Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,519 members, 7,958,573 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:38 PM

How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer (16537 Views)

Data Scientist Or A Software Developer/engineer? Which One Is More Promising? / How To Build A Successful Career As A Data Scientist / Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Swealy: 8:17am On Dec 25, 2021
Lasisieniola77:
Hello nairalands, i am so confuse right now. I just want to transistion into IT and i am confused between learning data science or becoming a software developer. I am so confuse. Help me to decide. I don't want to learn something that is not in demand. Which one is better

You need to understand there is almost no entry level job for a data scientist, it requires at least 3 years experience with high level skill set ( data wrangling, SQL, data modeling, machine learning and python)

What I will advise you to do now is to focus on data analyst jobs, then start applying data science skillset and principles to the job.

Then you can comfortably apply for a data scientist role

Trust me I am talking from experience, the market is saturated with kwak data practitioners.

You see adverts saying " become a data scientist in 2 weeks" how ?

Well that's my advice for now

9 Likes

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by HustlePro: 8:35am On Dec 25, 2021
arazanbal:
dat one go hard small for a country like naija wy still dy do 80% manual and analog computing, u nor here say dm nor want gree allow electronic transmission of results in inec una presido nor gree
oga, Nigerians in Nigeria are doing jobs in foreign companies... some are even getting exported to US lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:35am On Dec 25, 2021
Thank you so much for the feedback.
So i should focus on acquiring data analysis skills
Swealy:

You need to understand there is almost no entry level job for a data scientist, it requires at least 3 years experience with high level skill set ( data wrangling, SQL, data modeling, machine learning and python)

What I will advise you to do now is to focus on data analyst jobs, then start applying data science skillset and principles to the job.

Then you can comfortably apply for a data scientist role

Trust me I am talking from experience, the market is saturated with kwak data practitioners.

You see adverts saying " become a data scientist in 2 weeks" how ?

Well that's my advice for now
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:37am On Dec 25, 2021
I am following the thread carefully and also people review about if they get job after the training
Homeboiy:
Don’t chat that guy op

Find Ejiod and start your journey from his testimony
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:38am On Dec 25, 2021
Thank you
Tomilola360:
depends on what you know and how well you know it
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:39am On Dec 25, 2021
Hmmm.
tobillionaire:
Same here as I'm already in the field of data analysis / statistics, should I just learn big data analysis with programming languages and machine learning or start another career entirely by learning app/Web development

NB: the only softwares I can use as it stands are spss, minitab and maybe know a little excel functions
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:41am On Dec 25, 2021
Yeah, learning is not a problem if there is a place to apply one's knowledge and grow
kunki90:
You know neither of the two and you are bothered about how fast you’d get a job.

Career wise, they are both great tracks to run. If you are smart you’d be bothered with the learning aspect rather than the earning.

Pandas and numpy arrays no be beans o

#dataanalyst
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:45am On Dec 25, 2021
Thank you boss
Eddisboi:

Anyone you choose is okay, just go with anyone that pleases you and don't be afraid.Both are okay.
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:47am On Dec 25, 2021
Thank you so much for breaking it down for me. I appreciate
AliyuMahdi9:
You will have to Choose Either Data Science or Software Developer.

I don't advice you to start learn both at the same time, because thier scopes are different.

If you want to go for DATA Science(DS), I will advice you to first learn , Data Analysis(DA). Is somewhat a foundation to DS. Although alot of guys have done DS Straight. You are new to IT so I suggest you start with the foundation.

In DA you will need to learn Basics of Python Programming, not for coding purpose, but you need in the analysis of your data.

Another Basic skill you will need for DA is SQL.

The above skills will be needed in DS as well

If you decide to go with Software Developer you will need to Learn Skills in Java, JavaScript, Python ( Advance), C#, C++, Dart( Flutter) etc.

There are alot of these languages, so you make your choice

** To start getting paid as a software Developer you will need at least 1 year training, including building your portfolio to attract good paying jobs

** To get a job as an Entry Data Analyst , you will need at least 6 months including building you portfolio.

You Can teach yourself.

1. GET A LAPTOP
2. GET GOOD INTERNET CONNECTION
3. ENROLL ON COURSERA.ORG ( $14/ Month) - [7 day trial period]

4. OR ENROLL IN UDEMY.COM

---- I will recommend Coursera as they have affliction with Google, IBM , Facebook

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:50am On Dec 25, 2021
Rest. Stop judging others. No one is an island of knowledge. We all put efforts to learn at one point in our lives m
airsaylongcome:

No leave them. They just hear that IT guys are earning OK and now everyone wants to dive into IT. And dive in at the deepest end. The underlying statistics for the DS fields many of dem nor know am o. Yet they want to go into Data Science

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:53am On Dec 25, 2021
Thank you OP
Jaycee07:

Both areas are very lucrative. Regardless of where you live in the world today, software engineering and data sciences are extensively needed and are now in higher demand than ever.One word of caution tho: for you to be very efficient in big data/data scientist, you need to hone your software skills first.I would suggest that you undertake courses on packages like: beam, splunk, Apache ,python and numpy,Keri’s, and Sckitt. Once you understand the concepts of those, you’ll be rolling great.
Hit me up @ +1 972 916 0188 for additional info

All the best
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:55am On Dec 25, 2021
Thank you for the enlightenment
Zejie:
Well both jobs are in high demand and honestly they are interrelated. Any of them will be a great career and they are jobs that are not going into oblivion anytime soon
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 8:57am On Dec 25, 2021
Thank you so much for the feedback
AntiWailer:

If you are looking to pay bills quickly, start with software development.

Front end skills and back end skills

You can build on that as you continue the journey into Data Science.

He get why, I can trust a fresh graduate with my dot net core or angular or java projects but can’t trust them to do anything for me as a data scientist.

And yes I am talking as a hiring manager in the field who have recruited nothing less than 35 software engineers this year.
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Gentleman001: 9:27am On Dec 25, 2021
AntiWailer:

He get why, I can trust a fresh graduate with my dot net core or angular or java projects but can’t trust them to do anything for me as a data scientist.

And yes I am talking as a hiring manager in the field who have recruited nothing less than 35 software engineers this year.
Why can’t you trust them please?
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Ugaboy: 10:11am On Dec 25, 2021
tobillionaire:
Same here as I'm already in the field of data analysis / statistics, should I just learn big data analysis with programming languages and machine learning or start another career entirely by learning app/Web development

NB: the only softwares I can use as it stands are spss, minitab and maybe know a little excel functions

Well, I'm in the field of data science,

U need
1. python/R
2. Excel/SPSS
3. POWERBI/Table
4. SQL

this are the four skills that make u a data scientist.

Currently...I'm on python and machine learning, done with tableu and excel

2 Likes

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by mustaphagreens(m): 10:40am On Dec 25, 2021
kunki90:
You know neither of the two and you are bothered about how fast you’d get a job.

Career wise, they are both great tracks to run. If you are smart you’d be bothered with the learning aspect rather than the earning.

Pandas and numpy arrays no be beans o

#dataanalyst

add tensors to the list
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by AliyuMahdi9: 10:48am On Dec 25, 2021
I am not so vast in Business Analysis, but acquiring it will give you an edge as Data Analyst.

Four years is more than enough time to acquire both Business Analysis and Data Analysis Certifications.

Coursera offers courses in Business Analysis, check or the one that you want to enroll in.

Facebook is offering a Marketing Analytical course on Coursera, you can begin with, which is very close in some way to Business Analysis
NOTE: you will need to also learn some basic Python programming.

UTILITYMAY:

Here I see someone who understands the fields so much. So apt.

Please, I'll like you to put more light into my academic plan if it looks cool. I am already planning to start with Business Analysis while I transition into Data Science (Data Analytics). Meaning that I want to be proficient in both Business Analysis and Data Analysis. I am giving myself a four year plan to achieve these. What are your thoughts? Please I'll appreciate your depth explanation (similarities, differences, advantages and disadvantages of combining both, etc). Regards!

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by AliyuMahdi9: 10:49am On Dec 25, 2021
You're Welome Sir

Lasisieniola77:
Thank you so much for breaking it down for me. I appreciate
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Hollysaint: 11:12am On Dec 25, 2021
I'm also interested.
I'm about to start learning pyton for now.
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Perriton(m): 11:38am On Dec 25, 2021
Btw Am a Professional software developer and this is what i know

The fact is Many are called few are chosen. IT skills choose people not the other way round

Dont Learn Programming or data science.
The fastest way to be a programmer or data scientist is to execute multiple project.

Learning programming without a project is like playing football without a goal post. You will end up trying to know everything and cramming codes

Finally there is no shortcut programming takes years and sweat to be a professional.

Certain things must take time .You cant produce a baby in a month by getting 9 women pregnant
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by UTILITYMAY(m): 11:58am On Dec 25, 2021
AliyuMahdi9:
I am not so vast in Business Analysis, but acquiring it will give you an edge as Data Analyst.

Four years is more than enough time to acquire both Business Analysis and Data Analysis Certifications.

Coursera offers courses in Business Analysis, check or the one that you want to enroll in.

Facebook is offering a Marketing Analytical course on Coursera, you can begin with, which is very close in some way to Business Analysis

Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind input. I'll explore the mentioned platforms.
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by AliyuMahdi9: 12:02pm On Dec 25, 2021
you're welcome sir

UTILITYMAY:

Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind input. I'll explore the mentioned platforms.

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by allgoodlight(m): 4:33pm On Dec 25, 2021
Perriton:
Btw Am a Professional software developer and this is what i know

The fact is Many are called few are chosen. IT skills choose people not the other way round

Dont Learn Programming or data science.
The fastest way to be a programmer or data scientist is to execute multiple project.

Learning programming without a project is like playing football without a goal post. You will end up trying to know everything and cramming codes

Finally there is no shortcut programming takes years and sweat to be a professional.

Certain things must take time .You cant produce a baby in a month by getting 9 women pregnant

You are so on point bullet of truth I believe your experience speaks for you so Loud. This is one of the best comment so far on this particular topic. May God bless you abundantly and your family too. Remain bless Perriton you are a Genius.

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by haryomikun(m): 8:08pm On Dec 25, 2021
AntiWailer:

Are there real data science jobs in Nigeria? Plus how much do they pay and do you think the industry will boom in Nigeria?

Also what do new data scientists start up as? Data analysts?
Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by haryomikun(m): 8:18pm On Dec 25, 2021
Lasisieniola77:
I am following the thread carefully and also people review about if they get job after the training

I’ve been seeing your posts and I deduced that you’re serious so I’ve decided to help a bit.

I became a data analyst about a month ago although I haven’t applied for any jobs because I have one that’s taking my time (in another field though)

If you decide to become a data scientist first, you’d best become a data analyst first. You’ll need three skills:

Excel
Power BI or Tableau
MySQL

For Excel, search Excelisfun on YouTube and navigate to his beginner video playlist. Then you can later move to his Data Analysis playlist

For Power BI, search on YouTube, and download one of those 1-3hr Power BI tutorials

For MySQL, get that on YouTube too from Mosh Hamedani (can’t really remember the name)

Excel learning takes 2-4 weeks depending On how fast you are

MySQL takes like 3 days with practice

Power BI takes like a day or two with practice. However, if you want to go deeper with DAX and those other stuff, you’ll take weeks

Real Data Science requires knowledge of statistics, probability, and a few other stuff. However you can become an intermediate data scientist with only Python. You can search IBM Data Analyst course on Coursera dot com to get certified and go through Python courses

Cheers!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by haryomikun(m): 8:20pm On Dec 25, 2021
Lasisieniola77:

Following up on my previous post, About getting a job, you can get a job in any field so far you start up on Fiverr dot com. Just follow the field that’s less saturated

I’ve used Fiverr before and earned over $150 in my first month. Fiverr can make u rich instantly if you’re dedicated with the website

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 6:56am On Dec 26, 2021
Thank you!!!
haryomikun:

I’ve been seeing your posts and I deduced that you’re serious so I’ve decided to help a bit.

I became a data analyst about a month ago although I haven’t applied for any jobs because I have one that’s taking my time (in another field though)

If you decide to become a data scientist first, you’d best become a data analyst first. You’ll need three skills:

Excel
Power BI or Tableau
MySQL

For Excel, search Excelisfun on YouTube and navigate to his beginner video playlist. Then you can later move to his Data Analysis playlist

For Power BI, search on YouTube, and download one of those 1-3hr Power BI tutorials

For MySQL, get that on YouTube too from Mosh Hamedani (can’t really remember the name)

Excel learning takes 2-4 weeks depending On how fast you are

MySQL takes like 3 days with practice

Power BI takes like a day or two with practice. However, if you want to go deeper with DAX and those other stuff, you’ll take weeks

Real Data Science requires knowledge of statistics, probability, and a few other stuff. However you can become an intermediate data scientist with only Python. You can search IBM Data Analyst course on Coursera dot com to get certified and go through Python courses

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 6:56am On Dec 26, 2021
Gracias!!!
haryomikun:

Following up on my previous post, About getting a job, you can get a job in any field so far you start up on Fiverr dot com. Just follow the field that’s less saturated

I’ve used Fiverr before and earned over $150 in my first month. Fiverr can make u rich instantly if you’re dedicated with the website

1 Like

Re: How Fast Can I Get A Job As A Data Scientist Or Software Developer by Lasisieniola77(m): 7:06am On Dec 26, 2021
Yes, i am following closely on this thread. With your help and some other people have been able to make a decision. Thank you.
AliyuMahdi9:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Working Law Religiously For Self And Family At ₦225,000 Monthly / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / What's Affecting My Productivity? My Mindset, My Location, Or My Village People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.