Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help (2172 Views)

My Honda Accord Consumes Too Much Fuel / My 2015 Ford Ranger Truck Consumes Fuel More Than Normal / My Car Consumes So Much Fuel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 11:18pm On Jan 03, 2022
I am driving a Corolla 2003, recently, I discovered that the money I use every week to fill my tank has increased tremendously for the past few weeks, I changed plugs, clean the air filter, but it still consumes 19miles per gallon, wat else can I do or check to start working like a Corolla which is known for fuel economy pls.

My pple pls help me.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 03, 2022
izaac23:
I am driving a Corolla 2003, recently, I discovered that the money I use every week to fill my tank has increased tremendously for the past few weeks, I changed plugs, clean the air filter, but it still consumes 19miles per gallon, wat else can I do or check to start working like a Corolla which is known for fuel economy pls.

My pple pls help me.

Have you checked the air- flow meter?
Ask if Corolla uses that, that might be the culprit.

And besides, which engine oil do you use?
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by coolcharm(m): 11:35pm On Jan 03, 2022
Plugs

Catalytic converter

Airflow meter

Engine
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 5:54am On Jan 04, 2022
muyoge:

Have you checked the air- flow meter?
Ask if Corolla uses that, that might be the culprit.

And besides, which engine oil do you use?

If I understand you well, air-flow meter is the air filter on the right black box in the engine bay. If that is it, I have inspected that and blow the filter at a vulcaniser machine. It's still clean and in good condition

And I use mobile 1 5w30 synthetic oil.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 5:58am On Jan 04, 2022
coolcharm:
Plugs

Catalytic converter

Airflow meter

Engine

When I scan my check engine light which always comes up in a matter of days after clearing the previous, I am always told that it is a clucked catalystic converter.
Pls if this is the culprit, how can I deal with this and what is the cost of fixing this cuz I was told by my electrician that is very expensive to fix
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by kinzey1: 7:33am On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

When I scan my check engine light which always comes up in a matter of days after clearing the previous, I am always told that it is a clucked catalystic converter.
Pls if this is the culprit, how can I deal with this and what is the cost of fixing this cuz I was told by my electrician that is very expensive to fix

are you sure your car catalyst has not been stolen?

kindly share the scan codes for us to know better
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by autologic: 7:45am On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

Missing cat on a corolla will not even cause any appreciable fuel difference so don't waste money on less significant stuff .The only way a cat can cause fuel issue if you have a restricted catalyst
Most of time, your scan dtc doesn't even reveal the direction to the issue at hand, so best way to go about troubleshooting any fuel consumption issue is checking the scan data pid list ,a trained tech will be able to recognize any flaw data compared to known good. List of scan pids associated with fuel consumption includes :fuel trim ,engine temp,engine speed, fuel system type ,calculated load etc .these are list of values that what will need to be analysed to see if they good value or not ,from these is what will lead you to the culprit .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by gulfer: 8:03am On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

My pple pls help me.
Your car may be lacking some things ranging from missing components to proper tuneup; 19 mpg = 12.38 l/100km is not so bad considering our road, traffic as well as the tires you are using..., for most cars we use in Nigeria, you cannot get the manufacturers MPG due to history of abuse.....If you get a MPG of +/- 20% i believe you're still doing great angry angry angry angry angry
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

If I understand you well, air-flow meter is the air filter on the right black box in the engine bay. If that is it, I have inspected that and blow the filter at a vulcaniser machine. It's still clean and in good condition

And I use mobile 1 5w30 synthetic oil.

You can't blow it. It is the device that determines the amount of fuel that gets mixed with air and it's an electrical device.

You cleaned the air filter not the airflow meter.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by aieromon(m): 9:07am On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

What is the error code? 19MPG is poor, very poor.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Structuralman: 2:58pm On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

Check your fuel status with your scanner. Check whether the car is running in closed loop or open loop. Scan it after driving for a while.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 7:40pm On Jan 04, 2022
muyoge:

You can't blow it. It is the device that determines the amount of fuel that gets mixed with air and it's an electrical device.

You cleaned the air filter not the airflow meter.

Pls tell me what an airflow meter is because I used to think air filter is another name for it. Pls explain.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 7:48pm On Jan 04, 2022
Structuralman:

Check your fuel status with your scanner. Check whether the car is running in closed loop or open loop. Scan it after driving for a while.

I don't seems to grab anything from close loop to open loop u are talking about. Do I have a scanner

Pls explain with english
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 8:15pm On Jan 04, 2022
Just to be sure that my calculation of 19mpg is correct,
I used 29.2 litres of fuel at a distance of 153miles
Someone can help me calculate just to be sure pls
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Structuralman: 8:27pm On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

I don't seems to grab anything from close loop to open loop u are talking about. Do I have a scanner

Pls explain with english

Whenever you start your car, it will be in open loop for some minutes until the O2 sensors kicks in. Open loop means the car is not following any instructions regarding fuel use. More fuel will therefore be consumed. Once the O2 sensors begin to work the car ECU will control the amount of fuel being used by the car using the sensors. This is closed loop and less fuel will be consumed by the car.
But please start by buying an OBD 2 Bluetooth scanner from Jumia. It's very cheap and can detect basic car faults. Simply install torque app on your Android and use the scanner to scan the car. The error codes that will be shown will give you the exact root case of your car consuming too much fuel.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 8:33pm On Jan 04, 2022
Structuralman:

Whenever you start your car, it will be in open loop for some minutes until the O2 sensors kicks in. Open loop means the car is not following any instructions regarding fuel use. More fuel will therefore be consumed. Once the O2 sensors begin to work the car ECU will control the amount of fuel being used by the car using the sensors. This is closed loop and less fuel will be consumed by the car.
But please start by buying an OBD 2 Bluetooth scanner from Jumia. It's very cheap and can detect basic car faults. Simply install torque app on your Android and use the scanner to scan the car. The error codes that will be shown will give you the exact root case of your car consuming too much fuel.

That is clear enough, thanks, I will check the OBD2 now and place order
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by aieromon(m): 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2022
izaac23:

29.2 litres = 7.7 gallons
7.7 gallons covers 153 miles
1 gallon will cover approximately 19.8 miles.

You should be getting at least 22mpg.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Peppermintflav: 12:05am On Jan 05, 2022
izaac23:

Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Nobody: 12:24am On Jan 05, 2022
izaac23:

Pls tell me what an airflow meter is because I used to think air filter is another name for it. Pls explain.

What does the colour of the smoke from the exhaust pipe look like now ?

If when you rev up while idling and the smoke looks sooty, then the airflow meter
may be the culprit.

It's also known as mass air flow (MAF). It's different from air filter.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2022
Peppermintflav:

How do u do this calculation because my own calculation gives me 19.8 miles per gallon ??
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by aieromon(m): 10:35pm On Jan 05, 2022
izaac23:

How do u do this calculation because my own calculation gives me 19.8 miles per gallon ??

The online calculator used is calibrated for imperial gallons.

1 imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallon

Your actual miles per US gallon is 19.8.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/mpg

Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Peppermintflav: 10:35pm On Jan 05, 2022
izaac23:

https://www.care4air.org/doing-your-bit/how-to-calculate-your-fuel-consumption/
Input your figures it will calculate it for you.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 10:59am On Jan 06, 2022
aieromon:

What is the error code? 19MPG is poor, very poor.

Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 11:01am On Jan 06, 2022
I got the OBD 2 device, this is my scan result

Pls gurus, interprete for me what I need to tell my local electrician to fix for me cuz he does not understand this code issues.
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Structuralman: 12:55pm On Jan 06, 2022
izaac23:

Pls gurus, interprete for me what I need to tell my local electrician to fix for me cuz he does not understand this code issues.

This is a very good start. Nice one.
Post same in the link below. The gurus will help you out.

https://www.nairaland.com/1788778/maintenance-tips-cars/368
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Dozieson(m): 2:57pm On Jan 06, 2022
izaac23:

https://www.google.com/search?q=p0440+and+p0441&sxsrf=AOaemvK2eRT22t-Dq_Hbr35N3XUcjyXCfA%3A1641477213571&source=hp&ei=XfTWYfjCII2SlwTZxq64BA&oq=&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBABGAAyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECdQAFgAYI4PaABwAHgAgAH_AogB_wKSAQMzLTGYAQCwAQ8&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp#
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2022
Structuralman:

This is a very good start. Nice one.
Post same in the link below. The gurus will help you out.

https://www.nairaland.com/1788778/maintenance-tips-cars/368

Thank you
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by izaac23(m): 6:12pm On Jan 06, 2022
Dozieson:

https://www.google.com/search?q=p0440+and+p0441&sxsrf=AOaemvK2eRT22t-Dq_Hbr35N3XUcjyXCfA%3A1641477213571&source=hp&ei=XfTWYfjCII2SlwTZxq64BA&oq=&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBABGAAyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECcyBwgjEOoCECdQAFgAYI4PaABwAHgAgAH_AogB_wKSAQMzLTGYAQCwAQ8&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp#

This was very helpful, thanks alot
Re: My Car Consumes Too Much Fuel, Pls Help by Gherrokid(m): 1:24am On Oct 22, 2022
izaac23:

Did you eventually get the scan interpreted and get the issue resolved? What corrective repairs was performed on your car to resolve the consumption issue? I'm experiencing the same issue with my car right now.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Whats The Deal With Spark Plugs? / Maintenance On My 2007 Toyota Camry. / Frequent Timing Belt Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.