Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,883 members, 7,817,598 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup (36184 Views)

'Buhari's Pot': Man Constructs Pot For Cooking 2 Meals At The Same Time (Photos) / Man Set To Eat Snake Pepper Soup This Sunday , Shares Pictures - Nigerians React / What Are The Safety Measures For Gas Cooker & What Kind Of Gas Cooker Is Worse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Passionate888: 9:50pm On Jan 06, 2022
Lilsameey:
Fatality.

Please someone should clear me on this.
Someone told me the bone is dangerous, is it true?

NO
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Bleiz(m): 9:51pm On Jan 06, 2022
MondayOsunbor:

we will retrench people not sack them as in FG way

Hahahahahaha.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by chiemmanuel(m): 9:51pm On Jan 06, 2022
MARKone:
Venomous snake, coined from the word vein, is intravascular, meaning it must be carried via blood, so OP if you had accidentally injested the "poison" orally while eating your snake meat pepper soup, nothing for happen to you.
Venomous is from the word Venom, not vein
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by fineboynl(m): 9:53pm On Jan 06, 2022
Mariangeles:
So, snake bones are similar to fish bones. undecided
more flexible.

1 Like

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Dybala11(m): 9:55pm On Jan 06, 2022
vibratingpenis:

May the sweppes am taking is highing me.

My main argument is that no snake is poisonous that if it were poisonous it wouldn't be edible.

I really don't under your angle of argument at all.

But if it is okay, there is no way and place I can say that snakes carry venom in their blood, I've never thought of that in my life.
Every body knows it is stored in a modified type of salivary glands under their upper jaw, the organ is muscular because when venom is to be delivered the organ is compressed to push out some venom.
My apologies, wrongly quoted you instead of the MARKone.

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by nesgeeek(m): 9:59pm On Jan 06, 2022
isorite, continue eating it
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by vibratingpenis: 10:10pm On Jan 06, 2022
Dybala11:

I think I read it somewhere on the internet that Puff adders are venomous vipers.

All vipers are venomous and have long, hinged fangs.
Their fangs are known to be extreme fangs, which are long, hollow, hinged and rotatable, These fangs connect to venom glands located behind the eyes at the back upper part of the jaw. Venom travels down through the follow teeth to be injected into prey as the viper bites.

Vipers can rotate their fangs together or independently, which allows them to wait until the last second to erect their fangs. Their mouths can open nearly 180 degrees so the ability to rotate their fangs within that space is an advantage. When not in use, vipers’ hinged fangs fold up and lie against the roof of the snake’s mouth. This allows their fangs to grow relatively long.

Fortunately for humans in some cases, Vipers can extend their fangs and bite without injecting venom. This is known as a dry bite and is common in human snakebites. Dry bites enable vipers to conserve their previous venom, which can run out and takes a while to replenish.

Viers have a speedy strike. For example, Africa's puff adder can strike at a speed of a quarter of a second but their perceived sluggishness impacts their hunting tactics.

Most vipers are ambush predators, they detect where prey is most likely to be through heat or chemical means and just wait. Pit vipers can detect prey based on thermal signatures. These snakes have specialized heat pits on their head that are sensitive to changes in heat in their environments. The pits allow them to hone in on an animal's body heat, even in complete darkness. Other snakes, such as boas and pythons, have small multiple pits located under the scales of their lips that are sensitive to changes in temperature as well.

Snakes receive information about their surroundings by interpreting chemical signals given off by potential prey. Snakes are able to "smell" their prey by picking up chemical information with their tongues. When a snake flicks its tongue in and out, it can detect its prey's scent trail. Chemical detection is one of the first steps snakes employ in locating prey.

Other methods they use while hunting for prey are through vibration as their ear does not hear sound in the normal way and Vision and Movement Detection. Because they're not expending a lot of energy, low resting metabolic rate, and eat large things. When their prey is dead, they swallow it whole.

Vipers engage in a hunting activity called prey relocation, this means that once they have identified their prey, they strike it and inject venom. They then immediately release the prey so that it cannot bite back. The bitten prey wanders off, dies and the viper uses its sense of smell to find it.

The severity of a viper bite depends on the species and if it was a wet or dry bite, which contains no venom. European vipers (adders) have relatively moderate venom that is not highly lethal, while Gaboon vipers, which are found in sub-Saharan Africa, have highly potent venom.

Vipers in general tend to have enzymetic venom that affects general tissues, It causes intense swelling, pain and necrosis, which is cell death and decay. It also functions as an anticoagulant. Death usually occurs from a dramatic collapse in blood pressure. All viper bites should be treated seriously and medical attention should be paid.

In addition to killing prey and injuring predators, viper venom helps vipers digest their food. Since they swallow their prey whole, digesting it is a big job not helped by vipers' generally inefficient digestive systems. The venom breaks down lipids, acids and proteins in the prey during the digestive process.

Most vipers are ovoviviparous, that means the eggs are fertilise and incubate inside the mother and she gives birth to live young, but that is not true of some basal Asian pit vipers.
All New World pit vipers except the bushmaster viper have live birth. The Bushmaster viper has re-evolved egg laying."
Vipers' mating season, activities and egg incubation time depends on the species.

Culled from https://www.livescience.com/54023-vipers.html#:~:text=%22Vipers%20in%20general%20tend%20to,also%20functions%20as%20an%20anticoagulant.

More readings @

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwNkgqKjBg9BJOLEpVKMssSC0qVihLzcvPzS8tBgCf5grR&q=are+vipers+venomous&oq=are+vipers+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46i67j0i67j0i512.6174j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=which+kind+of+venom+do+vipers+have&oq=which+kind+of+venom+do+vipers+have&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l2j0i390l2.10534j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+vipers+detect+prey&sxsrf=AOaemvJGQliNpVsxC9ahG8ppEMFawZgykQ%3A1641501652659&ei=1FPXYa3VJ6aD9u8Pw5CduAw&oq=how+do+vipers+dtect+prey&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYADIHCCMQsAIQJzoHCAAQRxCwA0oECEEYAFDNC1j0FWDkIWgBcAF4AIAB5QGIAbsDkgEDMi0ymAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

Thank you.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Numerouno94(m): 10:11pm On Jan 06, 2022
vibratingpenis:

What are you calling poisonous?
Is it the venom?

Most snakes re venomous while some re equally poisonous when eaten. I.e, they upload toxins when u eat them. Like the Garter snake is toxic to eat because it's body absorbs nd stores the toxins of its prey.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by vibratingpenis: 10:14pm On Jan 06, 2022
Dybala11:

My apologies, wrongly quoted you instead of the MARKone.

I got scared at how can I make such ridiculous claim, it is very
preposterous to think so.

No Problem, we are all here to learn.

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by otabaotaba: 10:16pm On Jan 06, 2022
Lol
Snake meat, God forbid
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Dybala11(m): 10:19pm On Jan 06, 2022
vibratingpenis:

I got scared at how can I make such ridiculous claim, it is very preposterous to think so.
No Problem, we are all here to learn.
I added a screenshot of his comment too. No problem baba, we meuve.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by vibratingpenis: 10:43pm On Jan 06, 2022
Numerouno94:

Most snakes re venomous while some re equally poisonous when eaten. I.e, they upload toxins when u eat them. Like the Garter snake is toxic to eat because it's body absorbs nd stores the toxins of its prey.

PARTIALLY YES

Garter snakes were long thought to be non-venomous but discoveries in the early 2000s revealed that they in fact produce a neurotoxic venom. Despite this, garter snakes cannot seriously injure or kill humans with the small amounts of comparatively mild venom they produce and they also lack an effective means of delivering it. In a few cases some swelling and bruising have been reported. They do have enlarged teeth in the back of their mouth but their gums are significantly larger and the secretions of their Duvernoy's gland are only mildly toxic.

This is why I said your theory is partially true

Evidence suggests that garter snake and newt populations share an evolutionary link in their levels of tetrodotoxin resistance, implying co-evolution between predator and prey.
Garter snakes feeding on toxic newts can also retain those toxins in their liver for weeks, making those snakes poisonous as well as venomous

Garter snake is a common name for generally harmless, small to medium-sized snakes belonging to the genus Thamnophis in the family Colubridae. Native to North and Central America, species in the genus Thamnophis, can be found from the subarctic plains of Canada to Costa Rica.

The first garter snake to be scientifically described was the eastern garter snake (now Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis).
The genus Thamnophis was given in 1843 as the genus for the garter snakes and ribbon snakes. Many snakes previously identified as their own genera or species have been reclassified as species or subspecies in Thamnophis. There are currently 35 species in the genus, with several subspecies in some of them.

Garter snakes, like all snakes, are carnivorous. Their diet consists of almost any creature they are capable of overpowering: slugs, earthworms (nightcrawlers, as red wigglers are toxic to garter snakes), leeches, lizards, amphibians (including frog eggs), minnows, and rodents. When living near water they will eat other aquatic animals. The ribbon snake (Thamnophis sauritus) in particular favors frogs (including tadpoles), readily eating them despite their strong chemical defenses. Food is swallowed whole. Garter snakes often adapt to eating whatever they can find and whenever they can find it because food can be either scarce or abundant. Although they feed mostly on live animals they will sometimes eat eggs.

Culled from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_snake

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by GhostWisperer: 11:02pm On Jan 06, 2022
FamilyAdviser:
Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup

Yesterday we caught big Puff Addy snake and used it for pepper soup. ( SEE PREVIOUS THREAD
https://www.nairaland.com/6923837/first-time-killing-eating-snake) To be candid, it was my first of eating snake and I thought I will die but guess what ? I woke up very healthy and even stronger with nourishing skin.

Well after my Junior brother finished preparing the snake meat I begged him to list the Measures which he just did and I thought it wise to share it to my fellow Nairalanders.

Preparing snake especially poisonous ones like Puff Addy required skills else you may end up poisoning your self lol...

Firstly, when hunting for snake like Puff Addy, target the head and avoid the tail from touching u.

Secondly, after a successful hunting, cut off the head and the tails before roasting it. The poisonous venom of Puff Addy is in the head and the tails, if you didn't cut it off the venom may spill to the body and you may end up getting yourself killed.

Thirdly, it is very pertinent to roast the snake before cutting it open because if it is pregnant the little ones may bite you, roasting it will kill whatever may be inside of it.
Fourthly, remove all the instestines although some people do eat it but it safe to remove it. Aftrr slicing it to your taste, use Maggie,salt,saint leaves, spicity, ginger and add enough pepper to it.

Finally, it is safe to prepare and eat snake if only you have done it before. Don't just assume you can do it, always seek for help of snake eaters if you cut any or you follow this guidelines I listed above. Snake meat is best when you eat with your family,friends and loved ones. I can't wait to eat another snake.
between your hunger and ignorance, I don't know which is greater.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Testimony1988(m): 11:14pm On Jan 06, 2022
Hmmm, I can't.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Semaj77(m): 11:16pm On Jan 06, 2022
BigYash:
Snake men.. Una weldone o
People that eat snake.. Candidate of hell fire..
Lala sef, candidate of hell fire..
See as them eat the snake reach its bone cheesy

Even oyinbos dey chop snake

And I don't mean Chinese or Vietnamese people o

Real American whitey
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 06, 2022
Mariangeles:

Yup, same way your bones are similar to Buhari bones.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by tymicjay77: 11:39pm On Jan 06, 2022
Lilsameey:
Fatality.

Please someone should clear me on this.
Someone told me the bone is dangerous, is it true?

Is not harmful, people only say it's dangerous because of its sharpeness and pointness. If you mistakenly handle it roughly you are likely to get Injury from it.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by edward1106(m): 11:40pm On Jan 06, 2022
MARKone:
Venomous snake, coined from the word vein, is intravascular, meaning it must be carried via blood, so OP if you had accidentally injested the "poison" orally while eating your snake meat pepper soup, nothing for happen to you.
As long as he has or had no internal injuries exposing blood vessels down his gut.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Bobdaddy0007(m): 12:02am On Jan 07, 2022
Dam Niggarr
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Premiumwriter: 12:06am On Jan 07, 2022
HardMirror:
lalasticlala or which ever mod pushed this to front page is not serious at all. Who told you there is poison in the tail of a snake ?

1. You are wrong. There is no poison in the tail of any snake. Snakes are not scorpions that have stingers on their tails. Though snakes can use their tails to sort of pinch anyone holding their head. This is only if you are holding the snake while alive and the pinching is from dried scales at the end of the tail not like it is venomous at the tail it is just like a rat using its claws to scratch you it has no venom.

2. You are right about the babies biting. Even new born vipers can deliver deadly bites.

3. You did not remove the skin of the snake. Which is disgusting.

4. Poisonous animals are animals with toxins in their body delivered from touching or eating them. Venomous animals are those that sting or bite. Snakes are venomous not poisonous

He roasted the meat. In that process they will scratch the external covering.

Snakes have marks on their skin. The thin leather like covering is transparent, so removing it doesn't change the snake skin color or pattern
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by BigYash: 12:09am On Jan 07, 2022
Semaj77:

Even oyinbos dey chop snake

And I don't mean Chinese or Vietnamese people o

Real American whitey
If people dey chop dog,while can't they eat snake? Na matter of choice.. Na joke we just dey joke say them go branch hell fire... Lakoko Lazua my nigga grin
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Farfalla(f): 12:25am On Jan 07, 2022
If it moves, they'll eat it.

Some people sef. angry
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Mariangeles(f): 12:38am On Jan 07, 2022
armyofone:
Why not turn vegetarian instead of eating snake ?

Na earthworms peppersoup Nigerians will eat next ?

Snake eating is more like adventurous eating among guys, Iya mi. cheesy

It's now a trend.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Mariangeles(f): 12:39am On Jan 07, 2022
Mrkumareze:

Honestly we don dey chop snake unknowingly for years.. you see all dis Smoked fish from North, I leave the rest for you to findout cool

Say no more! lipsrsealed

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Mac2016(m): 12:41am On Jan 07, 2022
PotatoSalad:
The Igbos ate lizards during the civil war, to the extent that lizards became scarce.
Although this is uncomfortable too, I'm not surprised. People can eat anything angry
Na dog own weak me pass. Imagine eating man's best friend. cry
What about eating monkeys. Eating parts similar to humans' is so unforgivable to me. It could breed cannibalism!
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by PotatoSalad(m): 1:38am On Jan 07, 2022
Mac2016:

What about eating monkeys. Eating parts similar to humans' is so unforgivable to me. It could breed cannibalism!
Ahh I forgot that one grin

1 Like

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by ikorodureporta: 2:26am On Jan 07, 2022
grin grin grin
FamilyAdviser:
Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup

Yesterday we caught big Puff Addy snake and used it for pepper soup. ( SEE PREVIOUS THREAD
https://www.nairaland.com/6923837/first-time-killing-eating-snake) To be candid, it was my first of eating snake and I thought I will die but guess what ? I woke up very healthy and even stronger with nourishing skin.

Well after my Junior brother finished preparing the snake meat I begged him to list the Measures which he just did and I thought it wise to share it to my fellow Nairalanders.

Preparing snake especially poisonous ones like Puff Addy required skills else you may end up poisoning your self lol...

Firstly, when hunting for snake like Puff Addy, target the head and avoid the tail from touching u.

Secondly, after a successful hunting, cut off the head and the tails before roasting it. The poisonous venom of Puff Addy is in the head and the tails, if you didn't cut it off the venom may spill to the body and you may end up getting yourself killed.

Thirdly, it is very pertinent to roast the snake before cutting it open because if it is pregnant the little ones may bite you, roasting it will kill whatever may be inside of it.
Fourthly, remove all the instestines although some people do eat it but it safe to remove it. Aftrr slicing it to your taste, use Maggie,salt,saint leaves, spicity, ginger and add enough pepper to it.

Finally, it is safe to prepare and eat snake if only you have done it before. Don't just assume you can do it, always seek for help of snake eaters if you cut any or you follow this guidelines I listed above. Snake meat is best when you eat with your family,friends and loved ones. I can't wait to eat another snake.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by vibratingpenis: 2:59am On Jan 07, 2022
FamilyAdviser:

Puff Addy tail is very poisonous. Do not be deceived or decieve others. Get your facts right

This is ultra preproustrous, stop misleading people please.

Where do you guys learn all these very wrong misinformation? And you are even bold to be reiterating it with confidence.

Some ignorant ones will readily swallow this fallacy hook and sinker

Don't be confused, maybe

Don’t get me wrong, Puffies (as they are commonly known) are dangerous. They are a member of the Viper family, therefore they are venomous, NOT poisonous! This is a very common misunderstanding but there is no such thing as a poisonous snake or a poisonous spider or really anything similar to this. Poison is something that you ingest such as a plant or insect of some kind, so if you eat it, you would get sick. Snakes, such as Puff Adders, are venomous, along with spiders and scorpions which means that they can inject you with their fangs (for snakes and spiders) or their stinger at the end of their tail (scorpions). Not all snakes are venomous, most don’t have any venom and are called constrictors, the biggest of which in Africa is the Rock Python. The Puffy, however, does have venom and could give you a nasty bite but, they will do everything in their power to stay well clear of you. Even if found, it will do everything it can to get away or, try and stay hidden in the vegetation.

Culled from
https://worldwideexperience.com/2020/05/11/the-misunderstood-puff-adder-worldwide-experience/#:~:text=They%20are%20a%20member%20of,they%20are%20venomous%2C%20NOT%20poisonous!&text=Snakes%2C%20such%20as%20Puff%20Adders,of%20their%20tail%20(scorpions).

And check out some of these myths about snakes, maybe you'd be convinced that you've been believing a fake news.
https://oplin.org/snake/myths%20truths/mythstruths.html

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by vibratingpenis: 3:23am On Jan 07, 2022
Ate247:
When he said the little one's might bite you. Abi snake no dey lay egg again.

Vipers are ovoviviparous

1 Like

Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by Sensiblerealist: 3:26am On Jan 07, 2022
Informative rubbish.
Which little snakes go bite and how is venom/toxins stored in the tail.
The just cast his ignorance for the whole web

DispatcherLagos:
Very informative.
. lalasticlala should do the needful.
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by vibratingpenis: 3:29am On Jan 07, 2022
brainhgeek:

Ironla. Unku you can lie o. Besides, that looks nothing like a puff adder but like a viper.

A puff adder is a specie of viper na. All vipers are of the family Viperidae.

Atheris ceratophora, Horned bush viper

Bitis, Puff adders
Bitis albanica, Albany adder
Bitis arietans, Common puff adder
Bitis arietans arietans, Common puff adder
Bitis arietans somalica, Somali puff adder
Bitis armata, Southern adder
Bitis atropos, Mountain adder
Bitis caudalis, Horned adder
Bitis cornuta, Many-horned adder
Bitis gabonica, Gaboon viper (3003 Viper)
Bitis gabonica, East African gaboon viper
Bitis rhinoceros, West African gaboon viper
Re: Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup by deavicky(m): 3:53am On Jan 07, 2022
Mariangeles:
that is how it taste. Exactly like fish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NAFDAC Cautions Public Against Consumption Of 2 Brands Of Sardine / Big Python Killed Around A Farm (Pictures) / GWR: Tope Maggie Completes 200-Hour Cooking (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.