Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners (892 Views)

This Is Why I Don't Talk To My Boss Anymore. Did I Do The Right Thing? / Help!!! My Boyfriend Says I Lack Table Manners Because Of This. / Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by iezeiyida(m): 6:44pm On Jan 17, 2022
Hello Nairalanders

Vividly, do I remember when I was a kid of 7, and my parents straightly taught myself and my brothers table manners, one of which was not to talk while eating.

One great Saturday morning, I was having a breakfast at the dinning with my tough dad and sweet mummy, 3 of my older brothers around and one of my bald-headed, genius uncle.

Unexpectedly, I looked down and saw a spider approaching angrily towards the leg of my uncle but we were straightly instructed to sit comfortably, keep silent and don't talk while eating. As a meek child, I was afraid talking because I don't like being punished so the spider that seemed intentional reached its destination and kissed my uncle's big toe with a sharp sting and he cried out, loudly

When I grew up, I realised I wasn't wrong. I don't blame my parents. Even a professor can make a mistake while teaching his students. But, I think the right thing I'll teach my kids by the grace of God is, 'don't talk unnecessarily while eating, not to not talk at all even when there's need to.

So what's your opinion? I'm I still wrong with my childhood action engineered by fear of punishment? Or I'm right with my believe that people can talk while eating but not unnecessary, irrelevant talk to avoid, E Chokegringrin
Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by chatinent: 6:47pm On Jan 17, 2022
Spider or scorpion?

1 Like

Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by WoundedLamb: 6:57pm On Jan 17, 2022
If people don't talk while eating, what's then the point of dining together? I think your people meant to say you shouldn't talk with food in your mouth.

1 Like

Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by Sonnobax15(m): 7:00pm On Jan 17, 2022
cheesy
Childhood memories are sweet cha..

But back in the days when men were boys, talking during eating was considered as one of the major ingredients and spices that makes our meal to be complete cool
Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by iezeiyida(m): 7:05pm On Jan 17, 2022
WoundedLamb:
If people don't talk while eating, what's then the point of dining together? I think your people meant to say you shouldn't talk with food in your mouth.
Even with food in your mouth, you can talk when something important necessitiates you talk
Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by WoundedLamb: 7:25pm On Jan 17, 2022
iezeiyida:

Even with food in your mouth, you can talk when something important necessitiates you talk

Of course, your mouth is never padlocked.

These things are just etiquette rules and one can't argue against thier validity on the bases of the fact that there are exceptions cause, quite frankly, there are exceptions to virtually everything and if we focus on those possible exceptions, then they'd be no rule. Kids should respect thier parents is not an invalid advice simply because we know there are situations where the parents are wrong. Talking with food in your mouth is not ideal. That's the point here. A kid who doesn't say anything when a deadly animal is about to attack his uncle just because they're scared of thier parents' reaction has a problem, and the problem is not the rule itself but the parenting style; the fear factor.
Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by OloshoMan: 7:32pm On Jan 17, 2022
But why do people say "let's talk about it over dinner"?
Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by Bluezy13(m): 7:34pm On Jan 17, 2022
The etiquette that became a norm was simply incited by choking when talking while eating.
So to avoid choking while eating, especially peppery food...our forefathers adopted the etiquette, attached good grooming to it and it became a norm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Talk While Eating, One Erroneous Rule Of Table Manners by Sekoni003(m): 9:53pm On Jan 17, 2022
Bluezy13:
The etiquette that became a norm was simply incited by choking when talking while eating.
So to avoid choking while eating, especially peppery food...our forefathers adopted the etiquette, attached good grooming to it and it became a norm.

I agree. It was mainly to guard against choking on food then it gradually evolved into an etiquette. That said, it's perfectly acceptable to talk over food. What matters is: don't talk with your mouth full and don't chew with your mouth open. Imagine going on a dinner date and waiting till you're done eating before talking with your date cheesy. No etiquette is cast in iron. That's where common sense and good judge on comes in to effectively adjust based on what the situation demands...

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Worst Alcoholic Drink(s) / True Story / Please Guys What Are The Procedures For This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.