackling fraud, in all it’s complexities, retailers
can see immediate bottom line savings. In the case of B&Q for example, by investing in a till monitoring system the company saved £1 million on staff fraud in a year! With saturation point having already being reached in many areas of the retail environment, and prices being driven lower all the time, retail processes are being looked at with an ever more scrutinising eye.

There is no doubt that fraud, both physical, electronic, malicious or accidental from
staff or customers is one area that has traditionally been paid little more than lip
service. Retailers now simply must invest in systems and solutions that will combat
fraud and loss and by doing so, save themselves thousands and millions of pounds.

According to the British Retail Consortium criminal activity cost UK retailers £2.2bn
last year. With 20% of all retail fraud being linked to credit card alone. On average,
theft is responsible for losses equal to 2 to 5 percent of turnover. A staggering 53
percent of unseen losses are the result of employee theft

ARE THEY NIGERIANS?

Funny you should say, acording to stats. that is our most pervasive occupation in the UK.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Mamajama(m): 3:25pm On Jul 27, 2007
Health Care Fraud
Total U. S. Healthcare Spending

Health Care in the United States has become a trillion dollar a year industry. This means that over $100 billion a year goes to fraudulent activity. This is part of the reason for a steep increase in the cost of your insurance.

How Much Fraud

Agencies that track statistics put the cost of healthcare fraud at anywhere from 3% - 15%, with 10% being the most accepted figure.

3-10% National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association
10% General Accounting Office
10% The Congressional Budget Office
15% The U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by doyin13(m): 3:26pm On Jul 27, 2007
Well i was being facetious but Naija dey do credit card fraud well well for here.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by angel101(f): 3:28pm On Jul 27, 2007
doyin13:

Well i was being facetious but Naija dey do credit card fraud well well for here.

Possibly, but do we account for the highest percentage of credit card fraud? I'm sure u will find the answer is NO. check out the paki guys!
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 27, 2007
That Statement just told us Not to bother defending our country. A lot of Nigerians do good thing for Nigeria. Someone just made an annymous donation of 300 million for the complete rehabilitation of the Leprousy centre in abuja.
I work in the grassroots and I know how much help we get from Nigerians most of them do not like publicty. They support us all the waY, some of them make out time and energy to lobby for better policies for us. It is as a result of such Lobbying that An Action Commitee on Cancer was innugrated.
It is just that so many bad things happen and people and even the press prefer to carry bad News.
The press is mostly interested in carrying Political News, plus we do not have money to put in brown envelops as a requsite for getting publicity. We prefer to utilize all contributions we get properly.
A lot of Nigerians Contribute thier widows might to various causes, some who do not have money donate land or their free services
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by tpia: 4:12pm On Jul 27, 2007
@ mamajama

can you explain your statement? because I feel Oprah can invest her money wherever she wants . If she likes, she can build a school in Papua new Guinea or in Finland. Did she collect her wealth from the Nigerian government? or is it Nigerian oil money?

what will one not read on this forum. I've already been suspecting people's problem is because they want Oprah to claim she's Nigerian.

Na wa o. Are  some Nigerians really this selfish and jealous?
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Mamajama(m): 4:27pm On Jul 27, 2007
tpia in that case she has no credibility talking about Nigerians or our beloved country.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by forestxxx(m): 5:10pm On Jul 27, 2007
( angel 101 ) you are not the only nigerian that feels this pain, sometimes i want to break into pieces because of bad reptutation we as a country as
developed in the eyes on the world because of some of our corrupt officials and fraudsters, that doesn't mean we should bash someone else for our own
problems.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by tpia: 5:44pm On Jul 27, 2007
Mamajama:

tpia in that case she has no credibility talking about Nigerians or our beloved country.

did you hear her with your own ears?

all this vitriol because of a baseless rumor. The article most of you are talking about  IS A LETTER WRITTEN BY AN INSTIGATOR.

If someone says mamajama went and robbed a bank, does that mean you actually did it? 

i tire o.

i dont know when Oprah and Nigeria started war.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Planner(m): 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2007
I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH!
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Planner(m): 6:30pm On Jul 27, 2007
all this vitriol because of a baseless rumor. The article most of you are talking about IS A LETTER WRITTEN BY AN INSTIGATOR.

But there is no smoke without fire.
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2007
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by doyin13(m): 7:00pm On Jul 27, 2007
@guddsid

well she does point out things that are wrong with the A-American community, especially hip hop
Re: Stop Bashing Oprah Winfrey She Is Innocent by tpia: 7:20pm On Jul 27, 2007
Planner:

I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH! I HATE OPRAH!

so don't watch her show. That's all there is to it.

She did not get to where she is today because of her Nigerian audience.

and yes, there can be smoke without fire. have you ever heard of urban legends?

I don't even watch Oprah, that much, but I just don't know why some people are bent on creating issues with her on behalf of Nigeria.

check her website; if you find any proof that she said what she's being accused of, let me know.  The article was written by some disgruntled element who may not even be Nigerian.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fg Bans Tokunbo Cars Of 10 Years And Above , Reduces Duties On Raw Materials / Ibadan, Nsukka, Anambra And Imo universities / Lawmakers Design Scheme To Hide Jumbo Pay !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.