Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,417 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option (17029 Views)

Terrorists Wearing Hijab Attack Police Checkpoint In Katsina, Buhari's State / 'See How Hurricane Atiku Invaded Katsina, Buhari's State' - Dele Momodu / Atiku Lands In Buhari's State Today As He Continue His Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by mabea: 10:08am On Jan 05, 2022
MT:

Restructuring is such a loose word. You need to be specifics when you are talking about restructuring. Different people and politicians have different selfish definitions for their own restructuring. When you mention restructuring, can you please be more specific what you want to really restructure because lot of people just mention the words without even understanding it.
We all know that the constitution we are operating with was designed to favour a certain region in the country. People have agitated that we return to a regional form of government whereby the people will control their own resources and develop at their own pace. So that's the kind of restructuring I'm talking about.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by ivolt: 10:08am On Jan 05, 2022
MT:

Nigerians always rush to cite example of US when it is convenient but refuse to act like the Americans as citizens. It is obvious Governors are more evil than the President. They have technically killed the Local Govt despite all interventions from different quarters, sitting on their monies and milking the LG dry.
Nonsense.
How come your governor is not sitting on your private money in the bank?

What has Governors done with the Monthly state security allocation, squander it. Having state police will create 36 different monsters in all the states. I align with the President, I am totally against it.

Why are you even calling governors instead of facing the one in your state?
Don't be a coward, face your governor.

State police is coming and nothing can stop it.

4 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:09am On Jan 05, 2022
sangresan:

You didn't take cognizance of the wise saying that, "Abuse does not take away use". The fact that state or community police could be abused by governors is not enough reason to dismiss it. It's just like saying that a baby should not practice how to walk because he or she may fall down. Have you seen a baby that starts walking immediately after birth? Probably in Buhari's world.

In better climes, the job of maintaining public law and order is often left to the states, communities and local councils. Then, there may be a federal police force for handling inter-state crimes. But in Nigeria, the contrary is the case. And we know why. Buhari's kinsmen who are roaming about our forests wouldn't try such if we have state police or community police.

If we don't start putting structures in place to deepen our democratic experience, we will continue to fumble and wobble as a nation. The ongoing security crisis in the North will be a child's play to what will eventually befell Nigeria.

Well, even in the USA, that nice arrangement is also subject to abuse well well (not just during the civil rights era, politicians can abuse the thing , and so forth)

plus, just as you argue that weakness of state police should not prevent us from having state police, weakness of national police cannot prevent us from having one.

I prefer national police, even though I would want us to have a state police because Nigerians won't pay the tax for the police to function well, and also because , based on our experience in the mid 1960's, where regional police(and the already de-facto regionalised army) stood and did nothing while pogroms happened, and because Nigerians aren't pro-human rights whatsoever.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by akigbemaru: 10:09am On Jan 05, 2022
Wiifesnatcher:
state governors will abused power bla bla, are you not abusing the one given to you? IGP and DSS are loyal to you and not to Nigerians, so what different does it make?

state police will end Fulani herdsmen stupidity in southern Nigeria, we can see the outcome with Amotekun that wasn't even given full support of policing

state police will force itself to come when we restructure, enough of one Oga calling from Abuja to released or transfered a Fulani terrorist caught to abuja

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by MANNABBQGRILLS2: 10:09am On Jan 05, 2022
Iliveforever:
If you’re a good observant, you don’t need to read the full story to know that buhari is tired.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by thinkmoney(m): 10:10am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:

Well, I meant I don't agree with him most of the time, but on state police, he is making a lot of sense....

Yesh, I consider all past and present Nigerian leaders as being awful, but when they say or do the right thing, I agree with them
Beautiful. Thanks
That was the only thing I agreed on with Buhari since a long time
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by akigbemaru: 10:12am On Jan 05, 2022
sangresan:

You didn't take cognizance of the wise saying that, "Abuse does not take away use". The fact that state or community police could be abused by governors is not enough reason to dismiss it. It's just like saying that a baby should not practice how to walk because he or she may fall down. Have you seen a baby that starts walking immediately after birth? Probably in Buhari's world.

In better climes, the job of maintaining public law and order is often left to the states, communities and local councils. Then, there may be a federal police force for handling inter-state crimes. But in Nigeria, the contrary is the case. And we know why. Buhari's kinsmen who are roaming about our forests wouldn't try such if we have state police or community police.

If we don't start putting structures in place to deepen our democratic experience, we will continue to fumble and wobble as a nation. The ongoing security crisis in the North will be a child's play to what will eventually befell Nigeria.

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:

I just stated my objections

Stating my objections does not mean you cannot have your state police.

You don't have to state your objections by bringing unverified and illogical demerit of the State Police still being practised in the US Federalism to the nomadic federalism being used in Nigeria.

One or two people from the same group can be entertaining themselves online speaking in support and against a topic to support their master. The fact remains that nomadic federalism is not a true Federalism and Federal government is basically Northern Government control of Southern resources, properties and people.

4 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 05, 2022
dat9jaguy:

You don't agree with Bubu but everything you said up there is in agreement with what Bubu said.

Well, I didn't agree with GEJ In everything, except when he provided extra funding for Nollywood, and when he also did things like strengthen AMCON and the railways, and privatized NEPA finally.

A broken clock, whatever the vintage, is right sometimes.

Bhubu is still a bad leader for me, economy and security wise.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nten: 10:12am On Jan 05, 2022
I don't think Nigeria is ripe for state policing for now. With the way Hisbah board is currently carrying out their nefarious activities in their domicile state, the way some state governor would grant pardon to a criminal who perpetuated heinous crime in another state and goes to seek harbor in his state, with the way some governor's will be giving amnesty to terrorist who have killed, maimed and rape whilst calling them "repentants", with the way partisan politics is played in the system politicians would monopolize the state police to their advantage to oppress and suppress opposition...
Mehn we are a developing nation, lets finish the process of getting it right first abeg
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 05, 2022
babaolofin:

You don't have to state your objections by bringing unverified and illogical demerit of the State Police still being practised in the US Federalism to the nomadic federalism being used in Nigeria.

Well, excuse me if you don't like my opinion.

It is still my opinion.

Stop acting like it stops you from having yours.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Ebelefrancis123: 10:13am On Jan 05, 2022
Kapinta wet no Sabi e work na swegbe......
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by JaroMan: 10:18am On Jan 05, 2022
Damidave1124:
I'm tempted to bash Buhari, but haven gone through the write up, I must say he raised some salient points.

The governors, if given the opportunity will abuse it, they'll use it to which hunt their opponents till the subdue them.

Again, the north is scared of state police, because they'll lose their grip on Nigeria at large. Each state controlling the police will not favour the born to rule people
There is no salient point. There's always excuse for a failure who has ulterior motives. If you read between the lines, you will see where he gave example of two governors who visited him and complained of the herdsmen problem. You saw his response? That is what he is protecting: the herdsmen in the South.
The organogram of the police will solve the problem that governor overbearing may pose.
The constitution will be amended to address it, so that the police will know their boundaries.
The thing that Buhari has failed to do is strengthen Nigeria institutions because he won't manipulate them if he does.
So strong institutions can shoulder any reform.

7 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 05, 2022
Sebastine1994:
I hate buhari but hiß talk make sense 100%>

When you dash governor's power without accountability, they will do and undo. State police works in America because the citizens are politically active.

State police is not the answer to our problem, but citizens speaking with one voice and we would get whatever we want in life. Trust me.

If all boys decide to speak with one voice we would end government manipulation.

Exactly.

Nigeria, in most states, there is no active media and no active civil society group, and most Nigerians see democracy as a ritual of voting every 4 years, and going home.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by ivolt: 10:18am On Jan 05, 2022
sangresan:

Good points.
Some governors don't want state police because they don't want to be blamed
for insecurity in their state.
While some citizens are against state police because the status quo favors them.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by MarveworldG: 10:19am On Jan 05, 2022
[quote author=akigbemaru post=109096324][/quote]

Good morning sir, you mentioned us
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by ivolt: 10:20am On Jan 05, 2022
dat9jaguy:

You don't agree with Bubu but everything you said up there is in agreement with what Bubu said.
That is how they are trained to deceive people.
He claimed he didn't agree in order to avoid suspicion.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:22am On Jan 05, 2022
sangresan:

Your conclusion is wrong. Nigeria once had local police up till the period of the first military coup and there was nothing like this. Of course, no human system is perfect.

And we all know what happened when the pogroms of 1966 came around...yes the local police sat down and did...nothing.

Government saw and government learned. The current federal police we have is the result.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by ivolt: 10:22am On Jan 05, 2022
dlox147:
Direct primaries would have whittled down the influence of governors on the Local government, Buhari said NO!

Now it is state police. Since we have identified the possible problems, the only thing left is to come up with ways to prevent such problems.
We can have the federal police Supervise the state police.

Why is nobody calling for total disbandment of the federal police despite all the illegalities and atrocities they engaged in over the years?

If we are to judge by problem alone, federal police should not exist.
BTW, state police need no supervision safe from establishing them.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by wizseller: 10:22am On Jan 05, 2022
That is why his dead brain cannot think

How can we create state police, create direct funding for them in the constitution and insulate it from the abuse of governors?

Is Buhari and his cabal not abusing federal police, army and DSS now

Buhari brings no creativity to governance

This is just a lame excuse with ulterior motives

Misterdhee1:
Same boring rhetorics. Bubu’s answers to critical interview questions most times put him off as someone with a closed mind. If Federal policing hasn’t solved the national security problems over the years, the only sensible thing for a leader to do is to listen to voice of reasoning and consider diversifying the system to cater for local needs. But then, it’s Buhari undecided

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Blackdisciple(m): 10:24am On Jan 05, 2022
I disagree with you baba, state policing is what we need...
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by mediainc: 10:25am On Jan 05, 2022
I don't think the states need permission from Mr President on that, the constitutional dictates on state's rights, obligations and previledges will prevail, it's a matter for the courts. It's about what our constitution says... Buhari has his own personal opinion, but this issue is not under his purview to decide.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by ugom123: 10:26am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:
I don't agree with Bubu, but state police has 3 problems for me

1. Funding. Most states don't earn enough money to fund normal stuff, talkless state police

2. And let's be honest, governors will use the state police to deal with their opponents.

3. And let's not talk about what would happen in cases of tribal and religious crisis.

The USA that had state police, during the civil rights era of the 1960s, there were times where the federal government had to intervene because the state police was heavily heavily racist ( in some instances indistinguishable from groups like the KKK)

Modified

1. Expanding further on point 1, our tax to gdp ratio is low. Less than 30% of Nigerians don't pay income tax to state and federal government. So, where are we going to find the money for state police? Is it from oil whose price jumps up and down? No, loans. Just loans.

We can't continue like this bro. No country as big as Nigeria with multi ethnic dimension runs a unitary system. This will cause problem as always.

We need to change the current system of allowing FG own more of the resources income and VAT to enable states run their affairs. States can go into business with one another. There are many resources here in every state that can be used by the state. We are just being lazy. Many of the resources we have can earn real money when sold or used for finished products. End the current ussless system that give states money they didn't work for. It can't work.
again, police should go to state. Is FG not abusing police? What kind of mumu talk is he saying. FG is also abusing police and using it against critics.
we are too scared in Nigeria to allow the mere executive to ride Nigeria like this? Who is buhari if all the governors demand for this? Governors should be given the power to be ral executive of their states and not this mere ceremonial positions that they have.

How can govenors be traveling to Abuja go always go and beg president over issues dealing with his own state and his own people and if the governors is in the black book of the ruling executive, he will be denied of vital things. This is nonsense.

What we need is regional or stage police and for the constitution to be carefully written to prevent anyone in that region or state of FG from having all the powers to manipulate it.

The current system is bloody and Wil always cause lack of patriotism. No country grows without patriotism.

See, we are so backward. Many countries in Africa already have constant and stable electricity, water and better major city plannings. We are still here with terrible electricity supply due to terrible system of govt that we run.

6 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Yadid(m): 10:26am On Jan 05, 2022
See people talking that the governors will abuse state police as if the FG is not presently abusing the Federal policing system. Will state policing serve the people better than what we currently have? Emphatic yes. Is it likely to be abused by the governors? Yes, but even the present system is being raped and abused rapaciously by the FG. The abuse argument holds no water for me.

In case you don't know the evil of this present policing system, go and watch the Magodo video with Sanwoolu yesterday. You can have officers deployed to your area by one drunken man in Abuja without you or your governor not being able to do a thing about. Plus the present system makes it difficult to prosecute corrupt officers.

How do they cover corrupt officers now? They transfer them to another state. Case closed. That will not be possible with state police in place.

State police has its flaws, but it is what is needed now. Argue against it since the Fulani herdsman menace did not touch you and your family.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by ivolt: 10:29am On Jan 05, 2022
DubaiLandLord:
What's the way out of this LG autonomy, GMB has really tried to let them have autonomy.
Buhari has done nothing meaningful actually.
Since the constitution recognizes LG, then the problem is easy.

Set up separate allocation accounts for LG.
Make a law abolishing caretaker chairman and transfer of LG allocation to the state.
Set up an anti-corruption agency to monitor LG fund usage within the LG.

With this, the LG will be as free as the state governor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Tpharell: 10:32am On Jan 05, 2022
linearity:

These are all excuses, the center is afraid of losing it’s power. No one has power gave it up willingly.
This is the basic truth! The center is afraid of loosing its power to state policing, as observed with other such proposals to strip the center (FG) of its powers. The northern hedgemony stands to lose more of its stranglehold on the country, hence the 'owners' of Nigeria would not allow that to be.
Abuse of state police by governors is inherent, just as the FG itself has been using federal police and efcc to intimidate and subdue its perceived enemies. It is however, not tenable, as it would amount to not trying out an idea due to possibility of failure.

3 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Tpharell: 10:36am On Jan 05, 2022
ivolt:

Buhari has done nothing meaningful actually.
Since the constitution recognizes LG, then the problem is easy.

Set up separate allocation accounts for LG.
Make a law abolishing caretaker chairman and transfer of LG allocation to the state.
Set up an anti-corruption agency to monitor LG fund usage within the LG.

With this, the LG will be as free as the state governor.
Thank you for this. Mr president highlighted the issues the LG have with governors even as he has clearly failed to do the needful to curb the governors excesses

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Ibrahim3307(m): 10:39am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:
I don't agree with Bubu, but state police has 3 problems for me

1. Funding. Most states don't earn enough money to fund normal stuff, talkless state police

2. And let's be honest, governors will use the state police to deal with their opponents.

3. And let's not talk about what would happen in cases of tribal and religious crisis.

The USA that had state police, during the civil rights era of the 1960s, there were times where the federal government had to intervene because the state police was heavily heavily racist ( in some instances indistinguishable from groups like the KKK)

Modified

1. Expanding further on point 1, our tax to gdp ratio is low. Less than 30% of Nigerians don't pay income tax to state and federal government. So, where are we going to find the money for state police? Is it from oil whose price jumps up and down? No, loans. Just loans.

2.We had regional police in 1966. You people know what happened that year.
I agree with you but what are the solutions?
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:41am On Jan 05, 2022
ugom123:

We can't continue like this bro. No country as big as Nigeria with multi ethnic dimension runs a unitary system. This will cause problem as always.

We need to change the current system of allowing FG own more of the resources income and VAT to enable states run their affairs. States can go into business with one another. There are many resources here in every state that can be used by the state. We are just being lazy. Many of the resources we have can earn real money when sold or used for finished products. End the current ussless system that give states money they didn't work for. It can't work.
again, police should go to state. Is FG not abusing police? What kind of mumu talk is he saying. FG is also abusing police and using it against critics.
we are too scared in Nigeria to allow the mere executive to ride Nigeria like this? Who is buhari if all the governors demand for this? Governors should be given the power to be ral executive of their states and not this mere ceremonial positions that they have.

How can govenors be traveling to Abuja go always go and beg president over issues dealing with his own state and his own people and if the governors is in the black book of the ruling executive, he will be denied of vital things. This is nonsense.

What we need is regional or stage police and for the constitution to be carefully written to prevent anyone in that region or state of FG from having all the powers to manipulate it.

The current system is bloody and Wil always cause lack of patriotism. No country grows without patriotism.

See, we are so backward. Many countries in Africa already have constant and stable electricity, water and better major city plannings. We are still here with terrible electricity supply due to terrible system of govt that we run.

1.Most African countries have bad power supply like Nigeria does. What they do is supply their urban areas at the expense of their rural areas, unlike Nigeria that tries to give power to everyone(see the map below...access to power)

Plus Nigerians are not ready to pay for 24 hour power the same way we pay for 24 hour access to GSM service. And I'll leave it at that.

2.As for police force, Nigerians aren't democratically active enough to make it work (AS Pointed elsewhere) and then when only 30% of the taxable adults pay income tax, and oil prices are going down, and will go down in the near future, funding is going to be an issue.

3.And Nigeria is an autocratic and tribal society. State police in such a society would be a disaster. (That's why most African countries don't have state police either.).

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 05, 2022
Ibrahim3307:
I agree with you but what are the solutions?

It starts with

1.Nigerians being willing to pay the taxes for good state police.

2.Nigerians being ready to pay the price for a working democratic system...including things like tolerance for all.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by monex(m): 10:43am On Jan 05, 2022
vanbonattel:
So, killings and Ethnic cleansing under a lopsided police and army is the best?

[b] Under the present circumstances, 95% of the police commissioners are fulani people. [/b]The IGP is a fulani man. Over 60% of the DPO and DCO are all fulani. And the fulani is just less than 4% of Nigeria population.

When the northerners start their killing spree in the south, they always have all the police and army protection they need because their brothers will protect and urge them on. This leads to immediate casualties and arrest of anyone that is not a northerner.

There can never be enforcement of anti grazing laws in the south because the police command structure is controlled by the same fulani that owns the cows.

There is much crime in the south because Adamus and Abduls that doesn't know anything about the terrain are in control of police formations and criminals will be running amok knowing that the Adamus knows motjing about the terrain they operate. They are just bribe collecting robots intent on checkpoint profits.

State police will help the locals who are the real stakeholders to police their domain in the way they want, nobody can do anyhow because we know his address. Police brutality will be reduced to the minimum because there will not be any Northern policeman who will shoot innocent people and get an automatic transfer back to Jigawa state where he continues him crimes.

i strongly doubt the bolded stat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Aggrieved APC Presidential Aspirants, Senators Revolt / Under-recovery: Fuel Subsidy Drops To N20 Per Litre — NNPC / Osinbajo Says Nigeria’s Problem Isn’t Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.