Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,365 members, 7,826,432 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order (8004 Views)

DSS: Fayose Rewards Ekiti Assembly Member For ‘loyalty’-the Tribune / Fayose Attacks APC Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Tribune(pic / Jerry Rawlings Blasts Premium Times Over 'irresponsible' Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by emmatok(m): 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

What heat? Dude is not only not taking back what he wrote, he's telling you point black that you do not know how to read, comprehend and reason.

My friend go and sit down.

Sam Omatseye has cleared him-self you can continue banging ya keyboard if you like.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 9:18pm On Jun 15, 2011
jerseyboy:

By trying to be slick? Slicky Sam.

What's so slick about what he wrote? He expressed himself point blank without hiding behind any family name or legacy unlike some omo oju o r'ola ri.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2011
emmatok:

My friend go and sit down.

Sam Omatseye has cleared him-self you can continue bang ya keyboard if you like.

Sorry, I don't do trolls, run along and look for a willing back and forth partner. You are yet to make any sane and rational point in this thread? You dum'b ass don't even know the meaning of FELON for crying out loud. How old are you gan sef?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by emmatok(m): 9:20pm On Jun 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

Sorry, I don't do trolls, run along and look for a willing back and forth partner.

Who care about your trolls.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 9:32pm On Jun 15, 2011
emmatok:

Who care about your trolls.

Is it by force? I said I'm not interested in your trolling routine.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 15, 2011
I wrote once that this woman whom Awo once described as the jewel of inestimable value has lost value to his cause. If he came back to life, he would have committed the extraordinary act of divorce after death.

Sam Omatseye

HID is 96 years old.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 9:55pm On Jun 15, 2011
jerseyboy:

Sam Omatseye

HID is 96 years old.

And according to Yoruba people
Agba ti ko shebi aggalagba, won ma fi wo le ni/The adult that doesn't act like an adult shall be dragged on the floor.

Who is the adult supervising the Tribune? HID?re

Who is the head of the tribune? HID

Who hired and is paying the tribune writers to attack and insult Yoruba people? HID

So, what's your point?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Ystranger: 9:58pm On Jun 15, 2011
Awodi ( Tinubu) n fo so ke la la, olohun fe mo Oluwa

Awodi (Tunubu) n fo so ke la la, olohun fe mo Oluwa

Ibi ti (Tinubu) yio fo de lemi ko m

Ibi ti ( Tinubu) yio fo de lemi ko mo 0

Tinubu fe se eleya ni, aye e ma ba wi

Tinubu[b] fe se eleya n[/b]i, e ma ba wi
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 10:00pm On Jun 15, 2011
unclothed Truth: “Awo Stood For People-Oriented Govt., While His Family Aligned With Tyrannical Kleptomaniac Govt Foisted On The South West By Obasanjo”

—Abdrazzaq Durojaiye

unclothed Truth: “Awo Stood For People-Oriented Govt., While His Family Aligned With Tyrannical Kleptomaniac Govt Foisted On The South West By Obasanjo”

—Abdrazzaq Durojaiye

According to a respected commentator on Nigeria and international politics, Abdrazzaq Durojaiye, remarked that the write-up by Mr. Omatseye, was truthful, what he called the “absolute truth if you read it with an open mind”.

Read full text commentary by Mr. Durojaiye beneath,

“This write up is the absolute truth if read it with an open mind. Awo’s legacy was rubbished by his family and establishment he left behind. Awo stood for people-oriented govt. while his family aligned with tyrannical kleptomaniac govt foisted on the south west by Obasanjo. Tribune was far away from Awo’s ideology.

Adding, “All those using this article to attack Tinubu are doing so out of envy as Yoruba will say ija ilara ko tan boro. Where were they when they fell for Obasanjo gimmick and lost their relevance. They are embittered with Tinubu’s group ascendance to prominence

“This is time to retrospect, Awo’s family need to align with the people Awo fought for all his life, there is no excuse for them, if they are not ready to align they will further be rubbished. As for those who want to take pound of flesh from Tinubu for sins he imaginarily committed by not been gullible like them, they will succeed only when Tinubu abandon emancipation of the people and functional result-oriented govt., for his people and Nigeria. I am not a fan of Tinubu but he deserves commendation for his political sagacity.

“Tinubu should not be discouraged by the numerous attacks on his person, rather he should make ACN perform, make their govt accountable to the people, and ensure party discipline and unity among all elders and youths of the party irrespective of tribes or religion.

“Most times, truth is always bitter; telling mama Awo the truth won’t diminish her eminence, rather rejecting the truth will do more damages to Awolowo family’s reputations.

Awo’s legacies endure forever.

http://www.republicreport.com/%E2%80%9Cawo-stood-for-people-oriented-govt-while-his-family-aligned-with-tyrannical-kleptomaniac-govt-foisted-on-the-south-west-by-obasanjo%E2%80%9D%E2%80%94abdrazzaq-durojaiye/
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 15, 2011
Awolowo and Tinubu.
I cannot picture Awo being  buddy buddy with Tinubu if he were alive today.  Parallel universe. This probably explains why none of the remaining core Awoist (Jakande etc) can be said to be close to Tinubu. That said Tinubu is not the worst affliction in Nigerian politics today.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by AlabaSlim: 10:51pm On Jun 15, 2011
Tinubu kiafool o
una yoruba politicos go use awo name kontes elektion den kon hinsalt d name again na wa
as nwaifo as i b if i kontes 4 lag wit awo name i go win 99.8% votes cos d fulls go sorpot mi 1ce den hear awo awo gan ni
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by ektbear: 10:52pm On Jun 15, 2011
Of what relevance is whether Awo would be buddy buddy with Tinubu or not today?  undecided Is Awo Jesus Christ?

Do you all worship the man, or something? So there is no one who will ever be effective in Yorubaland now or for the next 1000 years, unless they align exactly with what Awo said or believed in? There is only one way to skin the Nigerian cat, and this is copying Awolowo blindly?  undecided

Are the challenges of the 50s and 60s EXACTLY what we face today?

Who cares whether the Awoists are close to Tinubu or not? undecided

We spend too much time living in the past and engaging in romanticism.

Are Tinubu and the ACN an effective way to achieve certain goals, yes or no? If no, what would you like to replace them with? If you want to destroy a very effective tool that we have, then kindly suggest something better to replace it with.

Otoh, if you like me think that the current tool has value, should be kept and improved rather then discarded, then suggest concrete ways to do this.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 11:05pm On Jun 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Of what relevance is whether Awo would be buddy buddy with Tinubu or not today?  undecided Is Awo Jesus Christ?

Do you all worship the man, or something? So there is no one who will ever be effective in Yorubaland now or for the next 1000 years, unless they align exactly with what Awo said or believed in? There is only one way to skin the Nigerian cat, and this is copying Awolowo blindly?  undecided

Are Tinubu and the ACN an effective way to achieve certain goals, yes or no? If no, what would you like to replace them with? If you want to destroy a very effective tool that we have, then kindly suggest something better to replace it with.

Otoh, if you like me think that the current tool has value, should be kept and improved rather then discarded, then suggest concrete ways to do this.

God Bless you.

Obviously, they think we buried our future and every about us with Awolowo . I's like we are nothing and we can not achieve any without a dead man.

That name is sounding like a damn monkey on our backs, it has zero relevance beyond history. We are going to have greater leaders and we are going to build on and advance way better than we did under Awo.

You complain when you're losing, you complain when you're winning. Obviously, all these silly attacks and spites against Tinubu serves only one purpose which is to take him down and drag us back, I think Yoruba people need to rally around Tinubu and not leave him exposed to outside forces trying to reverse our gains and advancement. We've sacrificed too many Yoruba leaders because of silly and petty rivalries and shortsightedness jealousy. 

It's really disgusting
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by ektbear: 11:39pm On Jun 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

Obviously, all these silly attacks and spites against Tinubu serves only one purpose which is to take him down and drag us back, I think Yoruba people need to rally around Tinubu and not leave him exposed to outside forces trying to reverse our gains and advancement. We've sacrificed too many Yoruba leaders because of silly and petty rivalries and shortsightedness jealousy. 

It's really disgusting 
+1

If you don't like Tinubu, hold him accountable and be a watchdog. Help to improve him, don't destroy him. Now if he later down the line goes power mad or uncontrollable, sure, then take him down. But I don't think he is at that point.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by tpia5: 11:42pm On Jun 15, 2011
ok, what we need to see now is development in other parts of the southwest IN ADDITION TO lagos.

anybody trying to drag us back into the stone age and reverse the gains of previous years, na im life go reverse into pre-stone age!!!!!!
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by dayokanu(m): 11:49pm On Jun 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

God Bless you.

Obviously, they think we buried our future and every about us with. I's like we are nothing and we can not achieve any without a dead man.

That name is sounding like a damn monkey on our backs, it has zero relevance beyond history. We are going to have greater leaders and we are going to build on and advance way better than we did under Awo.

You complain when you're losing, you complain when you're winning. Obviously, all these silly attacks and spites against Tinubu serves only one purpose which is to take him down and drag us back, I think Yoruba people need to rally around Tinubu and not leave him exposed to outside forces trying to reverse our gains and advancement. We've sacrificed too many Yoruba leaders because of silly and petty rivalries and shortsightedness jealousy.

It's really disgusting

Ask where are the Magic name Awo supporters in AD and DPA faring? Most cant even win in the living room.

The electorates are tired of them

When the so called Awoists are bending down to OBJ all over the place it was Tinubu who stood up to them

Instead of facing up to their betrayal of Yoruba people they are blaming Tinubu for their short sightedness and Greed which took them to the band wagon of OBJ, Adedibu, Akala etc
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by tony451: 12:11am On Jun 16, 2011
If mama is 96 yrs old then she should behave like an elder. I can't believe how someone can compare Awo cooperating with his opponents on critical issues with the Awolowo family lending the legitimacy of the family name to thieves and looters in our midst! Take Akala in my native Oyo State for example. The man is the worst kleptomaniac and none performer you would ever see in your life. He collaborated with Adedibu to share Oyo State money, appoint cronies and leave Ibadan, my city of origin, one of the worst places to live in Nigeria. He has absolutely no political ideology and only bothers about his pocket. That sort of man does not have opponents because he disagrees with them. He has opponents because he wants to be the one at the centre with the opportunity to steal money. Yet a whole HID would count him as her friend?!!!!! You cannot say that that type of padi-padi is about collaboration with opponents because the only thing to oppose with the PDP governors is their kleptomania and sticky fingers. No development at all. I absolutely refuse to believe that Awo would have been friends with them.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by iiiyyyk(m): 12:23am On Jun 16, 2011
TRIBUNE IS THE WOOOOORST NEWS PAPER ON EARTH.

I DOUBT IF THEY EVER RESEARCH BEFORE PUBLISHING-
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Ystranger: 12:39am On Jun 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

Of what relevance is whether Awo would be buddy buddy with Tinubu or not today? 

Your post is full of contradictions. Grave ones.  Well, history repeats itself and if we dont know our history, we are bound to repeat the mistakes of the past. There is a reason Americans reference their founding fathers? They try to live up to the expectations of their founding fathers. Think about it.

undecided Is Awo Jesus Christ?

No of course, But I think, the right question is: Is Jesus Christ Awo? And if I may add, of what relevance is whether Awo is Jesus or not?

Do you all worship the man, or something?

You dont? And you want us to believe you are in-tune with your Yoruba-ness? is this a troll post or what?

So there is no one who will ever be effective in Yorubaland now or for the next 1000 years, unless they align exactly with what Awo said or believed in?

Did you mean: "So there is no one who will ever be effective in this world [/b]now or for the next 1000 years, unless they align exactly with what [b]Jesus [/b]said or believed in"

There is only one way to skin the Nigerian cat, and this is copying Awolowo blindly?  undecided

Well, if following Jesus Christ,[b] blindly
, is bad, then it would be bad for the Yoruba people to follow Awo, their elected leader and only Asaju of Yorubaland blindly.  "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father[b] except[/b] through me." You believe that crap and some how you find it absurd that we see Awo in the same light?

If its what you believe, it is fine. But whatever you disagree with is crazy? Is that what is going on here?

Yes. The cat hasnt changed. There are very few FUNDAMENTAL ways to skin the cat. You can compromise on everything else, but you cannot compromise on  basic fundamental principles.

Maybe you should ask Tinubu that. The dressing, the glasses, the ACN logo, the many billboards with Tinubu's image juxtaposed with Awo's and Jawaharlal Nehru, amongst others. Did that remind you of anything? And, BTW, Awolowo admired and met with Jawaharlal Nehru so many times. But never in his lifetime became obsessed with him to the point of erecting billboards in strategic places, in the SW, of his image juxtaposed with Jawaharlal Nehru's.

And, yes, we dont care, and no one cares really. But trust me, TINUBU cares. But you may not know, and I will not take offence with such blatant ignorance. After all, we are all ignorant of one thing or the other.

Living in the past? In what sense? We spend too much time learning about our history? You think learning about our history is TIME NOT WELL SPENT? You do know that every university in your beloved country, USA, has a History department? Are you suggesting that the time spent on reading, researching and analyzing the past could be better spent doing something else? Sarah Palin and Paul Revere hoopla isnt romanticism to you?But we talking about Awolowo is "Living in the past and engaging in romanticism."  You do know that learning by itself, irrespective of discipline, is to some extent "LIVING IN THE PAST."

Are Tinubu and the ACN an effective way to achieve certain goals, yes or no?

What goals are we talking about here? This where I think you are confusing things. I am not sure what goals you are referring to here?

If no, what would you like to replace them with?

Who is talking about replacing Tinubu? I think you have things mixed up.

If you want to destroy a very effective tool that we have, then kindly suggest something better to replace it with.

Why would anyone want to destroy Tinubu? What do you mean by we? Are you a card carrying member of ACN? And why do you think everyone here supports ACN? This has nothing to do with ACN? If Tinubu is an effective leader for ACN, well congrats to him. No one is out to bring him down. As a matter of fact, we wish him luck with his ambitions. And I am sure HID Awolowo, the[b] Yeye Oodua of Yorubaland[/b],and the rest of the Awo family, and real Awoists, want the best for him.

Okay. You are mixing so many things together. I dont know how you manage to bring ACN into all of this? Quite impressive of you though. Tinubu and his lap dog, Omatseye, insulted HID Awolowo, and I think thats what this is all about, No? Is there something else here that I am oblivious to?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 16, 2011
Tinubu’s trial: Tribunal members nominated

To be inaugurated next week

AT last, the two members needed for the Code of Conduct Tribunal to begin trial of cases sent to it by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) have been reportedly nominated, awaiting the approval of President Goodluck Jonathan.

A plethora of high-profile cases had been reportedly sent to the tribunal by the bureau, with the money-laundering and illegal operation of foreign accounts cases of former Lagos State governor, Senator Bola Tinubu, topping the list.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/23615-tinubus-trial-tribunal-members-nominated-to-be-inaugurated-next-week

Tinubu soon to be a felon. grin
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by tony451: 1:12am On Jun 16, 2011
Ystranger:

Your post is full of contradictions. Grave ones.  Well, history repeats itself and if we dont know our history, we are bound to repeat the mistakes of the past. There is a reason Americans reference their founding fathers? They try to live up to the expectations of their founding fathers. Think about it.

No of course, But I think, the right question is: Is Jesus Christ Awo? And if I may add, of what relevance is whether Awo is Jesus or not?

You dont? And you want us to believe you are in-tune with your Yoruba-ness? is this a troll post or what?

Did you mean: "So there is no one who will ever be effective in this world [/b]now or for the next 1000 years, unless they align exactly with what [b]Jesus [/b]said or believed in"

Well, if following Jesus Christ,[b] blindly
, is bad, then it would be bad for the Yoruba people to follow Awo, their elected leader and only Asaju of Yorubaland blindly.  "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father[b] except[/b] through me." You believe that crap and some how you find it absurd that we see Awo in the same light?

If its what you believe, it is fine. But whatever you disagree with is crazy? Is that what is going on here?

Yes. The cat hasnt changed. There are very few FUNDAMENTAL ways to skin the cat. You can compromise on everything else, but you cannot compromise on  basic fundamental principles.

Maybe you should ask Tinubu that. The dressing, the glasses, the ACN logo, the many billboards with Tinubu's image juxtaposed with Awo's and Jawaharlal Nehru, amongst others. Did that remind you of anything? And, BTW, Awolowo admired and met with Jawaharlal Nehru so many times. But never in his lifetime became obsessed with him to the point of erecting billboards in strategic places, in the SW, of his image juxtaposed with Jawaharlal Nehru's.

And, yes, we dont care, and no one cares really. But trust me, TINUBU cares. But you may not know, and I will not take offence with such blatant ignorance. After all, we are all ignorant of one thing or the other.

Living in the past? In what sense? We spend too much time learning about our history? You think learning about our history is TIME NOT WELL SPENT? You do know that every university in your beloved country, USA, has a History department? Are you suggesting that the time spent on reading, researching and analyzing the past could be better spent doing something else? Sarah Palin and Paul Revere hoopla isnt romanticism to you?But we talking about Awolowo is "Living in the past and engaging in romanticism."  You do know that learning by itself, irrespective of discipline, is to some extent "LIVING IN THE PAST."

What goals are we talking about here? This where I think you are confusing things. I am not sure what goals you are referring to here?

Why would anyone want to destroy Tinubu? What do you mean by we? Are you a card carrying member of ACN? And why do you think everyone here supports ACN? This has nothing to do with ACN? If Tinubu is an effective leader for ACN, well congrats to him. No one is out to bring him down. As a matter of fact, we wish him luck with his ambitions. And I am sure HID Awolowo, the[b] Yeye Oodua of Yorubaland[/b],and the rest of the Awo family, and real Awoists, want the best for him.

Okay. You are mixing so many things together. I dont know how you manage to bring ACN into all of this? Quite impressive of you though. Tinubu and his lap dog, Omatseye, insulted HID Awolowo, and I think thats what this is all about, No? Is there something else here that I am oblivious to?

Are you comparing Awolowo to Jesus Christ? Even with the massive respect I have for the man please this is beyond ridiculous.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by ektbear: 4:33am On Jun 16, 2011
Ystranger, I'm starting to think that I am misunderstanding your analogy. Surely you cannot mean "worship" in anything close to a religious sense. Because I've not ever met any of these sort of Yoruba in my life.

Great respect and admiration for, yes. But worship? There is a huge distance between the two, yes?

Ystranger:

One needs to then ask if Tinubu has violated these basic principles. If you are alleging that he has, then point out how he has screwed up specifically so we can deal with it.

Alright, Tinubu might care, but I don't.

Right. But at some point it becomes a disease, when one expects that the solutions for the next problem will come from the past. History is a nice thing to learn, but to use it as the rubric to judge decisions by subsequent leaders doesn't necessarily make sense. Which to me seems to be what we are doing.

Or what is the point of judging politician X on whether he is an "Awoist" or not? I've never even been a fan of such blanket terminology. . . of what use is "Awoist" or not if we have to analyze policy decision Y? It make have turned out that Awo would have said "yes" in the 50s through 70s on Decision Y, but now the correct answer is "no."

I think building a strong national party that leaves us less susceptible to power plays made by other groups is a good short-term (and long-term) political objective. I view it as a political goal to make strong alliances in other parts of the country with those we can work with. Especially in places like the MB and SS. I think it a worthy goal to greatly weaken the PDP. These to me seem to be very worthy tasks.

I view it as very important to grow the economy of the SW and increase the fraction of money generated through IGR in each of the states. I'm tired of being dependent on oil money from the SS. This seems to be a goal that the ACN shares, to some extent.

There are other matters, but these are just a few off the top of my head.

So what exactly is the point of this? It is meant as constructive criticism, or destructive one? My impression is that your goal is the latter rather than the former.

I'm not an ACN member, I just think that their interests and that of the SW largely overlap at this point in time.

Alright, maybe I misunderstood. I thought this was about something more than just this spat between newspapers.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by Ystranger: 5:50am On Jun 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

Ystranger, I'm starting to think that I am misunderstanding your analogy. Surely you cannot[b] mean "worship" in anything close to a religious sense[/b].

And what is wrong with that? My English teacher in secondary school was an Ogun worshiper. Ogun, by all accounts, was human, born of a woman. Soyinka, if I am not mistaken, worships one of the many Yoruba gods. Fela has a shrine. I draw no distinction between Jesus and Awo, especially when you look beyond the hyped up image of Jesus as presented in the Bible.  If you see nothing crazy about how a supposed VIRGIN gave birth to your saviour Jesus Christ, why is it shocking to you that I worship Awolowo.

You choose what to worship, and I think I should be able to do the same without fear of ridicule or be subjected to snide remarks

Alright, Tinubu might care, but I don't.

I thought this was about Tinubu, No? grin

Right. But at some point it becomes a disease, when one expects that the solutions for the next problem will come from the past.

Where do you get the inspiration from? You think Wastson discovered the secret of life from .     .      . where? And you think Tinubu would have been able to build a party that formidable without learning from Bola Ige?

History is a nice thing to learn, but to use it as the[b] rubric t[/b]o judge decisions by subsequent leaders doesn't necessarily make sense.

So what should we use? Judge them by what? I thought the past was meant to serve as standard, for future leaders to improve upon? We all agree that Awo did very well. His peers loved him, respected by his adversaries, envied by his opponents, and admired by all. Do we want someone with the ability and charisma to improve on what he did, or someone that would drag us back?

As far as we know, he showed exemplary leadership, which has now made him the standard by which every one else would be measured. You move forward by improving on your past, not by lowering standards.

Which to me seems to be what we are doing.

And what is wrong with that? He is the finest Yoruba man ever. The embodiment of Omoluabi. What is wrong with asking everyone, including the so called Asiwaju, to live up to the best amongst us? Is that too much to ask?

Or what is the point of judging politician X on whether he is an "Awoist" or not?

Did you take offense with Obama announcing his candidacy at the Old State Capitol building, where Abraham Lincol[/b]n delivered his "House Divided" speech in 1858? The GOP is often referred to as the [b]part of Reagan?

In most endeavors, someone comes along that changes everything. Someone who brings success to his people, a field  or a way of thinking; Linus pauling, changed Chemistry; Milton, Liberal economics; Socrates, dialectics etc. That person in Yoruba 'mythology' is Awolowo. He brought success to the SW in unprecedented ways. Simply stated, Awoist is synonymous with all that is good about us, and all that we hope to be; Good education, access to a great health system, hard-work, personal success, organizational skills, intellectual sagacity, foresightedness, progressiveness, determination, perseverance, good judgement, flexibility, humanity, love, friendship, transparency, forgiveness, humility, the mystic oneness of everything deep down, just to mention a few.

I've never even been a fan of such blanket terminology. . . of what use is "Awoist" or not if we have to analyze policy decision Y?

Understanble. You are not a politician and havent seen a  real campaign. Too bad! Lets just say, practically speaking, touting your Awoist credential sells in the SW.

I think building a strong national party that leaves us less susceptible to power plays made by other groups is a good short-term (and long-term) political objective. I view it as a political goal to make strong alliances in other parts of the country with those we can work with. Especially in places like the MB and SS. I think it a worthy goal to greatly weaken the PDP. These to me seem to be very worthy tasks.

Political parties arent the end, just a means. What use is weakening PDP for the sake of it alone? Awolowo would not have wanted to weaken the PDP for the sake of defeating OBJ or for some other superficial reasons.  If it wouldnt advance the braoder Yoruba cause, he probably would not have supported it. Awo did  not just want Independence for Nigeria, he was convinced beyond reasonable doubts that we, Nigerians, could do more than the British. he lamented at the lack of development under the British and he just wanted something better for Nigeria, unlike Zik who's goal was to have the bragging right as the "leader of the biggest black country in the world."

Awo, of course, wanted Yorubaland to be strong and prosperous, but not for any selfish end. The prosperity and well-being of the Yoruba nation was to be a benchmark for the Federal Republic of Nigeria. As Awo used to say, he could not be a good Nigerian, if he was not a good Yorubaman! One can recall Awo's rebuke of my friend, brother and colleague, Chief Bisi Onabanjo, when in 1983, following the NPN rigging of elections, he called for a confederation. He gave him political spanking and that publicity . I am aware of course, that not only has Awo been vilified by Zik and other unitarists as a tribalist and apostle of balkanisation of Nigeria, quite a few Yoruba concerned nationalists have also queried why Awo did not lead Yorubaland out of Nigeria during the Civil War. Chief Emeka Ojukwu's grouse, and that of some of his misguided cronies, was that they were encouraged in their secessionist bid by the motion which was passed by Yoruba leaders in the Western Hall, Ibadan, about April 1967.

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/oarticles/obafemi_awolowo.htm

I view it as very important to grow the economy of the SW and increase the fraction of money generated through IGR in each of the states. I'm tired of being dependent on oil money from the SS. This seems to be a goal that the ACN shares, to some extent.

I think PDP shares the same goal as well. OGD increased Ogun's IGR during his tenure. Nuff said.

I'm not an ACN member,[b] I just think that their interests and that of the SW largely overlap [/b]at this point in time.

Are you suggesting that ACN is a Yoruba Party? Or that OGD, or OBJ, does not have the best interest of the SW? Or that ACN is the answer to all that ails the SW?
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by EkoIle1: 6:19am On Jun 16, 2011
What a bunch of mindless, thoughtless and contradictory mumbo jombo.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by ektbear: 6:27am On Jun 16, 2011
I don't really know how to respond. I guess we differ a lot in how we view things. Btw, I have no problem with you worshiping Awo if you do so in the religious sense. It is your right. Just not something I'm into (and I mean this with no sarcasm or disrespect intended.)
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by seanet03: 6:32am On Jun 16, 2011
God punish anybody trying to prove that OGD have Yorubas interest in heart. Nonsensical Reasoning. Egba won danu, egba won si canal, osusu owo egba won si nu igbe. Omo ole niwon. OJUYOBO tawon yo. Igbe afe ewe oko la wa owun obe.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by aribisala0(m): 8:00am On Jun 16, 2011
LadyT:

Baba@ aribisala!

People talking about tinubu like he's some saint. Oba area boys

iya don't u think u r being too harsh. i really don't want to be his advocate but he certainly is a lesser one of the many evils in lagos state. but like i said i am not his lawyer
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by enyojo(f): 9:19am On Jun 16, 2011
[size=14pt]New Thunderbolt from Tribune against Tinubu[/size]

Tinubu’s trial: Tribunal members nominated •To be inaugurated next week
| Print | E-mail

Written by Lanre Adewole Thursday, 16 June 2011

AT last, the two members needed for the Code of Conduct Tribunal to begin trial of cases sent to it by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) have been reportedly nominated, awaiting the approval of President Goodluck Jonathan.

A plethora of high-profile cases had been reportedly sent to the tribunal by the bureau, with the money-laundering and illegal operation of foreign accounts cases of former Lagos State governor, Senator Bola Tinubu, topping the list.

The chairman of the bureau, Sam Saba, had confirmed to the Nigerian Tribune that lack of quorum at the tribunal was responsible for the delay in arraigning Tinubu.

A former member, upgraded as acting chairman, Danladi Umar Yakubu, had solely been holding forte at the tribunal since the death of the former chairman, Adebayo Muritala Sanni, with the system completely inactive due to lack of quorum.

On the president’s table awaiting his approval were said to be two nominees from Benue and Cross River states, while Yakubu; the acting chairman was also said to have been granted full powers in another upward swing.

With his reported ele-vation as substantive chairman and two mem-bers already on the card, the tribunal, according to the Nigerian Tribune source, would be fully active next week.

The inauguration of the tribunal, according to a credible source, had also been tentatively fixed for next week.

There had been specu-lations that certain political understanding had stalled the appointment of the members by President Jonathan.

Nigerian Tribune can also reveal that commissioners of the Code of Conduct Bureau who had been on the field collating evidence on the level of compliance on asset declaration by the immediate past public office holders and the newly-elected, would be meeting with Saba either today or tomorrow, to brief him on their findings.

The commissioners were said to have been converging on Abuja since last week, with the last batch reportedly in, on Tuesday and the meeting to discuss their findings reportedly scheduled to start today.

Saba, during a chat with the Nigerian Tribune, had disclosed that some immediate past commi-ssioners in Nasarawa State had been found making untrue entries in their asset declaration form, with some said to be declaring N1,000 as account balance, even when it was discovered that they were lodging N1 million every month into the same bank account.

He lamented situations in recent past, when names of high-ranking public officials charged by the bureau, disappeared from the prosecution list at the tribunal, promising to plug all the holes as the bureau braced for the next round of prosecution of defaulting public officials.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/23615-tinubus-trial-tribunal-members-nominated-to-be-inaugurated-next-week
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by duno: 10:08am On Jun 16, 2011
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by informed(m): 10:37am On Jun 16, 2011
I'm baffled by the type of tirades I often see on Nairaland. So many people just love to hate n be economical with truth , blind followers.

For several years, TINUBU has been depending on the legacies of AWo to play his politics. This all goes back to the AD days but TINUBU is no AWO. Their brand of politics is very different. While AWO was more interested in building lasting legacies and honest politics, TINUBU is more intrested in hiding under the camouflage of the opposition and looting the state.

That very thing Bola Ahmed TINUBU criticizes the PDP for, he's 100% guilty too. Tinubu is as corrupt as they come, he cant tell us he has not lined his pocket with the spoils of the state and come claiming Awo. Who is the head of the touts in Lagos? Who owns Oriential Hotels and at what point was it developed? What were the legacies TINUBU's eight year administration in Lagos had to show?

Why did Lagosians suddenly regard Fashola as a messih? Who owns OANDO? Who owns hypertek engr? So many,

It's an Abomination to equate Bola Ahmed TINUBU to an AWo. They are not the same and please Tinubu should create his own brand and stop trying to ursurp the memories of a goodman or insult his family. His three family - wife, daughter n son in law have been entrenched in the Senate, Federal House and Lagos House of Assemblies respectively, Were all this by merit?

TIME WILL TELL.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by emmatok(m): 10:46am On Jun 16, 2011
informed:

I'm baffled by the type of tirades I often see on Nairaland. So many people just love to hate n be economical with truth , blind followers.

For several years, TINUBU has been depending on the legacies of AWo to play his politics. This all goes back to the AD days but TINUBU is no AWO. Their brand of politics is very different. While AWO was more interested in building lasting legacies and honest politics, TINUBU is more intrested in hiding under the camouflage of the opposition and looting the state.

That very thing Bola Ahmed TINUBU criticizes the PDP for, he's 100% guilty too. Tinubu is as corrupt as they come, he cant tell us he has not lined his pocket with the spoils of the state and come claiming Awo. Who is the head of the touts in Lagos? Who owns Oriential Hotels and at what point was it developed? What were the legacies TINUBU's eight year administration in Lagos had to show?

Why did Lagosians suddenly regard Fashola as a messih? Who owns OANDO? Who owns hypertek engr? So many,

It's an Abomination to equate Bola Ahmed TINUBU to an AWo. They are not the same and please Tinubu should create his own brand and stop trying to ursurp the memories of a goodman or insult his family. His three family - wife, daughter n son in law have been entrenched in the Senate, Federal House and Lagos House of Assemblies respectively, Were all this by merit?

TIME WILL TELL.

Thank you.

Apart from winning the SW to ACN .

Tunibu has not done anything for the Yoruba people .

Most ACN candidates are PDP AND ANPP deserters.

Yet he wants to compete with AWO when he not stand JAKANDE.
Re: Irresponsible Journalism: Who Would Call The Tribune To Order by nolongtin(m): 11:17am On Jun 16, 2011
for exposing a drug lord,corrupt man.ILD SAY GOOD JOB TRIBUNE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pls Help Before Access Bank Send Me To Jail. / NNPC To INEC: We’ll Make Sure Petrol Is Available During Elections / Don’t Scrap Niger Delta Affairs Ministry, PANDEF Tells Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.