Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan (26886 Views)

If I’m Collecting ₦250k, I Won’t Be In That Place Again – Underbridge Landlord / How A Widowed “Akara” Seller Became A Landlord In Lagos - Lady Reveals / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by GhostWisperer: 11:05am On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:
I went to visit one of my friends in Ibadan on Sunday, I told him to fill up his generator tank because I don't like heat. We went to get fuel and turned on the generator.

When we got in, my friend started gisting me about his landlord's attitude towards him, the man called him one day and told him to stop bringing ladies home, he said the agent that got him the house lied to him that the landlord wasn't staying in the same compound, it was after he paid and already moved in he discovered the landlord was living in the same compound, at this point he had no choice anymore since he had already moved in, and ever since then the man has being given him different problems. I advised him to try enduring till his payment is due and move out of the house.

While we were gisting it was around some mintues past 12, we suddenly heard a loud bang on his window, had to pause the ps3 we were playing out of the shock, I already located the next available weapon incase someone was trying to play funny.

My friend went to check who was banging on the window only to discover it was the landlord, he said why would my friend's generator still be on by that time. My friend ignored him and the next thing this man did was turned off the Gen, at this point myself and my friend got very annoyed especially because i was about to win the FIFA we were playing, had to follow my friend out to see what's going on.

This man bought a mat outside and lay down beside the generator. It was when my friend told the man I was a military officer from Kano who came visiting that this man stood up and composed himself, he reluctantly went inside when he saw my strong face.

My friend turned on the generator again and when we got inside we started laughing about the whole situation, if not that my friend had lied that I was a military personnel this man would have left his wife and children inside his house just to sleep beside the generator to prevent us from turning on the generator...

Crazy people everywhere...P.S we later replayed the game and i lost...
the landlord is not within his rights to ask your friend to not bring on female visitors.

About the Gen, there are some areas where everyone is expected to shut it down at certain time of night for security reasons. If your friend has signed that, then it's within the landlord's right to ask him to turn it off.

Also, if na cassava-grinding generator your friend use, e suppose still dey off am sharply for night make people for sleep.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Lordbinsmar: 11:06am On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:
I [s][/s]went to visit one of my friends in Ibadan on Sunday, I told him to fill up his generator tank because I don't like heat. We went to get fuel and turned on the generator.

When we got in, my friend started gisting me about his landlord's attitude towards him, the man called him one day and told him to stop bringing ladies home, he said the agent that got him the house lied to him that the landlord wasn't staying in the same compound, it was after he paid and already moved in he discovered the landlord was living in the same compound, at this point he had no choice anymore since he had already moved in, and ever since then the man has being given him different problems. I advised him to try enduring till his payment is due and move out of the house.

While we were gisting it was around some mintues past 12, we suddenly heard a loud bang on his window, had to pause the ps3 we were playing out of the shock, I already located the next available weapon incase someone was trying to play funny.

My friend went to check who was banging on the window only to discover it was the landlord, he said why would my friend's generator still be on by that time. My friend ignored him and the next thing this man did was turned off the Gen, at this point myself and my friend got very annoyed especially because i was about to win the FIFA we were playing, had to follow my friend out to see what's going on.

This man bought a mat outside and lay down beside the generator. It was when my friend told the man I was a military officer from Kano who came visiting that this man stood up and composed himself, he reluctantly went inside when he saw my strong face.

My friend turned on the generator again and when we got inside we started laughing about the whole situation, if not that my friend had lied that I was a military personnel this man would have left his wife and children inside his house just to sleep beside the generator to prevent us from turning on the generator...

Crazy people everywhere...P.S we later replayed the game and i lost...[s][/s]

Why do you have to disturb the peace of your community by keeping your generator on till 12am?

That's irresponsible of you and your friend.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by lagosrd: 11:07am On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:

I'm sorry, pls just manage it like that

Abet no mind am. Is this an English class. Paragraph wey dem add and still score C6 in waec

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by meedoLock(m): 11:13am On Dec 24, 2021
Honestly, the best Lord over lands are those who don't share spaces with their tenants.

It gives self respect for the land lord himself and breathing space for the tenants.

I was determined to move out of my present house when the landlord son (a weed smokers) didn't give me a rest of mind out of envy. He once claimed he's in logger head with me because I'm a Muslim with a Christian girl friend who pays me visit on weekends. That amongst his excesses.

I was going to move out until the rest of the Landlord's daughters held a meeting that he should vacate the house because they received too much of complaint from other tenants. Hence I intends to use a year more.

Bottom line, some landlords or landladies can make tenants life miserable so also some tenants can drag owners spaces with them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by KingAzari: 11:14am On Dec 24, 2021
Alcapone001:

Do you understand how the house was built?what made you even jump into conclusion that he was disturbing other tenant?

Why would someone have a generator running at midnight? Not only the noise impact, sleep disturbance and discomfort it has on other people, its noisy sound(depending...), compromises the security of the environment. You won't even hear when - an intruder enters your corner or there is an emergency situation like fire outbreak - people are calling you out to run to safety until you hear a bang on your door.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by LillyandDaisy: 11:23am On Dec 24, 2021
Staying together with my old landlord as never been a problem!! The man naa guy man, we drink and smoke together!! Some times he go even tell me he like to bang some of my friends!!!
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by yemi1504: 11:24am On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:
I went to visit one of my friends in Ibadan on Sunday, I told him to fill up his generator tank because I don't like heat. We went to get fuel and turned on the generator.

Living with Landlords is hell especially in Ibadan so your story could be quite true. I remember another experience in this same Ibadan where a senior colleague at work told me his landlord will deny him fetching water until some certain people have fetched water and he has to go to work SMH. So, it is a very important requirement especially in Ibadan to avoid houses that have landlords. You can go behind the caretaker to the building the next day or in a few hours after being shown the building, and ask the tenants if a Landlord lives with them. That is one of the ways to go about it. My 2 cents.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by baaliyah(m): 11:26am On Dec 24, 2021
So
Wazobia2216:

The lies most agents now engage in!

When I read most post here on Nairaland on how their landlords are nice, I am tempted to think that it's a paid post!

If landlords are superb, what will make an agent lie Why will majority of the tenants insist that they do not want to live with a landlord

This post is a true situation of what it's like to live with an average landlord in Nigeria!

Sense no go kee OP grin grin grin[/b]

Some landlord are so good. God bless all my former landlords.
Sometimes, I avoided my last landlord because of questions like: how about your project, which stage are you, what is the next thing you intend to do... So caring a man. Rev Dr Bamishile.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by yemi1504: 11:26am On Dec 24, 2021
jaeyking:
Crazy people everywhere
When u look at it
The older generation poses more problems to Nigeria than the youths

Staying with old landlords is a big NO

Very big No! I have noticed the older generation can be very dogmatic and opinionated about issues and don't care if they inconvenience you with it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by yemi1504: 11:29am On Dec 24, 2021
2special:
I hate the noise of Generator....All generator should be off by 10pm or you on and keep your gen inside your room after 10pm.

I too hate it but there is a way that it can be said to solve the issue not the way, the Landlord went about it! And if it is really an issue for him and whatever issues he has, he should write it in the tenancy agreement before even renting it out for future reference.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by MNDY(m): 11:33am On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:

Had a similar experience in same southwest recently but not directly with my landlord, his wife. It was dark, I was arguing something with the landlord quietly before his wife jumped up from where she was sitting nearby to start cursing me. I am tall and chesty many do take me for either a police or military officer too.

I challenged her and asked her if she knew who I am. We've not met before. I go to work very early and return late and she comes to the house sometimes only. She had to mellow down when I threatened her so much and criticized her for not knowing who she was talking at. I later found out that she is a very troublesome woman.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by yemi1504: 11:34am On Dec 24, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

What is wrong with Nigerians

Look at the way so many people are saying it is wrong to put on your gen till 12 am

Wait o....so I can't put on my gen till dawn

Not everybody can sleep with gen on at ungodly times, some of us are light sleepers. This issue is one of the reasons why I hate Lagos a lot. Ibadan is still fair as regards that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Elliotwaveforec: 11:35am On Dec 24, 2021
NoToPile:
But why would your Gen be on till past 12 in a house shared with other people, you don't want them to sleep?

As usual, on NL the landlord is the evil one not the tenant that refuse to consider others living in the compound, I blame him for not including it in the agreement, houses with multiple flats do have an agreement for Gen to be on till 11 pm maximum most times.

There's a 16 flat house I know and if every tenant puts on Gen till past 12 it would be crazy.

You have used your own power as a fake military officer, you forget that everybody get him own power.

I don't even understand what you are bragging about sef, calling him crazy for asking you to put of your Gen by past 12 am, even if the landlord is not there, are you not disturbing other Co tenants if you have.
Correct!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Elliotwaveforec: 11:40am On Dec 24, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright

What is wrong with Nigerians

Look at the way so many people are saying it is wrong to put on your gen till 12 am

Wait o....so I can't put on my gen till dawn
As a yahooboy, you never get money to build your own house? Build your house and put on gen 247, nobody go disturb you, but community go still challenge you. Na to fight the whole community remain.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by yemi1504: 11:42am On Dec 24, 2021
GhostWisperer:
the landlord is not within his rights to ask your friend to not bring on female visitors.

About the Gen, there are some areas where everyone is expected to shut it down at certain time of night for security reasons. If your friend has signed that, then it's within the landlord's right to ask him to turn it off.

Also, if na cassava-grinding generator your friend use, e suppose still dey off am sharply for night make people for sleep.

You are right on this but in this same Ibadan, a friend lost a house due to this same girls issue, he was told he must not bring more than one lady to the apartment and at certain times too SMH. The old generation, I just don't understand them sigh. My father is part of that generation and his decisions make me take drastic decisions like I did today.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by MaverickA3: 11:43am On Dec 24, 2021
I can't stop laughing while reading people's comment about their hatred for generator sound. Go and get apartment in GRA or better still build another house on the mountain. People aren't enjoying good electricity and you are complaining about people putting on their generator. If I were the OP, I'll not lie to him, I'll rather show him trouble. What kind of audacity is that, I on gen, you went ahead to off it. I swear I fit slap the man

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 24, 2021
KingAzari:

Why would someone have a generator running at midnight? Not only the noise impact it has on other people, it compromises the security of the environment. You won't even hear when an intruder enters your corner or there is a safety situation like fire and people calling you out to run until you hear a bang on your door.
Ok..
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 24, 2021
NoToPile:

If you had read my post well you would have seen the clause 'if you have' let's even assume it's only him and the landlord living in the compound, it's not proper leaving your Gen on till that time because you will the disturbing the other person, even the next compound.

People like that are simply inconsiderate and selfish that's all.

In some CDAs here you do not put on your Gen till past 11, the overnight security guard will come bang your gate to put it off as they claim its a security risk and they can't hear what's happening with generators on.

The OP is wrong and he is looking for support to blame to landlord and paint landlord black.
Ok..
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Adeyinka12(m): 11:51am On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:

There's nothing funny here, 10pm is okay for you to turn off your generator , you should always consider the health of your neighbours and moreover this is noise and air pollution, i hate it die. love your neighbours Bro.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by na2016: 12:05pm On Dec 24, 2021
jaeyking:
Crazy people everywhere
When u look at it
The older generation poses more problems to Nigeria than the youths

Staying with old landlords is a big NO

They actually caused the problems the youths are inheriting now. Most of them had jobs ready for them after Uni and were even begged to go to school.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Maddestdp(m): 12:30pm On Dec 24, 2021
You are lucky. No matter what you do. In my own neighbourhood. No one must put on generator after 10pm. It's a law. Most yahoo boys are forced to live here and we don't even want them here. Since then, no more attacks of boys

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Curdlebug(m): 12:33pm On Dec 24, 2021
creolehunt:

You may want to add paragraphs to your post. Its difficult to read.
amebo oshi...
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by sammyj490(m): 12:35pm On Dec 24, 2021
GhostWisperer:

Bro i asked him if he signed any agreement that he would b turning off his gen before 12, he said he did not...But the landlord just told him verbally one time like that.
And the gen is a medium size generator not a tiger generator
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by AmazingELixir: 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2021
grin

Would do thesame if I were the landlord...I detest the sound of generator even in the day let alone at night.

I use generator but never slept with it on because the noise disturbs me so much.....12 midnight latest it is off.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by tctrills: 12:53pm On Dec 24, 2021
2special:
I hate the noise of Generator....All generator should be off by 10pm or you on and keep your gen inside your room after 10pm.
Why 10 pm, why not 6pm. What metrics did you use in deciding 10pm.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by 2special(m): 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2021
tctrills:

Why 10 pm, why not 6pm. What metrics did you use in deciding 10pm.
10pm works for me.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by GhostWisperer: 1:03pm On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:

Bro i asked him if he signed any agreement that he would b turning off his gen before 12, he said he did not...But the landlord just told him verbally one time like that.
And the gen is a medium size generator not a tiger generator
Hmmm, the landlord get serious personal issues.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 24, 2021
123readygo:
Hmmmmmm
The only thing I have come to appreciate in humans is that we all are naturally selfish... I remember when I was still living in a commercial house (4 decking) and one tenant was just oppressing everybody with his generator because he was rich; he runs his generator till day break and we called a meeting and complained to him but he warned us never to call him to such a meeting. We complained to the landlord but the next thing we heard from the landlord is that if you cannot withstand the noise you pack out....
That generator was directly under my window and I hardly sleep any night electricity is out... I had to resort in vandalising that generator till that man regained his senses and started switching the gen off once its 12midnight which was what we told him in the meeting.
After one year when he couldn't withstand the 'discomfort' he moved into his own house.

How did you do that bro?
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Crucialgem(m): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2021
Anytime I see a landlord tenant thread like this I instantly drop in to read, sincerely some landlord or landlady behave as if it is more than that house they own tbh some of them even inherited it not that it was their sweat

I am currently living in a family like house where just 4 rooms were rented out, mehhn no be joke ooo, different issues to talk about everyday they monitor your movement, who you bring in and what you cook

Sometimes I get really tired sad sad but as it is, guy man has not hustle enough to move out yet so I just have to manage for the main time
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2021
On a more serious note, why should your generator be on by past 12 in the midnight. Allow people to sleep in peace. Noice pollution is not healthy.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by GhostWisperer: 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2021
yemi1504:

You are right on this but in this same Ibadan, a friend lost a house due to this same girls issue, he was told he must not bring more than one lady to the apartment and at certain times too SMH. The old generation, I just don't understand them sigh. My father is part of that generation and his decisions make me take drastic decisions like I did today.
hmmm, it's not really a generational thing. Exposure, education, personal development come to bear here.

Most landlords actually think there are in control of their tenants' behaviour and lifestyle in Nigeria. They think they are the ones doing the tenant a favour.

It's an African thing, from bankers who think they are doing you a massive favour when you come to withdraw your own money.

To your pastors who believe they are the gatekeepers of heaven to doctors in Africa who play God and are as unprofessional and arrogant as a peacock.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2021
NoToPile:
But why would your Gen be on till past 12 in a house shared with other people, you don't want them to sleep?

As usual, on NL the landlord is the evil one not the tenant that refuse to consider others living in the compound, I blame him for not including it in the agreement, houses with multiple flats do have an agreement for Gen to be on till 11 pm maximum most times.

There's a 16 flat house I know and if every tenant puts on Gen till past 12 it would be crazy.

You have used your own power as a fake military officer, you forget that everybody get him own power.

I don't even understand what you are bragging about sef, calling him crazy for asking you to put of your Gen by past 12 am, even if the landlord is not there, are you not disturbing other Co tenants if you have.

Don't mind those maggots here praising him. Why will a sensible human being allow his generator on by past 12......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Residents Cry Out As Government Demolish Houses In FESTAC Phase 2 / My Hostile Neighbor / Ghana's Oldest Storey Building Over Three Centuries Older Than That Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.