Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? (14234 Views)

Why Muslims Don't Take Interest-based Loans? / Why Muslims Do Not Celebrate And Congratulate Non-muslims On Their Festivals? / Why A Muslim Should Not Celebrate Valentine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Lukgaf(m): 9:20am On Dec 24, 2021
No doubt, we have friends, teachers and colleagues among non-Muslims. We engage and collaborate when it comes to worldly affairs. We congratulate them on their success. We have a lot of non-Muslim teachers we respect a lot - we benefitted a lot from them in terms of knowledge and experience. We do not sever our relationship with them.

In essence, Islam enjoys being good to all the creatures of Allah, whether a Muslim or non-Muslims (including the animals).

But when it comes to the issue of religion and beliefs, Muslims are encouraged not to compromise. In Islam (as it is available in other religions/beliefs), there are red lines we shouldn't cross (which are things we are prohibited from doing) and one of them is celebrating any festival (not only non-Muslim festival) not recognized in Islam. This is not limited to non-Muslim festivals but other innovated festivals in Islam, such as Mawlud Nabiyy, Islamic Calendar, etc (you see I have made some threads condemning these too).

Based on the above premise, the below thread gives an account of what Islam says about non-Muslims festivals and why Muslims should not partake in them.

Praise be to Allah.

Greeting the non-Muslims on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying 'A happy festival to you' or 'May you enjoy your festival,' and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid'ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa'idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one's colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal 'Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa' al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)

If you are a non-Muslim reading this and you have friends who do not send you wishes during the festival, I hope you will understand this and not think your friends do not care about you. Also, I hope you won't tag those Muslims as extremists and bigot because of this.

https://www.nairaland.com/6330534/what-islam-says-non-muslims-holiday

17 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by RoyalBoutique(m): 9:27am On Dec 24, 2021
There's hunger in Africa.

If you see where to eat, go and eat.

174 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by sorextee(m): 11:08am On Dec 24, 2021
If U like wish, if u like no wish, e no change the price of turkey for market.

114 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Nadaken: 1:34pm On Dec 24, 2021
It won't stop Mohamed Salah from celebrating
it

It won't stop almajiris from lining up in hundreds at every church looking for Christmas rice

239 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Nadaken: 1:35pm On Dec 24, 2021
sorextee:
leave the Werey

Na abokis dey even happy pass for Christmas, Dem no dey celebrate Christmas but fit sell Christmas meat for kufir celebration

125 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Abdulrahman114(m): 7:56am On Dec 25, 2021
Nadaken:
it.
Which Muhamed Salah?
You be ignorant person ooh.

2 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by advocatejare(m): 2:39pm On Dec 25, 2021
Lukgaf:

The Prophet of Allah is the best of mankind and also enjoys being good to all the creatures of Allah, whether a Muslim or non-Muslims (including the animals).
Lying for Muhammad as usual

Muhammad ordered dogs to be killed for no reasons

Sahih al-Bukhari 3323
Narrated `Abdullah bin `Umar:
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) ordered that the dogs should be killed.

Muhammad promised to expel Christians from the Arab peninsula:

Jami` at-Tirmidhi 1606
Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab:
That the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: "If I live - if Allah wills - I will expel the Jews and the Christians from the Arabian Peninsula."

Muhammad said Muslims should not greet Christians, Muhammad promoted hate:

Sahih Muslim 2167 a
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:
Do not greet the Jews and the Christians before they greet you and when you meet any one of them on the roads force him to go to the narrowest part of it.

If you are a non-Muslim reading this and you have friends who do not send you wishes during the festival, I hope you will understand this and not think your friends do not care about you. Also, don't tag Muslims as extremists and bigot because of this.
We are not angry after all many of us don’t eat your Ram you kill during Eid Al-Adha because it’s a meat sacrificed to idol, just like the ogun worshippers sacrifice dogs to Ogun

87 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Truthissupreme: 11:52pm On Dec 28, 2021
I was expecting where in Quran or hadeeth it mentioned "do not celebrate non Islamic events"

Mohamed used to perform and celebrate activities of pagans before he borrowed it as his

Sunan Abi Dawud 1946

Abu Bakr sent me among those who proclaim at Mina that no polytheist should perform Hajj after this year and no naked person should go round the House (the Ka'bah)
, and that the day of greater Hajj is the day of sacrifice, and the greater Hajj is the Hajj.

25 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Thanos5555: 11:31am On Dec 31, 2021
shocked

!!!HYPOCRISY!!!

Why are you selling meat for Christians to celebrate Christmas, is it not enabling them to Serve thier God more than wishing them happy Christmas

67 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by eburuu: 11:35am On Dec 31, 2021
Why always islam...is it only Muslims that do not wish christen a happy Christmas what of other christen organization that do not believe in Christmas nor celebrate critsmas

6 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by mmsen: 11:37am On Dec 31, 2021
I know muslims who celebrate xmas, they do more for xmas than a lot of non-muslims. It's very peculiar.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by hert2020: 11:42am On Dec 31, 2021
All these Islamaphobes. Why come on a muslim forum to insult unless you are insecure. So because Mo Salah celebrates xmas, all muslims should follow him blindly? We follow the teachings of the Quran and not a man. Don't judge the religion by the actions of few but by its teachings.
Problem is that many people are ignorant about Islam and look for any thing to hate.
Will shock them to know that Islam is growing worldwide.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Alamkir: 11:44am On Dec 31, 2021
This is just Extrimism... Caused by poverty. It is not a sin to congratulate non Muslims during their festival. Its not in the Quran. And Allah doesn't care who you congratulate, he just want u to do good and be just to ur fellow human being. Remember
No matter how much u worship Allah if you are not just and do good u will goto hell

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Amodi470(m): 11:45am On Dec 31, 2021
I hope they will understand
Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by bolabadmus38: 11:46am On Dec 31, 2021
Islam for those who understands it very well is a very peaceful religion. One thing we should remember is that Nigeria is a secular country where people chooses and practice the religion of their choice. If a Christian family friend invites you to come and celebrate with him, personally I don't see anything wrong with it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Mamijoh(f): 11:49am On Dec 31, 2021
RoyalBoutique:
There's hunger in Africa.

If you see where to eat, go and eat.
Thank you my dear

7 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by tuna85: 11:49am On Dec 31, 2021
To all those commenting above me,

op has dished the bitter truth, it's left for you to either choose what is good or you choose the other side.

5 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by hert2020: 11:50am On Dec 31, 2021
Thanos5555:
shocked

!!!HYPOCRISY!!!

Why are you selling meat for Christians to celebrate Christmas, is it not enabling them to Serve thier God more than wishing them happy Christmas

Common sense will show that they do not only sell meat on xmas but throughout the year.
If they specifically sold it on xmas day, then you have a point, but you don't.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Mamijoh(f): 11:50am On Dec 31, 2021
sorextee:
Don't mind them

1 Like

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Mamijoh(f): 11:51am On Dec 31, 2021
Nadaken:
it

It won't stop almajiris from lining up in hundreds at every church looking for Christmas rice
Dem know that one undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Alamkir: 11:51am On Dec 31, 2021
hert2020:
All these Islamaphobes. Why come on a muslim forum to insult unless you are insecure. So because Mo Salah celebrates xmas, all muslims should follow him blindly? We follow the teachings of the Quran and not a man. Don't judge the religion by the actions of few but by its teachings.
Problem is that many people are ignorant about Islam and look for any thing to hate.
Will shock them to know that Islam is growing worldwide.

Mo sallah didn't celebrate Christmas he only took a picture with his family and congratulate Christians. He didn't goto church or anything Its just a picture

2 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Ashirioluwa: 12:30pm On Dec 31, 2021
I am different then because I do celebrate non-Muslim festivals.

I don’t observe all these rules that only apply to the poors . This is computer age……I go with the flow.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by bankyman(m): 12:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
Lukgaf:
No doubt, we have friends, teachers and colleagues among non-Muslims. We engage and collaborate when it comes to worldly affairs. We congratulate them on their success. We have a lot of non-Muslim teachers we respect a lot - we benefitted a lot from them in terms of knowledge and experience. We do not sever our relationship with them.

In essence, Islam enjoys being good to all the creatures of Allah, whether a Muslim or non-Muslims (including the animals).

But when it comes to the issue of religion and beliefs, Muslims are encouraged not to compromise. In Islam (as it is available in other religions/beliefs), there are red lines we shouldn't cross (which are things we are prohibited from doing) and one of them is celebrating any festival (not only non-Muslim festival) not recognized in Islam. This is not limited to non-Muslim festivals but other innovated festivals in Islam, such as Mawlud Nabiyy, Islamic Calendar, etc (you see I have made some threads condemning these too).

Based on the above premise, the below thread gives an account of what Islam says about non-Muslims festivals and why Muslims should not partake in them.

If you are a non-Muslim reading this and you have friends who do not send you wishes during the festival, I hope you will understand this and not think your friends do not care about you. Also, I hope you won't tag those Muslims as extremists and bigot because of this.

https://www.nairaland.com/6330534/what-islam-says-non-muslims-holiday

I'm a Muslim and looking through the write up, there isn't any direct link to a prohibition in the subject being discussed. None of the Hadith or Quranic verses mentioned is directly talking about the subject. The conclusions are mostly inferences, I thought that in Islam, it is more of black and white and there is pardon for the matters that lie in between. I'd expect a more direct prohibition from Hadith or the Quran.

I am not against or for the topic, I just need us to be more exact in our approach so we don't make what is halaal Haram and what is Haram Halaal. Please do remember that the Ashura fast is as a result of the prophet knowing that the Jews celebrate their liberation from the Egyptian by Allah.

Also, you used kufaar so much and it is this your proves come, why aren't you calling them ahlul kitaab?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by ntyce(m): 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2021
tuna85:
To all those commenting above me,

op has dished the bitter truth, it's left for you to either choose what is good or you choose the other side.

That's not the truth...

Not backed by the Quran or a reliable Hadith.

2 Likes

Re: Why Muslims do not celebrate non-muslim festivals? by Adisa89(m): 12:41pm On Dec 31, 2021
Ok, that's good. And that means Allah is going to punish Buhari. Yeye people.

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Drawing A Picture Of The Prophet, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam / Protection Against Toilet Snakes / 40th Anniversary Of Islamic Revolution: What Are Iran Achievements?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.