Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,576 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour (3899 Views)

See The Moment Elephant Sit On People During Sit-at-home (Photos) / Did Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe Betray His People During The War? This Is What He Said!! / Twitter User Describes Macron's Visit To Nigeria & Got People Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by koondog: 1:07am On Dec 05, 2021
Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour
https://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Captain-Hugh-Crow-Times/dp/1851243216

1 Like

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Praxis758: 1:22am On Dec 05, 2021
How did an innovative state like Abia end up with an olodo governor like Ikpeazu?

8 Likes

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Rexwalters1: 1:28am On Dec 05, 2021
oluztx:
It's a known fact original or real Igbo people are naturally light skin people, tall and very attractive, both men and women.

Forget all these short, ugly and very dark skin fake Igbos you see like Gov Ikpeazu and Mr. Ibu, these are not pure Igbo people. These are the neighbors the white people were talking about, that the Igbos met when they arrived Igboland or came to live among the Igbos. A true pure Igbo man looks like Nnamdi Kanu.

These were some of the traits that made white people very curious about them and eager to work with because they looked different from their neighbors, and white people being racist, considered them superior to their neighbors Yorubaas and Haussas who are jet black skin.
Mr Biafra, post a picture of yourself, let us see how you look?

All igbo men look like Mazi Kanu, Obi Cubana is a Hausa Man from Rano, whose great grandparents came to work in the coal mines of Enugu in the early1930’s?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Rexwalters1: 1:32am On Dec 05, 2021
Praxis758:
How did an innovative state like Abia end up with an olodo governor like Ikpeazu?
Innovators in looting?

1 Like

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by BKayy: 2:51am On Dec 05, 2021
oluztx:
It's a known fact original or real Igbo people are naturally light skin people, tall and very attractive, both men and women.

Forget all these short, ugly and very dark skin fake Igbos you see like Gov Ikpeazu and Mr. Ibu, these are not pure Igbo people. These are the neighbors the white people were talking about, that the Igbos met when they arrived Igboland or came to live among the Igbos. A true pure Igbo man looks like Nnamdi Kanu.

These were some of the traits that made white people very curious about them and eager to work with because they looked different from their neighbors, and white people being racist, considered them superior to their neighbors Yorubaas and Haussas who are jet black skin.
You are the most stupid idiot I have ever seen.

If you have little sense, you would have known that siblings can come in different shades. So, according to your stupidity some are real while the rest are fake.

Mpama

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by paramakina202: 3:03am On Dec 05, 2021
oluztx:

This is one of your ancestors,.People with mix race don't have flat noses as described by that European.You can see the Fulanis that have Arab blood how they look like...Ethiopians and Somalians.We are typical Africans.Your Jewish claim is dead on arrival.

5 Likes

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by IGBOSON1: 3:22am On Dec 05, 2021
paramakina202:

This is one of your ancestors,.People with mix race don't have flat noses as described by that European.You can see the Fulanis that have Arab blood how they look like...Ethiopians and Somalians.We are typical Africans.Your Jewish claim is dead on arrival.

It's a known fact that Igbos can be quite fair....this doesn't preclude the fact that there are darkskinned Igbos too! The time the British explorer wrote this, there were probably a higher percentage of light-skinned Igbos than you have today and more concentrated in ceratin clans....but given the growth in movement and interaction amongst the different clans, this would naturally lead to inter-marriages and a dillution of the lighter shade.

The guy you quoted is right about Igbos known for having Mazi Kanus' lighter complexion....and i've noticed they're mainly found around the lower part of Igboland (Abia and Imo). I've also noticed some Akwa-Ibomites have a similar lighter complexion as well! If you found his post insulting to the Yoruba and Hausa, then take him up on that, rather than writing off his theory in its entirety!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by BKayy: 3:25am On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

It's a known fact that Igbos can be quite fair....this doesn't preclude the fact that there are darkskinned Igbos too! The time the British explorer wrote this, there were probably a higher percentage of light-skinned Igbos than you have today and more concentrated in ceratin clans....but given the growth in movement and interaction amongst the different clans, this would naturally lead to inter-marriages and a dillution of the lighter shade.

The guy you quoted is right about Igbos known for having Mazi Kanus' lighter complexion....and i've noticed they're mainly found around the lower part of Igboland (Abia and Imo). I've also noticed some Akwa-Ibomites have a similar lighter complexion as well! If you found his post insulting to the Yoruba and Hausa, then take him up on that, rather than writing off his theory in its entirety!
Nope, there was never anytime there was higher percentage of fair Igbo.

Lets not allow this stupidity go far.
The report said "many" which means a sizeable amount not "most"

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by IGBOSON1: 3:32am On Dec 05, 2021
BKayy:

Nope, there was never anytime there was higher percentage of fair Igbo.

Lets not allow this stupidity go far.
The report said "many" which means a sizeable amount not "most"

I know what i meant! I said 'a higher percentage than we have today'....meaning a higher number in the general Igbo population than is presently the case today! I didn't say that lighter-skinned were higher in number than darker-skinned as a percentage of the general population!

5 Likes

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by BKayy: 3:38am On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

I know what i meant! I said 'a higher percentage than we have today'....meaning a higher number in the general Igbo population than is presently the case today! I didn't say that lighter-skinned were higher in number than darker-skinned as a percentage of the general population!
I know what you people (mostly the ignorant ones in IPOB) are driving at and what you want to accomplish with this insanity but you people should just stop this complexion caste system you are trying to instigate.

If many of you doing this are Nnamdi Kanu extremely fair complexion, just know that you will lose. The dark ones greatly outnumber and outclass you people.

From next year, hope Uzodimma will be the only light skinned Governor in SE. Just for you to know.

Of all the Igbo billionaires and those that hold sway in Igbo land, dark skinned outnumber light skin by atleast 20 to 1

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by paramakina202: 3:50am On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

Yea even in my family we have mixture of fair skin and dark skin from same mother and father,my father is fair skin while my mother is dark skin so for example I took my mothers dark skin colour then I am not original Igbo according to your friends theory abi?
Yes there are a lot of southern Igbos who are fair in complexion and I happen to come from there and we don't believe in Jewish origin that is unknown to our ancestors we know the part of Igboland that is coming from with their own agenda.

3 Likes

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by IGBOSON1: 4:02am On Dec 05, 2021
BKayy:

I know what you people (mostly the ignorant ones in IPOB) are driving at and what you want to accomplish with this insanity but you people should just stop this complexion caste system you are trying to instigate.

If many of you doing this are Nnamdi Kanu extremely fair complexion, just know that you will lose. The dark ones greatly outnumber and outclass you people.

From next year, hope Uzodimma will be the only light skinned Governor in SE. Just for you to know.

Of all the Igbo billionaires and those that hold sway in Igbo land, dark skinned outnumber light skin by atleast 20 to 1

You're sounding insane mate! Why looking to read your own meaning into a post that is self-expalnatory and couldn't be clearer?

Just for the record, i couldn't give AF what your deluded mind thinks i'm driving at! I've noted my observation and if it doesn't sit well with you, then TOUGH! You couldn't fault my response and explanation to your daft accusation....that came out of nowhere, so you now go off on a tangent, yapping about IPOB, Hope Uzodinma and all what not!

You're now putting words in my mouth...that i'm supporting a 'complexion caste system'! Like....WTF dude!? Where in my post did i say or imply that lighter-skinned Igbos are of a higher caste than the darker-skinned!?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by IGBOSON1: 4:03am On Dec 05, 2021
paramakina202:

Yea even in my family we have mixture of fair skin and dark skin from same mother and father,my father is fair skin while my mother is dark skin so for example I took my mothers dark skin colour then I am not original Igbo according to your friends theory abi?
Yes there are a lot of southern Igbos who are fair in complexion and I happen to come from there and we don't believe in Jewish origin that is unknown to our ancestors we know the part of Igboland that is coming from with their own agenda.

Pray, what brought 'Jewish origin' into this!?
Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by BKayy: 4:06am On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

You're sounding insane mate! Why looking to read your own meaning into a post that is self-expalnatory and couldn't be clearer?

Just for the record, i couldn't give AF what your deluded mind thinks i'm driving at! I've noted my observation and if it doesn't sit well with you, then TOUGH! You couldn't fault my response and explanation to your daft accusation....that came out of nowhere, so you now go off on a tangent, yapping about IPOB, Hope Uzodinma and all what not!

You're now putting words in my mouth...that i'm supporting a 'complexion caste system'! Like....WTF dude!? Where in my post did i say or imply that lighter-skinned Igbos are of a higher caste than the darker-skinned!?
Here is your receipt

IGBOSON1:

The guy you quoted is right about Igbos known for having Mazi Kanus' lighter complexion....and i've noticed they're mainly found around the lower part of Igboland (Abia and Imo).
Now go back and read the dude's post again.

"okwu danaghi ọnụ, ntụtụ afia arụ"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by paramakina202: 4:18am On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

Pray, what brought 'Jewish origin' into this!?

oluztx:

Read the post of your good friend once again to know where I was coming.The Igbos that met dark skin aborigines according to his delusional theory came from where if not Israel?Btw Nnamdi Kanu's father is dark skin while his mother is light skin so his father was a fake Igbo while MNK is the real Igbo.You see how stupid the whole theory is?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Fejoku: 5:12am On Dec 05, 2021
We don't seem to learn the antics of the enemies. Day in day out they spend their time all out in search for topic, statements and whatever they can use to stoke arguments and quarrel among us. Isn't it clear to you all? If it isn't state based conjectures to throw at us, it will ideological differences they throw at us. If they don't attack MNK as a person, they will attack IPOB while praising Ndigbo. All these they do just to create a divide within our ranks so we become weak. Ask yourself, what is the aim of this thread? Did you even bother to see the time it was created? Did you even bother to know the antecedents of the moniker behind the thread? We must be wiser than these dolts by giving them the silent treatment or derailing a useless thread targeted at us once we see it. Our enemies are restless all through the hours like the devil seeking to sow discord within us. Let us defeat them by detecting all their moves on time.
God Bless Ndigbo of all shades for He created them all.

Cc.
Bkayy
IGBOSON1

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Arda1000(m): 5:25am On Dec 05, 2021
paramakina202:

Fulani Arab blood grin u must be high on fermented Kunu
Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Golan007: 5:32am On Dec 05, 2021
I never knew fake and real igbos existed until this expose.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Arda1000(m): 5:38am On Dec 05, 2021
BKayy:

go look at an average Igbo family today if they are 6 in numbers then at least 4 are fair maybe not as fair but fair though,believe it or both dark skin are really declining in Igbo land wether all Igbo Billionaires are Dark Skin or not.
And most Igbo have this reddish color even Dave Umahi if you come close to him you would know his not as dark to an extent his fair on his the Dark Governor in Igbo land is Ikpeazu

2 Likes

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Godons1: 5:46am On Dec 05, 2021
oluztx:

Na lie. Na bleach them bleach their Skin. If you've been to their Region you will notice that, there are more black skin People than the fair ones. Out of the few fair ones, over 50% bleached their skin.

The man also failed to mention that, their Girls have "follow come" Yam Legs, Bear Bear for Face and Bear Bear for Chest. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Godons1: 5:49am On Dec 05, 2021
Rexwalters1:
Mr Biafra, post a picture of yourself, let us see how you look?

All igbo men look like Mazi Kanu, Obi Cubana is a Hausa Man from Rano, whose great grandparents came to work in the coal mines of Enugu in the early1930’s?

See Mr Biafra here. Them dey always fine online as he claimed. But in reality they look like a burnt ofering. grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by paramakina202: 5:56am On Dec 05, 2021
Arda1000:
Fulani Arab blood grin u must be high on fermented Kunu

Kanuri Afghan blood grin
You must be high on tuwo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by ebufa: 6:57am On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

I agree with you 100%, bkkay was a bit too quick in his reaction............ I grew up in Lagos around idumota,it was normal for yoruba women to call Igbos "yellow",probably referring to the lighter hues of our complexion.........am not sure what that has to do with Hebrew or Jewish origins. Even today in African American communities fair-complexioned Ladies are called yellow bone or redbone, a corruption of the slavery era description of IBO slaves, they were called "red iboe".........again a reference to the copper or terra cotta fairness of a lot of Igbos........which are in large attributable to a recessed albino gene in my own opinion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by hollah123: 7:50am On Dec 05, 2021
Golan007:
I never knew fake and real igbos existed until this expose.
imagine someone using nnamdi kanu as a standard of who igbo man should look like n that person wants us to believe he's not an mpuru mpiri addict,so if u don't look like nnamdi kanu u are a fake igbo?

Things dey happen, north Korea loading cos this one don pass north east

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by IGBOSON1: 12:10pm On Dec 05, 2021
ebufa:

I agree with you 100%, bkkay was a bit too quick in his reaction............ I grew up in Lagos around idumota,it was normal for yoruba women to call Igbos "yellow",probably referring to the lighter hues of our complexion.........am not sure what that has to do with Hebrew or Jewish origins. Even today in African American communities fair-complexioned Ladies are called yellow bone or redbone, a corruption of the slavery era description of IBO slaves, they were called "red iboe".........again a reference to the copper or terra cotta fairness of a lot of Igbos........which are in large attributable to a recessed albino gene in my own opinion.

Don't mind the guy! He's just digging for issues where none exist!
Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by IGBOSON1: 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2021
BKayy:

Here is your receipt

Now go back and read the dude's post again.

"okwu danaghi ọnụ, ntụtụ afia arụ"

Dude, just give it a rest!

I said: 'The guy you quoted is right about Igbos known for having Mazi Kanus' lighter complexion....and i've noticed they're mainly found around the lower part of Igboland (Abia and Imo)'.

Now this part of my post was specific to a particular assertion he made out of many....and it was this part of his post i was agreeing with! I even ended by saying his post shouldn't be written-off in its entirety...meaning, there were parts of it i didn't agree with! How you managed to read meaning that isn't in any way related to what i meant is what i'm yet to understand! I mean.....do you just go about nit-picking and looking for arguments for no reason!?

I can just imagine the kind of dickheads that would 'like' the combative and unreasonable posts you're making on this thread!

1 Like

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Vintagepipes: 12:43pm On Dec 05, 2021
BKayy:

You are the most stupid idiot I have ever seen.

If you have little sense, you would have known that siblings can come in different shades. So, according to your stupidity some are real while the rest are fake.

Mpama

....In my humble assessment. Those are black and white old pictures. It cannot tell shades of colours apart.
....There are several examples.

Northcorte took a picture of a fair Igbo girl with blue eyes and described her. However, the picture did not reflect those colours.

Some of Northcorte's picture have been recoloured using the shades of pigment and some sort of technology, most of them were fair.

I believe their color got a lot to do with their environment and also the Igbo subgroup in question.

Ndoki people are generally darker than Umuahia people (in the same state) Many Aro people are usually fairer on the average than Ngwa people. They all indigenous to Abia state.

I believe that environment and profession might also be a factor. Most Igbos when they come to the SW, they become darker than they were when they were in the SE.

I will upload this recoloured picture.

3 Likes

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

How many times have you seen a fair person married to a black person giving birth to a black kids? Their kids is 99% always fair.

Post your pic make we see Mr. Okoro

Igbos and their low self-esteem grin

1 Like

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by IGBOSON1: 12:50pm On Dec 05, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
How many times have you seen a fair person married to a black person giving birth to a black kids? Their kids is 99% always fair.

Post your pic make we see Mr. Okoro

I'm 'Mr Okoro'...yes! You are.....? smiley

You assertion on the complexion of the offspring of a fair and darkskinned couple is way off mark and probably the the result of smoking too much weed!

2 Likes

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

I'm 'Mr Okoro'...yes! You are.....? smiley

You assertion on the complexion of the offspring of a fair and darkskinned couple is way off mark and probably the the result of smoking too much weed!
igbo na ugwu ha di ala grin

Well, one thing is clear in that write up, the Igbos never lived in the coastal areas.

1 Like

Re: Captain Hugh Crow, British Explorer, Describes Igbo People During His Tour by Gotze1: 1:00pm On Dec 05, 2021
IGBOSON1:

So you mean Anambra, enugu, and ebonyi people are not real igbo hahahahaha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Predictions For Bayelsa,imo And Kogi Guber Polls / Bbc Airing Another Lagos Documentary Tonight! ! ! ! / Peter Obi: The Billionaire Forbes Omitted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.