Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? (12979 Views)

Well Paid Teaching Job Vacancy... / Vacancy For A Well Paid Job / Top 10 Well Paid Jobs In Nigeria - Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Sonicroyel: 7:48pm On Dec 27, 2021
ipobarethieves:
sad it depends on school u Dey do ur teaching .i knw a Tisa in Festac currently building her own sch/house from the proceeds of her salary.

Abeg link make I go apply
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Sheuns(m): 7:53pm On Dec 27, 2021
tosyne55:
Not government school teachers, they are well paid, even than civil servants

A level 08 teacher in Lagos state receives approximately 68,000 naira monthly. That is not well paid.

I used Lagos as case study cos that’s the state that pays highest salary in the entire country.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Richy419: 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
My mum was a teacher I do love teaching but currently am only doing it just to get by ads I can't afford to be idle but what I see is most people or the society doest value education since there are a lot of short cut to get qualification and ultimately to get rich so what then I once heard a student doctor in her final year when asked by a friend of mine if she become a doctor and any of her child wishes to become one will she help him or her cut corner so as to achieve his or her aim of becoming a doctor and she said yes without hesitation
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Goldbw122(m): 7:58pm On Dec 27, 2021
That is why they have multiple jobs when they are in the era of teaching... Like people use to say the reward of a teacher is in heaven well for me, I say God bless our teacher..
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by sageb: 8:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
ModelLook:
When I finished University after getting a B.Sc in Geography and Planning, I applied to teach in a Secondary School.
(Forget the Planning attached to the course, it's all propaganda to make the course look professional. We don't plan anything).

The first school said they wanted to pay me between N15-N19K per month. I refused and left.

The second school said they will pay me N22K per month. I also refused and left.

I went for service. Was posted to teach in a Missionary School at Ilaro in Ogun state. Their students school fees was N150,000 per month.
The principal was paying me just N5K per month. According to him, Ogun state govt told them (School Owners) to pay Corpers that amount (N5K Per Month) and after all, we were being paid N19,800 as Alawee.

In that school, the principal gave me all the classes to teach. I taught Geography (SS1 -SS3) and Agricultural Science (JSS1 to JSS3). I was practically teaching the whole school. I was so over worked with little pay. After school around 5pm ehn, I will almost feel like collapsing on the ground everyday.

After NYSC, I refused to teach again.

Teaching in a country like Nigeria takes PASSION. If you don't have passion for teaching, you will hate your life.

Why because the GOVERNMENT is part of the problem why teaching is the way it is in Nigeria. Then School Owners Capitalise on them.

The Government And School Owners Are The Reason Why Teaching Is Not Well Paid.

Also remember, PASSION CAN NEVER PAY THE BILLS. MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND.

If you/we complain now, they will reply " A Teacher's reward is in heaven".
In saner clime, Teachers are respected and well paid.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Jokerman(m): 8:01pm On Dec 27, 2021
I know a school at Ikorodu where pupils pay 5K per term.... how do you expect the school owner to pay minimum wage?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 27, 2021
VTJN:
Passion doesn't pay bills o my brother

I was a very good tutor right from my high school days till college. I was exceptionally good at bringing out the best in oneself. All my circle back then in college, no matter how dumb they are, all bagged 2.1

No doubt, i had the dexterity of a good and exceptional tutor. I self sponsored myself through school as a tutor, taking students. My course mates inclusive. I can't imagine the meagre pay most schools offer her staffs. Academy staffs in particular. Can't even wrapped my head over it

I love teaching no doubt. I've got sumptuous of feedback from friends and different people suggesting i go into academics. However, in today's Nigeria. One needs to attain a certain academic prowess. At least, a masters degree before being considered. Moreover, schools had stopped retaining her best brain unlike how it's being obtainable back then. I dare not consider masters degree now when i can't even feed myself

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of teaching with paltry payment

Very few ivy league schools offer something reasonable and substantial. Hence, it's always hard to come by

Eyah, sorry about your predicament. You have chosen not to go into academics and I applaud you for that, you are thinking in the right direction. Just recently, my eyes opened and I came to the realization that Intelligence and hard work will keep you surviving but you need more than that to be successful financially. You have to position yourself in a business or career that people pay highly for, It's not ONLY about how much work you put in, It is also about how do people value what you are doing. When people don't value your work and you keep trying your best, you'll still end up with nothing.

You are into business, research ways you can sell your Poultry farm ideas to people. If you feel your current business isn't bringing you money, please leave that business and start a new one. If you need to leave your environment, please relocate.

There is also a thread by Champagnemami talking about making cool bucks as a teacher in Dubai: https://www.nairaland.com/5571670/experience-living-working-uae/11#84780187 Teaching is a profession respected in other countries, Nigeria is just a shit hole. So research well.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by damosade(m): 8:11pm On Dec 27, 2021
I know a teacher (nur/pry school) earning 650k monthly.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Amanda4life: 8:12pm On Dec 27, 2021
KulHeadedHuman:
I'm seriously thinking why the teaching profession isn't well rated in terms of welfare packages. Teaching should be a noble profession held up high, but that's not the case in my country. I'm personally a lover of the teaching profession, was in it for about 5years, left it for 'greener pastures' and now feel like coming back home. The question remains 'to what end'? In the end, passion wouldn't pay bills. How do we change this narrative??

SOME PRVATE SCHOOL TEACHER s WEre NOT PAID DECEMBER SALARY
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by vickydevoka(m): 8:13pm On Dec 27, 2021
isaiah4life:
That's the bane of our society. I earn 15k in a private school (name withheld) Which is not even consistent.

The school administrator look for means to deduct ones salary. He also complains of student not paying their fees.

I am tired of the work. I volunteer for some NGOs to gain experience, augment the meagre salary and save up the inconsequential stipend one receives in order to pay house bills and my little brother's bill as well.

This educational hiccup has stunted it growth.

God knows I am still there because of no better offers and to pay bills.

One day I hope to japa like you OP.
Better Japa leave de country.
I'm being paid 40k for lesson in Abuja buh the insult I receive made me to leave.
Abuja lessons plenty buh most parents are insulting..
If u can take insult n u know how to calm your nerves ( especially on women), you will make above 100k. Me if u insult me that's the end.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Rilwayne001: 8:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
When supply is greater than demand, prices will fall.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by vickydevoka(m): 8:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
VTJN:
Passion doesn't pay bills o my brother

I was a very good tutor right from my high school days till college. I was exceptionally good at bringing out the best in oneself. All my circle back then in college, no matter how dumb they are, all bagged 2.1

No doubt, i had the dexterity of a good and exceptional tutor. I self sponsored myself through school as a tutor, taking students. My course mates inclusive. I can't imagine the meagre pay most schools offer her staffs. Academy staffs in particular. Can't even wrapped my head over it

I love teaching no doubt. I've got sumptuous of feedback from friends and different people suggesting i go into academics. However, in today's Nigeria. One needs to attain a certain academic prowess. At least, a masters degree before being considered. Moreover, schools had stopped retaining her best brain unlike how it's being obtainable back then. I dare not consider masters degree now when i can't even feed myself

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of teaching with paltry payment

Very few ivy league schools offer something reasonable and substantial. Hence, it's always hard to come by
Most ivy school needs referrals
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
wolesmile:
Everything about the teaching profession, which, in all righteousness, ought to be a noble profession, makes people abhor the teaching profession. The way they are treated with disdain, the way they dress, the disregard for them even by their students. People tag them "Ordinary teacher."

No wonder they don't care about instilling morals and discipline in their wards again.
I once taught in a private school, and I pray I never go back to that profession again, despite being a natural when it comes to teaching.

It depends on how you carry yourself. No one will refer to you as ordinary teacher when you walk with an air of confidence.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by zedegit: 8:19pm On Dec 27, 2021
ModelLook:
When I finished University after getting a B.Sc in Geography and Planning, I applied to teach in a Secondary School.
(Forget the Planning attached to the course, it's all propaganda to make the course look professional. We don't plan anything).

The first school said they wanted to pay me between N15-N19K per month. I refused and left.

The second school said they will pay me N22K per month. I also refused and left.

I went for service. Was posted to teach in a Missionary School at Ilaro in Ogun state. Their students school fees was N150,000 per month.
The principal was paying me just N5K per month. According to him, Ogun state govt told them (School Owners) to pay Corpers that amount (N5K Per Month) and after all, we were being paid N19,800 as Alawee.

In that school, the principal gave me all the classes to teach. I taught Geography (SS1 -SS3) and Agricultural Science (JSS1 to JSS3). I was practically teaching the whole school. I was so over worked with little pay. After school around 5pm ehn, I will almost feel like collapsing on the ground everyday.

After NYSC, I refused to teach again.

Teaching in a country like Nigeria takes PASSION. If you don't have passion for teaching, you will hate your life.

Why because the GOVERNMENT is part of the problem why teaching is the way it is in Nigeria. Then School Owners Capitalise on them.

The Government And School Owners Are The Reason Why Teaching Is Not Well Paid.

Also remember, PASSION CAN NEVER PAY THE BILLS. MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND.

Why didn't you apply for reposting to another school?
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by vickydevoka(m): 8:19pm On Dec 27, 2021
tosyne55:
Not government school teachers, they are well paid, even than civil servants
Well paid u said.ask Nigerians teaching I'm china how much they are being paid. Above 700k with free accommodation. Just for teaching English

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by vickydevoka(m): 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2021
Jokerman:
I know a school at Ikorodu where pupils pay 5K per term.... how do you expect the school owner to pay minimum wage?
Those schools do have population
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by isaiah4life(m): 8:22pm On Dec 27, 2021
Comrade, you are like me. I hate insult. I stopped lesson because of this same reason. They will insult my life and the children will be doing well in school on the other hand. They constantly reminded me of how messed up I was.

I took the blows because I was after the white paper. But as times goes on, I had to bow out. I am still hustling this because of my little brother school fees and house bills.

I am planning on applying for scholarships this 2022.

vickydevoka:

Better Japa leave de country.
I'm being paid 40k for lesson in Abuja buh the insult I receive made me to leave.
Abuja lessons plenty buh most parents are insulting..
If u can take insult n u know how to calm your nerves ( especially on women), you will make above 100k. Me if u insult me that's the end.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by ModelLook(m): 8:27pm On Dec 27, 2021
zedegit:

Why didn't you apply for reposting to another school?

That was my second school. I was reposted there. First school was far worse. I mean worse. I can't begin to tell.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by erico2k2(m): 8:28pm On Dec 27, 2021
KulHeadedHuman:
I'm seriously thinking why the teaching profession isn't well rated in terms of welfare packages. Teaching should be a noble profession held up high, but that's not the case in my country. I'm personally a lover of the teaching profession, was in it for about 5years, left it for 'greener pastures' and now feel like coming back home. The question remains 'to what end'? In the end, passion wouldn't pay bills. How do we change this narrative??
What teachers are we talking about? private or govt cos teachers are well paid in the civil service.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by zedegit: 8:32pm On Dec 27, 2021
ModelLook:

That was my second school. I was reposted there. First school was far worse. I mean worse. I can't begin to tell.

Were you writing lesson notes on the 2 subjects?
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 27, 2021
iwaeda:

Because we don't appreciate them. Our system of rewarding is absurd. Teachers are supposed to be well paid.

Life is absurd.

The world is in shambles.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 27, 2021
erico2k2:

What teachers are we talking about? private or govt cos teachers are well paid in the civil service.

Most private schools are responsible for this.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by ipobarethieves: 8:33pm On Dec 27, 2021
Mavrick2012:

Bia,did you just say "her"?

Hmmmmmm,so you believing vagina people?

The more you see the less you know about them o, just leave them alone
There are schools that pay their teaching staff above 150k.im not talking about mushrooms schools that pay miserable/pitiable 15k and even delay u in paying.Go to magodo, Amuwo/Festac axis, lekki, Vi, ikoyi/Ajah, ikeja not all these A for apple lipsrsealed cheesy schools at okoko, agege, mushin sad lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. Parents coughed out over Million to enrolled their kids in such highbrow schools. Not all girls sell their pusi.They save their money

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by erico2k2(m): 8:37pm On Dec 27, 2021
HellVictorinho3:

Most private schools are responsible for this.
Well the govt teacher are well PAID. I know this as a fact.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by erico2k2(m): 8:38pm On Dec 27, 2021
ModelLook:

Im sure you guys mean private schools
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by ModelLook(m): 8:40pm On Dec 27, 2021
zedegit:

Were you writing lesson notes on the 2 subjects?

I was writing lesson notes for the whole classes (2 Subjects...whole school) and they must be ready for submission.

The Principal marks lesson notes before paying salary of N5K each month. Sad...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by vickydevoka(m): 8:40pm On Dec 27, 2021
isaiah4life:
Comrade, you are like me. I hate insult. I stopped lesson because of this same reason. They will insult my life and the children will be doing well in school on the other hand. They constantly reminded me of how messed up I was.

I took the blows because I was after the white paper. But as times goes on, I had to bow out. I am still hustling this because of my little brother school fees and house bills.

I am planning on applying for scholarships this 2022.

My sister receives insult n she makes over 100k a month though she teaches in government school after leaving private school (she left private bcuz of how de woman sacks n subject them to servitude. They owner loves her bcus she absorbs pressure n calms her nerves).

I pray by January I will be leaving this country. 100k can take care of my bills I don't want to depend on Anybody to take care of my family even my wife. If she makes her money fine, hers is hers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 8:41pm On Dec 27, 2021
Their rewards are in heaven. I don't envy them.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by ModelLook(m): 8:47pm On Dec 27, 2021
erico2k2:

Im sure you guys mean private schools

Yes
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 27, 2021
Freelance teaching pays.....There are so many guys out there who earn above 200k in freelance teaching. Just be an expert and watch how people will seek for ur services.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by wolesmile(m): 8:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
nenyewrites:

It depends on how you carry yourself. No one will refer to you as ordinary teacher when you walk with an air of confidence.

Bro, I wasn't even referring to me. I carried myself with so much confidence. I have been in the corporate world now for more than 15 years, though.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Lilshaddy(m): 8:59pm On Dec 27, 2021
Jozibrainz99:
Freelance teaching pays.....There are so many guys out there who earn above 200k in freelance teaching. Just be an expert and watch how people will seek for ur services.

Please I am also a teacher, tell me more about this freelancing teaching, I am good at what I do 08109111237

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

4 Reasons You Don't Get Interviews After Your Job Applications / Ushering Jobs Available / Npower: Why You Were Not Selected For The Non-graduate Category

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.