Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. (10298 Views)

He Graduated 11 Years Ago With 2:2 And Just Discovered That It's A Mistake / Linda Iheme Gets 5 Distinctions In Medical Sch.UNIBEN (Pic + Profile) / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 11:32am On Jun 13, 2011

I find it disgusting when I hear Nigerians saying that the "quality of graduates produced by Nigerians universities is so bad", what a ridiculous and sadistic thing to say!   . If the quality of Nigerian graduates is supposedly so bad, then how come these same graduates go to universities outside Nigeria and end up at the top of their class with First class and Distinctions? It also does not make any sense that someone achieved a First class in Nigeria because he memorized the lecturer's notes, and regurgitated verbatim during the exams.

I finished my first degree in Nigeria with a 2.1, a couple of points shy of a First class; I have just finished my MSc in the UK with a Distinction, and the best research thesis score in the whole university. I achieved my MSc result on the basis of the strong background I had during my undergraduate studies in Nigeria. So I am particularly pissed when I hear fellow Nigerians speak shite about our Nigerian universities, because I know from first hand experience that Nigerian university graduates are making exploits and breaking records worldwide.

My dear, sadly, that is the reality.Our graduates are nothing to right home about.We are talking about the spread of learning and knowledge.A situation where only but a handful can be called graduates in the right sense of it is pitiful.Take the case of a graduating class of 150, and only about 20% or so come out as real university graduates (maybe this 20 % is where you fall in).I mean, it's really bad.

Yes, most of our students do well abroad, but these are our very best and brightest competing with maybe the 2.2 or third class from Asia and other parts of the world in the same class.Take them to Harvard etc where the competition is stiff and evaluate your result.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by babsaga: 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2011
Nigeria factor is actually affecting many people. they believe having first class is everything. many a time, first class students become average people in life while 2.2, 3rd class students(the so called no body) later make great impact in life. dont get me wrong, it is good to have first class but I think that should not be the yard stick in judging someones future. sorry to say most first class students are copy cats. they study only to high score(carry and pour, ''agberu-gbeso). they dont usually think beyond what they are taught. get to the work environment and you will see want I am talking about. to set the record straight, view of them are actually outstanding and I mean it.I am saying these from experience because I work with in the HR of one big company in Nigeria. A piece of advice, develop yourself and although not at the espence of your CGPA.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by babsaga: 12:27pm On Jun 13, 2011
ANOTHER THING IS THIS, NIGERIAN GRADUATES NOT VERY VERSATILE IN PRACTICAL TRAINING ASPECT OF TERTIARY EDUCATION. AND DO NOT LET ME DECEIVE YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE OF THIS FORUM, THAT IS WHAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WESTERN EDUCATION AND NIGERIAN EDUCATION.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by babsaga: 12:41pm On Jun 13, 2011
on this issue, please i beg you in the name of the lord, watch 3 idiots, an indian film. i am sure you will have a better understanding on this issue.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Mucokey(m): 1:47pm On Jun 13, 2011
I beg 2 disagree dat a bunch of ppl hia sinc graduated late 60s cos in dis present stands n in many campuses, mehn it jus His grace dat 2.1 or 2.2 is obtained cos of de attitudes of dis so called lecturers.

I ve got dis course dat dis man plainly n wickedly told us from de onset dat A is 4 god, B 4 him whil C is 4 average students. Dis course 2 be frank is jus a continuation of a previous 1st semester course though been already handled by 1 oda lecturer n most ppl scored As, bt true 2 dis oda 1's beleiv n stand non performed above C; den tell mi wat ll make up dis RESERVED 1ST CLASS
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 13, 2011
The dad may have spent so much on the guy's education, given that ESUT is very expensive. Secondly the dad might have told the guy during the course of his program to pay attention to his school work. Given any of the above I think the dad has every right to be furious.
Guess the man is just being a dad am sure with time he sure would come around. As for the young man, he had better start planning his life rather than thinking about his father's actions towards him. As soon as he hits it big believe me, his dad being a typical Nigerian father will go " I know you have always been my son, just that those your lecturers/bad friends in ESUT influenced you negatively then. Now you have proved that you are my son."

On the other hand it depends on individual, someone like me I don't discuss my grades with my parents. After graduation I just told my parents that I have graduated chikina. My dad was like what did you graduate with? I playfully told him he shouldn't worry that he isn't paying another school fee. He should only get ready for my NYSC. He pressed and my mum was like the young man said he has graduated we should thank God for him and that was it.

Not until someone from my school saw my dad and was like congratulations your son got xyz grade that calls for celebration. Popsy came home and he was like young man why did't you tell us got xyz grade. I told him to be honest I didn't want to tell him coz I knew he was going to put pressure on my younger ones. That would be like a target for them. I really do not want them to walk under anybody's shadow. I wanted them to school and have fun, to school at their own pace.
:d
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by djaybaba: 2:17pm On Jun 13, 2011
is he sure is because of 2.2 or that he's now a graduate and expected to takecare of himself?
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nija4Life(m): 7:20pm On Jun 13, 2011
ayubam:

Thanks for the further comments. I think we all must rise and educate ourselves on the need to understand first what is wrong and how to move forward. Nigeria education system is really in shambles. Please note, I am not saying Nigerian students are not intelligent or better still if given the right opportunities, will not compete favourably with others in the world but the truth is that, in Nigerian University System, less emphasis is on learning. In fact for sciences and Engineering I know of, our curriculum are outdated and highly irrelevant in market place.

Majorities of our engineering graduates (1st class, 2.1 and 2.2 or whatever) are best reduce to doing technicians works in the industries. I worked in a breweries in Nigeria for 3months as a trainee engineer after my Undergraduates and with what I saw compare to what I know an Engineering graduate should do, it did not take me time to dump that work for banking without any higher pay. ( I have no course to lie). I just rediscovered mysef that I cannot complained all through work like I did in school and had to make a choice right on.

May I say some were so lucky who joined some multinational like P&G, Nigerian Breweeries, Guiness, NNPC, Shell and the like but I know what work experience our friends are doing in TEXAS after a 2nd degree in the USA as a researcher and designer and not machine users or repairers like the case of many engineering graduates in Nigeria with exceptions of few guys.

Most computer science students on our campuses still study cobols, Pascals, Fortran, Basic with few intro of new skills while they spent their time after school to learn Java, VB.net, C#, SQL. I remember I did a course in SQL in school which I scored B without access to any SQL server envt to write a simple code. All we did was to cram the codes, study AOC and pass and the first class among us who were not that lucky stayed back in school as Graduate assistant teaching other students in the same manner. It took drive to send some of them packing as they discovered they are really laid back with what is happening in the world.

Let us declare state of emergency in this sector and look for urgent solution. 1st Class students from MIT, Havard, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech, Oxford, Insead and other big schools are captains in industries in their research departments to introduce new policies to transform businesses across diverse coys, much cannot be said of ours. Many are out there locked up in banks and communications coys, oil coys just collecting fat salary without any significant impact on the society.

DO I HATE FIRST CLASS, CHECK MY PREVIOUS POST TO JUDGE BUT THE SYSTEM PRODUCING US IS STILL QUESTIONABLE.

You have really painted a true picture of the state of university education in Nigeria with some personal experience that I share and completely agree with you. I also studied Mech/Production engineering in Nigeria before I left for the UK but in all honesty we hardly ever got our hands dirty, we were stuck most of the time doing maths and too much theory instead of actually designing and making things which is what engineering is all about. The few machines we had in our workshop at the time were obsolete lathe machines that dates back to the 50s. One of our lecturers taught us with handouts photocopied from a notebook he used in the 60s, you could clearly see the dates written on each page.
Deep down I knew I wasn’t sure if I was an engineer after graduation but gave myself the benefit of the doubt. When I arrived in the UK I lost count of tons of application for engineering jobs but never got an interview until I finally was invited to an interview for an engineering company in Coventry.  At the interview I was asked what project I have been involved in, I couldn’t really say much because I haven’t been involved in any. What I came to understand was that in this part of the world your engineering degree counts for nothing if you haven’t been involved in engineering designs and projects something undergraduates do here as a routine anyway. From that day I made a conscious decision to make a career switch and it almost felt like I wasted 5 years studying engineering at Uni in Nigeria. Anyway, I moved into teaching and I haven’t looked back ever since then and I never present myself or tell anyone I’m an engineer because quite frankly I’m not.
We need to be honest with ourselves and as painful as it is, accept that education at all levels in Nigeria is in dire need for attention instead of living in denial.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com/
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Outstrip(f): 7:25pm On Jun 13, 2011
Does he expect his father to hug and kiss him when he is practically failing. He is even hiding out at yoru place. He needs to grow up
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by damola1: 11:07pm On Jun 13, 2011
what'll happen to those of us that dropped out?
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Emeka72(m): 1:56am On Jun 14, 2011
His daddy must be an effiko who did very well while He was in school.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by atasteve: 9:41am On Jun 14, 2011
Is the dad a professor? Just joking grin

Gone are the days when certificate is everything!!!

Guys that are doing so fine now are not all 1st and 2.1 graduates as-a-matter-of-fact so many of them are not.

Let him go back home and beg is father, chat his life's course and pursue his dream since what makes people to excel in life is not the course that they studied in school but the things that they love doing.

When he is finally established, his dad will come to terms with him.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by michylabo(m): 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2011
True, grades are bought most times but there good and intelligent students come out with good grades cos of hardwork,
@ Poster, if his dad is mad at him cos of low grades he has every right to be. Education is an investment. No one wants to lose or make a bad investment.

Guys, in respective that most results given to students r not worth it, note though that there r many who distinguish themselves and stand out. A true 1st class or 2.1 student wld stand out anywhere, No jobs in the country which we all know. Our creativity and mind set wld show what how well trained and educated we r.
Most pple dnt like studying and it reflects even after school days. When they get employed you can clearly identify these ones as the r hardly thorough in their jobs. They r also not composed and shy of the big stage,

A Bsc isnt worth much these days. Even an Msc is becoming less important. 1st class dnt have jobs, 2.1 r struggling, 2.2 just imaging how difficult.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by manny4life(m): 6:17am On Jun 15, 2011
So if I understand like someone explained on the first page, a 2.2 should be equivalent to at least a 3.3 because if first class is Summa Cum Laude aka highest honors (>3.9), Second Class Upper 2.1 is Magna Cum Laude aka great honors (> 3.70 to 3.89) and Second Class Lower is 2.2 is equivalent to Cum Laude aka honors (>3.50 to 3.7), then at least if their equivalence is correct, I think graduating with a Cum Laude ( with Honors) is something the father should be proud of. Even if he graduated with a >3.2, that is the cutoff of any serious minded student, his father should be proud.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by crackhouse(m): 5:20pm On Jun 15, 2011
2:2 is not a bad result at all, it is similar to having 3/5 in a test. Most of the people that came out with first class and 2:1 did so because of the assignments and attendance marks that boosted their marks in school. If u don't attend classes properly and u don't do ur assignments regularly whenever u are given an assignment, it simply means u are not going to earn ur attendance and assessments marks respectively and this will definitely bring about a MINUS in ur grade but that does not mean u are not intelligent. A lot of things can make u miss lectures and assignments in school, for instance sickness, and other problems. If the people that came out with first class from their school did not attend classes and do their assignments properly, do u think they will have first class?. Nevertheless some of them paid 4 it in cash or in kind.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2011
2:2 is not a bad result at all, it is similar to having 3/5 in a test. Most of the people that came out with first class and 2:1 did so because of the assignments and attendance marks that boosted their marks in school. If u don't attend classes properly and u don't do your assignments regularly whenever u are given an assignment, it simply means u are not going to earn your attendance and assessments marks respectively and this will definitely bring about a MINUS in your grade but that does not mean u are not intelligent. A lot of things can make u miss lectures and assignments in school, for instance sickness, and other problems. If the people that came out with first class from their school did not attend classes and do their assignments properly, do u think they will have first class?. Nevertheless some of them paid 4 it in cash or in kind.

Wake up!
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by favouredjb(f): 6:27pm On Jun 15, 2011
I Can tell you every father or parents so to speak wants their children to graduate with good gradess,

recently during one of my younger one's convocation,my dad was so mproud to tell anyone who cared to listen that his daughter came out tops
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by meiloya: 8:16pm On Jun 15, 2011
Nija4Life:

You forgot to also mention the access to up-to-date books, literature and journals to facilitate research. What is the quality of the teaching staff? How are they recruited and is there an inspection regime in place to adequately monitor the quality of teaching and learning? How many scholars or academics have been cited in journals and academic publications? What is the quality of students recruited? How are these students recruited?

No Nigerian University or indeed an African University is in the top 500 in the world (http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp) [b][/b]~ as much as we understandably want to big up our own the truth is that our universities are not yet ready to compete in global academic excellence due to lack of investment and corruption in the university system. You cannot also discuss university education in isolation because they get their students from secondary schools and like we all know the standards of secondary education in Nigeria leaves a lot to be desired. The quality of the students a university gets goes some way to define a university and that definition isn’t a very good one in some cases. http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com

Oga/Madam Nija4life, is UCT not an African University? The last time I checked, it was among the top 200. Now, it has fallen to top 300, Of course, your bolded claim will be very right if and only if UCT is not in Africa, The last time I was there, it was an African Uni, Maybe things don change,,Oyinbo don take am,
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 22, 2011
Guys, i'm currently on 2;2 my first year,, can i stil make 1st class?.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by tanimola22: 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2011
It
Twisting:

Guys, i'm currently on 2;2 my first year,, can i stil make 1st class?.

It depends on your 2:2 GPA; it also depends on the semester of the first year you are currently in. Is your GPA up to 3/5? Are you in the first semester of the first year?

Peace.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 22, 2011
I'm gonna be in 200level,by september.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by tanimola22: 5:38pm On Aug 22, 2011
Incomplete information still,
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 7:37pm On Aug 22, 2011
It depends on your 2:2 GPA; it also depends on the semester of the first year you are currently in. Is your GPA up to 3/5? Are you in the first semester of the first year?

The truth is, with a 2.2 in his 100 level he will need to work his ass off to be able to make a 1st class, getting As all through the remaining years. @op, just work hard and make a good 2.1. At the labour market, both 1st class and 2.1 have somewhat equal chances.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 26, 2011
Ok thanks coz some lecturers say if u dnt make your 4. In fresher year u can't make it again.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Saxophemsy: 9:39am On Sep 26, 2011
I must say, life in Nigeria is not a life. Everyone is following the same routine. Get to university, get a first class, then a well-paying oil company job. Then the next is to get a wife and kid. That's every parents dream for their children. No parent has really opened the records to their children and show them notable people in life e.g albert einstein, newton, bill gates. No parents has said ' son, i want you to be like these ones. Make your name known worldwide, break away from the conventions and be unique'. There is more to success than a 'pali' reading first class. Where are the majority of the first class materials. I must say anyone citing dora, okonjo, soyinka and the likes as an example of the success of nigerian universities is missing it. Imagine a country with first class graduates still importing chocolates. Nigerian government has failed everyone

1 Like

Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Mustay(m): 10:28am On Apr 04, 2013
chamber2:

My dear, sadly, that is the reality.Our graduates are nothing to right home about.We are talking about the spread of learning and knowledge.A situation where only but a handful can be called graduates in the right sense of it is pitiful.Take the case of a graduating class of 150, and only about 20% or so come out as real university graduates (maybe this 20 % is where you fall in).I mean, it's really bad.

Yes, most of our students do well abroad, but these are our very best and brightest competing with maybe the 2.2 or third class from Asia and other parts of the world in the same class.Take them to Harvard etc where the competition is stiff and evaluate your result.

This is not write you know!!!
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Princelyod(m): 12:43am On Apr 05, 2013
Is there no possibility that this chap in question co undecideduld have made a cgpa of 3.49 which is ofcourse still a 2.2 with an 'infinitesimal'difference of 0.01 and yet he shares out of this same unfair treatment.I know a couple of people who missed the point by this comparatively immeasurable point difference yet they get a different treatment from a fellow colleague who was lucky to highup to this 'upper'with 3.5 cgpa...and yet,we rate intelligence between this two parties differently.smh
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by arctoni: 5:54pm On Nov 03, 2013
Wizardofoz:

I know him.

So he finshed with a 3rd class? As in a 3rd class brain? And you, if we are to go by genomics, have a third class brain? Not to talk of the people that gave birth to you? And your kids would have.      .      .   maybe I should stop now. grin

Orisirisi!

Anyway, congrats to you and your brother, Mr. 3rd class brain from UI. This is one of the reasons this country will never move forward, nepotism and the elevation of mediocrity (3rd class-ism)  over excellence (1st class-ism). No wonder the whole BRT, and transportaion issues in Lagos, was poorly concieved and 'third-class-ically' implemented. When you allow '3rd class-tic' brains to run something, you should not expect a '1st-class-tic' result, or should we?

After all, you cant give what you dont hand.

Am sorry bro,u ar jst a clown ad sory 2 say a kid 2......dat statmnt d guy made was 2 encourage pple nt 2 giv up ad nt jst abt 3rd class,use ur head
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by kaka22(m): 9:24pm On Nov 03, 2013
@all...Wole Soyinka graduated with 2.1 not 3rd class as widely believed. Soyinka debunked this himself
Source: http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/2013/07/15/didnt-class-degree-wole-soyinka/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Universities Offering Part Time Studies With Centres In Lagos / Merit List Of Engineering Student Of Unilag / Lasu External System Admission List!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.