Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) (1495 Views)

Partial disconnection: Glo Subscribers To Be Barred From Calling MTN Lines - NCC / Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities / USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by TMKsouth: 9:45pm On Jan 11, 2022
South Africa

DStv will lose half-a-million customers in South Africa over the next five years, while its revenue in the country will decline by around 3-billion rands (78-billion naira).

That is according to the Africa Pay TV Forecasts report from television industry intelligence firm Digital TV Research.

The report forecasts that South Africa will have about 9.2 million Pay-TV subscribers by 2027.

Of these, DStv will account for 8.4 million, which means it will remain the dominant provider in the country.

However, that figure is 500,000 less than the 8.9 million South African subscribers it had as of September 2021, according to its interim results for the current financial year.

Although the broadcaster has been bleeding high-end Premium package users over the past few years, its total subscriber count has risen due to increased uptake in the low-end and mid-market segments.

While the report’s authors would not state the reasons for the reduction in subscribers and revenue, DStv has increasingly come under pressure from Internet-based video streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in recent years.

MultiChoice might absorb the pay-TV revenue reduction somewhat by increasing subscribers on its Showmax streaming service.

But as more streaming services reach South Africa’s shores, it will have to invest heavily in original content, with international powerhouses expected to pull their movies and TV shows from rival platforms when they launch their own services.

The imminent arrival of Disney+ in South Africa, for example, is expected to see MultiChoice lose the rights to broadcast programming from a large selection of sought-after franchises owned by the House of Mouse.

2 Shares

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by TMKsouth: 9:46pm On Jan 11, 2022
Rest of Africa

Things look much rosier for MultiChoice in the rest of Africa, where the overall pay-TV market is expected to see significant growth.

According to the report, MultiChoice will continue to dominate amidst strong competition from StarTimes and Canal+.

Digital TV Research forecasted that MultiChoice would grow its subscribers to 20.8 million across its DStv and GoTV offerings by 2027. That would be a substantial increase from the 12.2 million it reported in September 2021.

Overall, it is anticipated that Pay-TV subscriber numbers in Africa will climb by 18 million to reach 57 million between 2021 and 2027.

Digital TV Research principal analyst Simon Murray said that the three main competitors would battle it out for subscribers, often by cutting prices.

The result is that pay-TV revenue is expected to increase by a less impressive 35% during the same period, reaching $6.46 billion.

By 2027, South African broadcaster Multichoice will have 20.8 million subscribers across its DStv and GOtv platforms. Meanwhile, Chinese media company StarTimes, which has a significant presence across sub-Saharan Africa, will grow to 18.4 million, and Vivendi-owned French company Canal+ will climb to 11.2 million subs.

“Few new players are expected. Instead, the three protagonists will battle for supremacy – often by cutting prices,” said Simon Murray, principal analyst at Digital TV Research.

The chart below shows the forecasted number of subscribers each of the biggest pay-TV providers in Africa will have by 2027.

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by joceey(m): 10:00pm On Jan 11, 2022
Dstv reign is coming to an end very soon.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by SportsHD: 10:31pm On Jan 11, 2022
joceey:
I don't see no capable competitor in Africa at the moment. Or do you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by TMKsouth: 10:38pm On Jan 11, 2022
SportsHD:

I don't see no capable competitor in Africa at the moment. Or do you?

“Few new players are expected. Instead, the three protagonists will battle for supremacy – often by cutting prices,” said Simon Murray, principal analyst at Digital TV Research.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 11, 2022
If not for the EPL and UCL

I would have stop using DSTV a long time ago.

2 Likes

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 11, 2022
joceey:
Who go dethrone them?

1 Like

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by SportsHD: 10:45pm On Jan 11, 2022
DubaiLandLord:

Tstv wey we dey even expect to come and shake DStv's leg, I don't know if it's politics that's making them stagnant like this. Even with the price cuts and all, they're still stagnant. By the way, I thought nta owned star times. I didn't know that it was the Chinese, fuvcking chinese.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 11, 2022
SportsHD:

Tstv wey we dey even expect to come and shake DStv's leg, I don't know if it's politics that's making them stagnant like this. Even with the price cuts and all, they're still stagnant. By the way, I thought nta owned star times. I didn't know that it was the Chinese, fuvcking chinese.
The only way DSTV can be shake is if Startime or TSTV can pay DSTV for the right to also show the EPL and UCL.

GMB pass a law that makes such a thing possible, I don't know if the cable companies like Startime don't want to apply because of the fee they will pay to DSTV.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Asquare84(m): 6:41am On Jan 12, 2022
TSTV will weaken DSTV in nigeria very soon, I speaking from experience because I am currently using TSTV.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Harryfrosh: 6:59am On Jan 12, 2022
I still don't know why Dstv is not looking at implementing pay as you use in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by eteebanky1: 7:23am On Jan 12, 2022
but DStv is reigning in Nigeria, almost 90% citizens are using it here
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by NnamdiN: 11:12am On Jan 12, 2022
eteebanky1:
but DStv is reigning in Nigeria, almost 90% citizens are using it here
do they all subscribe? I bought mine during their last promo. After the promo I went back to my Ghana FTA where I'm guaranteed steady and recent foreign movies . I don't watch football and I don't do nollywood movies undecided

1 Like

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Shukusheka(m): 11:57am On Jan 12, 2022
Harryfrosh:
I still don't know why Dstv is not looking at implementing pay as you use in Nigeria
Can you people afford Pay per view? You people think Pay per view is cheap? Until you are told to pay 10k to watch one Anthony Joshua fight, na dat time una go know wassup grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Shukusheka(m): 12:00pm On Jan 12, 2022
joceey:
DubaiLandLord:
The only way DSTV can be shake is if Startime or TSTV can pay DSTV for the right to also show the EPL and UCL.

GMB pass a law that makes such a thing possible, I don't know if the cable companies like Startime don't want to apply because of the fee they will pay to DSTV.
You people can not be crying for foreign direct investment in Nigeria, and when these foreigners invest in your country, employ your citizens, you then turn to the government to stifle their operations with unfriendly policies. Kolework.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 12, 2022
Shukusheka:
You people can not be crying for foreign direct investment in Nigeria, and when these foreigners invest in your country, employ your citizens, you then turn to the government to stifle their operations with unfriendly policies. Kolework.
The law is the law.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Shukusheka(m): 12:03pm On Jan 12, 2022
DubaiLandLord:
The law is the law.
Doesn't mean it is right and can not be modified.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 12, 2022
Shukusheka:
Doesn't mean it is right and can not be modified.
For now, the law should be followed till it will be modify.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by Divoc19(f): 1:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
I want to sell my dstv decoder to buy free to air Strong
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by fredie107(m): 4:22pm On Jan 12, 2022
DubaiLandLord:

I have repented from DSTV. I realized I spent less streaming the matches I want to watch than pay 7900 monthly and I'm not always home.
Re: DSTV Africa Subscribers To Grow By 8-million By 2027, But SA See Bloodbath (PIX) by skywalker240(m): 1:59am On Jan 13, 2022
Asquare84:
TSTV will weaken DSTV in nigeria very soon, I speaking from experience because I am currently using TSTV.
As far as TSTV lacks the right to air the EPL & UCL, then you're just dreaming

Dutch dreams

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think About The 55000 Mh New Age Poweebank / What Will Happen To Iphone That Will Not Receive Updates / How To Check Airtel Data Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.