Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Why Are Most Atheist Single? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Most Atheist Single? (1842 Views)

Why Do Most Atheist Seem Bitter,angry And Very Insultive. / How Most Atheist And Theist Behave..agnostic Are Exception / Why Are Most Nigerian Atheist Single, Lonely And/or Miserable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 19, 2021
Most atheist are single and unmarried. Why? most of you if not all of you. The only one I know who is married is married is LordReed and even he got married as a Christian (Maybe he would have been a bachelor) if he had been an atheist at an early age.

I am just curious to know don't take it personal because I for one do not even fancy the idea of marriage. I have seen so many and I can't pinpoint one and say I'll like this type for myself. But is it that you guys have lost the capacity to love? Because they say God is love and you people say there is no God. If you say there is no God then there can be no love and when there is no love. How can you love your partner and family?

So why are most of you within marriageable age still single? You haven't found atheist like yourselves or what?
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by kristonium(m): 1:31pm On Dec 19, 2021
Do we still have atheist in this Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by LordReed(m): 1:33pm On Dec 19, 2021
NewSoul:
Most atheist are single and unmarried. Why? most of you if not all of you. The only one I know who is married is married is LordReed and even he got married as a Christian (Maybe he would have been a bachelor) if he had been an atheist at an early age.

I am just curious to know don't take it personal because I for one do not even fancy the idea of marriage. I have seen so many and I can't pinpoint one and say I'll like this type for myself. But is it that you guys have lost the capacity to love? Because they say God is love and you people say there is no God. If you say there is no God then there can be no love and when there is no love. How can you love your partner and family?

So why are most of you within marriageable age still single? You haven't found atheist like yourselves or what?

I think most are unmarried because they have to rethink what the concept of marriage means without any religious ideas as the basis. It is not an easy thing to do. If I was unmarried when I became an atheist I would have taken my time to redefine it for myself then looked for a partner who would agree with me. That process could take some time in this our neck of the woods where people aren't so open about their lack of belief in deities. Also many atheists decide that the concept of marriage is not really something they want to trouble with and would just prefer to have a romantic partner without the usual ceremony that comes with getting married.

Let me also add that I would have experimented with other forms of union if I was unmarried just to see what best suits me.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Hashabiah: 1:36pm On Dec 19, 2021
Atheists have no moral standards of right and wrong ; good and evil; love or hatred . And they believe that molecules and chemicals are responsible of whatever emotions we have so who will want to be married to such a person ... undecided
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by OtemAtum: 1:40pm On Dec 19, 2021
Atheism in Nigeria hasn't been very strong ten years back, so many atheists are new to atheism, so we can't start talking about a topic like this. If we say why are Deeper Lifers single, then that is good topic because Deeper Life has begun for over 40 years.

I think this topic should be reopened in the next 15 to 20 years instead of right now, especially not in this recession period in Nigeria when the prices of things have gone haywire and many men are already considering getting married as surplus to requirement.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by yanabasee2: 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2021
Atheist was designed to challenge Christianity alone.....

If them born any Atheist well... Make e go North go talk nonsense....

No sane girl wants to mingle with a set of people who disbelieve in the existence of God.....

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by ReacherSaidNoth: 2:33pm On Dec 19, 2021
There's a lot of stupid in this thread.

The statement "god is love" is not a fact. Now assuming you are referring to Yahweh the Christian god, you are most definitely wrong. How can a character who is jealous, petty, vindictive and bloodthirsty be anything but the opposite of love?

The idea that a person who has no belief in faulty man-made ideas of god, automatically lacks the ability to express love, is nothing but a display of humongous ignorance.

I'm sure you have heard of the fellow Bill Gates, a non-believer whose contributions to Nigeria, a very religious country, helped her to rid herself of the problem of polio.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 19, 2021
ReacherSaidNoth:
There's a lot of stupid in this thread.

The statement "god is love" is not a fact. Now assuming you are referring to Yahweh the Christian god, you are most definitely wrong. How can a character who is jealous, petty, vindictive and bloodthirsty be anything but the opposite of love?

The idea that a person who has no belief in faulty man-made ideas of god, automatically lacks the ability to express love, is nothing but a display of humongous ignorance.

I'm sure you have heard of the fellow Bill Gates, a non-believer whose contributions to Nigeria, a very religious country, helped her to rid herself of the problem of polio.
Is Bill gates atheist or agnostic? Well he was married and he got divorced same with Elon. Christianity teaches love at all times, respect,self control, forgiveness and tolerance. An atheist that exhibits these traits must have been raised a Christian don't you think?
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2021
LordReed:

I think most are unmarried because they have to rethink what the concept of marriage means without any religious ideas as the basis. It is not an easy thing to do. If I was unmarried when I became an atheist I would have taken my time to redefine it for myself then looked for a partner who would agree with me. That process could take some time in this our neck of the woods where people aren't so open about their lack of belief in deities. Also many atheists decide that the concept of marriage is not really something they want to trouble with and would just prefer to have a romantic partner without the usual ceremony that comes with getting married.

Let me also add that I would have experimented with other forms of union if I was unmarried just to see what best suits me.
Ok thanks I love this answer of yours. You could have done things differently if you had been an atheist at an earlier age but you still love the woman you married even if there's now a contrast in belief. You are still tolerant, loving, provide, and taking her views into consideration most time. Don't you think your Christian upbringing made you have these attributes and that's why you can still live peacefully with her. You know Bible stated that we should love our wives and a part said one that is unable to provide for his family is worse than an infidel. Don't you think that all these teachings have subtly registered in your subconscious that's why you can peacefully cohabit with her?
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by LordReed(m): 3:39pm On Dec 19, 2021
NewSoul:

Ok thanks I love this answer of yours. You could have done things differently if you had been an atheist at an earlier age but you still love the woman you married even if there's now a contrast in belief. You are still tolerant, loving, provide, and taking her views into consideration most time. Don't you think your Christian upbringing made you have these attributes and that's why you can still live peacefully with her. You know Bible stated that we should love our wives and a part said one that is unable to provide for his family is worse than an infidel. Don't you think that all these teachings have subtly registered in your subconscious that's why you can peacefully cohabit with her?

Sure some of my upbringing plays into the way I behave but I will argue that I would have arrived at some of them by rational thought just without any religious attachments or connotations.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by ReacherSaidNoth: 4:12pm On Dec 19, 2021
NewSoul:

Christianity teaches love at all times, respect,self control, forgiveness and tolerance.
Indeed...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by yomi007k(m): 6:01pm On Dec 19, 2021
Well , I am not an Atheist but a Gnostic.

Atheist probably believe that the whole concept of marriage and religion are shackles that tie them down.

But the world is getting wiser with time.
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by hopefulLandlord: 7:01pm On Dec 20, 2021
Did OP run a poll on the marital status of atheists before coming to the conclusion he based this thread on or he just made assumptions and based the thread on it? If he did, did he also take a poll on religious unmarried people of marriageable age and compare the difference in percentage compared to that of atheists?

"The only one I know who is married is LordReed" that proves how OP got the information he based this thread on. he heard Lordreed saying he's married and assumed any other atheist not talking about his/her marital status is definitely not married.

Intelligence is a burden OP doesn't bear. I'm jealous of that

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Ayinke93(f): 7:30pm On Dec 20, 2021
NewSoul:

Is Bill gates atheist or agnostic? Well he was married and he got divorced same with Elon. Christianity teaches love at all times, respect,self control, forgiveness and tolerance. An atheist that exhibits these traits must have been raised a Christian don't you think?

Omo! Religion makes people stupid sha. It’s hilarious

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 20, 2021
Ayinke93:

Omo! Religion makes people stupid sha. It’s hilarious
smiley You think so?
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by 1Sharon(f): 7:55pm On Dec 20, 2021
Where are your stats to confirm your point?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Dec 20, 2021
hopefulLandlord:
Did OP run a poll on the marital status of atheists before coming to the conclusion he based this thread on or he just made assumptions and based the thread on it? If he did, did he also take a poll on religious unmarried people of marriageable age and compare the difference in percentage compared to that of atheists?

"The only one I know who is married is LordReed" that proves how OP got the information he based this thread on. he heard Lordreed saying he's married and assumed any other atheist not talking about his/her marital status is definitely not married.

Intelligence is a burden OP doesn't bear. I'm jealous of that
Lol I follow most of you there's no how a married person won't refer to their marriage in at least one post hanhan. You can always decipher that if you keep following their post. Moreover I didn't claim to be intelligent. If I gather 30 of you prominent adult atheist here on nairaland maximum that will be married should be like 3. Stop forging ignorance you know exactly what I'm talking about undecided and LordReed has given a reasonable answer to my question..
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 20, 2021
1Sharon:
Where are your stats to confirm your point?
You are part of my statistics actually. The other time it was Hard-mirror saying he was looking for an atheist like himself to settle down with. He confessed that all the theist he had as girlfriends were quite uncomfortable with him being an atheist. But he said it was difficult coming across a lady physically that admits she is atheist. This post I'm talking about is not a recent post o. Till today he's still unmarried. If he were a Christian I'm sure he would have long been married same with most of you here but the thought of marrying a theist doesn't sit well with most of you.
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by hopefulLandlord: 8:59pm On Dec 20, 2021
NewSoul:

Lol I follow most of you
you are following 2 people and they're both theists

there's no how a married person won't refer to their marriage in at least one post hanhan. You can always decipher that if you keep following their post. Moreover I didn't claim to be intelligent.
There are people who would be reticent of such info and avoid divulging personal things online out of privacy and atheists might have an extra reason to do that to avoid being known offline. I know an atheist here years ago who created a profile with his real name and talked about how his father is a head pastor in a particular church. He later realised his mistake and created another profile bereft of personal information and avoid saying anything personal no matter what. Even Seun, the owner of nairaland, keeps private information to himself. we don't know if he's married, has kids and he's barely uploaded 5 of his pics.
If I gather 30 of you prominent adult atheist here on nairaland maximum that will be married should be like 3. Stop forging ignorance you know exactly what I'm talking about undecided
so you're saying around 10% of nairaland atheists are married, right? I'm charitable enough to accept that but here's the mistake you're making. You haven't even tried to do the same for the religious. If you do that you might be shocked to know they might be even less than 10% that are married. maybe you would then be creating one for theists but I assume you'd just ignore the data if that were the case. won't you?

and LordReed has given a reasonable answer to my question..
because he didn't question the premise on which you created this thread, something he should've done

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by hopefulLandlord: 9:15pm On Dec 20, 2021
kristonium:
Do we still have atheist in this Nigeria?

Fortunately, we do

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by LordReed(m): 6:55am On Dec 21, 2021
hopefulLandlord:

because he didn't question the premise on which you created this thread, something he should've done

Because I have looked at actual statistics and it does seem like atheists are less likely to be married.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by frank317: 7:11am On Dec 21, 2021
I am married...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by hopefulLandlord: 7:27am On Dec 21, 2021
LordReed:

Because I have looked at actual statistics and it does seem like atheists are less likely to be married.

Was it nairaland statistics you looked at or worldwide statistics? because OP is referring to nairaland atheists

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:00am On Dec 21, 2021
MOST?
YOU JUST PULL OUT DATA FROM NOWHERE AND TRY TO ESTABLISH IT AS FACTS?

ATHEISTS ARE PEOPLE. THEY DO EVERYTHING AS NORMAL PEOPLE BELONGING TO THE HUMAN RACE. ONLY THING IS THAT WHILE MOST RELIGIONISTS BELIEVE IN AT LEAST ONE GOD/DEITY, AN ATHEIST BELIEVES IN NONE.

ATHEISTS ARE IN RELATIONSHIPS AND MARRIAGES JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. EITHER WITH FELLOW ATHEISTS OR BELIEVERS. SOMETIMES THEY PLAY ALONG WITH THEIR BELIEVER PARTNERS AND DO RELIGIOUS THINGS TO KEEP THEIR UNIONS GOING. OTHER TIMES THEY REMAIN UNBELIEVING AND COEXIST PEACEFULLY WITH THEIR RELIGIOUS FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

YOUR THREAD IS A$$.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by LordReed(m): 10:40am On Dec 21, 2021
hopefulLandlord:

Was it nairaland statistics you looked at or worldwide statistics? because OP is referring to nairaland atheists

Worldwide I think it was but might have been US based I can't recall.
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by frank317: 10:49am On Dec 21, 2021
LordReed:

I am not sure I agree with this....

possess these qualities: good job, relatable, good looking and u will get married if u are interested. many ladies say God fearing man is a criteria but, like god that quality is a mirage and never seen

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Amatarasha(f): 10:50am On Dec 21, 2021
Lordreed isnt an original atheist but African atheist who shout blood of Jesus sighting mere cockroaches at night!
Who takes him serious

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 21, 2021
Amatarasha:
Lordreed isnt an original atheist but African atheist who shout blood of Jesus sighting mere cockroaches at night!
Who takes him serious
Very funny
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by Amatarasha(f): 11:30am On Dec 21, 2021
NewSoul:

Very funny
Real atheist with conscience don't just rush into marriages with empty pockets like foolish Christians, just to bring an innocent souls who will come to earth to suffer your sexual consequences on the bed before their births.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by LordReed(m): 1:03pm On Dec 21, 2021
frank317:

I am not sure I agree with this....

possess these qualities: good job, relatable, good looking and u will get married if u are interested. many ladies say God fearing man is a criteria but, like god that quality is a mirage and never seen

I would say it's not really about people not wanting the atheist but of the atheist being less likely to want marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by LordReed(m): 1:04pm On Dec 21, 2021
Amatarasha:
Who takes him serious

[img]https://c./Qi5QCoA8CiUAAAAC/cardi-b-turnt.gif[/img]
Re: Why Are Most Atheist Single? by kimco(m): 1:14pm On Dec 21, 2021
NewSoul:

My brother! If you think Atheists are incapable of love because love is a religious thing, then I would plead with you greatly to go on an expedition to find out the truth. Most atheist actually want equality without the barrier of religion and tribalism. Most Atheists are humanists. You don't need to be an atheist to be a humanist but in religion that becomes a bit difficult and hypocritic.

An example would be hating homosexuals. That would be in accordance to the bible and any christian who says otherwise is a hypocrite. If you want to show love to the lgbtq+ then you must discard your christian belief otherwise you must live with the idea that you are a hypocrite and not a true christian.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is That Cross Or Pole So Important To Christians / Must One Be A Worker In Church Before One Can Serve God Effectively / Seun Osewa Has Never Been partial To Anyone On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.