Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Married To The Enemy (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Married To The Enemy (A Short Story) (412 Views)

Familiar Enemy (A Short Christian Story By Glorie Adepoju) / Unknown Enemy - A Romance Story / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Married To The Enemy (A Short Story) by frankwriter(m): 8:43am On Jan 14, 2022
***Married To The Enemy***

Toochi was one of those girls who walked down the aisle while still in school. She was in her third year in the University when her status quo changed from Miss to Mrs. Among my course mates, Toochi was the least everyone expected to tie the knot then–but life happened, she left the singlehood.

I could remember vividly the days Harrison, her lover then, and now husband was visiting her in school. I won’t forget in a hurry that particular day he met me at Toochi's apartment. Hell almost got loose.
Harrison got flared up even without enquiring whom I was to Toochi, and why I came to see her. Before Toochi could talk, he already concluded I was one of those her 'sidechick’ that won’t let her concentrate on her studies. The look on Toochi’s face spoke volume of violence. She hissed and talked off. I couldn’t stand the embarrassment, I took my leave immediately.
The truth is, Toochi and I were very close to the extent that people who saw us regularly presumed there were strings attached. Hey! There was no shit!

4th September, 2017 was the day I helplessly watched my best friend marry the love of her life. Nothing stopped me from being live at Coal City, to witness the holy matrimony of my dear friend and course mate. Few other course mates were present too. The bond between Toochi and I was really strong, and somehow I felt bad she was transiting from singlehood to the other phase. Don’t get it twisted. I was never a witch, I was really happy for her but I knew exactly what her new status meant to our friendship – no more causal visit and rest of the friendship stuffs. Toochi knew my pain too but best friend got no option than to embrace fate.
The wedding was a huge success. There were more than enough to eat and drink. I remember walking close to Toochi and whispering something into her ears. She was all smiles. Aside from the departmental gifts we came with, I presented my own personal gift. She did appreciate my kind gesture.
____

The following year, we bagged our first degrees and left the University. Then, She already had her first child, Zikora. Toochi and I still talked, but it was once in a blue moon. The last time we talked, she told me about her husband’s departure from the country.
“Harrison is now in Cameroon. He mostly visit Nigeria once in two months,” she said and I paraphrase.
Toochi has always felt safe sharing everything with me – even after she got married. She might probably not trust me – but she knew I wouldn’t betray her. She really liked me then on Campus, but she was older than I. There was lesser chances of us ending up together too. Poor me, I never had the courage to even ask her out, I knew it might ruin our friendship. So, I kept my cool and enjoyed what we shared.

Then, when Harrison came with the marriage proposal, she told me she wasn’t ready. But her parents wanted her to get married, prolly because they were financially unstable to source her school fees and that of her siblings. Her intention was to marry after school but the pressure from her father, coupled with Harrison who was desperate to settle down.
____
Two years later, Clarion call came, I was posted to serve at Delta State. The first thing that rushed through my head was the opportunity to meet Toochi again. Toochi and her kids were residing at the same local government area I was posted. It was a stone throw from my apartment, Okpanam, precisely.
When we talked over the phone, she told me when it would be convenient to pay her a visit. I was really excited, patiently counting down till Sunday evening.
It was drizzling when I got dressed and left my apartment. I wore my recently sewed “senator” material, a brown shoe and a leather wrist watch. It didn’t take long before I located their apartment, not far from Midwifery junction.

She was very happy seeing my face again. The feeling was mutual too. Toochi looked like she came out of a hole when she opened the door. Her dull eyes brightened into a smile as she welcomed me. I reached out for the sofa and sat, while she drew the curtains and opened the windows, light illuminated in the sitting room.
Physically, Toochi really metamorphosed; she looked pale and worn-out. The Toochi I knew back in school was gone. What could be the cause? I pondered. Maybe because she now has three kids – I said within, while my eyes roved round the room. There were different coloured portrait of Toochi and her husband hanged on the walls. Another had Zikora's face. The interior design of the house wasn’t looking bad. The smell of baby powder filled the room.

“Corper Frank, what will you like to drink?” asked Toochi.
The “corper” attached to my name made me laugh, and she knew I was going to laugh over it.
“Erm, just give me anything soft.”
“Hmm, so, you haven’t changed? When will you start taking alcoholic beverages?”
“Probably, when I turn eighteen.”

We both laughed over it. Toochi reached for the freezer at the dinning, and returned with a chilled Malt. She sat beside me and teased me about growing taller and growing beards too. I was all smiles. A slight whining of the door caused me to turn back. A girl walked in with a black nylon, possibly containing foodstuffs.

“Good afternoon ma; good afternoon sir,” she uttered in one breathe.
“Welcome.”
“That’s Cynthia, my sister’s first daughter. She has been my helping hands,” Toochi announced.

Moments later, after we talked and gossiped about some of our course mates and old school gist, I asked Toochi how her marriage life had been so far. She was mute for seconds. I never knew the gravity of the question I asked until she started crying. My heart skipped the moment I saw tears.

“Toochi, what happened? Why are you crying?” I was puzzled.
She couldn’t stop, even when she tried to hold herself. A shiver ran down my spine as I scratched my wet hair.
“Mummy, why are you crying?” Zikora asked, almost crying.
“Toochi, can you just stop? Your children are looking at you,” I pleaded.

Silence.

She later went in and returned with a dry face. I heaved a big sigh of relief. When she finally sat and cleared throat, Toochi began to share her hellish conditions in the name of being married to Harrison. Toochi wouldn’t have shared her story if I was a regular friend, but she opened up because of the bond we had.

“Ever since Harrison and I got married, it has been one problem or another. Even before he left the country, he treated me like I was a nobody. No love. No compassion – all he did was find fault in every single thing I did.”

Silence.

My stomach dropped. I was dumbfounded. All I did was stare confusedly and dissatisfied with her story.
“The worst was after I gave birth to twins, I had several complications with my body system. The doctor had advised I stopped doing much work, so as not to cause me more damages. He further advised I close birth chapter, if I really want to live.”
“You mean the doctor said you stop having babies?” I adjusted vehemently.
“Yes. He actually advised. The last operation almost cost my life,” tears dropped from her eyes.
“So, what was your husband’s reaction? What did he say?”
“Hmm, Harrison? He said the doctor was stupid for telling him how many kids he should have.”

I thought I would have any tangible advice to give her after my years of reading Marriage and Relationships related books by famous authors. Here, I was lost. I didn’t know what to tell my dear friend. Her 'situationship' seems so complicating.

“Are your parents aware of this?”
“My mother is fully aware. She was here some months ago for my Omugwo. But she travelled to Abuja last week to be with my sister, who was delivered of a baby boy two weeks ago. Before she left, all she kept telling me was to endure and pray for him always. I’m tired already.”

Tears trickled down as she blinked her eyes.I couldn’t even sip the drink in my possession anymore. My dear friend was in for “endurance marriage” like, how long would she endure all of this? It was absolutely not the kind of vibes I expected from Harrison. I left Toochi's apartment feeling so traumatized and disappointed. Life happens, but my Toochi deserves better.

The last time Toochi and I spoke, she was crying over the phone, and when I asked what the problem was, she said she was two months pregnant. Additionally, she revealed she saw a WhatsApp conversation between her husband and a supposed home breaker whom he saved her number as 'Love of my life'.
“In case she dies, like her doctor said, you’ll become the mother to my born and unborn child.” A part of the conversation she read to my hearing.

Damn! Toochi is in a deep shit. Her heart is shattered, and she now lives in fear of the unknown. Would she make it out of the labour room after nine months? The thought that always filled her mind. The supposed love of her life had turn to be the enemy of her life.

©️2021
Franklin Chinonso Okoligan

Twitter & IG frankwriter1

#Storyteller

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Unmarried Couple / Copywriter needed / Get A Real Writer Now!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.