Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA (2637 Views)

Man Kneels Down To Thank God He Left Nigeria For The UK / What Are Top Skills I Need To Learn Before Leaving For USA? / Nigerian Man Reveals Why He Dumped His High Paying Job To Relocate To Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Skybridge33: 6:12pm On Dec 07, 2021
A friend of mine called me last week, she resigned from a high paying job working for a Telecom company in Nigeria to move to America with her two kids. Before she left she was doing okay, her salary was over a million, her kids went to the best schools in Lagos and she bought a plot of land in lekki. She sha want to leave Nigeria and japa even though she was in her mid forties and can't hustle like before. She got a tourist visa and left with her kids.
Now she's complaining even after advising her not to leave as she was average rich here before she left . Now she lives in a one bedroom apartment in a ghetto area of Houston. She works 20 hrs a day doing two jobs and she still doesn't make enough money to pay her rent, the landlord will chase her out anytime. Now she's complaining that things are hard and she wants to come back to Nigeria. What should I tell her, everybody wants to japa thinking life is better there. Eventually when they get there, instant regret it's cold, the people are unfriendly and even the blacks there are racist to Africans.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Holla911(m): 6:16pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:
A friend of mine called me last week, she resigned from a high paying job working for a Telecom company in Nigeria to move to America with her two kids. Before she left she was doing okay, her salary was over a million, her kids went to the best schools in Lagos and she bought a plot of land in lekki. She sha want to leave Nigeria and japa even though she was in her mid forties and can't hustle like before. She got a tourist visa and left with her kids.
Now she's complaining even after advising her not to leave as she was average rich here before she left . Now she lives in a one bedroom apartment in a ghetto area of Houston. She works 20 hrs a day doing two jobs and she still doesn't make enough money to pay her rent, the landlord will chase her out anytime. Now she's complaining that things are hard and she wants to come back to Nigeria. What should I tell her, everybody wants to japa thinking life is better there. Eventually when they get there, instant regret it's cold, the people are unfriendly and even the blacks there are racist to Africans.

Lol.. The grass seem greener on the other side until you get there to see for yourself.
Did she visit the states prior to relocation ? If she did, I bet she will be better prepared.
She made a good decision for her kids sake. I will advice her to endure the shabby stage of her new life while she grab open opportunities to improve on skills that can help her earn more.

3 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Pierocash(m): 6:19pm On Dec 07, 2021
Some people can be so foolish ,and lack discretion.

If abroad really worth the hype,tell me,why don't politicians who served out their tenure in Nigeria base their?

Let her come back and look for another job. Worst still,she can sell off the land and start a new life
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Unibenfucker(m): 6:21pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:

Nawoah how can she work 20hrs and can't afford to pay her rent

13 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Myer(m): 6:21pm On Dec 07, 2021
Holla911:

Lol.. The grace seem greener on the other side until you get there to see for yourself.
Did she visit the states prior to relocation ? If she did, I bet she will be better prepaid.

How did I know you're from Anambra?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Cyphar(m): 6:22pm On Dec 07, 2021
Just imagine how she threw a good life away....
She will forever regret her actions undecided

I pray something good happens to her

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Holla911(m): 6:25pm On Dec 07, 2021
Myer:

How did I know you're from Anambra?

Lol cheesy
Una! I tire for this auto correct wey dey drag words with me cry

4 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Myer(m): 6:25pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:

She worked in Telecomms so I'm guessing she has some IT background?
She needs to find a better job.
But her tourist Visa seems to be the issue. She should make enquiries with other immigrants to know the work-around to that.

6 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Icon2007: 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2021
whenever I read people desperation to leave this country at all cost, some will even go to the length of travelling to any countries once the place is not african countries. I was about making this type of mistake some few years back, but i try to research and consult widely. i stumbed on one guy on youtube is name is phrankleen i sent him a mail about my plan and he used my mail to do live show on youtube so many people commented and i listened to him with an open mind. I change my mind and i am not regretting it. if you want to know more about what people go through in the west read more on quora and some youtube.
if you are not doing anything meaningful in nigeria you can travel anywhere to try your luck but do your research too and travel legally.

but if you are doing something meaningful dont run to west in the name of the greener pasture you might regret it.
for me my slalary is not 1m its not even half of a million but I can manage it while i hope for the better tomorow with my side hussle and all.

6 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Brexxit(m): 6:46pm On Dec 07, 2021
I guess she's into minimum wage jobs $7.25 per hr over there in the USA.

Advise her to go for skilled or professional jobs,with this she can live comfortably there.If she doesn't have a degree let her go to university or get a skill.

She made the best decision of her life moving to the USA.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Myer(m): 6:48pm On Dec 07, 2021
Brexxit:

Advise her to go for skilled or professional jobs,with this she can live comfortably there.If she doesn't have a degree let her go to university or get a skill.

Honestly she made the best decision.
She just needs to get the right information and get herself a better paying job.

7 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Biafrarep(m): 7:09pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:

Then she must be very daft!
How can one abandon a job paying her a million naira monthly to travel to America as an illegal migrant?

With that salary, she would be able to live in a nice duplex, drive two SUV's, have servants and be able to travel to America and other countries on holidays!

6 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Classickj(m): 7:10pm On Dec 07, 2021
Unibenfucker:

Nawoah how can she work 20hrs and can't afford to pay her rent
you day mind that liar
24 - 20 = 4 hours of rest
Wth

8 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Classickj(m): 7:15pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:
working for a Telecom company in Nigeria...

She works 20 hrs a day doing two jobs and she still doesn't make enough money to pay her rent,
20hrs per day, baba you can lie ooh

( so she no see any telecom job for usa abi )

5 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Nonexisting: 7:20pm On Dec 07, 2021
This is part of the reason my guys and I are yet to leave this shithole even though we already have our visas. We are all doing not so badly and with few bombings here and there, we can be said to be doing very well. We plan to leave but not shut the door to this shithole completely until we are sure of better life over there. If not, we will board the next flight back to Owerri and continue where we stopped like nothing changed.

3 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by sharpman1(m): 7:24pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:

The issue here is that she is an illegal immigrant and that's her fault.

If she was legal, her story would have been different.

12 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by ednut1(m): 7:25pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:
she immigrated illegally with tourist visa, what was she expecting. if she went to Canada with permanent residency she would have gotten a job in telecoms. or she should have gone to USA with study visa finish and find work. she will suffer ehn with the two kids and no papers.

4 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by ednut1(m): 7:25pm On Dec 07, 2021
Classickj:

20hrs per day, baba you can lie ooh

( so she no see any telecom job for usa abi )
she is there illegally so cant work telecoms job. na menial jobs she go fit do with papers

3 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by ednut1(m): 7:26pm On Dec 07, 2021
Brexxit:

no one will give you professional job with a tourist visa na

3 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Brexxit(m): 7:46pm On Dec 07, 2021
ednut1:
no one will give you professional job with a tourist visa na
I Know bro.

I forgot to add she should also get the required papers that can make her work legally.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by ednut1(m): 7:56pm On Dec 07, 2021
Brexxit:

I Know bro.

I forgot to add she should also get the required papers that can make her work legally.
so how does she get the papers realistically fake marriage ba. her sufferings never start o, better she returns her kids to Nigeria and hustle alone

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 9:15pm On Dec 07, 2021
Is this story true?? How can someone be suffering like this in Houston? In the whole of Texas, no San Antonio, Galveston or Dallas? Yankee is not for everybody, Naija also is not everbody 's place of success. Its not about your salary. THE QUESTION IS ;WHICH GROUP DO YOU BELONG?...... NOT EVERY IMMIGRANT ABROAD IS A FAILURE. If JESUS's parents, (Mary and Joseph) no jappa with our savior go Egypt, King for Kill am. If Joseph remained in Isreal he wouldn't have been a Prime minister in Egypt.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Charles61: 9:31pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skybridge33:

Could you please share us the season 2?
Hmmm tourist visa?
Someone who is well educated and rich. Would be fool enough to go and work in US with tourist visa, and even resigned.

When will Nigeria stop fabrication stories and start giving young people an education information with fact. I just tired for this country called Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Ibcurious(m): 10:14pm On Dec 07, 2021
Brexxit:

Actually the point, because our certificates ain't valuable there but let her get skilled such as nurse, or any other interesting course.

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Xolander: 12:25am On Dec 08, 2021
Brexxit:

I Know bro.

Neeg, wtf are you saying? She has already committed a crime by working while on a tourist visa, you're yapping about getting required papers to work legally.

Ibcurious:
Actually the point, because our certificates ain't valuable there but let her get skilled such as nurse, or any other interesting course.
I'm amazed at the level of buffoonery on Nairaland, did you take a minute to read where it was said she went on tourist visa? Interesting course indeed grin

4 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Xolander: 12:32am On Dec 08, 2021
When you are advised to migrate legitimately, una go say No, Nigeria is hell and all sort of nonsense. This case is particularly surprising as the person is supposed to be enlightened and educated but she decides to play the system and is now bearing the brunt of it.

For the yadayada sayers above, in case you missed it, she went there on a tourist visa which means she is not eligible to work.

I will advise you to tell her to try and crawl to Mexico because if she gets caught in the US, she will be jailed before deportation to her hometown in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Nobody: 12:53am On Dec 08, 2021
Skybridge33:
What she's passing through is a PHASE.
It will be a story to be told later.
AMERICA is almost always Greener.
Again, don't expect to be handed same job you did back home immediately you relocate.
It doesn't work that way.
Your RELOCATION is like starting from Primary 1.
IF you can't endure such, please remain in Naija.
AMERICA has got a ladder just like others.
The Ladder is available the moment you arrive.
You can't start from the TOP on arrival.
You're expected to start from bottom & grow.
One surest thing is, you must grow if you want.
The country never stagnates you. It's a CRIME.
Again, she has got A TOURIST VISA, which will make life harder for her.
GREENCARD is the key, it exposes you to every opportunity America has got.

Please don't migrate to a new country & immediately expect a Rosy outcome. That's Greed. Growth & Development are things that come with patience. People were there before u.
So, u have to join the queue too. Thank U.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Classickj(m): 7:07am On Dec 08, 2021
ednut1:
she is there illegally so cant work telecoms job. na menial jobs she go fit do with papers
So she day work from let say 7 Am to 3 Am = 20hrs
Which kind job she day do

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by ednut1(m): 7:32am On Dec 08, 2021
Classickj:

So she day work from let say 7 Am to 3 Am = 20hrs
Which kind job she day do
google under the table jobs
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by ednut1(m): 7:34am On Dec 08, 2021
Ibcurious:
this is not true. Alot of Nigerians who are legally in Canada, usa ,uae and Europe are working with their Nigerian certificate and are earning megabucks.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Gerrard59(m): 9:58am On Dec 08, 2021
Another episode on What Never Happened.

No sensible individual who earns N1M in Nigeria (to earn such in Nigeria means the person has at least two degrees and some industry certifications) will relocate to the US on a tourist visa, none whatsoever. Not when the Canada exodus fever reverberates across corporate Nigeria. Worse still, in her mid-40s? grin OP is one of those cretinous fvcktards who wants to discourage young and ambitious Nigerians from fleeing the country. Don't be surprised he is a newly recruited staff of the BMCs wink

FAKE NEWS

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Gerrard59(m): 10:02am On Dec 08, 2021
MALIGNANTGuest:

What she's passing through is a PHASE.
It will be a story to be told later.
AMERICA is almost always Greener.
Again, don't expect to be handed same job you did back home immediately you relocate.
It doesn't work that way.
The Ladder is available the moment you arrive.
You can't start from the TOP on arrival.
You're expected to start from bottom & grow.
One surest thing is, you must grow if you want.
The country never stagnates you. It's a CRIME.
Again, she has got A TOURIST VISA, which will make life harder for her.
GREENCARD is the key, it exposes you to every opportunity America has got.

Please don't migrate to a new country & immediately expect a Rosy outcome. That's Greed. Growth & Development are things that come with patience. People were there before u.
So, u have to join the queue too. Thank U.

Assuming the story is true (which is not true itself, just an assumption), the bold is entirely untrue. Someone in his/her 30s can start from the top by getting an MBA from a top-20 school in the US or getting an L-1 visa from a US-based company in Nigeria and moving to a similar position in the US or getting a JD from a top law school. Or a PhD from a good school and enter corporate America.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Itakpe To Warri By Train / God Saved Me In A Crash / I Won 2009 American Visa Lottery (green Card) !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.