Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,644 members, 7,820,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order (8000 Views)

DSS: Fayose Rewards Ekiti Assembly Member For ‘loyalty’-the Tribune / Fayose Attacks APC Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Tribune(pic / Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by olabukola: 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2011
dayokanu:

Mrs HIV Awolowo and family invited the attacks on the name and they should deal with it.
Ohh no no, This is way of the mark boi. How dear u call mama HIV patient.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by tpia5: 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2011
too bad everything can be bought with money nowadays.

really dealt a bad blow to integrity, standards and ethics.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by ektbear: 6:15pm On Jun 15, 2011
I really do not get the beef folks have with this guy.

Makes no sense
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Ystranger: 6:17pm On Jun 15, 2011
tpia@:

too bad everything can be bought with money nowadays.

really dealt a bad blow to integrity, standards and ethics.

That is the state of affairs unfortunately. No wonder every one is Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-ing

Asiwaju Awon Omo yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo grin
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2011
olabukola:

Ohh no no, This is way of the mark boi. How dear u call mama HIV patient.

Dayokanu's hatred of all things Awolowo is legendary on Nairaland. His politics is hereditary.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by dayokanu(m): 6:26pm On Jun 15, 2011
ziddy:

Dayokanu's hatred of all things Awolowo is legendary on Nairaland. His politics is hereditary.

Maybe if we can go more into objectivity and not sensationalism.

Tribune which is Awolowos newspaper attacked Tinubu first YES or No?

Does The nation which is Tinubu's paper have a right to respond to attacks? Yes or No

Maybe we can take it from there
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by tpia5: 6:28pm On Jun 15, 2011
please we dont need a repeat of the war between akintola and awolowo from the 50s or was it 60s.

let sleeping dogs lie.

omatseye could have written his article in a more professional manner.

the quality of what he wrote leaves much to be desired.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by LadyT(f): 6:29pm On Jun 15, 2011
Dayo who cares it's not like Tinubu actually did anything while he was a gov in Lagos 8 wasted years he doesn't deserve respect IMO. Didn't he make sure before he left office he would continue to be paid gov salary and receive all perks
angry
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jun 15, 2011
@Dayokanu,making reference to mama HID as Hiv is disrespectful and highly uncalled for.I strongly feel the old woman should be left out of the inordinate battle of some dubious politicians to control the political machinery of the south-west.

I can confidently tell you that all the newspapers in Nigeria have politicians as patrons,as such most of them have become the megaphone of these politicians.

What you are accusing tribune of doing has been done several times by the nation newspaper,so why pick on an old woman.

As for that idiot,that said mama HID has shamelessly refused to die,i can only say  to you "destruction befalls arrogance and crass disrespect for elders"
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by aribisala0(m): 6:30pm On Jun 15, 2011
dayokanu:

Maybe if we can go more into objectivity and not sensationalism.

Tribune which is Awolowos newspaper attacked Tinubu first YES or No?

Does The nation which is Tinubu's paper have a right to respond to attacks? Yes or No

Maybe we can take it from there

depends on tinubu's long term objectives
is this helpful to any coherent strategy or a distraction?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by aribisala0(m): 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2011
LadyT:

Dayo who cares it's not like Tinubu actually did anything while he was a gov in Lagos 8 wasted years he doesn't deserve respect IMO. Didn't he make sure before he left office he would continue to be paid gov salary and receive all perks
angry

iya
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by dayokanu(m): 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2011
LadyT:

angry

So Tinubu not doing anything now justifies him being called a felon and B@5tard? Well the Tribune Awolowos mouthpiece called him that. Does he havea right to respond? Yes and he did

Now why are the Awolwos now crying over an attack you initiated?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by dayokanu(m): 6:35pm On Jun 15, 2011
Priceworth:

@Dayokanu,making reference to mama HID as Hiv is disrespectful and highly uncalled for.I strongly feel the old woman should be left out of the inordinate battle of some dubious politicians to control the political machinery of the south-west.

I can confidently tell you that all the newspapers in Nigeria have politicians as patrons,as such most of them have become the megaphone of these politicians.

What you are accusing tribune of doing has been done several times by the nation newspaper,so why pick on an old woman.

As for that ,that said mama HID has shamelessly refused to die,i can only say to you "destruction befalls arrogance and crass disrespect for elders"

Who is the patron of the tribune? Awolowo, Who is the head of the Awolowo family? If The Tinubu name can be attacked by the Awolowos mouthpiece, Why is the reverse now sacrilegious?

Show me anywhere the Nation has attacked the person of the owner of Tribune before the Omatseyes response.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by MaiSuya(m): 6:37pm On Jun 15, 2011
footreja:

Tribune and The Nation newspapers have dragged journalism into the mud in recent times. So what happens when The Nation newspaper publish sensitive news reports and addressing it  "by our reporters". Reporters without names?. How i wish they close down both media houses. They are partisan.

I beg to disagree Sir! As an ardent reader of The Nation, I'm yet to see the kind sustained onslaught against the Awolowos, in the manner Tribune has been going after Tinubu.

BTW what do you mean by 'sensitive news stories'?

While I agree The Nation has never hidden its disdain for the ruling party, it has maintained an admirable level of professionalism in its reportage. The same can definitely not be said for the Tribune
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Lagosboy: 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2011
I dont understand how anyone will demonise a 95 year old woman in this manner, more importanantly the wife of Awo who is older than Tinubus grand mother even.  I am not a freat Awolowo fan but this attack on the Awo family is needless all because they associate with PDP. Only if folks know how the celeberated ACN saints wine and dine with PDP guys behind closed doors you will realise 95% of Nigerians are just puns in a game of chess.

Sun¨: Orji Kalu
Nation : Tinubu
Compass : OGD
Thisday : PDP stooge
Tribune : Awo
Punch : possibly neutral
Vanguard: PDP outlet
Independent: Ibori

Almost every paper has an agenda and let the truth be told the SW media editors are all on Tinubus payroll and he has trmenduous influence over them. Ever wonder why it is only papers that dont favor Tinubu he tries to demonise. Thisday(I dont liek the paper) is demonised everyday by Tinub and his boys. Fashol in 2007 returned an award all because thisday criticised Bola Tinubu. Magazines like The news and PM news are an extention of Tinubus empire, little wonder why Babafemi Ojudu was rewarded with the ACN senatorial contest he did not win.

Let the truth be told the local media in Nigeria all serve someones agenda with the exception of maybe Next newspapers and probably leadership.

The other day the Nation reported that Akala fled Nigeria after handover while Akala was in Ogbomoso.  

The Nigeria media is as compromised as our police force and gone are the days of objective and independent news analysis.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2011
@Dayokanu,you have to understand that tribune as it is today aligns itself with the folks in PDP,while the nation newspaper is the megaphone of tinubu and the AC.While the PDP reigned supreme in the southwest,the nation newspaper was consistently used to sway public opinion against them,malign their character and downplay some of the achievement recorded by their adminstration.Now the AC controls the southwest and tinubu is the leader of the AC.Tell me why wont tribune malign his character,knowing fully well that he is as dubious as those he has consistently criticised of corruption?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by hercules07: 6:47pm On Jun 15, 2011
Dayo is on point with this one, he might not like the Awolowos ( I do not particularly like Akintola's politics) but the truth must be told, as I have always said, we respect their baba (Chief Jeremiah Awolowo), every other person must earn our respect, Tinubu has behaved admirably, he has explained himself to Mrs. HID Awolowo, she should call her dogs of war to order, I am ashamed that the Awolowo family is on the side of PDP, those who have brought the SW to its knees.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by aribisala0(m): 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2011
leaving right or wrong to one side.

this is not helpful to tinubu rather a waste of resources
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 6:57pm On Jun 15, 2011
tpia@:

please we dont need a repeat of the war between akintola and awolowo from the 50s or was it 60s.

let sleeping dogs lie.

omatseye could have written his article in a more professional manner.

the quality of what he wrote leaves much to be desired.

At the same time, what was professional about the tribune and the Awo family attacking Tinubu endlessly and calling him derogatory names for over a year now including calling him a felon when we all know he's yet to spend a second in jail?

Who gave them the right and privilege to attack and insult other people? Is it because of the Awolowo name?

Or is just the fact that their name is Awolowo doesn't give them the right to needlessly attack people, pick fight and destabilize  the whole region on behalf of the PDP?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by dayokanu(m): 6:58pm On Jun 15, 2011
Lagosboy:

I dont understand how anyone will demonise a 95 year old woman in this manner, more importanantly the wife of Awo who is older than Tinubus grand mother even.  I am not a freat Awolowo fan but this attack on the Awo family is needless all because they associate with PDP.

Do you have a problem with someone demonising the name of Tinubu in the manner the tribune has always done?

Does Tinubu have a right to respond to such attacks in a like manner?

And dont be economical with the truth, When Tinubu was endlessly attacked by the Awolowos Tribune how come people dont have a problem with that

Nigba ti esinsin n je elegbo ko si eni ti o soro, When the fly was biting the sore no one complained.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by hercules07: 7:00pm On Jun 15, 2011
Dayo and Eko, we know that it is the hand of Jacob but the voice of Esau, all of this noise making is being fueled by the PDP, it is galling that the family and Obasanjo are even in the same party, the old man must be seething wherever he is now.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Ystranger: 7:06pm On Jun 15, 2011
hercules07:

Dayo is on point with this one, he might not like the Awolowos ( I do not particularly like Akintola's politics) but the truth must be told, as I have always said, we respect their baba (Chief Jeremiah Awolowo), every other person must earn our respect, Tinubu has behaved admirably, he has explained himself to Mrs. HID Awolowo, she should call her dogs of war to order, I am ashamed that the Awolowo family is on the side of PDP, those who have brought the SW to its knees.

Well, you choose what to be ashamed of. If I were you, i'd be ashamed of my father too. But Thank God, I am not you. The Awolowo family have every right to associate with whomever. For crying out loud, HID Awolowo is the Yeye Oodua Of Yorubaland, not Yeye Oodua Of Asiwaju Awon omo ole and ACN. She is for all and it would be illogical to expect her to be for ACN Yorubas alone. After all, there are Awoists in PDP, DPA, AD, LP et al

That said, instead of spending your time being ashamed of someone else's father/family, why not work on yourself so your father may be proud of you. Let Awolowo family decide how they want to continue their father's legacy.

Abi, can you be more catholic than the pope? Be more Muslim than the Arabs? Be more democratic than the Greeks?

Let everyone answer to their father's name. If Awolowo were to be alive today, he probably would have joined PDP, so whats the fuss about. They allowed ACN hijacked the name, still that is not enough. What do you want gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by emmatok(m): 7:07pm On Jun 15, 2011
dayokanu:

So Tinubu not doing anything now justifies him being called a felon and B@5tard? Well the Tribune Awolowos mouthpiece called him that. Does he havea right to respond? Yes and he did

Now why are the Awolwos now crying over an attack you initiated?

Tribune is not the fisrt media outlet to call Tinubu felon and B@5tard, and it will not be the last.

So why not attack Tribune instead. And leave the AWO family alone.

“So, how can I possibly be behind the opinion of a columnist, simply because he writes for a newspaper, which I am associated with?” the former governor explained.
He said even, Papa Awolowo, publisher of the Tribune while alive, always told people that he read articles in the Tribune, like other readers, since the paper had its editorial policy.

“The sage, Chief Awolowo himself used to say that he read articles in the Tribune like any other reader, despite that he was the publisher. The same principle applies here,” he explained.
From Tinubu.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by LadyT(f): 7:07pm On Jun 15, 2011
Baba@ aribisala!

People talking about tinubu like he's some saint. Oba area boys
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Ystranger: 7:09pm On Jun 15, 2011
LadyT:

Baba@ aribisala!

People talking about tinubu like he's some saint. Oba area boys

tell them !
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by dayokanu(m): 7:09pm On Jun 15, 2011
Priceworth:

@Dayokanu,you have to understand that tribune as it is today aligns itself with the folks in PDP,while the nation newspaper is the megaphone of tinubu and the AC.While the PDP reigned supreme in the southwest,the nation newspaper was consistently used to sway public opinion against them,malign their character and downplay some of the achievement recorded by their adminstration.Now the AC controls the southwest and tinubu is the leader of the AC.Tell me why wont tribune malign his character,knowing fully well that he is as dubious as those he has consistently criticised of corruption?

If its okay for tribune to malign Tinubus Character, Is it now wrong for Tinubu to reply Tribunes paymasters in like manner?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by dayokanu(m): 7:13pm On Jun 15, 2011
emmatok:

Tribune is not the fisrt media outlet to call Tinubu felon and B@5tard, and it will not be the last.

Well Tinubu chose to respond to the tribune specifically. Many ppl have been calling you names and you choose to respond to one of them Now you are asking why ? Whats the logic?

Tribune attacked Tinubu, The Nation attacked Awolowo. So I guess its equal and balanced, Now why is Tribune/Awolowo now the ones moaning?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 7:14pm On Jun 15, 2011
emmatok:

From Tinubu.

Going by your analogy, why not attack the nation and leave Tinubu alone?

I also need you to show us the other media outlets calling Tinubu a felon.

Do not spew what you can not prove.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by tony451: 7:15pm On Jun 15, 2011
Before responding to this topic I would just say that I am Yoruba and I have a huge amount of respect for Baba Awolowo. However, he has been betrayed and disgraced by the family he left behind. HID is not a politician. She should be an elder statesperson who holds the interests of her own people dearer than anything else. Yes ACN are not angels, however we can all see that what they've done so far has been for the benefit of the Yoruba nation. PDP on the other hand has not only given yoruba people corrupt governors and leaders, the leadership they have shown so far has threatened to drag us back into the stone age. For someone like HID to be hobnobbing with Akala, OGD, Oni and co is a huge slap in the face of not only the yoruba people, but her husband as well. For this alone she deserves the ire of the people not their blessings. If you see someone is befriending your worst enemy you don't go over and give that person a pat on the back. you call that person to order no matter how old the person is. If the Awolowo family know what is good for them they better stop relying on their father's name to give  them respect in yorubaland and start earning that respect through their actions.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by ektbear: 7:16pm On Jun 15, 2011
I don't understand this habit of falsely calling people felons. If that happened here, you could get sued for libel/slander/defamation or something.

Tinubu probably is not a "b@stard" either.

In general, Nigerian media is pretty uncouth, I must say.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jun 15, 2011
tony_450:

Before responding to this topic I would just say that I am Yoruba and I have a huge amount of respect for Baba Awolowo. However, he has been betrayed and disgraced by the family he left behind. HID is not a politician. She should be an elder statesperson who holds the interests of her own people dearer than anything else. Yes ACN are not angels, however we can all see that what they've done so far has been for the benefit of the Yoruba nation. PDP on the other hand has not only given yoruba people corrupt governors and leaders, the leadership they have shown so far has threatened to drag us back into the stone age. For someone like HID to be hobnobbing with Akala, OGD, Oni and co is a huge slap in the face of not only the yoruba people, but her husband as well. For this alone she deserves the ire of the people not their blessings. If you see someone is befriending your worst enemy you don't go over and give that person a pat on the back. you call that person to order no matter how old the person is. If the Awolowo family know what is good for them they better stop relying on their father's name to give  them respect in yorubaland and start earning that respect through their actions.

Gbam!!!
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by hercules07: 7:19pm On Jun 15, 2011
@Ystranger

Mo mo pe o gba home training na so I am not surprised at your choice of words, when you have placed a family at a high pedestal and for them to be rolling with those who have ruined us as a people leaves a bitter taste, mo mon pe o ni itiju, hopefully one day your parents will be proud of you as mine are proud of me, maybe when u show the little home training ti won fun e, won a le toka si e pe u are their son, akogba ti ise abiko,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Group To Name A Multi-Million-Naira Edifice Okonjo-Iweala. / Buhari's Picture Surfaces Online - Pic / Pls Help Before Access Bank Send Me To Jail.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.