Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference (16678 Views)

Yahoo Boys Spray Cash On A Pastor During Church Service / Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. / Zenan Ighodalo, Osinbajo, Fashola Speak At Ibidun Ighodalo's Night Of Tribute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by OLULAW: 9:55pm On Dec 31, 2021
Those who brought Christianity to Africa spend their time in town and city centres, holding glass of alcohol, drinking their way into the new year. Others hold engagement rings, kneeling in front of their heart throbs, seek their hands in marriage (“will you marry me?”) The countdown is followed by beautiful fireworks. Watch night service is a pure waste of time. Christians claim that God, given his immutability, never changes. If this is true, praying is pointless. Also, Christians claim that God is omniscient. If this is true, he has perfect foreknowledge of future events that he had foreordained. No amount of prayers would change what he foreknew and foreordained…ultimately, humans have no free will. After gaining the highest degree in philosophy at one of Europe’s oldest university and top three in the world, the idea of God, in my view, is the oldest scam. Happy New Year one and all.

1 Like

Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Kobojunkie: 10:02pm On Dec 31, 2021
holyfather:

Who even told you what I believe?

Don't discourage people from going to church.
You too should be there.
See you next year!
Discourage people from doing all that which is against Jesus Christ, including your churches. undecided
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by IrepChrist: 10:15pm On Dec 31, 2021
Saintinoo:

look how black men are misinterpreting scripture.

This scripture is applicable to this context.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by RevolverOcelot(m): 10:18pm On Dec 31, 2021
It makes no difference.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Kobojunkie: 10:25pm On Dec 31, 2021
IrepChrist:
This scripture is applicable to this context.
What scripture? undecided
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by brightalo1010: 10:27pm On Dec 31, 2021
IrepChrist:
For those that will seek him genuinely it is very significant. You are seeking God in the early morning of a new year.

Scriptures says
"They that seek me early shall find me"

Bring the Bible verse let me see how Jan 1st is seen as early before God.

1 Like

Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by WarriAproko: 10:45pm On Dec 31, 2021
Africa mentality of going to church

1 Like

Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:49pm On Dec 31, 2021
holyfather:

Who even told you what I believe?

Don't discourage people from going to church.
You too should be there.
See you next year!
No I shouldn't be there but with God. I should be with God and everyone else, including you, because church is not God.

So don't discourage people from coming to repentance and to God.

I would discourage people from placing church over God and repentance.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by madridsta007(m): 10:53pm On Dec 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So, you think those who Obey the Words of Jesus Christ are backsliders and unbelievers? undecided

Jesus Christ instead calls them His friends - John 14 vs 15 - 25 & John 15 vs 14 - So what do you think that makes you? undecided

Again, I understand the urge to temporary console your biting conscience.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Dec 31, 2021
madridsta007:
Again, I understand the urge to temporary console your biting conscience.
Again.....So, you think those who Obey the Words of Jesus Christ are backsliders and unbelievers? undecided

Jesus Christ instead calls them His friends - John 14 vs 15 - 25 & John 15 vs 14 - So what do you think that makes you? undecided

My conscience does not bite at all since I know I am doing what Jesus Christ Himself commands. Are you? undecided
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by mkoabiola: 10:58pm On Dec 31, 2021
Romanoff:
Nope, many people prayer no dey even reach the ceiling of the church. Na only that crossover night many dey enter church, some na only that day then dey pray sef thinking they can play God Kalo Kalo.
I don burst laugh tire
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by JOemmy(m): 11:17pm On Dec 31, 2021
It makes no difference.

Join me at winsteady and start earning over #15k monthly for just doing simple tasks like login in to ur account and sharing ads on ur FB page daily.

Ur earnings are paid directly to ur local bank account or btc wallet on request on the 8th of every month.
No minimum withdrawal amount is required.

Contact me on this WhatsApp number below for the registration link.

0 9 0 5884 68 49
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Nairanation2: 11:27pm On Dec 31, 2021
Naija is home to d most churchy & religious ppl on earth, yet, see where we are. So sad. What I've come to realise is that religion is a smokescreen for many people... To manipulate, deceive, extort & aggrandize. We're really a terrible people especially d poor. No wonder God gives us terrible, clueless & inept leaders cuz we're a reflection of our leaders. We don't have to be religious to get it right. America is great not because of their devotion to a deity or God but doing d right thing & they continue to have great leaders as opposed to our own zombie in Aso rock. I weep.
jesusjnr2020:
Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference?

It's about that time of the year again, when the churches across the nation usually record their highest attendance numbers of the year, during their cross over services.

The reason for the record attendance figures attained during these services, is mostly because many who rarely or never attend church services during the year, for some reason are also found inside church buildings on this particular night during the cross over services.

It appears they do so because they feel spending the last night or cross over service of the year was very important and makes a significant difference in their lives, regardless of how they spent the remaining part of the year after cross over service, even if they don't change their ways, or do any thing differently from how they used to do them.

However the truth is that just spending the last night or cross over service of any year in any church building would make no real difference in someone's life, except it is able to cause the person to change his ways and how he does things.

Moreover, if Christ were to come on the last night of the year, most of those inside the church buildings during the cross over service would still be left behind, so what's the point of just attending these last church services of the year, if one doesn't repent or turn away from his or her wicked ways?

What difference does it really make?

1 Like

Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by joinnow: 11:30pm On Dec 31, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference?

It's about that time of the year again, when the churches across the nation usually record their highest attendance numbers of the year, during their cross over services.

The reason for the record attendance figures attained during these services, is mostly because many who rarely or never attend church services during the year, for some reason are also found inside church buildings on this particular night during the cross over services.

It appears they do so because they feel spending the last night or cross over service of the year was very important and makes a significant difference in their lives, regardless of how they spent the remaining part of the year after cross over service, even if they don't change their ways, or do any thing differently from how they used to do them.

However the truth is that just spending the last night or cross over service of any year in any church building would make no real difference in someone's life, except it is able to cause the person to change his ways and how he does things.

Moreover, if Christ were to come on the last night of the year, most of those inside the church buildings during the cross over service would still be left behind, so what's the point of just attending these last church services of the year, if one doesn't repent or turn away from his or her wicked ways?

Can you decide God Almighty.
Most church will be filled up tonight....
Come on Sunday you won't see such faces again till hopefully 31 12 2022
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Cousin9999: 11:49pm On Dec 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You mean the social club aspect of such gatherings? undecided

No. I mean individual experiences, beliefs, and preferences.

What is wrong with going out drinking instead? undecided

It's unhealthy.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by BigBashiru: 11:50pm On Dec 31, 2021
Nairanation2:
Naija is home to d most churchy & religious ppl on earth, yet, see where we are. So sad. What I've come to realise is that religion is a smokescreen for many people... To manipulate, deceive, extort & aggrandize. We're really a terrible people especially d poor. No wonder God gives us terrible, clueless & inept leaders cuz we're a reflection of our leaders. We don't have to be religious to get it right. America is great not because of their devotion to a deity or God but doing d right thing & they continue to have great leaders as opposed to our own zombie in Aso rock. I weep.

Buhari is a great leader....
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by HardMirror(m): 11:52pm On Dec 31, 2021
Myer:

Please it serves a lot.
And I have 3 points.

1. Yes there are those that can get to a place of repentance from their home.
But there are those that need the atmosphere the church provides and the testimony of others to get to that place of repentance.

The last day of the year is significant for every human being.

You might not attend service throughout the year but some how the last day of the year makes you want to have some form of new year resolution or change of heart and the cross over can provide the right atmosphere for that.

2. Cross-over service had become a religious activity for already converted believers. So it is simply fullfiness of righteousness.

-Your parents expect you to go for cross over service.
-Your friends are all going so you dont want to be the odd one out so you also attend.
-Youre a worker in the church so you're actually expected to be there. Whether or not you want to be.

3. Cross over prayers.
While many are of the opinion that every day is the same. I believe astronomers, astrologers, agriculturists, and those who pay attention to times and seasons j understand that no 2 days are alike.
In fact zodiac signs are a proof that your birthday goes a long way to determine your personality as different from others.
Also the very fact that we have different significant seasons of rainfall,harmattan,dry season,etc shows that different days have different significance.
So clearly those who developed the calendar, having put the different seasons into considerations determined that the new year is significant.

Hence for those who determine to pray into the new year, it is a well acceptable and good religious ritual, psychological and therapeutic exercise.

That said, no matter the category you find yourself whether you recognise the cross over or not, just understand that days have different significance and the praying into the new year is not a bad idea.
Some times the prayers are answered, some times they are not. Supposedly also determined by God's pre determination for everyone
jeez. #facepalm
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by BigBashiru: 11:55pm On Dec 31, 2021
OLULAW:
Those who brought Christianity to Africa spend their time in town and city centres, holding glass of alcohol, drinking their way into the new year. Others hold engagement rings, kneeling in front of their heart throbs, seek their hands in marriage (“will you marry me?”) The countdown is followed by beautiful fireworks. Watch night service is a pure waste of time. Christians claim that God, given his immutability, never changes. If this is true, praying is pointless. Also, Christians claim that God is omniscient. If this is true, he has perfect foreknowledge of future events that he had foreordained. No amount of prayers would change what he foreknew and foreordained…ultimately, humans have no free will. After gaining the highest degree in philosophy at one of Europe’s oldest university and top three in the world, the idea of God, in my view, is the oldest scam. Happy New Year one and all.

Western europeans did not bring Christianity to Africa....
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by plaetton: 12:32am On Jan 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

A superstitious people in a superstitious society will grovel at any superstitious belief, no matter how illogical and irrational.
Once you're beholden to magical thinking, you would jump at anything that offers you magic.

1 Like

Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Myer(m): 12:40am On Jan 01, 2022
HardMirror:
jeez. #facepalm

Lol like i say, we don't all have to share the same beliefs.
We can however choose to respect everyone's belief system.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Ganiyu2021: 12:50am On Jan 01, 2022
Comrade easy grin grin grin
uthlaw:
The money contributed matters a lot!
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by madridsta007(m): 1:18am On Jan 01, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Again.....So, you think those who Obey the Words of Jesus Christ are backsliders and unbelievers? undecided

My conscience does not bite at all since I know I am doing what Jesus Christ Himself commands. Are you? undecided

Again, stop trying to twist and deflect your initial statement. That is very dishonest of you. Why do you bring dishonesty into 2022?

Your conscience is biting you based on your initial statement.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Kobojunkie: 1:23am On Jan 01, 2022
Cousin9999:
1. No. I mean individual experiences, beliefs, and preferences.

2. It's unhealthy.
1. Or what benefit is any of that if even God rejects it all, calling it vain worship? undecided

2. Alcoholic drink is unhealthy? Says who?. undecided
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Pharmboy24: 1:47am On Jan 01, 2022
Its a Christian exercise whatever you believe comes to past, for some people it might change nothing for some its a sacrifice.
Look at this at this Angle while some people will be in club and having fun in hotel and some are in a place of worship singing and praising the Lord do you think God will Ignore you, well currently i am in a church program and definitely my staying awake to praise God and sing won’t go invain..
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by dazzlingd(m): 3:07am On Jan 01, 2022
jimtemi1:
Every man with his faith... But to me, have experience changes for the 7yrs have been attending CAC baba adio ilorin kwarastate

How did u measure success..
And how do you prove that your attendance at the church was responsible for your growth.
These are baseless claims
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by jamalchance(m): 3:11am On Jan 01, 2022
Last night of 2020, I spent it chasing women
Na so I just dey shoot shots through out 2021
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Kobojunkie: 3:21am On Jan 01, 2022
Pharmboy24:
Its a Christian exercise whatever you believe comes to past, for some people it might change nothing for some its a sacrifice.
Look at this at this Angle while some people will be in club and having fun in hotel and some are in a place of worship singing and praising the Lord do you think God will Ignore you, well currently i am in a church program and definitely my staying awake to praise God and sing won’t go invain..
There is nothing Christ-ian about the exercise. And the promise Jesus Christ made was to those who belong to Him - those who live life in submission and obedience of His teachings and commandments. undecided

Your church worships are deemed an abomination by God as they are in submission to the doctrines and traditions of men, what God warned you were lies meant to deceieve you in His name. It is better to be at a club tonight or even in a hotel having fun than to be in your churches living under the delusion that you belong to God in your deceit. undecided
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by namo77: 3:35am On Jan 01, 2022
Your thread and question does not matter.
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by namo77: 3:38am On Jan 01, 2022
dazzlingd:

How did u measure success..
And how do you prove that your attendance at the church was responsible for your growth.
These are baseless claims

What gives you the right and power or authority to judge another man's life choices and beliefs.... Who are you? Or rather What do you think you are?
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by efficiencie(m): 4:09am On Jan 01, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

Not everyone who writes an exam gets admission, right? And not everyone who gets admission will eventually graduate, right? Many are called but few are chosen, right? So is the case with Crossover service. Many attend Crossover service but only a few get the needed wisdom on how to navigate the following year and even fewer obey and live in accordance with the wisdom learned in that Crossover service. Many are born but only a handful will be great...it is a choice and we all will have to make that choice!
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by Kobojunkie: 4:33am On Jan 01, 2022
namo77:

What gives you the right and power or authority to judge another man's life choices and beliefs.... Who are you? Or rather What do you think you are?
God did. He called on all or His followers to judge righteous judgments and this by judging all those who claim to belong to Him by the standard He set for them all - Jesus Christ. undecided

If your life is not Iived in submission to and obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ , you do not belong to Him - John 14 vs 15 - 25 . It is that simple. undecided
Re: Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference by namo77: 4:53am On Jan 01, 2022
Kobojunkie:
God did. He called on all or His followers to judge righteous judgments and this by judging all those who claim to belong to Him by the standard He set for them all - Jesus Christ. undecided

If your life is not Iived in submission to and obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ , you do not belong to Him - John 14 vs 15 - 25 . It is that simple. undecided

Matthew 7 vs 1: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Spoken by the lips of Jesus Christ himself.... And not your fun interpretation of scripture...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jesus Is A Prophet Of God And Not A God : Bible / Why Faith Is Bad / Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.