Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years (4845 Views)

Dino Melaye Is Operating A Foreign Bank Account - Sahara Reporters / Muhammadu Buhari Operating An Apple Laptop / WHO, Boko-Haram's Doctor Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by HighChief4(m): 1:46pm On Jun 17, 2011
A 40-year-old, Bamigboye Olusegun, was arrested by men of the Nigeria Police in Niger State for operating as a doctor for three years.

Nemesis caught up with the suspect, who performed fake surgery on a 10-year old boy at the Suleja General Hospital last weekend.

According to investigations, the suspect collected N10,000 from the mother of the patient, before performing the fake surgery: He took the boy into the theatre and placed plaster over a part of the body without actually performing any operation.

When the boy’s condition got worse, the mother returned to the hospital where she made a complaint to the chief medical director who removed the plaster only to find that no operation took place on the boy.

The development, according to the findings, aroused suspicion leading to the medical certificate of the ‘doctor’ being questioned.

Unknown to Olusegun, his academic records were sent to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria where it was found out that he (Bamigboye ) had been using the certificate of a director, Malaria Control Centre, Federal Ministry of Health, Abuja, Dr Segun Oyeniyi.

It was learnt that it was the second time that Olusegun would be apprehended for faking as a medical doctor. He was first arrested in Nassarawa State about five years ago when he was unmasked and handed over to the police for prosecution.

Officials of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria who released the crime record of the suspect were at a loss as to how he escaped the long arms of the law after his criminal activity was confirmed.

Bamigboye, a graduate of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology, University of Jos, Plateau State, who confirmed that he is fake, said he bought the certificate at N5,000 from one Baba Abolaji, a messenger at the University Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Kwara state. He said he had to fake as a medical doctor because “I have passion for the profession.”

The father of 3 was on N160,000 monthly salary before he was arrested.

Niger State police commissioner, Mr Michael Zuokumor, who confirmed the story, said the fake doctor would be charged to court soon.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by snowdrops(m): 2:06pm On Jun 17, 2011
High_Chief:

A 40-year-old, Bamigboye Olusegun, was arrested by men of the Nigeria Police in Niger State for operating as a doctor for three years.

Nemesis caught up with the suspect, who performed fake surgery on a 10-year old boy at the Suleja General Hospital last weekend.
According to investigations, the suspect collected N10,000 from the mother of the patient, before performing the fake surgery: He took the boy into the theatre and placed plaster over a part of the body without actually performing any operation.

When the boy’s condition got worse, the mother returned to the hospital where she made a complaint to the chief medical director who removed the plaster only to find that no operation took place on the boy.

The development, according to the findings, excited suspicion leading to the medical certificate of the ‘doctor’ being questioned.

Unknown to Olusegun, his academic records were sent to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria where it was found out that he (Bamigboye ) had been using the certificate of a director, Malaria Control Centre, Federal Ministry of Health, Abuja, Dr Segun Oyeniyi.

It was learnt that it was the second time that Olusegun would be apprehended for faking as a medical doctor. He was first arrested in Nassarawa State about five years ago when he was unmasked and handed over to the police for prosecution.

Officials of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria who released the crime record of the suspect were at a loss as to how he escaped the long arms of the law after his criminal activity was confirmed.

Bamigboye, a graduate of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology, University of Jos, Plateau State, who confirmed that he is fake, said he bought the certificate at N5,000 from one Baba Abolaji, a messenger at the University Teaching Hospital, Ilorin, Kwara state. He said he had to fake as a medical doctor because “I have passion for the profession.”

The father of 3 was on N160,000 monthly salary before he was arrested.

Niger State police commissioner, Mr Michael Zuokumor, who confirmed the story, said the fake doctor would be charged to court soon.

1. how heartless to have risked the live of a 10year old
2. news flash!!! criminal mysteriously released from police custody following arrest
3. no surprised that he had some sort of medical background. i believe this is only a tip of the iceberg as such malpractices might be happening all over the country
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by HighChief4(m): 2:12pm On Jun 17, 2011
Its really a sad one
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by DisGuy: 2:27pm On Jun 17, 2011
nknown to Olusegun,  his academic records were sent to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria where it was found out that he (Bamigboye ) had been using the certificate of a director, Malaria Control Centre, Federal Ministry of Health, Abuja, Dr Segun Oyeniyi.

So they waited three years before checking his records?
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by Odunnu: 2:58pm On Jun 17, 2011
Can you imagine! Attimes I wonder the value people place on human lives.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by Ladytemi(f): 6:59am On Jun 18, 2011
Ok seriously why was this heartless beast never locked up the first time he did this, also how did he get hired if nobody checked his references, we are not talking about working as a janitor or gateman this man was going to be responsible for the lives of innocent people.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by Egwuda33: 8:34am On Jun 18, 2011
In Nigeria, expect anytin, no wonder corruption has built a house in dis country, GOD SAVE US ALL.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by Nobody: 8:37am On Jun 18, 2011
the hospital must be being run like. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

how does one perform an operation without nurse, anesthesiologists, etc?

and no one was following through, dressing the wound, etc?

story is bizarre

they should sack the top mgt of the hospital. it is clear some sort of scam is going on
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by ziccoit: 10:11am On Jun 18, 2011
^^^^^ Na so.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by MMM2(m): 10:17am On Jun 18, 2011
dat bas-tard is very wicked,
he should die.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by NoQualms1(f): 10:20am On Jun 18, 2011
Naija, chei. E be as e get.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by Davedavy: 11:05am On Jun 18, 2011
oyb:

the hospital must be being run like. . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

how does one perform an operation without nurse, anesthesiologists, etc?

and no one was following through, dressing the wound, etc?

story is bizarre

they should sack the top mgt of the hospital. it is clear some sort of scam is going on

Can you imagine.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by reindeer: 11:24am On Jun 18, 2011
oh you'd be shocked at how many people like this prowl the streets in Nigeria. Some were medical school dropouts, some didnt even go to school, some are nurses working in hospitals, some are lab scientists and many are just cleaners in the hospital.
The problem is there is no surveillance and the Medical and Dental Coouncil of Nigeria isnt helping matters.
If you visit the website for the GMC in the UK you can quickly check the registration and license status of any doctor working in the UK, all you need is just the first 2 names and sex.
the MDCN needs to have a fully functional website with pictures where people can check the registration of doctors, that may help reduce quackery.
Only God knows how many people the country loses to this sort of behaviour every year.
Let me not even talk about all those ones running around the health board on nairaland claiming to have a cure for everything (diseases they dont even understand).
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 18, 2011
Nigeria is a fake country. leaders, pastors, imams, bankers, FAKE FAKE FAKE. AREST EVERYONE.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by oge4real(f): 11:48am On Jun 18, 2011
^^^^the thing dey really pain you.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by muyoto: 11:59am On Jun 18, 2011
nothing new
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by DisGuy: 12:11pm On Jun 18, 2011
reindeer:

oh you'd be shocked at how many people like this prowl the streets in Nigeria. Some were medical school dropouts, some didnt even go to school, some are nurses working in hospitals, some are lab scientists and many are just cleaners in the hospital.
The problem is there is no surveillance and the Medical and Dental Coouncil of Nigeria isnt helping matters.
If you visit the website for the GMC in the UK you can quickly check the registration and license status of any doctor working in the UK, all you need is just the first 2 names and sex.
the MDCN needs to have a fully functional website with pictures where people can check the registration of doctors, that may help reduce quackery.
Only God knows how many people the country loses to this sort of behaviour every year.
Let me not even talk about all those ones running around the health board on nairaland claiming to have a cure for everything (diseases they dont even understand).

Rudolph is not defending this Dr even criticizing the medical council-- ?? Shocked!!
The same 'avenue' you swore was very competent to deal with complaints!!
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by jamest3(m): 1:26pm On Jun 18, 2011
Some nerve he had, he should have at least posed as a Vet!!
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by splashbaby(m): 2:38pm On Jun 18, 2011
SO many fake people around.
Fake doctors
Fake Nurse
Fake Teachers
Fake Leaders
and even
Fake Followers (Nigerians)
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by osamaboko(m): 3:19pm On Jun 18, 2011
i really hope he faces the law this time.But its not only in Nigeria that stuffs like this happen even in Italy a lot of fake dentist and doctors practicing privately have always been detected and arrested so i guess its a worldwide issue.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by EvilBrain1(m): 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2011
This kind of nonsense happens all the time. Not long ago there was a fake doctor at the hospital I worked at. The guy had some basic medical knowledge but made some very odd mistakes and was shockingly ignorant about things a year 2 medical student would know.

I did my own investigations and found out that the guy was a quack. My oga also got suspicious and took the guy's documents to the medical and dental council who confirmed that they were fake. The MDCN was supposed to come and arrest and prosecute him but several months later they are yet to do anything.

As far as I know, he's still practising somewhere. You know Nigeria is a useless country when you hand a quack doctor over to the authorities on a platter of gold and they can't be bothered to arrest him. God knows how many people the guy would have killed by now.

Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by reindeer: 5:58pm On Jun 18, 2011
Dis Guy:

Rudolph is not defending this Dr even criticizing the medical council-- ?? Shocked!!
The same 'avenue' you swore was very competent to deal with complaints!!

You need to read a little smarter mate
Competent to deal with complaints yes, but mounting surveillance, no. I'm sure anyome who can read in english will easily tell the difference between the two.
If you do have any evidence of them not acting on the complaints made about this ''doctor'', please feel free to state.
This article may even let you realise one of the reasons many paramedical staff antagonise doctors, he would have loved to be one but couldn't cut it.
It will still make sense if the MDCN will have a database where the public can check the registration of their doctors, shouldn't be that hard.
I'm not sure Nigeria has produced up to a hundred thousand medical doctors since inception of the profession in the country.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by EvilBrain1(m): 6:39pm On Jun 18, 2011
reindeer:

You need to read a little smarter mate
Competent to deal with complaints yes, but mounting surveillance, no. I'm sure anyome who can read in english will easily tell the difference between the two.
If you do have any evidence of them not acting on the complaints made about this ''doctor'', please feel free to state.
This article may even let you realise one of the reasons many paramedical staff antagonise doctors, he would have loved to be one but couldn't cut it.
It will still make sense if the MDCN will have a database where the public can check the registration of their doctors, shouldn't be that hard.
I'm not sure Nigeria has produced up to a hundred thousand medical doctors since inception of the profession in the country.

You didn't read my post. It's right above yours. In my case, the MDCN went as far as telling my boss not to call the police and to allow the guy to keep practising until they came to pick him up. Their reason was that they didn't want the guy to get tipped off and disappear because he would only end up doing the same thing somewhere else.

They didn't want the police involved because they would just hold him for a few days and release him after he pays a small bribe. (I actually spoke to a lawyer who said the same thing.) Apparently the Nigerian police don't charge people to court anymore. They just arrest, collect "bail" and release.

Like I said, the guy is still practising, despite the MDCN being aware of him for several months. They kept saying "we're coming, we're coming" until my boss got frustrated and found an excuse to sack the guy without telling him why. I had to work beside the guy while knowing for certain that he was a quack for almost 2 weeks. I had to keep double-checking his work and was always afraid to go home for fear that he'd kill somebody when I wasn't around. If the patients had found out, it would have destroyed my reputation and that of the hospital.

The whole episode just convinced me that Nigeria as a nation has completely run down. I really have to leave this country!

Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by reindeer: 6:48pm On Jun 18, 2011
Evil Brain:

You didn't read my post. It's right above yours. In my case, the MDCN went as far as telling my boss not to call the police and to allow the guy to keep practising until they came to pick him up. Their reason was that they didn't want the guy to get tipped off and disappear because he would only end up doing the same thing somewhere else.

They didn't want the police involved because they would just hold him for a few days and release him after he pays a small bribe. (I actually spoke to a lawyer who said the same thing.) Apparently the Nigerian police don't charge people to court anymore. They just arrest, collect "bail" and release.

Like I said, the guy is still practising, despite the MDCN being aware of him for several months. The whole episode just convinced me that Nigeria as a nation has completely run down. I really have to leave this country!

quite worrying.As far back as 2003, i had a ''doctor'' picked up and he eventually ended up in court. The police were fully involved then the effected the arrest.I don't think its the MDCN that should be arresting erring people, there should be an arm of the police effecting the arrest and upholding the law. I see no way they can be effective without the police. God help Nigeria.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by EvilBrain1(m): 7:03pm On Jun 18, 2011
reindeer:

quite worrying.As far back as 2003, i had a ''doctor'' picked up and he eventually ended up in court. The police were fully involved then the effected the arrest.I don't think its the MDCN that should be arresting erring people, there should be an arm of the police effecting the arrest and upholding the law. I see no way they can be effective without the police. God help Nigeria.

The MDCN wasn't supposed to arrest him. They were supposed to accompany the police, ensure the arrest and oversee the prosecution. Its part of their duties according to the Medical and Dental Practitioners Act. I'm actually reading through the law right now and it turns out that the penalty for practising as a quack is 5 years imprisonment or a fine of N10,000.

Amazing!

Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by dustydee: 7:08pm On Jun 18, 2011
So the police let him go at first? Well we are not even sure he hasn't been let off yet
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by falgar: 7:10pm On Jun 18, 2011
[b]NA TODAY , I BEG TO DIFFER.HAVE YOU HEARD OF ONE MECURE MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIC CENTRE IN LAGOS STATE ? THEY HAVE ALSO PARTENERED WITH SOME STATE GOVERNORS :ONDO STATE,ABIA STATE,KANO STATE AND STILL PUSHING
(BEARING DIFFERENT NAMES)IN WHAT WE CALL PRIVATE GOVT PATERNERSHIP TO BUILD SUCH IN THIER STATES
IT IS OWNED BY ONE INDIAN MAN WHO EMPLOY THE SERVICES OF INDIAN NON MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS (QUACKERY IN NIGERIA WHERE ANYTHING GOES)WHO GO ABOUT EXPOSING NIGERIANS TO RADIATION WITHOUT JUSTIFICATION AS IN BIZ ADVENTURE MEANWHILE NIGERIAN TRAINED MED PROFESSIONALS FIND IT DIFFICULT PRACTISING OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY.
WORSTH STILL IS THAT THIS STATE GOVERNORS THAT PARTNER WITH THEM NEVER CARE TO QUESTION THIER PROFESSIONALISM.

ARE YOU AWARE OF DANGERS OF THOSE IONISING RADIATION(INTERNATIONAL ISSUE-JAPAN NUCLEAR PLANT sad ,HIROSHIMA  angry sad,CHERNOBYL  sadAND [b]NAGASAKI  angryWHERE THE EFFECTS OF WHAT HAPPENED DECADES AGO IS STILL UNDER STUDY) WHEN USED FOR MED REASONS WITHOUT JUSTIFICATION? IS A PITY MANY NIGERIANS STILL NEED TO BE EDUCATED ON THAT EVEN OUR SO CALLED ELITES CLASS WHO GO THERE TO SPEND HARD EARNED,ILL-GOTTEN WEALTH AND EVEN THAT OF THEIR ESTABLISHMENT TO DO MEDICAL CHECK UP WHICH INCLUDES CT SCAN-HIGH RADITION DOSE cry cry AND A CRIMINAL PRACTICE wink wink,MRI EXAMINTION-CRIMINAL PRACTICE embarassed embarassed       FOR JUST MEDICAL CHECK? HABA MECURE NEED TO BE FLOGGED FROM MINISTRY OF HEALTH ABUJA AND THE PROFESSIONAL BODIES INCHARGE OF THOSE PRACTICE SHOULD BE INTERROGATED BY ICPC BECAUSE I HEARD FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE THAT THEY HAVE REALLY COMPROMISED IN THEIR DUTY BY PROTECTING THIS ESTABLISHMENT THAT GREASE THIER PALMS ON MONTHLY BASIS
THANK GOD A NIGERIAN LADY WORKING TIP MY COUSIN TO GO BACK TO HER DOCTOR COS AT HER AGE CERTAIN XRAY EXAMINATION OF BREAST IS CRIMINAL MEANWHILE THE INDIAN GUYS WOULD HAVE DONE IT SHARPLY IF THERE GOT WIND OF IT EARLIER THAN THE LADY.
    ANYWAY I BLAME THE COUNTRY AT LARGE WHEN I LEARNT THAT THE DOCTOR THAT REFERED HER WAS AFTER TWENTY PERCENT  shocked :oOF WHATEVER SHE WILL PAY FOR THAT EXAMINATION. NLENDERS WISE UP WHEN EVER U ARE REFERED TO ANY PLACE SO AS AVOID SUCH PRACTICE, A NURSE FRIEND WORKING COULD NOT SAY LEAST WHEN I CONFRONTED HER ADDING THAT PPLE REGULATING PRACTICE OF IONISING RADIATION ARE STILL CONFUSE ON HOW TO TACKLE MECURE AS SOME PPLE HAS THROWN THEIR WEIGHT TO SUSTAIN THEM AT DETERIMENT OF NIGERIAN MASSES[/b][/b]
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by bright007(f): 7:29pm On Jun 18, 2011
jerseyboy:

Nigeria is a fake country. leaders, pastors, imams, bankers, FAKE FAKE FAKE. AREST EVERYONE.
lmao, lol
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by falgar: 7:38pm On Jun 18, 2011
SORRY I MEAN CERTAIN EXAMINTION OF THE BREAST IS CRIMINAL PRACTISE ON A 24YRS OLD BREAST wink ,GOING BACK TO MEET THE DOCTOR HE NOW REFERED HER FOR UTRASOUND. CALL IT CORRUPTION OR BAD PRACTISE, IS LIKE A CHAIN REACTION. DOCTOR WANTS TO GET HIS 20% CUT , MECURE READY TO MAKE MONEY IN NAIJA (IF NOT FOR THE LADY THAT TIPPED HER TO GO GET A REFUND.
SEARCHING MY MIND, I NOW REMEMBERED YEARS BACK AT IGBOBI WHEN MY BROS WAS HOSPITALISED FOR MONTHS AT IGBOBI AFTER AN ACCIDENT,THOSE DOING XRAY THERE JUSTIFIES THE PRACTICE.AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER WE WHERE SENT BACK TO THE DOCTOR TO REVIEW WHAT THEY WANT AND I CAN SEE THEM REMOVE UNJUSTIFIED ONES THEREBY REDUCING COST WHILE TRYING TO LIMIT SERIAL NO OF XRAY DONE  AND ITS EFFECTS, AND THIS MECURE ARE SET OUT ON CRIMINAL PRACTISE IN NIGERIA SUCH THAT IS NOT ALLOWED IN THEIR COUNTRY, I WONT BE SURPRISE THAT HOSPITAL CLEANERS AT INDIA ARE NOW FULL TIME PRACTISING SURGEONS IN NIGERIA
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by Ad4(m): 8:24pm On Jun 18, 2011
My people,dis's really bad!d MDS needs to step up there game.Its d same problem in all profesions.In Engineering,a brick layer'll say I'm an Engineer n people, even d elite 1s will b patronising them.I'm suppressed at d elite in dis country!it'll boils down to poverty.
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by vaLasce(m): 9:00pm On Jun 18, 2011
wow!
Re: Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years by vaLasce(m): 9:00pm On Jun 18, 2011
wow!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ait Destroying Fashola's Govt / Pic:David Mark's Home Vs. A Police Station In Otukpo(Mark's Hometown) / Why We Walked Out On Saraki—akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.