Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Should I Take This Job?(photo) - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should I Take This Job?(photo) (36961 Views)

Should I Quit This Job? / They Say Web Dev'ment Is Saturated, What TECH Stack Should I Take On / Seunosewa Abeg Unflag My Site :: Na God I Take Beg You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Masace1: 10:38am On Dec 12, 2021
N
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by tunize(m): 10:40am On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:
I've been learning frontend web development for a while now and after getting to a stage I react I decided to test the waters as regards to available jobs. I've been spamming LinkedIn and Indeed with applications though I apply for mostly Internship or Entry level positions.

Its been over two weeks I've been sending applications and only one Lebanese company has contacted me for an assessment and I've applied for over 200 jobs within that period.

The issue now is that the Lebanese company gave me a mini full stack project to complete within 48 hours though the time can be extended on request. Now I'm just a rookie frontend developer with no experience at all with back end, the frontend of the project has to be done with react which I can handle but I'm stuck at the back end.

I downloaded tones of tutorials on node js pertaining the project but I can't just wrap my head around it within such limited time frame. I have a little below 24 hours before the deadline and I've made little or no head way.

Even if I manage to get the project done won't I be biting more than I can chew knowing it's a full stack position? Or should I find a way around the project and learn on the job?. I wouldn't want my desperation for a job to put me into trouble.
Should I let this one slide and wait for opportunities that suit my current skill set while I further develop my skills? I haven't slept for the past 24 hours due to this project and I'm stressed out already.

Please my bosses I need your input on this matter.

Modified: I've been able to create a react app that displays the CSV file table on the frontend but I'm just overwhelmed with the back end

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb
I can link you up with my cousin on working on your backend what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by matatu: 10:41am On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:
I've been learning frontend web development for a while now and after getting to a stage I react I decided to test the waters as regards to available jobs. I've been spamming LinkedIn and Indeed with applications though I apply for mostly Internship or Entry level positions.

Its been over two weeks I've been sending applications and only one Lebanese company has contacted me for an assessment and I've applied for over 200 jobs within that period.

The issue now is that the Lebanese company gave me a mini full stack project to complete within 48 hours though the time can be extended on request. Now I'm just a rookie frontend developer with no experience at all with back end, the frontend of the project has to be done with react which I can handle but I'm stuck at the back end.

I downloaded tones of tutorials on node js pertaining the project but I can't just wrap my head around it within such limited time frame. I have a little below 24 hours before the deadline and I've made little or no head way.

Even if I manage to get the project done won't I be biting more than I can chew knowing it's a full stack position? Or should I find a way around the project and learn on the job?. I wouldn't want my desperation for a job to put me into trouble.
Should I let this one slide and wait for opportunities that suit my current skill set while I further develop my skills? I haven't slept for the past 24 hours due to this project and I'm stressed out already.

Modified: I've been able to create a react app that displays the CSV file table on the frontend but I'm just overwhelmed with the back end

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb
Op, get this
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 12, 2021
qtguru:
@OP Haba next time show the question, this is not hard at all. Call me when you have such assignments, I will guide you through, built way more complex sh.it than this. But practice and read first
Boss I follow your diary, you're strong. I wish to be like you when I grow up.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by qtguru(m): 10:45am On Dec 12, 2021
Onahi95:

Boss I follow your diary, you're strong. I wish to be like you when I grow up.

Pls only the positive parts o, we can all learn just laziness on my part

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by anochuko01(m): 10:46am On Dec 12, 2021
At least you've learnt something...

Keep on pushing
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 10:46am On Dec 12, 2021
money121:
Ok
The boss himself.....good morning sir

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by joeking2222: 10:47am On Dec 12, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly this advice only works when you are at a senior developer. Op please don't take this advice. I also spammed jobs before I got my first job. People I advised to spam jobs have gotten good jobs very good. One I know in fact works for two companies. One in the UK and the other in Australia. He earns over 3 million a month and he hasn't been coding professionally for up to a year. Even I don't earn up to one million though my earnings are in the high six digits range.

Spam and apply please you are a junior Dev. If you build 100 things from videos and copying and pasting stack overflow solutions it will absolutely never be up to standard. Get into the industry and learn how things work at an industry standard.

What I will advise you op as you are getting interviews is to work on your algorithms. Don't waste your time building any new thing. The ones you have done are okay.
Sir, how una take dey learn all things self? Wat and wat person need
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Afonjashapmouth: 10:48am On Dec 12, 2021
The rule of employment is .. " Do not turn down a job because you cannot do it" ..... Bro if you cannot beat them, rent people to and learn from the process.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 10:49am On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb

This exam isn't so bad. Use PHP for the back-end. With PHP MySQL you make short work of it. Not terribly familiar with REACT so can't help much there.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 10:50am On Dec 12, 2021
qtguru:
@OP Haba next time show the question, this is not hard at all. Call me when you have such assignments, I will guide you through, built way more complex sh.it than this. But practice and read first
Okay boss, the deadline is almost up for the assessment, though I decided to let it go since I'm not prepared for it. I would appreciate if you can take me under your wings and teach me a few things so I help help with some of those projects you're overloaded with even if its for free

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 10:51am On Dec 12, 2021
Afonjashapmouth:
The rule of employment is .. " Do not turn down a job because you cannot do it" ..... Bro if you cannot beat them, rent people to and learn from the process.
Thanks for the idea, I've learnt something new. Will make better use of my next opportunity.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 10:51am On Dec 12, 2021
qtguru:
It is not possible to consume so much in 24hrs , just let it go and prepare well for the next one. Personally join Upworks and start small till you gain good experience or do a big personal project.

also watch youtube there's always someone explaining a concept better

Not true. I gained proficiency in PHP in as little as 3 hours because that's what I had to do to move along, and besides the requirements is actually quite elementary.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 10:52am On Dec 12, 2021
Alusiizizi:

This exam isn't so bad. Use PHP for the back-end. With PHP MySQL you make short work of it. Not terribly familiar with REACT so can't help much there.
I don't know much about PHP, that was my problem, I've learnt my lessons though next time I will look for a back end developer to partner with

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Ramoki: 10:53am On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb

You shud have had thorough knowledge of this before taking the job. If u can't wrap your head around it, let it slide till u get something that u can handle while u work on your skills.
SHALOM

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:

qtguru
Tranzengatsu
Kalerb

Send an email to the company and explain your situation to them, you might be lucky and you would be given a Front end job.

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 10:54am On Dec 12, 2021
tunize:

I can link you up with my cousin on working on your backend what do you think?
Sure I'm interested
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by SeriouslySense(m): 10:55am On Dec 12, 2021
exactly
qtguru:
It is not possible to consume so much in 24hrs , just let it go and prepare well for the next one. Personally join Upworks and start small till you gain good experience or do a big personal project.

also watch youtube there's always someone explaining a concept better
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Alusiizizi(m): 11:01am On Dec 12, 2021
Supreme145:

I don't know much about PHP, that was my problem, I've learnt my lessons though next time I will look for a back end developer to partner with

If you're going to be touching anything related to a database then PHP is a must. As an aspiring web developer you must become proficient in the following: HTML, CSS and PHP. If you actually want to be marketable then JavaScript is a must learn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by MMXX: 11:07am On Dec 12, 2021
I respect every boss in this field, procrastination and everyday busy hustle would not let me concentrate.

I will do good someday cry
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by SeriouslySense(m): 11:12am On Dec 12, 2021
kai, i also think like that sometimes, but we will all get there, for sure

MMXX:
I respect every boss in this field, procrastination and everyday busy hustle would not let me concentrate.

I will do good someday cry

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nyanabo(m): 11:13am On Dec 12, 2021
Sir, most of these jobs are learning on the job spec. No one knows it all before they started.

Hands on experience. And you also have the zeal to learn is what matters.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 12, 2021
Sometimes you don't need a skill, what you need is smartness.

Get someone who's good at it... Compensate him, and have him do all your work.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Karleb(m): 11:17am On Dec 12, 2021
48 hours? undecided

Forget it.
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Supreme145(m): 11:17am On Dec 12, 2021
HenryDion:
Sometimes you don't need a skill, what you need is smartness.

Get someone who's good at it... Compensate him, and have him do all your work.
Thanks boss I've learnt my lesson
Re: Should I Take This Job?(photo) by Mrquote: 11:25am On Dec 12, 2021
Bro I have been see people saying this hard or letting it slide l. Don't let it slide try and solve it. For this easy this just like a simple website that take in csv and store it and allow you to get the data from a front end as csv format. Research very well this task is very easy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Leaving Nigeria Must Be Your Utmost Priority As A Programmer / Project Topics Tips For Computer Science Undergraduates / How To Download Any Udemy Course For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.