Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

"Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) (73992 Views)

Body Of Man Who Jumped Into Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge Water Recovered / Man Stopped From Committing Suicide By Jumping Into Lagos Lagoon (Photos, Video) / Family Confirms Death Of Lagos Diploma Holder Who Jumped Into Lagoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by DoggoneDogg: 6:19pm On Dec 17, 2021
By Alao Abiodun
Ms Sofiat Amusa, wife of the 25-year-old man who committed suicide by jumping into a lagoon in the Epe area of Lagos, said her husband acted strangely before his death.

“Depression and frustration of not being attended to by his parents contributed to my husband’s death,” she said.

The Nation reports the deceased body was found on Thursday.

The deceased had a 11-month-old daughter before his demise.

A viral video seen by The Nation shows Olalekan sitting on the handrail of the Lagos bridge before jumping into the lagoon.

A voice in the 30-second video is heard asking Olalekan what was wrong with him, but he did not respond.

The Nation learnt Olalekan was a holder of an Ordinary National Diploma (OND) certificate from the Department of Quantity Surveying at the Lagos State Polytechnic, and a worker at Alaro City, a mega estate along the Lekki-Epe Expressway.

Many social media users wondered why the person filming did not make an attempt to rescue him.

The deceased’s 21-year-old wife, in an interview, attributed her husband’s death to frustration and depression.

She said: “Abdulrahman Odunare Olamilekan was my husband. Suddenly we heard about the incident and how it occurred.

“We lived together before his demise but he has been acting strangely for some days before his death.

“I complained about his strange behaviour to his parents but they ignored it until he died.

“Lack of parental care, depression and frustration of not being attended to by his parents contributed to my husband’s death.

“He was a drug addict, he does not take Colorado but he took Arizona. But before the incident occurred, he didn’t do drugs.

“We were shocked when we heard the news, but before it happened, he has been saying it for about three days before the incident occurred and he has been saying some depressing words.

“If he was monitored closely, it would have not led to death.

“My husband’s dead body was found two days after he plunged into lagoon and he has since been buried at the lagoon side.

“There is no one standing by me now except my own family.

“No one from my deceased husband family has contacted me, and I’ve no friends who can support.

“I’ll appreciate the support of Nigerians.

“Before his demise, he pleaded that I should take care of his child.”

She appealed to Nigerians to support her with food and cash to take care of their daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4dElhUiMlI

Source: The Nation

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 17, 2021
Hmm...someone who would have saved his life was busy taking video of him so that he can post on social media and trend.

Let's think about this, marijuana is one of the causes of depression in many smokers, it reduces dopamine level in their brain and make them numb to emotions, the pain excessive marijuana intake causes to your sense of reality can literally make a smoker commit sucide. It is always cool when people think you smoke marijuana but the damage it does to your brain is sometimes irreversible.

The sad part is that the man has left this world and his wife will have to continue the journey of taking care of their daughter by any means possible.

302 Likes 25 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Wawelexy(m): 6:24pm On Dec 17, 2021
The person above me is either a non smoker or occasional smoker...

Possible cause of his death;
LOAN/DEBT
SPORT/VIRTUAL BETTING
POVERTY

The wife said he doesn't take Colorado but smokes Arizona and that he stops smoking before the incident,
If the guys didn't stop smoking, may be he might still be alive, cos AZ makes you forget ur worries for a while and bring temporal joy. The thought of him not being able to puff that sh*t again might just make him have a second thought just to overcome the suicidal thought.

May his soul rest in perfect peace, I pity his wife and kid. Pray they gets help.

333 Likes 33 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by dollynnn(f): 6:24pm On Dec 17, 2021
Suicide is never an option

71 Likes 10 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by neoclassical: 6:24pm On Dec 17, 2021
For those who are accusing the person that recorded the video why he did not rescue the deceased, are you guys blind to see that the guy was sitting in a dangerous position. Any attempt to hold him at that moment would have resulted in both the guy and the rescuer falling inside the lagoon. So unfortunate he died that way.
At the same time, I condemn early marriage in its entirety. Imagine blaming the parents for not taking care of a married man, when he is supposed to be taking care of his parents. If you have a means of livelihood, you can marry anything you want, otherwise, why rushing into marriage at such early stage. Such depression would have been avoided if he did not have a family to cater for at the age of 25 years without tangible means of sustenance, considering the perilous times we find ourselves orchestrated by evil old men who call themselves leaders.
May his soul rest in peace.

845 Likes 80 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by christistruth01: 6:28pm On Dec 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
Hmm...someone who would have saved his life was busy taking video of him so that he can post on social media and trend.

Let's think about, excessive marijuana is one causes of depression

If the Person talking to him had signalled to others he Could have been Caught from behind by 3 or 4 People while the other Person talking to him distracted him

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by money121(m): 6:30pm On Dec 17, 2021
Too bad

SAY NO TO DRUG

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by baby124: 6:31pm On Dec 17, 2021
Mental illness. I am sure he had issues his family know about. Which is why they have not shown up. It’s not a shock to them. They no wan answer questions.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by DoggoneDogg: 6:32pm On Dec 17, 2021
christistruth01:

If the Person talking to him had signalled to others he Could have been Caught from behind by 3 or 4 People while the other Person talking to him distracted him

You must be new to earth. Humans love seeing other humans suffer lowkey.

86 Likes 12 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by backnbeta(f): 6:33pm On Dec 17, 2021
The wife said he did drugs, was married with a kid and probably low resources to maintain the family, lived in a country full of frustration...so many things to make him depressed. The parents may not even be any better and probably didn't support his lifestyle which may explain why they didn't contact the wife. May his soul RIP and I hope his wife gets the help she needs undecided

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by yamunla(m): 6:34pm On Dec 17, 2021
HER FAMILY WAN USE HER CASH OUT SHARP SHARP

May the soul of her husband RIP

5 Likes

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by tolue42(m): 6:37pm On Dec 17, 2021
Hmmmmm
Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Shetemi12(m): 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2021
I'm not happy he chose to die that way!

2 Likes

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by christistruth01: 6:40pm On Dec 17, 2021
DoggoneDogg:

You must be new to earth. Humans love seeing other humans suffer lowkey.

That is how they stop People from Jumping from Buildings or other dangerous places

Many of them latter go back to say" Thank you" because they didn't realize what they were doing at Time

Do you know Nnamdi Azikiwe was so frustrated that he tried to kill himself when he was just 23 years old

It was a kind hearted Black American that saw him and dragged him off the Railway Tracks and encouraged him to keep on living

Look What Nnamdi Azikiwe later became the Premier of the Eastern Region and the first Ceremonial Nigerian President before he passed away at almost 94 years

105 Likes 15 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by BKayy: 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2021
He died because of Lack of self control.
If he controlled his dick and didn't impregnate you, he will still be (directly or indirectly) under the support of his parents or relatives pending his financial independence.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Cholls(m): 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2021
backnbeta:
He did drugs, married with a kid and probably low resources to maintain the family...so many things to make him depressed. The parents may not even be any better and probably didn't support his lifestyle which may explain why they didn't contact the wife. All in all, frustration is written all over this story undecided
my sister what is this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by BKayy: 6:41pm On Dec 17, 2021
backnbeta:
He did drugs, married with a kid and probably low resources to maintain the family...so many things to make him depressed. The parents may not even be any better and probably didn't support his lifestyle which may explain why they didn't contact the wife. All in all, frustration is written all over this story undecided
Exactly. He was killed by his penis.

2 Likes

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by devilmaycry: 6:42pm On Dec 17, 2021
So sad
Sorry for ur loss
Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by hisexcellency34: 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2021
Please youths, stay off hard drugs. There is no situation that can't be remedied. I pity the young wife and child.
NB: How do we reach out to the wife and child for support?

16 Likes

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by AfonjaConehead: 6:45pm On Dec 17, 2021
What a sad tale.

Meanwhile everyday on here, a certain philiponzaghi searches for stories about Igbos doing drugs in Asia and pastes them on here. His intention is not against the crime but to paint the Igbos in bad light.

May God help that young widow and her precious little baby girl who knows nothing about what is happening.
From her looks it's obvious they are really suffering..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by AfonjaConehead: 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2021
christistruth01:

That is how they stop People from Jumping from Buildings

Many of them latter go back to say" Thank you" because they didn't realize what they were doing at Time

Do you know Nnamdi Azikiwe was so frustrated that he tried to kill himself when he was just 23 years old

It was a kind hearted Black American that saw him and dragged him off at the Railway Tracks and encouraged him to keep on living

Look What Nnamdi Azikiwe later became

Really..then thunda will surely faya that black American. angry

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Banmeallday: 6:49pm On Dec 17, 2021
That is what the Nigger Area zoo does to folks

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Wawelexy(m): 6:49pm On Dec 17, 2021
christistruth01:

Three or Four persons on a deserted bridge?
Was the person expecting to meet him there? What if he was just a passerby that just parked his car to help?

That just the best he could do.
Any charge toward that guy(who has already made up his mind) can also lead him to trouble,
He might fall alongside the victim or get sued cos people might say he scared the victim to jumping, that a few word might have made him change his mind... Abi no be Nigerians wey I know....

All the same, Suicide is never an option...

99 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by neonly: 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2021
If he was suffering from depression can't d wife give me support or encourage him why wait for his family not an excuse pls d wife would have gone a long way to help him in dealing with depression except she was part of d guy been depressed

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by LokoH(m): 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2021
Not financially healthy and married at age 25 ? Ndi yoruba sef

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by AfonjaConehead: 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2021
This is a certain saviour....his Greek gift have put Nigerians into perpetual poverty and hardship.
He claimed he fought against the late Abacha but brought Abacha loyalist and defender upon everyone

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by seborrhic: 6:58pm On Dec 17, 2021
Your husband was a drug addict and you as a wife couldn't persuade him enough to stop it,but are now instead blaming the parents.
The question should be what efforts did u make as a loving wife.What also could have led him into drugs?Did u as the wife contribute to his depression by your character and monetary demands,knowing he was also catering for his child? Did he regret being a dad at such a young age?
Even if blame has to be shared,it should be 50-50,you as the wife and the parents,afterall any man or woman that says he or she is ready for marriage assumes he is mature enough to weather the demands of marriage.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by CUMIN: 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2021
dollynnn:
Suicide is never an option

It's an option someone just made.

9 Likes

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by pricklewane: 7:11pm On Dec 17, 2021
Rescue expert well done.
Person wey dem de ask wetin do am n he jumped before anyone near am.
christistruth01:

19 Likes

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Penguin2: 7:12pm On Dec 17, 2021
Nawao!

RIP to my man...

But he had too many vices for the good of his mental health.

Only him was married with an eleven month old daughter at 25.

Only him was used to taking Arizona.

He had so many things to worry about.

He would worry about what to eat. He would worry about what his wife will eat. And what the daughter will eat plus infant medical bills.

As if those are not enough, he would worry how to take the next Arizona.

And I’m sure he was paying rent.

Haba!

Please guys, mind the vices you take up so you don’t quicken your frustration and depression yourself.

Some of are surviving the depression because we have only what to eat to worry about and then the direction of our future.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by Laggafin: 7:26pm On Dec 17, 2021
Sanwo olu oya over to you.. adopt the mother and daughter immediately

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why My Husband Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon" - Wife (Video) by BlackyOne: 7:28pm On Dec 17, 2021
Imagine the wife blaming the deceased husband's parent grin

The wife lived with him in same house yet claimed ignorant to the cause of her husband's suicide...it either she is the main contributing factor or she's not telling the truth!

As a man, going through depression and frustration in life is more when you don't have an understanding, caring and respectful wife.

I'm not saying she's the cause but she's the wife and she knows where things went bad

17 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

17 New Cases Of Coronavirus In Nigeria. Total 305, 7 Deaths, 58 Discharged / COVID-19: WHO To Commence Vaccine Trials In Nigeria / Israeli $1.5M Gold & Diamond Face-Mask Is The Most Expensive In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.