Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List (1795 Views)

"I Did Not Come To Buy Human Being" - Groom Ran After Seeing Marriage List!! / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / Marriage Price List In Benue State - Igbo Lady Shares Brother's Marriage List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by jmoore(m): 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2022
We have monetized marriage in this country.

For the first time I went for introduction. Not my own introduction. The father of the fiancee said 26,000 naira was the price to collect the marriage list. I thought the fiancé will give anything he likes to collect the marriage list.

The fiancée is from Abia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by GboyegaD(m): 1:44pm On Jan 13, 2022
Why is he asked to pay? Is this some custom or just trying to collect as much as they can from the groom?

I never knew you go get the list. I thought they send it to the bride who then deliberate with her fiancé and agree on what is comfortable for them. This was my experience and that of my friends ooo.

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Zee0007: 1:50pm On Jan 13, 2022
If you do me anyhow, I give your daughter belle. By force you will attend to my needs. No time. They just want to kill men with bring this and that ontop woman wey go still misbehave.

11 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by DaniDani(m): 1:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
Your father in law is extremely greedy and without conscience. Ask other from that clan if it's the norm.

5 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Bola146(f): 2:04pm On Jan 13, 2022
Haaaa.... That was too much ke, the lady should have stopped that, her father is too greedy grin grin haba . The husband to be should be ready to spend millions on dowry only, another millions on ceremonies. They will keep demanding

9 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by dominique(f): 2:12pm On Jan 13, 2022
jmoore:

For the first time I went for introduction. Not my own introduction. The father of the fiancee said 26,000 naira was the price to collect the marriage list. I thought the fiancé will give anything he likes to collect the marriage list.

Why should/must the groom to be pay money to collect bride price list? The whole list can't cost more than N500 to print out at a business centre. They may call it culture and tradition, I call it greed.

8 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Acidosis(m): 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2022
You people still do introduction, where you tag along your entire family, friends, caterer, and photographers?

Men complain about costly and flamboyant weddings only online. In real life, many of these guys are toothless and too weak to effect any real change.

You guys should go and pay the money and quit complaining!

5 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by jmoore(m): 3:28pm On Jan 13, 2022
Acidosis:
You people still do introduction, where you tag along your entire family, friends, caterer, and photographers?

Men complain about costly and flamboyant weddings only online. In real life, many of these guys are toothless and too weak to effect any real change.

I don't understand your point. Would you charge your daughter's fiancé 26,000 naira or more before you give him the marriage list?

6 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Sonnobax15(m): 3:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
lipsrsealed
Yes you must do..

1 Like

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Acidosis(m): 5:14pm On Jan 13, 2022
jmoore:

I don't understand your point. Would you charge your daughter's fiancé 26,000 naira or more before you give him the marriage list?

My point is that they charged your friend because he agreed to a "big" introduction.

And no, I won't charge my daughter's fiance anything. We don't have such traditions and even if there were trends like that, I would have them scrapped.

3 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by aanuoluwami14(f): 5:39pm On Jan 13, 2022
If the lady can't defend her husband to be not to pay, the husband to be is in soup. Are they selling off their daughter? My father wouldn't do that.

4 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by jmoore(m): 6:30pm On Jan 13, 2022
Acidosis:

My point is that they charged your friend because he agreed to a "big" introduction.

And no, I won't charge my daughter's fiance anything. We don't have such traditions and even if there were trends like that, I would have them scrapped.
Big introduction? Him, 2 brothers and a friend. There was nothing big about the introduction. No photographers.
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 13, 2022
Coming from a poor family isn't a crime in fact na catalyst for greatness to those that think well. But u see those poor and myopic ones they see nothing good in their situation thereby leeching and bleeding any nd everything that comes their way. OP I pity u abi ur friend if u/ he eventually marry from such families. Your partners family is very important and before u go any further do it background checks on them to avoid dying before ur time

5 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by RoyalBoutique(m): 7:30pm On Jan 13, 2022
This is the beginning of your problems in that marriage.

Run away like hell.
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by annayawchee: 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2022
They are criminals...
Ndi omenelu

List no dey pass 1k

Better evaporate from that poverty ridden family
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by pocohantas(f): 10:17pm On Jan 13, 2022
Yes they do. Not up to 23k the last time I checked. But then, there is hyperinflation hah? Maybe e affect their list. Greedy lots. cheesy

There are various stages of marrying traditionally in Igboland.

The first stage is IKU AKA N’UZO. Which is more like the introduction or enquiry stage.

STAGE 2, you meet the Umuanna. They will question you, ask your state and family. They need this information to do due diligence before you come again.

The money for the list is paid to the secretary, who is most times a WOMAN. Sometimes they collect okporoko, malt, beer, anyara and ose oji in addition to this. According to them, they use these things to entertain themselves in the meeting where they would tell the rest that you came and would be back.

1 & 2 are merged in modern times as most people are in town and working. No one has time to make various trips to the village or wherever. The list can be given to you anytime in 1 or 2.

STAGE 3, BRIDE PRICE PAYMENT AND IGBA NKWU. I put them together because they are also merged in modern times.

Marrying in some parts of Igbo land is capital intensive. That is why our men wait till they are 45, then they start looking for one 200L girl to marry.

One greatest misconception on IGBO MARRIAGE is that the bulk of the money goes to the girl’s family. This is a LIE.

There are five major recipients of a list.
1- Umuada
2- Umunna
3- Youths
4- Father
5- Mother

There is no part of the list that is dedicated to the woman who is expected to SUBMIT and take bullshit because you “BOUGHT” her.

Igbos are very communal people. Everyone owns a child. I have too many uncles I have to call and keep up with because I don’t know when I will need them. Okay, I know situations I would need them grin. It was hard at first, but I have gotten used to it.

Most enlightened and understanding families would waive the father and mother part because that is the only part they can EASILY control. Not like they can’t do stronghead and fight, but there is this feeling of, you have been taking your share from other son in-laws, now you no want make your own drop something. Lol. Which face you go use dey go meeting?

So in situations where the guy can actually afford it, they choose not to interfere. Let him just settle the outsiders and the family can sort themselves out.

Last last, anaghi alucha nwanyi alucha. EVERYTHING is negotiable. Do the one you can do and leave the rest.

Bride price wasn’t meant to be a poverty alleviation program. Bride price is not selling the bride. Bride price doesn’t mean any man should turn his wife to slave. Bride price is symbolic. It tests the SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY of a man. It signifies an appreciation of the job done to raise the woman you deemed fit to make an addition to yours. Which is why till date, Igbo men have a sense of responsibility to their family that can’t be unrivalled by any other tribe on the average.

Some families/states in SE have turned it to something else and even pride in how expensive their women are. I won’t say anything. After all the decision was taken by the LOGICAL GENDER. They can fix it when they want to.

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Truvelisback(m): 10:27pm On Jan 13, 2022
Na buy u wan buy the girl be dat. Ask dem, how much be last price?
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by iamyemiakins(m): 11:00pm On Jan 13, 2022
Hope the lady is a virgin tho, before we start talking about any payment to obtain a list for another round of supply undecided
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by anthonyuncle(m): 12:09am On Jan 14, 2022
it's for transport to go and get the list.
they intend to use uber
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by JeffreyJunior: 1:19am On Jan 14, 2022
You mean in Abia state? angry

Hmmm. It's like they will keep their daughter biko.

Son of man can't borrow to pay bride price and also borrow to collect ordinary marriage list.
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Nobody: 6:54am On Jan 14, 2022
jmoore:

Abia lol. igbos and Yorubas are too expensive interms of marriage. Hausas and fulanies r the cheapest. Pay this pay that and then do everything for the wedding without the girl contributing and bringing a dime to the house. Well if you love her. Don't hesitate. Just keep it coming
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Nobody: 6:55am On Jan 14, 2022
Zee0007:
If you do me anyhow, I give your daughter belle. By force you will attend to my needs. No time. They just want to kill men with bring this and that ontop woman wey go still misbehave.
give her Belle. If this is fine to ur sister will you be happy??
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by FairlyUSEDpussy: 6:44pm On Jan 14, 2022
Only in igboland Oooo........

My own blood brother........did is own court and traditional wedding last December.......

And there.......was no money collected to bring wedding list!!!!!
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Spherical77(m): 6:56pm On Jan 14, 2022
Zee0007:
And you think the daughter is stupid enough to get pregnant out of wedlock? You think the daughter is senseless enough not to flush the pregnancy out or what? Unless the daughter na ODE then you can get away with your manipulation
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by ImaIma1(f): 8:29pm On Jan 14, 2022
Acidosis:

It's Yorubas that make it a big ceremony. In my place, introduction is done in the sitting room with just close family. They don't even see the bride, except a special request is made with a drink and cash. And the bride is dressed as she would dress at home.
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by FairlyUSEDpussy: 8:49pm On Jan 14, 2022
[quote author=ImaIma1 post=109373383]

[s]It's Yorubas that make it a big ceremony. [/s]In my place, introduction is done in the sitting room with just close family. They don't even see the bride, except a special request is made with a drink and cash. And the bride is dressed as she would dress at home.

[/quotes

jux say what u know!!!

Yoruba don’t make anything big Kankan.....
How many Yoruba wedding have u been to to arrive at that??

If u wanna make elaborate wedding........yorubas will welcome dat........and if u wanna make it lowkey offcourse they wouldn’t bother u........
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by ImaIma1(f): 9:05pm On Jan 14, 2022
[quote author=FairlyUSEDpussy post=109373882][/quote]

I'm talking about their introductions. They even do "and co" native...agbada and...Almost nothing different between a introduction and traditional marriage.

And no need to take offence. I'm only saying what I know because I have Yoruba family.
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by FairlyUSEDpussy: 9:13pm On Jan 14, 2022
ImaIma1:

I'm talking about their introductions. They even do "and co" native...agbada and...Almost nothing different between a introduction and traditional marriage.

And no need to take offence. I'm only saying what I know because I have Yoruba family.

Still telling u what u know not........

What u confusing for INTRODUCTION IS TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE RITE........

The fact.........u have been to elaborate ones doesn’t mean all r like dat.........
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by Kobojunkie: 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2022
jmoore:

Administrative cost of efforts that go into compiling the list naw..... you go pay undecided
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by FairlyUSEDpussy: 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2022
ImaIma1:

Introduction.......is a meeting between the 2 families so as to know each other........which usually take place in the sitting of the brides father........

Anything apart is there traditional wedding........
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by jmoore(m): 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Administrative cost of efforts that go into compiling the list naw..... you go pay undecided
Is it a novel? List that is not more than 4 pages. Hian!!
Re: I Never Knew You Have To Pay Money Before Collecting Marriage List by pansophist(m): 10:12pm On Jan 14, 2022
Marriage in naija is just so stressful. It's like a scheme to make men bankrupt. Many of my friends who married Europeans were even giving money and gift by the girl's parent to start their family, meanwhile back home, this guys will be roasted.

I realise that the wealthier the family, the less burdensome marriage will be for the man. But the poorer the girl's family, the man even after paying so much, donate his blood and it won't still be enough. Men, marry wisely.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Chisom Only A Female Name Or Both Sexes? / Mother........eight Lies Of A Mother / Urgent Advice Needed (find Attached Chat Between two Friends)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.