Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help (21731 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / Tenant Who Was Served Quit Notice Builds Beautiful House Opposite Landlord / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Digmygold: 8:24am On Jan 19, 2022
Comedian2019:

On what grounds pls?

They are many. If he wants to use his property, if he needs to urgently renovate, if the tenant remaining there can cause him harm,if the tenant is destroying his property, if the tenant is owing. There are very many grounds but these are just a few of them.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by CaptainFM1: 8:29am On Jan 19, 2022
Rogerss:

The letter said at the expiration of your rent.
Your rent expires in 2023.
He cannot throw you out.
Look for a rent tribunal if he does.
The Lawyer is a charge and bail one.
He is expected to give a quit notice at the expiration of your rent assuming you are not renewing which you have 6 months to come to an agreement with.
He however brought that the notice before expiration of the rent which is not the law, hence charge and bail.

There's a caveat in the notice Sir. "If he cannot pay the new rent after the expiration of his tenancy". Meaning he's allowed to stay till 2023. But the truth here is that he has angered the Landlord by subletting his house. He has no right to do so. What is troubling him now is how he will put the new incriment forward to his baby tenant that just moved in.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by FaithBrain1994(m): 8:31am On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:

Are they even giving that option to me ? And again what's the point in taking they money ? It has definitely depreciated. If I had invested it into something it would have yielded profits nh
Oya go to court and spend more and let's see who will lose most. Shea u no wan collect ur money and move on? File for litigation and allow me hear a word Alpha guy
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by oka4ugoo: 8:39am On Jan 19, 2022
Digmygold I'm in Onitsha send me an e-mail, I can help you out

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by cherryCola: 8:54am On Jan 19, 2022
smarttm:

You rent out someone's property and asking if its right to serve you a notice to quit...

Olodo he only rented the shop out he did
not sell it undecided .
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by OlujobaSamuel: 8:55am On Jan 19, 2022
Oyiboman69:
a room can be sublet by a tenants provided its within the period of it's due date....
It is not a lease, it's rent, there's some degree of difference between a lease and rent. You don't sublet a rent without the owners consent, either it's in the contract of agreement not to do so or not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by oilmane(m): 9:06am On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:
Good morning everyone.
Please I had a shop I was making use of till I gained admission 8nto the university and still paid for the shop without use for over 2 years...
After the pandemic in 2020, I decided to rent the shop out cause I was seriously affected and was already in my final year... I paid two years rent for the shop, running from February 2021to January 2023. Then I got a letter about rent increase, few months it was followed by the court order...

Please is this right? What should I do ?
The first picture is the receipt I was issued after payment, the 2nd is the increase letter and then the one sent from the court.

The rent you pay the man still subsist so e nor suppose increase the rent until the expiration of you rent, you too nor suppose sublet the property, but you even sure say that quit notice na genuine? Why e go carry suit number when e nor b case? Them go get hearing for quit notice abi quit notice don turn suit way e day carry suit number? Go see a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by barag(f): 9:08am On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:
Good morning everyone.
Please I had a shop I was making use of till I gained admission 8nto the university and still paid for the shop without use for over 2 years...
After the pandemic in 2020, I decided to rent the shop out cause I was seriously affected and was already in my final year... I paid two years rent for the shop, running from February 2021to January 2023. Then I got a letter about rent increase, few months it was followed by the court order...

The first picture is the receipt I was issued after payment, the 2nd is the increase letter and then the one sent from the court.

That quit notice is rubbish. Ignore it

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Comedian2019: 9:22am On Jan 19, 2022
Digmygold:

They are many. If he wants to use his property, if he needs to urgently renovate, if the tenant remaining there can cause him harm,if the tenant is destroying his property, if the tenant is owing. There are very many grounds but these are just a few of them.
Would evicting a tenant because one wants to use one's property not a breach of contract?
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by erico2k2(m): 9:41am On Jan 19, 2022
henrybangs44:

Omooo it's not right. You paid the money when the value of the money was stronger. Meaning he enjoyed the money and spent it at a time it has more value, the increase in rent can't affect you until after the two years have expired. If to say you are to pay after the two years then it will affect you because the value of the money has reduced, but since you paid at that time, means u have paid for the value in full and since he has accepted the money at that time means he's okay with the deal.

Just look at this scenario.
You sell TVs
You bought 1 at N50 say in 2014
You sold it to me at N60. I did not carry the TV but I gave you the money.
DVD is N20 at the time, so you bought 3 with it.
This means that you have enjoyed the value of the money as it is. So even if u come back after 10 years your TV will still be yours without having to add any money when TVs are now N80

But had it been u only priced the TV and didn't give him the money...u can't come after years when the TV prices are high and expect him to still collect the same price because things have gone up and the price has increased.

So your Landlord has no right to collect any additional money from you if you paid when the money has more value
Did you lot not read thr bit where he said he sublets the shop

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Donchieli: 9:43am On Jan 19, 2022
And lose woefully

As junior landlord wer he be

Steinmann:
Take the war to them at court.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by erico2k2(m): 9:43am On Jan 19, 2022
barag:

That quit notice is rubbish. Ignore it
Did U read the bit where OP admitted he subletting the property??

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by erico2k2(m): 9:46am On Jan 19, 2022
oilmane:

The rent you pay the man still subsist so e nor suppose increase the rent until the expiration of you rent, you too nor suppose sublet the property, but you even sure say that quit notice na genuine? Why e go carry suit number when e nor b case? Them go get hearing for quit notice abi quit notice don turn suit way e day carry suit number? Go see a lawyer.
if it has no form of number to the document how would anyone reference it?the so called suit number is for reference purpose.The tenant pit himself in the mud when he chose to sublet the shop.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 9:46am On Jan 19, 2022
backbencher:

Where to start

1. You rented shop and you were not using it

2. You then turned to junior landlord and rented out the same shop that you were renting

3. No wonder the landlord chased you out

4. Anyway, did you sign a written rental agreement with the landlord?
Did the agreement allow you to do what you have been doing IE rent out the shop that you are renting?
If it didn't,no wonder.
Also did the agreement state that the landlord could adjust the terms of the agreement if ' situations changed'?

1. I have been staying in the shops location doing small business to see myself through school. Then I was asked to vacate the shop cause they wanna renovaye and rent to someone else. I vacated and entered another shop and they came with the same story, I was then chased to the back, back. That was why I stopped staying there. I started selling clothes in school to pull through. So my reason for paying for the ship without making use of it is so that when I'm done with school and I see money, I'll switch to selling clothes as everyone around there does...
2. Renting out shops is something everyone around does (maybe I wasn't supposed to). That's why I put up the post to LEARN. And things got real hard that's why I rented it out. If not for the pandemic that spoilt my business in school, I'd keep paying without use till I graduate and ready to start selling clothes there.
4. We had no agreement that I could rent out, we also didnt have any agreement that he could increase the rent anytime he wanted.
I've not seen the landlord before or the lawyer. I pay through his office and the day I made that two years payment, I made mention of it to the secretary.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Donchieli: 9:47am On Jan 19, 2022
Nope it doesn't
It only a breach if you didn't allow the tenant enough time to adjust to the new situation depending on the tenancy agreement

And if you did refund if the eviction doesn't cover the end of tenancy agreement

If tenant rent go expire December and u don get money to renovate house for January shey u go wait

Comedian2019:

Would evicting a tenant because one wants to use one's property not a breach of contract?
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by chukwugoziegi: 9:49am On Jan 19, 2022
erico2k2:

Did U read the bit where OP admitted he subletting the property??

They jumped that place and pass. Na only the quit notice dem see come dey help OP flex muscle. It is OP I pity because he has no case. Subletting another man's property without his consent.

He go explain for court.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 9:50am On Jan 19, 2022
CaptainFM1:

There's a caveat in the notice Sir. "If he cannot pay the new rent after the expiration of his tenancy". Meaning he's allowed to stay till 2023. But the truth here is that he has angered the Landlord by subletting his house. He has no right to do so. What is troubling him now is how he will put the new incriment forward to his baby tenant that just moved in.

Check when the letter of increase came. It came after I've paid and rented it out sir. I'm not planning on increasing the rent for the guy. If I had that in mind, I'd have given him the condition I was given... to pay around July 2021 to adjust or meet up with the new rent.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 9:57am On Jan 19, 2022
Comedian2019:
Did you sign an agreement? Was there a clause empowering the property owner to increase rent or change terms before your payment expires?
If there's no such clause, then the eviction notice is trash. Until your rent expires, only the court can evict you.
Eviction notice can be challenged in the court. So, call your lawyer.

We didn't sign any agreement sir.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 10:01am On Jan 19, 2022
ogaga4u2:
You rented a shop but you are not using it then you rented the same shop ro another person. You are renting another person's house to somebody else? Did you follow him to build the house Oga?
Did you discuss with the landlord before renting the house to somebody else? If "no" is your answer to the above questions, he has every right to give you quit notice.
Was using the shop to fund my education. Nh as I no see person to stay there 4 me and mk we close am and maintained ownership cause I had plans to use the shop after my schooling. But then the pandemic threatened the continuation of my education, I had to rent the shop to finish up with school.
Condition bro... condition, conditions a man.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by ObamaMessi: 10:06am On Jan 19, 2022
FightToDeath:
I asked I to leave my property because you are always smoking and causing nuisance and u came here to defame me
Thief! Come and i'll give ur flesh to the birds of the sky.I'll rob u and share your properties to others
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 10:07am On Jan 19, 2022
tonyson010:

That is bullying because no reason for the quit notice. There is an issue between the two which the OP is not revealing.
The guy is also stubborn. He just squeezed the letter and dumbed it somewhere. Probably based on advice he decided to retrieve it.

Don't be judgemental bro. That letter was pasted on the wall close to the shop and in the cause of removing it from the wall (it was gummed) it rumpled. And I was not the one that handled the letter, it was d occupant of the shop.
Please I need advise not the judgements.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 10:11am On Jan 19, 2022
tonyson010:

That is bullying because no reason for the quit notice. There is an issue between the two which the OP is not revealing.
The guy is also stubborn. He just squeezed the letter and dumbed it somewhere. Probably based on advice he decided to retrieve it.
And I have no issue with them. I have been around that place since 2015 and 8ve never delayed my rent. Even while in school and not making use of the shop, I still do all I can to pay the rent and maintain that place.

I just rented out so I'll be able to further my education... we all had a taste of the pandemic you know...
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 10:12am On Jan 19, 2022
chukwugoziegi:
Subletting your shop to another person was totally wrong. If you signed any form of agreement with him not to do so, trust me if he takes that agreement to court, you'll be in soup.

As for the quit notice thing, you can only move when you rent expires, if you move before then, he'll have to refund your balance to you.

Both of you are at fault tbh.

And I really don't know why Landlords collect 2years rent. 1 year is enough. That 2 years just dey long and unnecessary.

We had no agreement sir.
Thanks for your input
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 10:21am On Jan 19, 2022
chukwugoziegi:

I agree. He is probably one of those Troublemaking tenants who do not respect their Landlords. If this one rent house from a woman, he fit beat am one day when she asks for her money.

But the landlord too get him wahala sha. Seems to be a greedy pig. 2years rent.

Dear Landlords on this Forum, thatAgreement form is very important! Always list your dos and don'ts please and have them go through it before they even pay their rent.

Never had any issues with the landlord, I only go to the office to pay my rent and I've never delayed a week sef... so where is your judgement coming from ?
I admit to renting out (which wasn't my plan) but I was pushed to do so cause of the collapse of my business and I had to return to school.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 10:24am On Jan 19, 2022
Tosdam:
1. You act is dubious as well, why would you turn junior landlord in someone's else property? That's the behavior of some of your people here in Lagos. After renting a shop, they will keep it and give it to another person at another alarming price.

2. This act is particularly common among the ibos in the name of "it is business". It's one of the reasons many shops are expensive in Lagos Market Today.

3. Imagine act like bring 2.5m, let me sell the shop to you so that you can start paying the landlord the exact figure directly. Does that make any sense to you people?

4. You are the reason the landlord increase the tenancy fee and there is nothing you can do about it.

5. When you don't need the shop, why did you rent it?

6. If you want to earn from properties, build yours.

7. Landlord gave you 8k per month, I am sure the landlord had been told everything you collected from the tenant of yours before taking the money to 13k.
5. I was using the shop b4 I had money 8ssues and stopped. Oga mi, I started using the shops there way back 2015 when the place was dirty, rain beat me wella for there. After staying there and it starts developing, I had to secure the shop for use. My reason for paying for the shop while not using it was just to finish my schooling so I'll switch and start selling clothes there full time.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by akaahs(m): 10:56am On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:

Are they even giving that option to me ? And again what's the point in taking they money ? It has definitely depreciated. If I had invested it into something it would have yielded profits nh
The kind things we see in Nigeria ehhhh. Why the court eviction in the first place without even hear ur own side or the reason for eviction??
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by dvkot(m): 11:04am On Jan 19, 2022
The landlord cannot throw you out. Just go to the court. You'd wim
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Solatium(m): 11:16am On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:
Good morning everyone.

Subletting the property means you have breached the tenancy agreement.
So they have the right to show you the exit
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 11:17am On Jan 19, 2022
oka4ugoo:
Digmygold I'm in Onitsha send me an e-mail, I can help you out

I have done that sire.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 11:19am On Jan 19, 2022
123readygo:
Please don't mind those quasi/half backed lawyers up there. No one can evict you before the expiration of your rent. Just go to court on the day of hearing and present your rent receipt before the court.
Contact your lawyer or you can reach me if you don't have one...

I've sent A mail
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Alvanbenjamin: 11:22am On Jan 19, 2022
Ezeego1:
You have to see off your rent before packing out. Don't mind that man, so far the property wasn't sold to another person.
The shop is at sokoto road inside maim market.

If you cannot handle your landlord contact me i am in onitsha I will help you out.

I've sent a mail

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Real Estate Topic Library (Must Read Before You Buy Any Land Or Property) / How To Build A House In Nigeria / Construction Of Twin 3 Bedroom Duplex In Owerri, Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.