Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,169 members, 7,953,627 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:10 PM

I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help (24389 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / Tenant Who Was Served Quit Notice Builds Beautiful House Opposite Landlord / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Barrister22: 11:52am On Jan 19, 2022
Mr.Okechukwu for a Notice to quit issued to a tenant either by the landlord or his agent to be valid it must determine the tenancy on the eve of anniversary of the period of the tenancy.

In your case, from receipt of rent displayed in the post ,your tenancy ought to run until January,2023.

That Notice to quit is invalid in law.Therefore, the landlord or his agent cannot evict you on that notice.On the other hand, you're entitled to another notice we call," Notice of Owner's intention to recover possession, after which the landlord can properly file a claim.

As a lawyer I am, I can assist you out of that situation if you so wish. My phone and WhatsApp number:08069024670.My office address is at 20 Oguta Road, Onitsha.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Odumanudo: 12:23pm On Jan 19, 2022
Your tenancy will run till its expiration in 2023. This is just a quit notice. Your landlord under the Anambra State Tenancy Law will need to serve you 7 days notice of your landlord intention to take possession Contact a lawyer to handle this matter for you.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2022
cherryCola:

Olodo he only rented the shop out he did
not sell it undecided .
It’s the same difference and it isn’t decent of you to fall to abuse when having a discussion.Rent or sell it wasn’t his to give a third party.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 19, 2022
Oyiboman69:
a room can be sublet by a tenants provided its within the period of it's due date....
False.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by CaptainFM1: 1:02pm On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:

Check when the letter of increase came. It came after I've paid and rented it out sir. I'm not planning on increasing the rent for the guy. If I had that in mind, I'd have given him the condition I was given... to pay around July 2021 to adjust or meet up with the new rent.

Stop been ignorant. You don't sublet people's property. You have no right to do so.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by mapet: 1:06pm On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:
Good morning everyone.
Please I had a shop I was making use of till I gained admission 8nto the university and still paid for the shop without use for over 2 years...
After the pandemic in 2020, I decided to rent the shop out cause I was seriously affected and was already in my final year... I paid two years rent for the shop, running from February 2021to January 2023. Then I got a letter about rent increase, few months it was followed by the court order...

Please is this right? What should I do ?
The first picture is the receipt I was issued after payment, the 2nd is the increase letter and then the one sent from the court.

Legally, you do not have the right to rent the shop out. It is not yours and you cannot collect rent on someone else's property

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by mapet: 1:09pm On Jan 19, 2022
overall90:
I don't think you are providing the whole facts about the case here.
In the letter of increment,it is clearly stated that you can leave at the expiration of your tenancy if you can't pay the new rate meaning the increment is not the reason for the eviction notice.
Methinks you are being evicted because you are subletting the property without the consent of the landlord.
I might be wrong though because this country is one crazy jungle.

That is the illegal act...why he's being kicked out
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by oilmane(m): 2:04pm On Jan 19, 2022
erico2k2:

if it has no form of number to the document how would anyone reference it?the so called suit number is for reference purpose.The tenant pit himself in the mud when he chose to sublet the shop.

Suit number is same thing as case number, it is not reference number, it is only issued for cases that will appear in the cause list in the open court, quit notice like affidavit are not registered with suit number, it is documented and receipt is issued once the fee is paid, the receipt number is what you use to identify it whenever the need arise, (That is how it is done in Delta state though) the guy erred when he sub let the apartment but he can not be ejected until the expiration of his tenancy/rent paid.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Mentholated: 3:33pm On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:
Good morning everyone.
Please I had a shop I was making use of till I gained admission 8nto the university and still paid for the shop without use for over 2 years...
After the pandemic in 2020, I decided to rent the shop out cause I was seriously affected and was already in my final year... I paid two years rent for the shop, running from February 2021to January 2023. Then I got a letter about rent increase, few months it was followed by the court order...

Please is this right? What should I do ?
The first picture is the receipt I was issued after payment, the 2nd is the increase letter and then the one sent from the court.

Why did you cover the total sum of rent you paid for the shop for 2 yrs while showing us that your landlord increased your rent to 13,000 monthly?

I am guessing that you were collecting 13,000 or more monthly from the guy you gave the shop to.

You might have opened another shop you are managing elsewhere and was simply using this one to be making 5000 monthly.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Johnsown1(m): 4:01pm On Jan 19, 2022
As stated in that notice,you can vacate the premises at the end of your tenancy. So your tenancy has not expired yet na. So sip your alcohol. Just hold your receipt and all those cyber cafe work very well.

You don't need to tell people that you rented the shop out, it's not important once your paying for your rent.

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2022
erico2k2:

Did you lot not read thr bit where he said he sublets the shop
It's his shop
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Digmygold: 5:41pm On Jan 19, 2022
Comedian2019:

Would evicting a tenant because one wants to use one's property not a breach of contract?

No its not. As long as he is given due notice in accordance with the duration of tenancy. E.g yearly tenant 6months notice etc but if he hasn't been paying his rent in one piece nor on time, it'lo go down to 3months notice.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by erico2k2(m): 5:42pm On Jan 19, 2022
oilmane:

Suit number is same thing as case number, it is not reference number, it is only issued for cases that will appear in the cause list in the open court, quit notice like affidavit are not registered with suit number, it is documented and receipt is issued once the fee is paid, the receipt number is what you use to identify it whenever the need arise, (That is how it is done in Delta state though) the guy erred when he sub let the apartment but he can not be ejected until the expiration of his tenancy/rent paid.
This is your own understanding.suite number was adopted by courts for their proceeds however the true application of the word suite number is for any case ie case file be it court or social work or any kind of case.O can be an asset management company and adopt suits number for my reference.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by erico2k2(m): 5:43pm On Jan 19, 2022
chukwugoziegi:

They jumped that place and pass. Na only the quit notice dem see come dey help OP flex muscle. It is OP I pity because he has no case. Subletting another man's property without his consent.

He go explain for court.
nor mind them lazy yuts
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Ezeego1(m): 6:51pm On Jan 19, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:

I've sent a mail

OK I'll check it
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by SilvanusII(m): 6:52pm On Jan 19, 2022
I hate lawyers who cannot spell. Is that even a proper law firm? Look for the terms of ur tenantship and find another lawyer. Although I wouldn't want to touch ur case if I were one because u sublet
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by GetMeRight: 7:13pm On Jan 19, 2022
Rogerss:

The letter said at the expiration of your rent.
Your rent expires in 2023.
He cannot throw you out.
Look for a rent tribunal if he does.
The Lawyer is a charge and bail one.
[s] He is expected to give a quit notice at the expiration of your rent assuming you are not renewing which you have 6 months to come to an agreement with. [/s]
He however brought that the notice before expiration of the rent which is not the law, hence charge and bail.

Quit can be given at any time, not just at the expiration of the rent. The only thing is that tenant will still be allowed to complete his tenure. And there won't be any grace period if the notice was served six months earlier

1 Like

Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by oilmane(m): 8:50pm On Jan 19, 2022
erico2k2:

This is your own understanding.suite number was adopted by courts for their proceeds however the true application of the word suite number is for any case ie case file be it court or social work or any kind of case.O can be an asset management company and adopt suits number for my reference.

It is not my understanding but what it is, suit number is the number given to any case/suit before the court and it is only courts that uses suit number. It is only used for cases filed into court, it is not used for any process of court that will not come before the judge.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by tonyson010(m): 8:13am On Jan 20, 2022
Tutu82:

I do hear you tonyson010 but, We cannot tell if there are underlining issues as there are stubborn Landlords and Tenants.
Everyone is just trying to survive by any means necessary.I have properties and my tenants drive me crazy…Anyway i digress,once we all know our rights,we will be sort of okay.

In this country, knowing Ur right is not the issue but being strong to fight for it is the substance.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 20, 2022
tonyson010:

In this country, knowing Ur right is not the issue but being strong to fight for it is the substance.
Each to its own opinion.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by oka4ugoo: 10:33pm On Jan 20, 2022
Alvanbenjamin:

I have done that sire.

Call the number I just sent to ur email, that's my number.
Re: I was Served An Eviction Notice While My Rent Hasn't Expired. Please Help by CassieSunshine(f): 9:58am On Jan 23, 2022
Wickedness of men

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Different Types Of Apartments In Nigeria | Co-tenant / Why Do People Behave Very Wicked Like This / Heat And Mosquitoes: Inside Lagos Neighbourhood Where Residents Hardly Sleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.