Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan (26868 Views)

How A Widowed “Akara” Seller Became A Landlord In Lagos - Lady Reveals / Be A Landlord In CHRISTAL VILLA Queen's Court Shapati / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Focusmind: 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2021
Solar is bae. I wished every Nigerian could afford it. Sometimes, when I see how we are wasting God-given sunlight here, I marveled. Once the sun is shining and the heat is on, my appliances are operating at maximum capacity, with freezer oozing out its snowish smoke. Nothing like renewable natural, clean energy in a home.

All these rich men mounting gigantic mikano and John holt generators should help themselves with solar and sleep peacefully without generator.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by kaludestiny10(m): 1:14pm On Dec 24, 2021
I stay in a compound where the landlord leaves his own generator set on till 12 mid night. But once his own gen set is faulty and a tenant does the same, the man will be complaining of noise from the tenant's gen set. Some landlords are hypocrites.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by tctrills: 1:18pm On Dec 24, 2021
2special:
10pm works for me.
3am works for me
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by 2special(m): 1:21pm On Dec 24, 2021
tctrills:

3am works for me
haaaaaaaaaa no wahala o

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by tctrills: 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2021
2special:
haaaaaaaaaa no wahala o
lol.. the only way out of this generator madness is for government to do the needful. Setting a time limit would only be limiting the freedoms of ordinary people who are not the cause of the power failure.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by KennethEnyi(m): 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2021
That’s why it’s good to buy land and build your own house
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Curious345: 1:38pm On Dec 24, 2021
Don't ever live in the same house with the landlord , I repeat , don't ever ever ever
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by yemi1504: 2:20pm On Dec 24, 2021
GhostWisperer:
hmmm, it's not really a generational thing. Exposure, education, personal development come to bear here.

Most landlords actually think there are in control of their tenants' behaviour and lifestyle in Nigeria. They think they are the ones doing the tenant a favour.

It's an African thing, from bankers who think they are doing you a massive favour when you come to withdraw your own money.

To your pastors who believe they are the gatekeepers of heaven to doctors in Africa who play God and are as unprofessional and arrogant as a peacock.

Trust me, it is mostly a generational thing and most of these issues won't die out unfortunately until majority of them are gone.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by nurudeen181(m): 2:50pm On Dec 24, 2021
creolehunt:

You may want to add paragraphs to your post. Its difficult to read.
do they still use paragraph?
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by zinaunreal(m): 3:02pm On Dec 24, 2021
Sick people dey o
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Oyiboman69: 3:02pm On Dec 24, 2021
2special:
I hate the noise of Generator....All generator should be off by 10pm or you on and keep your gen inside your room after 10pm.
are you okay?...do you want to commit self suicide?....

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by silverx(m): 3:21pm On Dec 24, 2021
creolehunt:

You may want to add paragraphs to your post. Its difficult to read.
Are there no paragraph in what you just finish reading? Seven paragraph as a matter of fact. ITK
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by RillJ(m): 3:24pm On Dec 24, 2021
Crazy people everywhere...P.S we later replayed the game and i lost...

The joke was on you bro!
Your Ibadan friend saw ahead that the game may go against him hence he arranged with the landlord that if by 'so so and so time' you do not hear from me, plz switch off my gen>

Then he prepared your mind ahead with crazy stories of the 'amiable' landlord's mischiefs whereas Ibadan people including the landlords are the most friendly on the globe grin grin grin

Just when your were about to win the game, the conspirators pulled did the 'needful', Gen went off, game had to start afresh.

And true to plan, you lost to the home zone. You have been played bro.

PS; to those who believe my narratives above, and those who think otherwise, just remember this:

Crazy people everywhere grin grin grin
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by SavageResponse(m): 3:41pm On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:
I went to visit one of my friends in Ibadan on Sunday, I told him to fill up his generator tank because I don't like heat. We went to get fuel and turned on the generator.

When we got in, my friend started gisting me about his landlord's attitude towards him, the man called him one day and told him to stop bringing ladies home, he said the agent that got him the house lied to him that the landlord wasn't staying in the same compound, it was after he paid and already moved in he discovered the landlord was living in the same compound, at this point he had no choice anymore since he had already moved in, and ever since then the man has being given him different problems. I advised him to try enduring till his payment is due and move out of the house.

While we were gisting it was around some mintues past 12, we suddenly heard a loud bang on his window, had to pause the ps3 we were playing out of the shock, I already located the next available weapon incase someone was trying to play funny.

My friend went to check who was banging on the window only to discover it was the landlord, he said why would my friend's generator still be on by that time. My friend ignored him and the next thing this man did was turned off the Gen, at this point myself and my friend got very annoyed especially because i was about to win the FIFA we were playing, had to follow my friend out to see what's going on.

This man bought a mat outside and lay down beside the generator. It was when my friend told the man I was a military officer from Kano who came visiting that this man stood up and composed himself, he reluctantly went inside when he saw my strong face.

My friend turned on the generator again and when we got inside we started laughing about the whole situation, if not that my friend had lied that I was a military personnel this man would have left his wife and children inside his house just to sleep beside the generator to prevent us from turning on the generator...

You left your house to go to your friend's house and while there encouraged him to disobey his landlord so you can feel good about yourself then come here and boast and make the landlord look bad.

That trouble you're looking for you will soon find it!

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Orpe7(m): 3:46pm On Dec 24, 2021
Reason why ur gen should be off at night
1. To avoid robbers using it as a means to Rob n not get detected

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by bluefilm: 3:54pm On Dec 24, 2021
NoToPile:
But why would your Gen be on till past 12 in a house shared with other people, you don't want them to sleep?

As usual, on NL the landlord is the evil one not the tenant that refuse to consider others living in the compound, I blame him for not including it in the agreement, houses with multiple flats do have an agreement for Gen to be on till 11 pm maximum most times.

There's a 16 flat house I know and if every tenant puts on Gen till past 12 it would be crazy.

You have used your own power as a fake military officer, you forget that everybody get him own power.

I don't even understand what you are bragging about sef, calling him crazy for asking you to put of your Gen by past 12 am, even if the landlord is not there, are you not disturbing other Co tenants if you have.

Don't mind the idiot.

He thinks he can be disturbing other people's sleep just because he thinks he can.

If I were to be the Landlord, I will seize the Gen entirely lemme see what you and your army friends will do to me in court.

Nonsense. angry

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by wealthtrak: 4:16pm On Dec 24, 2021
sammyj490:
I went to visit one of my friends in Ibadan on Sunday, I told him to fill up his generator tank because I don't like heat. We went to get fuel and turned on the generator.

When we got in, my friend started gisting me about his landlord's attitude towards him, the man called him one day and told him to stop bringing ladies home, he said the agent that got him the house lied to him that the landlord wasn't staying in the same compound, it was after he paid and already moved in he discovered the landlord was living in the same compound, at this point he had no choice anymore since he had already moved in, and ever since then the man has being given him different problems. I advised him to try enduring till his payment is due and move out of the house.

While we were gisting it was around some mintues past 12, we suddenly heard a loud bang on his window, had to pause the ps3 we were playing out of the shock, I already located the next available weapon incase someone was trying to play funny.

My friend went to check who was banging on the window only to discover it was the landlord, he said why would my friend's generator still be on by that time. My friend ignored him and the next thing this man did was turned off the Gen, at this point myself and my friend got very annoyed especially because i was about to win the FIFA we were playing, had to follow my friend out to see what's going on.

This man bought a mat outside and lay down beside the generator. It was when my friend told the man I was a military officer from Kano who came visiting that this man stood up and composed himself, he reluctantly went inside when he saw my strong face.

My friend turned on the generator again and when we got inside we started laughing about the whole situation, if not that my friend had lied that I was a military personnel this man would have left his wife and children inside his house just to sleep beside the generator to prevent us from turning on the generator...

LOL... grin
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by lereinter(m): 4:20pm On Dec 24, 2021
Sleep beside generator

Old man wan inhale co

But which area in Ibadan
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by joneasyman: 4:32pm On Dec 24, 2021
That was wrong bro, around 12am you are still using generator, those that makes sense to you, you are now tagging and old man bad, bro check yoursef
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by joneasyman: 4:34pm On Dec 24, 2021
You wrong bro, using generator at that time was totally wrong.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by papamondico: 4:43pm On Dec 24, 2021
The Landlord is an of progress. He doesn't like good thing.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:07pm On Dec 24, 2021
NoToPile:
But why would your Gen be on till past 12 in a house shared with other people, you don't want them to sleep?

Á t there, are you not disturbing other Co tenants if you have.

You're not totally correct, bro. That's why agreements are necessary before moving into any accomodation. There should be rules and regulations.

I know a three storey building filled with flats where there's a designated area in the compound assigned for generators. If you like, put on your generator for one month, no one cares. Where I live, one of the rules on the list is "no hotplate or electric cooker", but the landlord had to strike it off.

So, the landlord should have informed him before he moved in. The landlord is likely a troublesome person for him not to have considered meeting his new tenant before he paid, considering he lives in the same compound (I might be wrong though)
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by creolehunt: 5:07pm On Dec 24, 2021
silverx:
Are there no paragraph in what you just finish reading? Seven paragraph as a matter of fact. ITK

Aren't you just senseless. If you were wise, you'd know he edited it after my comment.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by AYNL: 5:10pm On Dec 24, 2021
NoToPile:

As usual, on NL the landlord is the evil one not the tenant that refuse to consider others living in the compound, I blame him for not including it in the agreement, houses with multiple flats do have an agreement for Gen to be on till 11 pm maximum most times.

There's a 16 flat house I know and if every tenant puts on Gen till past 12 it would be crazy.

You have used your own power as a fake military officer, you forget that everybody get him own power.

I don't even understand what you are bragging about sef, calling him crazy for asking you to put of your Gen by past 12 am, even if the landlord is not there, are you not disturbing other Co tenants if you have.

yes the landlord is the bad one here

and I'm baffled on why you only talked about the generator part

what about warning him not to have female visitors

where's that done,are the ladies the landlord relatives?
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by SavageResponse(m): 5:25pm On Dec 24, 2021
Cerebellum:
grin

Never rent a house where the landlord lives in, E geh why

And I love how you finished your write up

This is a big lie, I have lived in houses with landlords before without problems.

People who have this mentality are those who generally do not like to pay their electricity or service sharge
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Ibime2003: 5:26pm On Dec 24, 2021
I once admitted a tenant in the house i was living in ilorin couple of years ago . Actually i didn't discuss the issue of generator work time with her, i assumed that a responsible adult suppose to off the Generator by 12am latest. Alas!!! I was wrong, This person came in and want to on the Generator till day break, i said no, it is not possible.

The reason why it is not possible is that: the sound of generator working overnight is a security threat. Secondly, the noise will be affecting other co - tenants, neighbours living in other compound and myself living in the compound.
Thirdly, the landlord association of the area is not in support of such practice.

The difference between where a landlord lives and where a landlord doesn't live in this scenario is that, where a landlord doesn't reside, your co-tenant and neighbours living in other houses close by might not have the guts to come and face you to shut down your generator at a particular time of the day, it is not that they are afraid of you, but they will be thinking that if they confront you, you might think they are beefing you or they are a bad belle who is envious of you. Either they confront you or not, the fact remains that working your gen till day break, is an inconvenience to your co-tenants and neighbours, if they didn't talk, they are only enduring.

But where the landlord lives, he won't send you, he might even take action against you, not because of himself but because of you being a source of inconvenience to other tenants and neighbours.

The tenant and I reached an agreement over the issue, we agreed she should look for another apartment. She got another apartment and paid for it and i refunded her, her rent balance after deducting the one month she spent in the apartment. I paid her the refund on the day she packed and that's how we parted happily.

What happened @ the time taught me a lesson and i always make sure i cross all Ts and dot all Is when getting new tenants. I don't like giving house to agents, agents make life unbearable to tenants by making them to pay more to secure house and most of them don't do any due diligence, they just get any tenant that is ready to pay.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Enniez2018(m): 6:17pm On Dec 24, 2021
I remember one mama house wey I stay for bodija that year, self contain oooo. The woman frustrate my life eeeh I swore that anytime I rent a house again, the landlord must never live near me
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by NifemiKolade(m): 8:00pm On Dec 24, 2021
You and your friend are simply unreasonable and inconsiderate. Even people living in some GRA like aerodrome put off their generator by 11pm. If you had tried this nonsense in Akala way Akobo, Carlton gate or kolapo ishola estate, u and that your nonsense friend would've spent the night in the neighborhood vigilantes custody... undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed radarada all these Lagos small boys wey dey come ib dey do big boy
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Supersymetry: 8:29pm On Dec 24, 2021
Ignorance is evil, more dangerous than malice.
U re a nuisance.
The reason generator noises don't affect most Nigerians is because they don't think.., thinking and deep thought require a calm environment.
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by dapaiks: 8:46pm On Dec 24, 2021
Mide1data:
HOLY SHIT

Sorry ooo, why bring IB to the topic?

Back 2 d matter, i can never relate. Ever since ma dad was kicked out of his room when he was young, he made up his mind dat none of his children would sleep in a rented apartment.

WHAT DA BLEEP IS HAPPENING
I see, so during your school days and NYSC days ( assuming you are a graduate) your dad built you apartment in those various locations? Just thinking out loud...
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by sammyj490(m): 9:02pm On Dec 24, 2021
SavageResponse:

You left your house to go to your friend's house and while there encouraged him to disobey his landlord so you can feel good about yourself then come here and boast and make the landlord look bad.

That trouble you're looking for you will soon find it!
Bros did u see the part i advised him to endure till his payment is due and move out?
And for clarification...i wasn't boasting, i was only sharing my experience..And trouble will not find me nor u ijn..let's b calming down abeg
Re: My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan by Mide1data: 9:29pm On Dec 24, 2021
dapaiks:

I see, so during your school days and NYSC days ( assuming you are a graduate) your dad built you apartment in those various locations? Just thinking out loud...

HOLY SHIT

My sis ain't doing NYSC, Immediate after graduating she is travelling out of this country.
Also my dad is thinking of sending me to another country if I want to study medicine.

I may rent abroad but certainly not in 9ja.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Hostile Neighbor / Ghana's Oldest Storey Building Over Three Centuries Older Than That Of Nigeria / South Africans Hijacked A Nigerian's House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.