Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. - Programming (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. (32977 Views)

Dear Developers: How Do You Keep Yourself Motivated. / Share Your Remote Job Experience As A Developer / Nigerian Developers How Did You Master Algorithm And Problem Solving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ofadaman(m): 11:26am On Nov 30, 2022
Lannister360:

You're right, it should throw an exception, but you could have passed your message more politely, I don't think the guy you quoted is trying to show off.

My bad, I didn't want to sound that way, I've apologized

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Lannister360: 1:01pm On Nov 30, 2022
If you need a Java or JavaScript tutor in Lagos holla, I do physical one on one and online training.
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Lastbornbuns: 5:35am On Dec 01, 2022
Ofadaman:

LoL ,I wonder why people think DS is tech. It's not tech, you're an analyst, and you do more business related tasks than core coding.
If you say so.

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by TastyFriedPussy: 11:35am On Dec 01, 2022
Ofadaman:

Okay because JavaScript seems to be more difficult than python lol.

Especially with the way it dynamically convert data structures. It's the only language I know where 1 + '1' gives you 11.
just dey talk nonsense. You just open mouth dey cap rubbish. Do you even know what data structures are? Just dey talk nonsense.
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ofadaman(m): 4:25pm On Dec 01, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
just dey talk nonsense. You just open mouth dey cap rubbish. Do you even know what data structures are? Just dey talk nonsense.

Yes, sir I know what days structures and algorithms are. And I believe much more than you do
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Melbrom(m): 1:41pm On Dec 02, 2022
Ofadaman:

Here are some good links to help

1) An MIT course on blockchai, the guy teaching it now works for the SEC lol
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUl4u3cNGP63UUkfL0onkxF6MYgVa04Fn

2) this NPtel course also
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHRLZtgrF2jl8yqucJsMFqh5XpRLTgCI4

Books.
3) Mastering blockchain 3rd edition
4) The bitcoin standard
5) The blockchain developer

Do not jumo into coding without knowing what blockchain is all about, once you are done in understanding what decentralized systems are, hyperledger, DAPs, DAOs, Defi, Consensus algorithm, Byzantine fault, Peer2peer system , shardings, etc.. you be a more well grounded web3.0 or blockchain developer.

concept first, then coding next.
please, can I get the third edition of mastering blockchain? I can't find 3rd edition only 2nd
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ahmedie28(m): 3:48pm On Dec 02, 2022
Good topic
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 2:47pm On Dec 09, 2022

Skip: You can learn from being an intermediate in 3 months.
If you're an absolute beginner, 6 months or more will do.

Well, my first remote gig was 1/4 of a mil /month naira equivalent. It was a short 2 and half month process.

I would never have learnt C# or .Net. I would stick to JavaScript and all the shades of it.
Then, I'll adopt Google Dev Ecosystem rather than Microsoft.
How did you get it?
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 2:53pm On Dec 09, 2022
CotenantNIG:
mine
i have two remote jobs as a marketing manager

i got referred by a friend for one in the usa
Earn commission 12%
i was reluctant for this earlier but my friend made me see reasons that it was better

while the other is from uk , i got an email from them concerning building a website
Saw their whatsapp line, sent them a message on how i can handle their email marketing and i was offered a job
this comes with a salary
Hi, wher do you search for your jobs?
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 2:55pm On Dec 09, 2022
Ofadaman:
First job: 2,700$ monthly
Skills: Full stack web dev and web 3.0

JavaScript, html/css , react, Django ,python, databases (four actually) , php, nodejs , java

Moved into data science and engineering
First job: 3,120$ monthly
Skills: AI/ML, MLops, data engineering

Python, R, Pyspark, tensor flows , sql, stats/maths,and ML algorithms, deep learning, image recognition, AI, reinforcement learning ,graphs.

Moving into Blockchain now

Skills needed: Solidity ,web 3.0, blochchain dev, hyper ledgers and cryptography
Exp. Pay:. 8,500$ monthly
Hi, please how do you search for your companies, and please is web dev vacancy available in your company, that you can connect me

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2022
Lindner:

I got my first job within the first 4 months of learning. $10/hour. Do not despise the days of small beginnings. grin

I don't think I would do anything differently. I was mentored by experts.
Please what's your field, and how do you search for jobs?
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 2:59pm On Dec 09, 2022
Alusiizizi:
Freelance. Pay was paltry and inconsistent at first, but after a 2 years or so, I have many steady, well paying clients and now have time for almost nothing else. I usually expect $4000~$5000 monthly. Some months lower/higher than others. Most of my work is strongly numerical and there's quite a bit of data science. Occasionally some web development. I have a product that I've been working on for a few months now, hopefully I'll be done with it by the end of next month and with good enough marketing I dream of fetching $1000,000 every month.
Hi, please how do you search for jobs, and is there any web dev role available
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 3:03pm On Dec 09, 2022
IamE:

IT world is broad. If your pay is less than 10k USD annually. Someone somewhere is cashing 100k annually
Which site is this?

1 Like

Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by IamE: 3:51pm On Dec 09, 2022
Viraltrends123:
Which site is this?
Indeed. Co. Uk
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2022
IamE:

Indeed. Co. Uk
Thanks, please incase there is any vacancy for web dev(full-stack), please let me know
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Ofadaman(m): 8:13pm On Dec 09, 2022
Viraltrends123:
Hi, please how do you search for your companies, and please is web dev vacancy available in your company, that you can connect me

Few ways
1) Have a strong profile on GitHub, stackoverflow , linkedin and other communities

2) Have a blog where to you write about tech
3) Don't go about searching instead reach out to know about solutions you have to problems you perceive ,it helps you get the job and even negotiate better
3)
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 9:58am On Dec 11, 2022
FanOfMyself:

The USA and Poland ones are gone as I did not make the cut.
I am still waiting for the Colombian...
Though I work for a company here in Nigeria as a full-stack dev.
Yeah, we keep on pushing!
Hi, is there any job placement at your company or anywhere for a full stack web dev role, how can i reach you please!
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Viraltrends123: 10:00am On Dec 11, 2022
TheManOfTheYear:
Oh okay, I guess you're not really a junior.
I'm currently on an interview with a Europe based company, they gave me a take home test.
React.js (Frontend)
Hi, how was the journey so far!!!
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Saverin: 10:43am On Dec 27, 2022
slapandfall:
Quite a number of options.
1. LinkedIn : For me, i prefer applying on the company's career page directly. So after seeing the ad on Linkedln, i go the company website, view their career page and apply from there.

Atleast to avoid Linkedln (man in the middle).

Most times, the career page is under "About Us" or on the footer. Sometimes on its own though.

2. Here is a list of companies Hiring at least in Europe (i compiled it in 2020)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WMjwxMXcsIycNxcAfxzdiGtEcRKsRs6izIRZ-O15IbQ/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully it helps someone. NB: it is not an exhaustive list.

Open the careers page, check for roles you fit in, apply directly on the career's page.

3. Be open for interviews,

4. You can even relocate to Europe based on job once you are employed. Pretty easy.

5. Recommendations from friends and Good luck
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Saverin: 11:01am On Dec 27, 2022
FanOfMyself:

One was a React app that basically does CRUD. The company provided an API endpoint. Though I was told specifically to use Redux for state management.

The Second one was specifically a vue app and it's quite complex. I have to search for images matching words entered in a search field and do some mapping. After which I will generate an invoice using the company's in-house API.
Quite complex!

The third was an app for streaming musical beats with waveform visualisation. No preferred language but I used VueJs because that's my preferred framework.
Re: For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 28, 2022
Ofadaman:
First job: 2,700$ monthly
Skills: Full stack web dev and web 3.0

JavaScript, html/css , react, Django ,python, databases (four actually) , php, nodejs , java

Moved into data science and engineering
First job: 3,120$ monthly
Skills: AI/ML, MLops, data engineering

Python, R, Pyspark, tensor flows , sql, stats/maths,and ML algorithms, deep learning, image recognition, AI, reinforcement learning ,graphs.

Moving into Blockchain now

Skills needed: Solidity ,web 3.0, blochchain dev, hyper ledgers and cryptography
Exp. Pay:. 8,500$ monthly

Hello sir I send u a PM

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Microcontrollers / What Is Computer Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.