Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. (10303 Views)

He Graduated 11 Years Ago With 2:2 And Just Discovered That It's A Mistake / Linda Iheme Gets 5 Distinctions In Medical Sch.UNIBEN (Pic + Profile) / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by pereze: 3:01pm On Jun 12, 2011
kokorodudu:

True but very sad. But bros, carry yourself come back Lasgidi and do something purposeful
We are quick to advice people. Young man, my life is well arranged. I never told you I am playing around did I. If you you think with your brain you should be able to cut out the picture of my kind of person from the piece I posted.
Don't think you are better off than those guys I referred to, some of them are bidding their time and not just 'wasting time' as you may think!
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 3:06pm On Jun 12, 2011
texazzpete:

I don't know why you clowns are taking Panadol for another man's headache. Were you there when the man was paying school fees for his son?
Is the father MANDATED to pay for his son's University education?
It could well have been a contract of some sort. I pay for your education, in turn just ensure you come out with a good degree. Isn't the man allowed to feel dissapointment when his son came up short?

If the boy did not have the ability to make a 2.1, perhaps the dad would not have been bothered. But the man must have been let down by a son with potentials who failed to live up to his side of the bargain.

For the record, anyone that claims that you can only get a 2.1 by bribing lecturers is immediately identified as a mediocre student.

So it matters not if you know someone with a 3rd class who has made it in life. The bottom line is that the dad paid all school fees + housing. In return, the son underachieved academically. Why do you not expect the man to be upset?

I am handing over to you. Please no fall me oooooooooo grin
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by bugatti: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2011
@op, TELL YOUR FATHER FOR HIS OWN RESULT, AM SURE HE GOT A 2.3[/color] BETTER STILL TELL HIM YOU DID NOT GRADUATE AND HE WILL HAVE A HEART ATTACK, YEAH[color=#006600]
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:09pm On Jun 12, 2011
Wizardofoz:

So the reason Nigeria hasnt moved forward is because of the millions of Ist Class graduates Nigeria has produced, not because of the Billions of Third class we have handling assignments way beyond their ability and intellect? I am sure you know, as I do, that in every graduating class, there are more 3rd class grads than first class people.

So we should blame the less that 10% people with "1st Class brain" for our backwardness, not the more than 50% with "Third Class brain/attitude?"

And even if you are correct, you think the solution is to produce more people with Third class?

Black and White issue we have here? As in, All First Class graduates, like our own Jarus who graduated with First Class in Economics form the prestigious OAU, LACK "wherewithal and critical thinking faculty?"

And, since to you,

First class = NO wherewithal and critical thinking faculty

Your Brother with a Third Class = Very intelligent

Is it safe to say that, after thorough research and great analys[b]e[/b]s, with your brother of couse (n=1), you have come to the conclusion:

Third Class = Immense wherewithal and critical thinking faculty skills?
bros, all i am saying is that you take people on their own merits. a lot of things can influence a person into a third class grade. here are a few
1.youth, alone in a big UNI for the first time in your life after living with mummy and daddy all your life. some people drink and smoke all their uni time away. they wise up later on and then become stellar students during Msc or Phd
2, adequate food. most uni students spend half their time looking for gari and groundnut to drink
3, environment, too many people in a room can be a distraction
4, chasing women
5, failing grade by a prof who hates you
etc etc etc.
so basically all am saying is that, dont judge a man by his grades. at least not in the bachelor level.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by emmatok(m): 3:10pm On Jun 12, 2011
texazzpete:

I don't know why you clowns are taking Panadol for another man's headache. Were you there when the man was paying school fees for his son?
Is the father MANDATED to pay for his son's University education?
It could well have been a contract of some sort. I pay for your education, in turn just ensure you come out with a good degree. Isn't the man allowed to feel dissapointment when his son came up short?

If the boy did not have the ability to make a 2.1, perhaps the dad would not have been bothered. But the man must have been let down by a son with potentials who failed to live up to his side of the bargain.

For the record, anyone that claims that you can only get a 2.1 by bribing lecturers is immediately identified as a mediocre student.

So it matters not if you know someone with a 3rd class who has made it in life. The bottom line is that the dad paid all school fees + housing. In return, the son underachieved academically. Why do you not expect the man to be upset?

Thank you my brother.

These childern expect the father to wecome his son home with 2.2.

When he knows his son can do better.

@And for those who claim you can bribe to get 2.1.

Well, no Federal University in Nigeria give any student 2.1 for money or sex.

You think those mean Professors at the Senate will allow a dullard to leave their school with 2.1? Never.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 3:16pm On Jun 12, 2011

Black and White issue we have here? As in, All First Class graduates, like our own Jarus who graduated with First Class in Economics form the prestigious OAU, LACK "wherewithal and critical thinking faculty?

Do you mind people thinking with their hands rather than their heads?Our people always have reasons for their failure;if it is not the lecturer, then it will be the environment or babes on campus.

Most people expect results that are not commensurate to the effort applied.But do you blame them?They all live a a society where mediocrity, criminality and ''make it quick'' is the norm.

Making a 1st or 2.1 requires great effort, commitment and discipline.I am yet to meet any 1st class graduate who does not know his onus.Yes, they might not be physical strong like the rest of the pack, but mentally they represent.The truth remains, whether you make a 1st or third does not mean you cannot perform, after all the 1st was only on what you were taught in class, and does not represent the entirety of human experience.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 3:18pm On Jun 12, 2011
buzugee:

survival is just that. survival. nothing to do with intelligence. the most intelligent people in the world have the worst survival skills. they are like fish out of water if dropped in unfamiliar sorroundings. thats why they are called geeks. people with stong survival skills are usually the primal and primitive types.

I define [intelligence] as your skill in achieving whatever it is you want to attain in your life within your sociocultural context.by capitalizing on your strengths and compensating for, or correcting, your weaknesses

Thus, a central feature of the triarchic theory of successful intelligence is adaptability-both within the individual and within the individual's sociocultural context

http://www.indiana.edu/~intell/sternberg.shtml

That is from Roger Sternberg, a cognitive psychologist. The former head of APA.

Anyway, my job is done here. if I had to go through you post and expose the stupidity inherent in them, I'd be seen as too egotistical. I think I have passed my message.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:22pm On Jun 12, 2011
chamber2:

Do you mind people thinking with their hands rather than their heads?Our people always have reasons for their failure;if it is not the lecturer, then it will be the environment or babes on campus.

Most people expect results that are not commensurate to the effort applied.But do you blame them?They all live a a society where mediocrity, criminality and ''make it quick'' is the norm.

Making a 1st or 2.1 requires great effort, commitment and discipline.I am yet to meet any 1st class graduate who does not know his onus.Yes, they might not be physical strong like the rest of the pack, but mentally they represent.The truth remains, whether you make a 1st or third does not mean you cannot perform, after all the 1st was only on what you were taught in class, and does not represent the entirety of human experience.
and with all the 1st class we cant manufacture a light bulb. abeg go and siddon somewhere. first class in nigeria is strictly merit in your ability to regurgitate verbatim what you have read. people like this are uni-dimensional. totally useless to any society. people with critical thinking skills in nigeria will graduate with about 2, 2 reason being when your brain is that wired, you view a question wholesomely. you read books wholesomely. and you answer questions wholesomely. this in naija translates into bad grades. nobody wants wholesome answers. regurgitate.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2011
chamber2:

Bravo, brother!

I totally agree.

I dont know why people try to make themselves feel better by rubbishing the achievements, and superior intelligence of others!

They are better ways to argue First class/Third class dichotomy, but to characterize First class 'peeps,' like our own Jarus, as less intelligent than people with third Class is the height of mediocrity, IMO

1 Like

Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:27pm On Jun 12, 2011
Wizardofoz:

That is from Roger Sternberg, a cognitive psychologist. The former head of APA.

Anyway, my job is done here. if I had to go through you post and expose the stupidity inherent in them, I'd be seen as too egotistical. I think I have passed my message.
i think whats stupid and equally obtuse is you thinking that a human being has the authority on classifying and compartmentalizing something as infinite and ambiguous as 'human survival instincts'. you and your sternberg are pseudo-intellectuals who like to stroke their egos with mumbo-jumbo science.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2011
and with all the 1st class we cant manufacture a light bulb. abeg go and siddon somewhere. first class in nigeria is strictly merit in your ability to regurgitate verbatim what you have read. people like this are uni-dimensional. totally useless to any society. people with critical thinking skills in nigeria will graduate with about 2, 2 reason being when your brain is that wired, you view a question wholesomely. you read books wholesomely. and you answer questions wholesomely. this in naija translates into bad grades. nobody wants wholesome answers. regurgitate.

A caged lion is no different from the goat in the street.When the right environment is not made available for the 1st class guys to function, the result is not always encouraging.Take a stock of those who made 1st class and then come back and give report.About 70% of them are doing excellently well in whatever endeavour they found themselves.Them, take an inventory of those with third class, then compare your result.

1st or third, what is important is the individual who possess it not the grade.But that does not mean we should discredit guys who worked very hard to make a 1st or 2.1 against all odds.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Xtfield(m): 3:38pm On Jun 12, 2011
I do not really think the father should be called names. It is the situation in our land that make parents to behave like this. Most job adverts state 2:1 as minimum requirement. I was not happy when one of my daughters ended up with a 2:2. First, I knew if she had focused on her studies while at school, she would have made a First class. But she allowed herself to be distracted by fashion and boys and even though I kept warning her, she did not listen until it was too late. If she had not sat up in her final year she would have had a 3rd Class.

Now its one thing to advise the guy to get a job and move out. But where are the jobs? One is not saying that to make a 2:2 or 3rd Class is the end of life but how many parents have funds to send their children to England. Rich parents most times do not care what grades their children make because they have the necessary connection and funds to send their children overseas.

My opinion is that children from poor homes should realize that the odds are against them heavily iof they do not make the right grades in Nigeria.

And it is not true that parents expect their children to do what they could not do. I graduated with a 2:1 at 20 from the University of Ibadan. Every parent wants the best for their children. Besides when the children are unable to secure jobs they still remain the responsibility of the parents!
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by violent(m): 3:38pm On Jun 12, 2011
There are worse things in life than having a 2:2, like having Papillary Cancer . . .
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 3:43pm On Jun 12, 2011

I do not really think the father should be called names. It is the situation in our land that make parents to behave like this. Most job adverts state 2:1 as minimum requirement. I was not happy when one of my daughters ended up with a 2:2. First, I knew if she had focused on her studies while at school, she would have made a First class. But she allowed herself to be distracted by fashion and boys and even though I kept warning her, she did not listen until it was too late. If she had not sat up in her final year she would have had a 3rd Class.

Now its one thing to advise the guy to get a job and move out. But where are the jobs? One is not saying that to make a 2:2 or 3rd Class is the end of life but how many parents have funds to send their children to England. Rich parents most times do not care what grades their children make because they have the necessary connection and funds to send their children overseas.

My opinion is that children from poor homes should realize that the odds are against them heavily iof they do not make the right grades in Nigeria.

And it is not true that parents expect their children to do what they could not do. I graduated with a 2:1 at 20 from the University of Ibadan. Every parent wants the best for their children. Besides when the children are unable to secure jobs they still remain the responsibility of the parents!

You got it well sir.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2011
buzugee:

bros, all i am saying is[b] that you take people on their own merits[/b]. a lot of things can influence a person into a third class grade. here are a few

And that is done by classifying people with First Class as less intelligent that people with Third class?

And how do we go about taking people by merit? Definitely, according to you, it is not by going by the only thing we know about them, their pali?

1.youth, alone in a big UNI for the first time in your life after living with mummy and daddy all your life. some people drink and smoke all their uni time away. they wise up later on and then become stellar students during Msc or Phd

We all have a choice to make. If you decide to work hard from scratch, from year 1, knowing fully well, intelligently if I may hard, that everything counts and that you have all the time after graduation to do whatever you choose to do. Hence, "wising up early."

To you, wising up early = less intelligence

And,

Wising up later = more intelligence?

2, adequate food. most uni students spend half their time looking for gari and groundnut to drink

Including those with First Class, No?

3, environment, too many people in a room can be a distraction

To people with Third Class? but not to people with First Class?

4, chasing women

Choice baby? Intelligence plays a role in the choice you make, No?

Are you insinuating that people that spend more time chasing women, and end up with Third Class are more intelligent than those who chose to concentrate on their studies so as to make First Class?

5, failing grade by a prof who hates you

So people end up with Third Class because their professors hate them?

And, for instance, people who fail JAMB, fail because Dibu Ojerinde hates THEM ALL?

etc etc etc.
so basically all am saying is that, dont judge a man by his grades. at least not in the bachelor level.

Of course not, when NEPOTISM is a fairer, more objective standard
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2011
chamber2:

A caged lion is no different from the goat in the street.When the right environment is not made available for the 1st class guys to function, the result is not always encouraging.Take a stock of those who made 1st class and then come back and give report.About 70% of them are doing excellently well in whatever endeavour they found themselves.Them, take an inventory of those with third class, then compare your result.

1st or third, what is important is the individual who possess it not the grade.But that does not mean we should discredit guys who worked very hard to make a 1st or 2.1 against all odds.
i got no beef with any grade level myself. its that cretin, Wizardofoz, who seems to hang his hat on grades.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
violent:

There are worse things in life than having a 2:2, like having Papillary Cancer . . .

pretty random grin you know anyone with papillary cancer ?
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
violent:

Do you have a thyroid problem?
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by violent(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2011
chamber2:

I beg to differ on this opinion!

Having a first class in a Nigerian university is hardly a measure of raw intelligence. . .it's  however  a measure of an unrelenting determination to succeed against all odds, with some extra memory capacity!

Variables such as street smartness, business acumen, human relations, ability to communicate effectively, ability to persuade and convince even the most cynical of all beings,  a diplomatic approach, a logical and thematic approach to problem solving. . . .etc etc which are hardly measured in measured by the class of your degree, has proven to be more sustainable drivers to long term success.

Many people make first class in Nigeria simply by reading a page over and over again, only to write the same word for word, in an exam, not questioning arguments or logic, they simply return what's given in their textbooks-----that's not exactly a sound measure of intelligence, just a good measure of memory capacity!
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2011
buzugee:

i[b] think whats silly and equally obtuse is you thinking that a human being has the authority on classifying and compartmentalizing something as infinite and ambiguous as 'human survival instincts[/b]'. you and your sternberg are pseudo-intellectuals who like to stroke their egos with mumbo-jumbo science.

If that is all you got from that article, then I am not surprised you end up with a Third Class.

:::SMH:::
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:50pm On Jun 12, 2011
Wizardofoz:

And that is done by classifying people with First Class as less intelligent that people with Third class?

And how do we go about taking people by merit? Definitely, according to you, it is not by going by the only thing we know about them, their pali?

We all have a choice to make. If you decide to work hard from scratch, from year 1, knowing fully well, intelligently if I may hard, that everything counts and that you have all the time after graduation to do whatever you choose to do. Hence, "wising up early."

To you, wising up early = less intelligence

And,

Wising up later = more intelligence?

Including those with First Class, No?

To people with Third Class? but not to people with First Class?

Choice baby? Intelligence plays a role in the choice you make, No?

Are you insinuating that people that spend more time chasing women, and end up with Third Class are more intelligent than those who chose to concentrate on their studies so as to make First Class?

So people end up with Third Class because their professors hate them?

And, for instance, people who fail JAMB, fail because Dibu Ojerinde hates THEM ALL?

Of course not, when NEPOTISM is a fairer, more objective standard
bros, you classify people by merit by doing interviews. gerrit ? pretty simple really. sit them down and ask em questions partaining to the job they are trying to secure and see how they respond. gerrit ? with this approach i can guarantee you that most first class students will be weeded out.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:53pm On Jun 12, 2011
violent:

Having a first class in a Nigerian university is hardly a measure of raw intelligence. . .it's  however  a measure of an unrelenting determination to succeed against all odds, with some extra memory capacity!

Variables such as street smartness, business acumen, human relations, ability to communicate effectively, ability to persuade and convince even the most cynical of all beings,  a diplomatic approach, a logical and thematic approach to problem solving. . . .etc etc which are hardly measured in measured by the class of your degree, has proven to be more sustainable drivers to long term success.

Many people make first class in Nigeria simply by reading a page over and over again, only to write the same word for word, in an exam, not questioning arguments or logic, they simply return what's given in their textbooks-----that's not exactly a sound measure of intelligence, just a good measure of memory capacity!
exactly wink
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 3:54pm On Jun 12, 2011

You did not differ at all, you only corroborated my point here:

Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by violent(m): 3:55pm On Jun 12, 2011
Wizardofoz:

Do you have a thyroid problem?

Did you graduate with a third class?. . .
damn, should i have to explain that if i make a post it doesn't necessarily mean I'm talking about myself?
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:56pm On Jun 12, 2011
Wizardofoz:

If that is all you got from that article, then I am not surprised you end up with a Third Class.

:::SMH:::
you must be out your paltry rabid mind if you think i am going to corrupt my thinking faculty by trying to imbibe mumbo jumbo from a pseudo-intellect such as stanberg. and you for even suggesting the article makes you less intelligent than the pseudo-scientist. a case of the blind leading the blind. as they say in nigeria 'tufiakwa'
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 3:57pm On Jun 12, 2011
violent:

damn, should i have to explain that if i make a post it doesn't necessarily mean I'm talking about myself?

grin that fool didnt graduate with a third class. he graduated from palmwine tapping school. grin
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 4:00pm On Jun 12, 2011
violent:

Many people make first class in Nigeria [/b]simply by reading a [b]page over and over again, only to write the same word for word, in an exam, not questioning arguments or logic, they simply return what's given in their textbooks-----that's not exactly a sound measure of intelligence, just a good measure of memory capacity!

If you cant do something as simple as that, then why should you be trusted with something more intellectually demanding?

I dont get you point, if person A cant answer a simple question, it must be because he is more intelligent than that?

Interesting!
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Pharoh: 4:01pm On Jun 12, 2011
Interesting thread, i should say Nigerians focus too much on grades and leave other things of substance, having a better grade in Nigeria is mainly to be boastful and seek respect and not necessarily to imbibe knowledge or skills.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 4:01pm On Jun 12, 2011

Hmmm, mate.I only meant that your post did not differ remarkably from my previous post stating that the guys with 1st class succeeded against all odds and that the third class holders are not necessarily inferior to the 1st class.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by buzugee(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2011
Pharoh:

Interesting thread, i should say Nigerians focus too much on grades and leave other things of substance, having a better grade in Nigeria is mainly to be boastful and seek respect and not necessarily to imbibe knowledge or skills.
hmmm hmmm preach on rev
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 4:04pm On Jun 12, 2011
that fool didnt graduate with a third class. he graduated from palmwine tapping school.

Like the Wole Soyinkas ? That's where i belong cool cool
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by violent(m): 4:05pm On Jun 12, 2011
chamber2:

Hmmm, mate.I only meant that your post did not differ remarkably from my previous post stating that the guys with 1st class succeeded against all odds and that the third class holders are not necessarily inferior to the 1st class.

wasn't referring to you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lasu External System Admission List! / Why You Have To Stop Virtual Gambling!!!!!!! / Lautech Post Jamb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.