Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,367 members, 7,829,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Livestock Farming - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Livestock Farming (3127 Views)

My Journey Into Livestock Farming (Noiler 1st) / Amazing Profit On Livestock Farming. / Super Gro For Livestock Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Livestock Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:48pm On Sep 09, 2023
Matobicfarms:

Common goats diseases are PPR/POX not just SR things. Vaccines are available.

I practice zero grazing for now, so I only spray new arrivals on the farm during their quarantine period.

I deworm new arrivals during quarantine then monthly or when necessary.
Pls how much is ppr vaccine
Re: Livestock Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:49pm On Sep 09, 2023
Maryam1234:

Budget 30,000 for this particular ones, yes you can get it in Abuja.
That's cheap oo. Here in anambra small ones goes for 28k. Do u sell it
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 10:20am On Sep 10, 2023
FarmTech:

PPR Vaccine is 15k. Diluted, to vaccinate about 50 animals.
Re: Livestock Farming by FarmTech(m): 11:38pm On Sep 10, 2023
Matobicfarms:

Thanks.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 10:25am On Sep 17, 2023
Matobicfarms:

Sorry to bother you again. Please has your SR produced kids during the rainy season before? If yes, how did the kids fare. Did you have to provide heat for the kids? Some people I've been in contact with insist that its so difficult for the kids to survive if born in the south during the rainy season.
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 12:41pm On Sep 17, 2023
safarifarms:

Sorry to bother you again. Please has your SR produced kids during the rainy season before? If yes, how did the kids fare. Did you have to provide heat for the kids? Some people I've been in contact with insist that its so difficult for the kids to survive if born in the south during the rainy season.

We are anticipating the arrival of our first SR kids during this period. Now the issue of heat, during the rainy season if your farm is in the middle of nowhere (woods) you just have to provide a source of heat for your animal irrespective of the breed or age. The temperature of a farm in a community (housing) area cannot be compared to one in the middle of nowhere (woods). The structure (pen) is crucial. Bricks-fenced farms are not comparable to wire mesh-fenced farms in terms of temperature. There are numerous factors that need to be taken into account. So I will suggest you consider your farm's location and structure and not limit your care to just SR but to the entire herds.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 3:00pm On Sep 17, 2023
Matobicfarms:

We are anticipating the arrival of our first SR kids during this period. Now the issue of heat, during the rainy season if your farm is in the middle of nowhere (woods) you just have to provide a source of heat for your animal irrespective of the breed or age. The temperature of a farm in a community (housing) area cannot be compared to one in the middle of nowhere (woods). The structure (pen) is crucial. Bricks-fenced farms are not comparable to wire mesh-fenced farms in terms of temperature. There are numerous factors that need to be taken into account. So I will suggest you consider your farm's location and structure and not limit your care to just SR but to the entire herds.
Thanks for your prompt response.

Please do update me on the SR kids.

1 more question, at what age are SR goats considered table size/ready for market. In case you know, I'll also like to know for SR x WAD hybrids also.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 8:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
Matobicfarms:

Did you say 1.5k or 15k?
I heard it was 2k but I bought the 50 goats vile that I used to inject my 2 goats for just 1k in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 7:54am On Sep 19, 2023
safarifarms:

Did you say 1.5k or 15k?
I heard it was 2k but I bought the 50 goats vile that I used to inject my 2 goats for just 1k in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 9:15am On Sep 19, 2023
safarifarms:

Did you say 1.5k or 15k?

To be honest, the guy who administered the vaccine charged 15k for the number of animals, and I wasn't present. But, the vaccine you bought, is it required to be maintained under a given temperature? Can you upload an image of the vaccine if possible? or I can DM you then my WhatsApp no_ if you don't mind
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 1:03pm On Sep 19, 2023
PPR vaccines require to be stored at low temperatures. The lower the temperature the higher the shelf live. I think the lowest temperature is 4 degrees Celsius.

Over here vets typically charge 1k per goat for PPR vaccination.

Concerning the pic, the label of the vaccine was already broken down in the cold water that the vaccine was placed. So even though I show you the empty container there's actually nothing to see.

There are two types in the Nigerian market. Nigerian type and Indian. What is more commonly found is the Indian type which is active in animals for 1 year. The Nigerian type is active for 3 years.

Matobicfarms:

To be honest, the guy who administered the vaccine charged 15k for the number of animals, and I wasn't present. But, the vaccine you bought, is it required to be maintained under a given temperature? Can you upload an image of the vaccine if possible? or I can DM you then my WhatsApp no_ if you don't mind
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 1:05pm On Sep 19, 2023
PPR vaccines require to be stored at low temperatures. The lower the temperature the higher the shelf live. I think the lowest temperature is 4 degrees Celsius.

Concerning the pic, the label of the vaccine was already broken down in the cold water that the vaccine was placed. So even though I show you the empty container there's actually nothing to see.

There are two types in the Nigerian market. Nigerian type and Indian. What is more commonly found is the Indian type which is active in animals for 1 year. The Nigerian type is active for 3 years.

Later I'll look for the picture online and share it.

Matobicfarms:

Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 1:15pm On Sep 19, 2023
safarifarms:

Concerning the pic, the label of the vaccine was already broken down in the cold water where the vaccine was placed. So even though I show you the empty container there's actually nothing to see.

Later I'll look for the picture online and share it.

The above is correct. I was just wondering if there has been something different in the market. No matter how little, information matters a lot, especially for farmers. One just has to be open to any available info out there. I was charged a fare price.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 2:35pm On Sep 19, 2023
Matobicfarms:

The question asked was how much is the vaccine and your answer that the vaccine is 15k is what alarmed me.

By the way charging 15k to vaccinate 15 goats when the cost of vaccine, needles and distilled water is less than 2k looks exploitative. But its okay since you who paid feel satisfied that it is fair.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 2:43pm On Sep 19, 2023
FarmTech:

Should not be more than 2k. I bought one vile of 50 doses in Uyo on 1st Sept, 2023 for 1k.
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 3:39pm On Sep 19, 2023
safarifarms:

The question asked was how much is the vaccine and your answer that the vaccine is 15k is what alarmed me.

By the way charging 15k to vaccinate 15 goats when the cost of vaccine, needles and distilled water is less than 2k looks exploitative. But its okay since you who paid feel satisfied that it is fair.

I might have been exploited anyway.

modified: Did you pay a vet for the whole service or you purchase and administer the vaccine yourself?
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2023
Matobicfarms:

I might have been exploited anyway.

modified: Did you pay a vet for the whole service or you purchase and administer the vaccine yourself?
When I heard that they charge 1k per goat and learned that the vaccine is 2k I wondered how I will be spending 50k per year if I had a 50 goats herd when the vaccine is only 2k. I didn't even know that I will buy it for 1k. So I purchased and administered it myself.
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 8:09pm On Sep 19, 2023
safarifarms:

When I heard that they charge 1k per goat and learned that the vaccine is 2k I wondered how I will be spending 50k per year if I had a 50 goats herd when the vaccine is only 2k. I didn't even know that I will buy it for 1k. So I purchased and administered it myself.

Good.

Please, if need be, would you mind helping me buy and waybill?
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 8:31pm On Sep 19, 2023
Matobicfarms:

Good.

Please, if need be, would you mind helping me buy and waybill?
The major challenge would be maintaining the temperature required till destination. I think you should check vet shops in your area. There should be a major shop that has it.
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 8:54pm On Sep 19, 2023
safarifarms:

The major challenge would be maintaining the temperature required till destination. I think you should check vet shops in your area. There should be a major shop that has it.

Yeah, there is but the prices. I will keep checking, just in case. Controlling the temperature is achievable. Thanks.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2023
Where are you based and what is the Price over there?
Matobicfarms:

Yeah, there is but the prices. I will keep checking, just in case. Controlling the temperature is achievable. Thanks.

Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 9:14pm On Sep 19, 2023
Where are you based and what is the Price over there? If it would be available in Uyo and at an affordable price, I believe other more prominent towns could possibly have it cheaper.
Matobicfarms:

Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 11:04am On Sep 20, 2023
safarifarms:
Where are you based and what is the Price over there? If it would be available in Uyo and at an affordable price, I believe other more prominent towns could possibly have it cheaper.

Found the cheapest 2,500k.

Thanks

Glad I found this out on time. Confronting the dude later on.

We are expecting a few Sahelians today. Delicate this time but achievable.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 12:33pm On Sep 20, 2023
Matobicfarms:

Found the cheapest 2,500k.

Thanks

Glad I found this out on time. Confronting the dude later on.

We are expecting a few Sahelians today. Delicate this time but achievable.

Good. At least N2500 is still better.

If you don't mind please share the pics of the Sahelians when they arrive and the price.

Meanwhile I'd long responded to your DM request. As a beginner in this venture, I'll like to connect with people of like passion where we can rub minds and share ideas.
Re: Livestock Farming by Matobicfarms: 12:52pm On Sep 20, 2023
safarifarms:

Good. At least N2500 is still better.

If you don't mind please share the pics of the Sahelians when they arrive and the price.

Meanwhile I'd long responded to your DM request. As a beginner in this venture, I'll like to connect with people of like passion where we can rub minds and share ideas.

Yeah, better.

I have responded to your DM now.

Modified: I can send you the pic via WhatsApp or other means of your choice not here yet

1 Like

Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 8:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
Matobicfarms:

Yeah, better.

I have responded to your DM now.

Modified: I can send you the pic via WhatsApp or other means of your choice not here yet
Ok
Re: Livestock Farming by FarmTech(m): 10:32am On Sep 22, 2023
safarifarms:

Should not be more than 2k. I bought one vile of 50 doses in Uyo on 1st Sept, 2023 for 1k.
Do you have picture? Some people here are saying 15k!
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2023
FarmTech:

Do you have picture? Some people here are saying 15k!

If you read down you will see where he realized that he was exploited after getting it for 2.5k.
I don't have any meaningful picture as the label had already dissolved in the cold water it was placed to keep the temperature low.

Attached picture is that of a 100 doses version I downloaded online. The picture looks enlarged. My 50 doses vile was much smaller than half of this.

There are just 2 versions in the Nigerian market, a Nigerian version and an Indian version. The Indian version which is what is on the picture is the one that is commonly found.

Re: Livestock Farming by simpleworld: 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2023
Good today to masters and learned once here. I really interested in going to goat farming but before going into it what is the minimum capital I can start with
And what are the structure
Lastly is there market and good returns on the goat farming
Re: Livestock Farming by FarmTech(m): 12:58am On Sep 23, 2023
safarifarms:

If you read down you will see where he realized that he was exploited after getting it for 2.5k.
I don't have any meaningful picture as the label had already dissolved in the cold water it was placed to keep the temperature low.

Attached picture is that of a 100 doses version I downloaded online. The picture looks enlarged. My 50 doses vile was much smaller than half of this.

There are just 2 versions in the Nigerian market, a Nigerian version and an Indian version. The Indian version which is what is on the picture is the one that is commonly found.
Thanks. I will contact u when i need one
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 8:08am On Sep 23, 2023
FarmTech:

Thanks. I will contact u when i need one

Just like I advised the guy, check the big vet shops in your city, they are likely to have it. It will be cheaper and safer.

Remember that the vaccine has to be maintained at low temperature. So if you are transporting it without special provision for keeping it cool the vaccine would be useless as the microbes would have been destroyed.
Re: Livestock Farming by safarifarms(m): 8:20am On Sep 23, 2023
simpleworld:
Good today to masters and learned once here. I really interested in going to goat farming but before going into it what is the minimum capital I can start with
And what are the structure
Lastly is there market and good returns on the goat farming

I'm just starting but if I may attempt your question, the main things you need are proper and adequate housing for the goats, adequate exercise space, sufficient grazing land (if doing free ranch/extensive) or availability of adequate fodder and alternative feed if doing intensive/zero grazing.

Knowledge about their management and medication is also important. But they typically don't need too much in terms of medication unless you are dealing with breeds that are alien to your environment.

In terms of profitability, I can't say for now as I'm just starting. But I keep hearing that there's more demand than supply. If that is the case and you have abundant free grass/fodder for your animals then its a matter of you having enough stock for the market in order for you to make your money.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Are Buying Soursop Fruit (sharpsharp) / New Jute Bags For Sale / Ultra-low Temperature Blast Freezer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.