Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,253 members, 7,815,380 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? (685 Views)

Hakimi: Can A Man's Wife Be Regarded As His Family Member? - Twitter Debate / Can Someone Explain The Feeling Of Disgust, Remorse And Disdain After Sex.? / Women With 8 Inch Long Clitoris Can Now Be Regarded As Men, Abuja Court Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 10, 2021
Why do Christians and Muslims and our few self-acclaimed Jews look down on Traditional worshippers in Africa?

Not those who perform human sacrifices... Nor those who pretend that they have powers to make you wealthy or make your love interest reciprocate your affections...

But those who practice spirituality... Who know they are Africans and embraces their roots... Who've denounced those foreign religions who made our people into slaves..
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 10, 2021

Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 10, 2021

Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Omicron007: 8:03pm On Dec 10, 2021
shocked

Achebe's magnum opus, Things Fall Apart easily comes to mind.
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by illicit(m): 8:07pm On Dec 10, 2021
Maybe they don't have a lawyer
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 10, 2021

Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 10, 2021
illicit:
Maybe they don't have a lawyer
A lawyer for what?
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by AoifeNightfall: 8:42pm On Dec 10, 2021
Are you sure it's religion or just the way Africans are? I don't know how to put it.

Sigmund Freud in one of his books wrote that humans have always wanted an ideal father figure and when their human fathers do not live up to these idealistic models that we have preconceived in our minds of what fathers should be like, when we realise our human fathers are not infallible, we turn to "God"

Africa is very patriarchal, it's one of the human societies that the father highly respected and revered and so Christianity appeals very much to us. Because Christianity is very patriachal too. Talk about things like women should not talk in the church blah blah blah

This is just one of the reasons I think Africans are attracted to religions like Christianity (and islam)

1 Like

Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 9:47pm On Dec 10, 2021
Because it no longer has value.
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 10, 2021
Datboredberry:
Why do Christians and Muslims and our few self-acclaimed Jews look down on Traditional worshippers in Africa?

Not those who perform human sacrifices... Nor those who pretend that they have powers to make you wealthy or make your love interest reciprocate your affections...

But those who practice spirituality... Who know they are Africans and embraces their roots... Who've denounced those foreign religions who made our people into slaves..
Berry what do you understand by spirituality?
And how does the Christians and the rest look down on traditional rulers?
I'd really appreciate your reply..
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 12:13am On Dec 11, 2021
GonzalezAguero:

Berry what do you understand by spirituality?
And how does the Christians and the rest look down on traditional rulers?
I'd really appreciate your reply..
Not traditional rulers...

Do you think worshippers of Osun are bad?!
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 11, 2021
Negroid001:
Because it no longer has value.
Neither does Christianity... Nor Islam... They are worse...

When Africans were true to ourselves, we did so much...

Now, everyone withing for the damn Arabs to take away our problems and save our souls...
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 12:18am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
Neither does Christianity... Nor Islam... They are worse...

When Africans were true to ourselves, we did so much...

Now, everyone withing for the damn Arabs to take away our problems and save our souls...
How is christianity and islam worse?
All na beliefs. Same thing innit?
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 11, 2021
AoifeNightfall:
Are you sure it's religion or just the way Africans are? I don't know how to put it.

Sigmund Freud in one of his books wrote that humans have always wanted an ideal father figure and when their human fathers do not live up to these idealistic models that we have preconceived in our minds of what fathers should be like, when we realise our human fathers are not infallible, we turn to "God"

Africa is very patriarchal, it's one of the human societies that the father highly respected and revered and so Christianity appeals very much to us. Because Christianity is very patriachal too. Talk about things like women should not talk in the church blah blah blah

This is just one of the reasons I think Africans are attracted to religions like Christianity (and islam)
But African spirituality.. we had no problem practicing it before the Arabs and Europeans came to Africa..

We didn't care for a father figure.. We worshipped both male and female deities.. Believing both to be equally powerful in different ways..

Women are the earth and water...men are fire and iron..

Both Christianity and Islam... Their gods are misogynists.. no regard for women, even giving laws that they should be stoned to death for every little reason.

If not for the Arabs invading Africa, and the transatlantic slave trade... Africans would have been content serving both men and women...

GonzalezAguero: this is the meaning...

Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 12:37am On Dec 11, 2021
Negroid001:
How is christianity and islam worse?
All na beliefs. Same thing innit?
Simply worshipping a god from the middle east- That's mental slavery...

Worshipping that God, who was brought to you in the form of slavery (both Christianity and Islam)- That's worse than mental slavery...

Expecting these Arab gods to save your African soul and bless you, even though neither the quoran nor Bible not Torah ever mention Nigeria- That makes you irredeemable...

Hating on traditional worshippers who actually remained true to themselves, serving gods who look like them, speak their language- Thats, I can't even find the right words...

Being obsessed with these Arab gods, speaking in tongues and casing down invisible fires on your enemies or being a suicide bomber... While the Europeans who brought this religion to you have exploited your countries, used it to their advantage and moved on...and the Middle East also- I have nothing to type...

Christianity and Islam have ruined Africans sense of identity... Made them into self-loathing slaves... And given them hope in the Arab men in the sky...

The irony... Most Westerns aren't as religious as we are... The greatest scam... We had the lands, the gold, the oil...etc... They taught us to pray, and when we opened our eyes, we had only the Bible and Quran in our hands... They got everything...
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 1:25am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
Simply worshipping a god from the middle east- That's mental slavery...

Worshipping that God, who was brought to you in the form of slavery (both Christianity and Islam)- That's worse than mental slavery...

Expecting these Arab gods to save your African soul and bless you, even though neither the quoran nor Bible not Torah ever mention Nigeria- That makes you irredeemable...

Hating on traditional worshippers who actually remained true to themselves, serving gods who look like them, speak their language- Thats, I can't even find the right words...

Being obsessed with these Arab gods, speaking in tongues and casing down invisible fires on your enemies or being a suicide bomber... While the Europeans who brought this religion to you have exploited your countries, used it to their advantage and moved on...and the Middle East also- I have nothing to type...

Christianity and Islam have ruined Africans sense of identity... Made them into self-loathing slaves... And given them hope in the Arab men in the sky...

The irony... Most Westerns aren't as religious as we are... The greatest scam... We had the lands, the gold, the oil...etc... They taught us to pray, and when we opened our eyes, we had only the Bible and Quran in our hands... They got everything...
Do you think we would have advanced as a nation without being colonised?
We for still dey do human sacrifice, twins to the evil forest, technology and shi.

Colonialism had it benefits
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 1:36am On Dec 11, 2021
Negroid001:
Do you think we would have advanced as a nation without being colonised?
We for still dey do human sacrifice, twins to the evil forest, technology and shi.

Colonialism had it benefits
we would have dropped those... Eventually...

I can't stand the Europeans...
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 1:41am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
we would have dropped those... Eventually...

I can't stand the Europeans...
I despise them as well. Our fore fathers fumbled by not advancing in terms of weapons and civilisation. Lemme burst your bubbles. Was shocked when i discovered the slave trade wasn't forced on us, we actually sold ourselves. Victims were captured from other tribes and forcefully enslaved. Oyibo man took advantage of out greediness and naivety.
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 1:48am On Dec 11, 2021
Negroid001:
I despise them as well. Our fore fathers fumbled by not advancing in terms of weapons and civilisation. Lemme burst your bubbles. Was shocked when i discovered the slave trade wasn't forced on us, we actually sold ourselves. Victims were captured from other tribes and forcefully enslaved. Oyibo man took advantage of out greediness and naivety.
I completely disagree.. but this is an argument for another day.. I am still upset after discovering the account of one racist scum here... Not to mention this night's terror...

I am shaken..
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 1:51am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
I completely disagree.. but this is an argument for another day.. I am still upset after discovering the account of one racist scum here... Not to mention this night's terror...

I am shaken..
Do your research.
Check wikipedia too
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 2:23am On Dec 11, 2021
Negroid001:
Do your research.
Check wikipedia too
A few African tribes do not represent Africa... The Europeans try to justify their actions by saying, 'Africans sold Africans'... But with their guns, what choice did these Africans have? We need to remember, there wasn't exactly an option... There were so many Kings and Queens who fought these invaders... Why are they not remembered as the bad ones? It's all white-washed history... Remember how the Ethiopians had fought the Italians and won, and how Europe spread the lie that the monarch of Ethiopia was white?

Slavery was practiced everywhere in the world... So because a few Africans did it, I'm not going to crucify my people... The Europeans sold and bought themselves... So did the South Americans and even the Jews, their God even gave them rules on how to treat their slaves... I won't hold Africans to impossibly high standards...

The difference is this:: in Africa, slaves were made into servants... They were mostly prisoners of war... Survivors... They still lived amongst the tribe they served, married the people and had children... Sometimes, they were set free, given lands... They were treated with respect... There was no campaign to make them inferior, or to torture and rape, or to condemn their culture and way of life...

The Americans however, after the slave trade, then came segregation and Jim Crow... It never ended... The slaves were treated worse than animals and don't forget the rest of us back home who had to suffer colonialism...

As for Civilization... What society did you put on a pedestal? What did you judge Africa with? Europe? Every land is uniquely different... The Europeans wore ball gowns and wigs and discovered gunpowder... Good... I still consider Africans civilized... In our own way... Creating objects of mass destruction is anything but progressive... If not for the whites, other countries wouldnt need to spend so much on their military... What's your definition of civilization? Abandoning your culture for another? Africa did so, look at us now? Compare this entire continent to China which is still so beautifully traditional... You can embrace technology without forfeiting your identity.

The whites didn't take advantage of our greed or anything like that... The Africans then mostly didn't have a choice... Like the Americans... We would have fought against them with bows and arrows? Risking our lives and our families? It wasn't an easy decision... I believe... You think they could have said no and the whites would have left?

Africans didn't bother to invent weapons... You might mistake their consideration for human life to be weakness... Yeah, we had some nasty beliefs... Compare that to the Whites who burnt hundreds out of their superstition...(a mole being the teat the devil suckles from and that kinda crap)... or the crucifixions... Beheadings... Hangings... Blood eagle... Hanging, drawing and quartering... Not to mention the million more ways they tortured themselves... Brazen bull...etc

Barbarians... More than my people who's only crimes, I can count with the fingers of a single hand... undecided

I didn't want to argue tonight...
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 2:39am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
A few African tribes do not represent Africa... The Europeans try to justify their actions by saying, 'Africans sold Africans'... But with their guns, what choice did these Africans have? We need to remember, there wasn't exactly an option... There were so many Kings and Queens who fought these invaders... Why are they not remembered as the bad ones? It's all white-washed history... Remember how the Ethiopians had fought the Italians and won, and how Europe spread the lie that the monarch of Ethiopia was white?

Slavery was practiced everywhere in the world... So because a few Africans did it, I'm not going to crucify my people... The Europeans sold and bought themselves... So did the South Americans and even the Jews, their God even gave them rules on how to treat their slaves... I won't hold Africans to impossibly high standards...

The difference is this:: in Africa, slaves were made into servants... They were mostly prisoners of war... Survivors... They still lived amongst the tribe they served, married the people and had children... Sometimes, they were set free, given lands... They were treated with respect... There was no campaign to make them inferior, or to torture and rape, or to condemn their culture and way of life...

The Americans however, after the slave trade, then came segregation and Jim Crow... It never ended... The slaves were treated worse than animals and don't forget the rest of us back home who had to suffer colonialism...

As for Civilization... What society did you put on a pedestal? What did you judge Africa with? Europe? Every land is uniquely different... The Europeans wore ball gowns and wigs and discovered gunpowder... Good... I still consider Africans civilized... In our own way... Creating objects of mass destruction is anything but progressive... If not for the whites, other countries wouldnt need to spend so much on their military... What's your definition of civilization? Abandoning your culture for another? Africa did so, look at us now? Compare this entire continent to China which is still so beautifully traditional... You can embrace technology without forfeiting your identity.

The whites didn't take advantage of our greed or anything like that... The Africans then mostly didn't have a choice... Like the Americans... We would have fought against them with bows and arrows? Risking our lives and our families? It wasn't an easy decision... I believe... You think they could have said no and the whites would have left?

Africans didn't bother to invent weapons... You might mistake their consideration for human life to be weakness... Yeah, we had some nasty beliefs... Compare that to the Whites who burnt hundreds out of their superstition...(a mole being the teat the devil suckles from and that kinda crap)... or the crucifixions... Beheadings... Hangings... Blood eagle... Hanging, drawing and quartering... Not to mention the million more ways they tortured themselves... Brazen bull...etc

Barbarians... More than my people who's only crimes, I can count with the fingers of a single hand... undecided

Thank God you know already that slavery existed before they came.
Let me be frank with you. Africa is past it's glory days. We're slowly recovering.
As for the traditional thing, it will go extinct in most parts of Nigeria except for the indigenous ones who practice it solemnly.
Atheism and Agnosticism are fast building beliefs raging the country like this.
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 2:44am On Dec 11, 2021
Negroid001:
Thank God you know already that slavery existed before they came.
Let me be frank with you. Africa is past it's glory days. We're slowly recovering.
As for the traditional thing, it will go extinct in most parts of Nigeria except for the indigenous ones who practice it solemnly.
Atheism and Agnosticism are fast building beliefs raging the country like this.
I'm an Atheist... It's better than any religion... I still love my culture... It only Africans can find a way to balance the scales... Sometimes I get mad why we can't get our sh** together... Other times, I'm considerate to what Africa has been through and I rightfully blame the west.... It's a love-hate relationship between my sweet continent and I...

Africa isn't recovering... We'll simply strive to be a poor imitation of the West... And we would fail woefully... Because we can't even be good second-hand.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 2:47am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
I'm an Atheist... It's better than any religion... I still love my culture... It only Africans can find a way to balance the scales... Sometimes I get mad why we can't get our sh** together... Other times, I'm considerate to what Africa has been through and I rightfully blame the west.... It's a love-hate relationship between my sweet continent and I...

Africa isn't recovering... We'll simply strive to be a poor imitation of the West... And we would fair woefully... Because we can't even be good second-hand.
Was formerly Atheist. Now Agnostic.
Africa will rise from it ruins don't worry. It will just take a long time. The western world you see today didn't just sprout from nowhere, these guys have been doing their homework well for a very long time.
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 2:52am On Dec 11, 2021
Negroid001:
Was formerly Atheist. Now Agnostic.
Africa will rise from it ruins don't worry. It will just take a long time. The western world you see today didn't just sprout from nowhere, these guys have been doing their homework well for a very long time.
Are we willing to put in the effort? I doubt... Africa and mediocrity... Like 5 and 6...

But I can only dream... If I had a single wish, I'll ask for this, that Africa rises up back again. smiley

Thank you!
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 2:55am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
Are we willing to put in the effort? I doubt... Africa and mediocrity... Like 5 and 6...

But I can only dream... If I had a single wish, I'll ask for this, that Africa rises up back again. smiley

Thank you!
The western world have also had their own share of mediocrity too.
We will rise.
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 6:10am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:
Not traditional rulers...

Do you think worshippers of Osun are bad?!
I respect everyone's choice and I don't have any right to criticize anyone's belief...but Berry you know if Christianity is against women and stuffs as you mentioned..you can surely be an atheist or a traditional worshipper..you do have a great point and I appreciate you for that..
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Nobody: 6:43am On Dec 11, 2021
The white man told us it waa evil
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by dazzlingd(m): 7:04am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:

Hmmm, I like when I see intelligent minds especially when they are nigerians,it gives me hope. Too many moronsss everywhere one begin to think if there is any sane person among black africans
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Kobicove(m): 7:17am On Dec 11, 2021
Because Africans have low self esteem and believe that anything foreign is superior to things that originally originated in Africa undecided
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Furcko: 7:50am On Dec 11, 2021
Datboredberry:

Thank you!
it pisses me off to read or hear shit that ppl argue of when they have no fvcking clue what even happened then but just simply hear say...

This useless argument been metted out happened even bfor your grandfather was even born but yet the moronic girl wants to take up shit she absolutely has no clue about but only what she reads in newspapers, Wikipedia and journals

News flash....this is the 21st century
Articles get whitewashed overtime and such speculations holds no water bcus none of you and I repeat none of you have any clue of what happened then only those who lived through would give you a full rundown of the pros and cons of that era through his own experience but unfortunately that generation is long gone , even a nonagerian today wasn't born then talkmore of an 18yr old girl with no prospect about life coming online to cap shit with the support of a man In his thirties who was still in his father's infant balls as of the time the Beatles group was popular
Re: Why Are Traditional Worshippers Regarded With Disdain? by Negroid001(m): 7:55am On Dec 11, 2021
Furcko:
it pisses me off to read or hear shit that ppl argue of when they have no fvcking clue what even happened then but just simply hear say...

This useless argument been metted out happened even bfor your grandfather was even born but yet the moronic girl wants to take up shit she absolutely has no clue about but only what she reads in newspapers, Wikipedia and journals

News flash....this is the 21st century
Articles get whitewashed overtime and such speculations holds no water bcus none of you and I repeat none of you have any clue of what happened then only those who experienced what it was like would give you a full detail of the pros and cons and not an 18yr old girl with no prospect about life coming online to tap shit
There no point arguing with someone who believes they can never be incorrect. Before the colonialism and shi, we basically don't know anything about our history. Our oldest references are the slave trade and folklore stories.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Sorry Bigcowhorn, Fernandezpablo, Ocholu, Chibudollar And Others / Three Reason Why People Always Chase Those They Can’t Have / Does Nairaland Pay People For Creating Topics?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.