Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria (28719 Views)

Get Your Health More And More Better Now With Hygiene Made Winter Bedsheets / Why Black Men Need To Take Their Mental Health More Seriously / Ban On Codeine: Lagos Unveils Comprehensive Strategy To Address Mental Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:
I opted to post this in the Health section because I realised, for the first time in all my years in Lagos (and that is my entire life) that many are mad in Lagos but few are are confined in asylums. We don't take mental health seriously enough in Nigeria.

I had left office around 5.30 pm and had not gone far when a junior colleague called me that he had left his entire earthly possessions back in the office, vis his house keys, wallet and phone and the admin office was closed. His excuse was he did not know I would be leaving early. After blasting him for his lackadaisical attitude, I told him where to meet me to get my keys. I was already in transit and the traffic was rapidly moving and If he hurried he would meet me at the traffic light before it turned green.

He drove halfway and had to run the remaining half because of the traffic. He was just about 45 seconds away from me and I could see his approaching form, but the lights had changed to green and we were about moving, so I quickly tossed the bunch of keys on a horizontal signboard on the road median. The dude got to me just as we were about to cross and I yelled at him to go back and check the board. He nodded and ran back.

To my chagrin and ongoing bafflement, he called me back that there were no keys on the board. I told him to check properly, on the sides and even under the board. He rang off, and then called back some minutes later, insisting that he couldn't find any keys. I was forced to alight half way and go back to the junction where all these drama was unfolding. I thought my eyes were paining me when I checked and discovered that the bunch of keys had grown legs and run off in the 45 seconds/ 1 minute it took for my colleague to reach the point where I had tossed the keys.

That is how me and this boy started rigmaroling the road median like construction workers, searching through dirt and grass for my large, shiny bunch of keys that had mysteriously disappeared in plain sight. After about 30 minutes of fruitlessly searching even in portions of the median that I knew I had passed before that fateful toss, we were forced to give up after admitting to ourselves that a Lagosian had seen me tossing the keys and immediately pounced on them like the lunatic he was.

Kai, it is still paining my spirit, soul and body. cry

My question now is this: what is anyone going to do with a bunch of keys that is totally useless to him? What?

There is a legion of lunatics roaming freely on this streets of the Gidi. undecided

Lol make I burst your brain small

I went to night class to read for an exam that was slated the next day.

Immediately I settled down to read I discovered that I forget my pen at home. I dropped my bag, handout and jotter to go buy a pen. But something touched me. I went back pick up my bag and jotter, leaving the handout.

There was this guy at the back watching me. Could you believe that when I came back the handout and the guy was gone from the class.

This guy wasn't in the same level with me. I have never seen him in the class before.

What is he going to do with the material. I was beyond shocked.

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Goldbw122(m): 11:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
When the person gets home with the bunch of keys he will ask himself, what should I do with the key like seriously, or the person know the lock to the key and he is trying to steal from the apartment may be so... So you just have to change the bunches of lock and that cost money... some people are really wicked.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Felimax(m): 11:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
xjiggy:
Bro I hope you're taking care of your lungs with some of that money because the black soot in Port Harcourt is more dangerous than cigarette smoke.
Eya! Everybody in Port Harcourt is so dead. I have never seen a place so littered with dead bodies in Nigeria compare to Lagos. How many people you don hear say dey jump enter lagoon for Port Harcourt?
From Igando to Ojudu and working the length and width of Lagos there is nothing you want to tell me about Lagos. 6 solid years nor be joke.

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 12:05am On Jan 13, 2022
Ishilove:
I opted to post this in the Health section because I realised, for the first time in all my years in Lagos (and that is my entire life) that many are mad in Lagos but few are are confined in asylums. We don't take mental health seriously enough in Nigeria.

I had left office around 5.30 pm and had not gone far when a junior colleague called me that he had left his entire earthly possessions back in the office, vis his house keys, wallet and phone and the admin office was closed. His excuse was he did not know I would be leaving early. After blasting him for his lackadaisical attitude, I told him where to meet me to get my keys. I was already in transit and the traffic was rapidly moving and If he hurried he would meet me at the traffic light before it turned green.

He drove halfway and had to run the remaining half because of the traffic. He was just about 45 seconds away from me and I could see his approaching form, but the lights had changed to green and we were about moving, so I quickly tossed the bunch of keys on a horizontal signboard on the road median. The dude got to me just as we were about to cross and I yelled at him to go back and check the board. He nodded and ran back.

To my chagrin and ongoing bafflement, he called me back that there were no keys on the board. I told him to check properly, on the sides and even under the board. He rang off, and then called back some minutes later, insisting that he couldn't find any keys. I was forced to alight half way and go back to the junction where all these drama was unfolding. I thought my eyes were paining me when I checked and discovered that the bunch of keys had grown legs and run off in the 45 seconds/ 1 minute it took for my colleague to reach the point where I had tossed the keys.

That is how me and this boy started rigmaroling the road median like construction workers, searching through dirt and grass for my large, shiny bunch of keys that had mysteriously disappeared in plain sight. After about 30 minutes of fruitlessly searching even in portions of the median that I knew I had passed before that fateful toss, we were forced to give up after admitting to ourselves that a Lagosian had seen me tossing the keys and immediately pounced on them like the lunatic he was.

My question now is this: what is anyone going to do with a bunch of keys that is totally useless to him? What?

There is a legion of lunatics roaming freely on this streets of the Gidi. undecided
Hahahhahahaha sorry please though I laugh grin
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Hassanmaye(m): 12:07am On Jan 13, 2022
Ishilove:

Lmao!!
Is true
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by HayTerran: 1:07am On Jan 13, 2022
ednut1:
Topic does not relate with the post na

Relax, she could also be speaking for herself, and wish others should benefit too. She might be planning to travel to saner climes like Washington, Paris and unsure yet of how her demeanours will play out. You never know.

On another note, we could throw broad-mindedness some embrace.

An Hausa truck pusher who specializes in gathering metals for business purposes and living, could have seen the time OP flung the items away with carelessness, to him, and immediately assumed OP had no use for it anymore. He picked it and dipped it among his collection and continued his journey. In fact, he might feel, in his mind, he'd been same enough to help in environmental sanitation. Innumerable Hausans are littered in Lagos living on this job, so it's not an out-of-place possibility.

We could include that in our plethora of assumptions too.

Also on a different yet related note, the one assumed to have pilfered the keys may actually be an individual suffering from a psychiatrically diagnosed medical condition, whose wandering coincided the event and left the scene immediately afterwards.

It may also have ricocheted into an undiscovered hole.

Several circumstances, unrelated to theft or mental health, are possibilities.

NB: The seemingly hard act of taking responsibility after some moments of retrospection of this unpleasant event, instead of sheer sentiments and blame trading, will help in dealing with several situations - even unrelated ones - ahead.

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by IjeBos(m): 1:31am On Jan 13, 2022
Ishilove:

I think this should be a story about you. Why would you leave a key out in public esp. in Lagos and expect it to be there. I don't live in Lagos and wouldn't leave anything I cared about continuing to have out in a very public space for ~1 minute.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:07am On Jan 13, 2022
That's how I lost my car key one day. Car key along with house keys bunch just disappeared like that.

And I'm sure nah one of my neighbors picked it.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 3:52am On Jan 13, 2022
Thanksful:

Lol make I burst your brain small

I went to night class to read for an exam that was slated the next day.

Immediately I settled down to read I discovered that I forget my pen at home. I dropped my bag, handout and jotter to go buy a pen. But something touched me. I went back pick up my bag and jotter, leaving the handout.

There was this guy at the back watching me. Could you believe that when I came back the handout and the guy was gone from the class.

This guy wasn't in the same level with me. I have never seen him in the class before.

What is he going to do with the material. I was beyond shocked.
He was likely going to give it to somebody he knows in your level.

Or give it to akara seller in exchange for akara.

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by OgatheTop: 4:10am On Jan 13, 2022
Ishilove:

You speak good English.

2 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Corea4king(m): 5:22am On Jan 13, 2022
But why would you also risk a key of that kind caliber.As for me,ur not far from what ur suspecting.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by muheeb01(m): 6:43am On Jan 13, 2022
As you're taking care of your physical and sexual health,don't ever ignore mental health,it's more important
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by AmazingELixir: 8:31am On Jan 13, 2022
CalabarPikin:

Iron condemn

Try check here, it could be there probably

grin

I'm very sure at the base of that loaded truck are the various manhole covers stolen from drainage covers on the roads and pedestrians walkways

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 13, 2022
Ishilove:

He was likely going to give it to somebody he knows in your level.

Or give it to akara seller in exchange for akara.

Omo

E shock me

Things dey happen
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by nuelyoyo(m): 3:27pm On Jan 13, 2022
Everything that has been written on this thread is why I usually describe Lagos with two words: CRAZY and WICKED.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by kullozone(m): 6:43pm On Jan 13, 2022
Mtcheeeew!!!

Op nor serious. You loss key kon dey talk rubbish ontop... Why this shii on front-page angry

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 2:16pm On Jan 14, 2022
Ishi it is your own mental health that should be checked grin. Because you really have mind to toss your office keys on a sidewalk or whatever. If it were the keys to a vault, would you do that?

Anyway, someone definitely picked it.

3 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by micxwell(m): 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2022
DesChyko:
Omo.. In the right place and time, everybody in Lagos is mad laidis lipsrsealed

Imagine the thoughts in the minds of passers-by who saw you and your colleague going about your business while searching grin
My thoughts cheesy
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by emaskocoded(m): 1:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
Tallesty1:
Yes, it's the soft copy

Pls hope you don't mind sharing with me, I'll really appreciate it
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Tallesty1(m): 7:25pm On Jan 25, 2022
emaskocoded:

Pls hope you don't mind sharing with me, I'll really appreciate it
Where do I send it?
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by emaskocoded(m): 8:25pm On Jan 28, 2022
Tallesty1:
Where do I send it?

+2348103551974 (WhatsApp)

OR

emaskocoded@gmail.com

Thanks, I really appreciate
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by emaskocoded(m): 8:27pm On Jan 28, 2022
Tallesty1:
Where do I send it?

08103551974 (WhatsApp)

OR

emaskocoded@gmail.com

Thanks, I really appreciate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Foods That Benefits The Body, But Harm The Teeth. / Girl Burnt By Hot Water Dies After Battling With Serious Injuries. Photos / Ayeni Adeyemi David dies while trying to save electrocuted neighbor. PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.