Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,843 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike (16564 Views)

Ahead Of NEC Meeting, PDP Governors Move Against Atiku, Wike / 6 PDP Governors Move Against Atiku, Tinubu's Men Reachout To PDP Members / South-West Governors Move To Legalise Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Guavo: 8:08am On Jan 21, 2022
Like they care undecided.

Please I have a question.. If someborry swear for a Mod would it work ?
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by King44(m): 8:09am On Jan 21, 2022
Instead of stopping fuel hike, they a moving to stop the protest... Awon were

Omo... We have to stop falling for stupid campaign promises.

I am wondering how we got here?

PDP was crazy but APC have skuri in the head, the father of craziness.
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Johnames: 8:10am On Jan 21, 2022
Seunosewaismad:
the governor's are enemies of people
I agreed
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by shosky1794: 8:13am On Jan 21, 2022
APC governors shouldn't even be talking about removal of subsidy because stopping the removal was what brought most of them into government in the first place. Most of us who protested against the removal of subsidy in 2012 will be out to protest against it in 2022 also.

1 Like

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by psalmistkakah(m): 8:13am On Jan 21, 2022
This A. P. C is a devil party chair by the devil himself, when P. D. P wanted to take down fuel subsidy when things were cheap .. these set of morons brain washed Nigerian especially the Hausa... Now they want to repeat the same thing... Tell me, these people will go to hell fire... Mumny G. O said it.
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:16am On Jan 21, 2022
So they are in support of the hike. For every action there is always a reaction. A closed mouth is a closed destiny. They want to continue to close our destiny but it won't work

1 Like

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by franconian: 8:23am On Jan 21, 2022
shosky1794:
You are removing fuel subsidy but still fixing the pump price of petrol. This means they will still talk about removing subsidy after a year or 2. We are being played here

You are very correct. After further devaluation of the naira, the cost of importation will increase and fuel subsidy will return.

3 Likes

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by harjay1986: 8:26am On Jan 21, 2022
Lovenorth:
Our lovely president said he didn't order the subsidy removal, why are these governors hellbent to force the removal?

Most of these government have shares with Dangote refinary so them wan make the price high before the refinary production
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by EmmanuelScott1(m): 8:26am On Jan 21, 2022
Fuel 300, wow we're progressing,

In 2023, tinubu will promise us #150 grin grin, we will vote for him grin
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 21, 2022
shosky1794:
You are removing fuel subsidy but still fixing the pump price of petrol. This means they will still talk about removing subsidy after a year or 2. We are being played here

Yeah, so long as they fix the price, there is a subsidy and the corruption therein
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by TemmyT002(m): 8:31am On Jan 21, 2022
Are the governors okay like this
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by specialmati(m): 8:31am On Jan 21, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin grin we are rounding up next level,if una vote another old papa for that useless APC party na finish level ooh.that time na protest every week
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Leviticuscreed: 8:34am On Jan 21, 2022
The measure they gave to others before them shall they receive press down and shaking together. Uselessness just found his ancestors apc
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by faleyebee: 8:34am On Jan 21, 2022
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Brushstrokes20: 8:38am On Jan 21, 2022
Useless bunch of insatiable, self serving THIEVES!

You will all rest in pieces in the fullness of time undecided

Awon eleribu, ole, jegudu jera, olosha gbogbo!

1 Like

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Lovenorth: 8:42am On Jan 21, 2022
harjay1986:

Most of these government have shares with Dangote refinary so them wan make the price high before the refinary production
They would never succeed by the special grace of God

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by BigYash: 8:42am On Jan 21, 2022
Baawaa:
Those useless governors don't move to stop the hike in the price but they can move against the protest, God will destroy all of them
No,God should destroy their supporters first. Even if it comes to destroying anything. You know why I said so? Most Nigerians loves suffering.. Some are still supporting one old fool ,that says he doesn't want to let Nigeria grow.. I pray this fuel price gets to 1k sef.. Make the mumu supporters get sense..
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by kurupt1: 8:43am On Jan 21, 2022
Anybody that is expecting Nigeria to get better in the future is a mumu.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by ItswellMike: 8:50am On Jan 21, 2022
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by mightyhaze: 9:02am On Jan 21, 2022
100 percent Increase...

Inflation go just hit ceiling..

I pity salary earners

I envy traders/ business owners

1 Like

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Kellyewoma: 9:02am On Jan 21, 2022
I taught buhari said he didn't ask anyone to to remove fuel subsidy, then how come the governor's are now meeting with NLC to stop protest. These people are thieves. The NLC cannot be trusted
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by MultiDot: 9:51am On Jan 21, 2022
The governors can move to stop the protest but let them be assured that they will fail, the same way they failed to stop the End SARS protest. Fayemi and his bunch of looters can deceive themselves on this furtive exercise but let them also be assured that there will be a date with posterity one day. They are turning logic upside down in their reasoning for supporting fuel price increment but I know for certainty that one day the Chicken will come to roost.
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by techWriter3: 10:10am On Jan 21, 2022
the governor's not adversaries of folks
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Teenaira: 10:23am On Jan 21, 2022
Periodic Fuel price increase had come to stay in Nigeria. Protest or no protest. This is purely because we will always continue to have lazy criminals at the hemp of affairs in the country. So let's have a look at some of the reasons for the increase.

1. Price of Crude
Price of Crude is determined by market forces, ( Demand and supply, macro economic indicators, the big boys etc )in international market. So Nigeria does not have too much influence.

2. No functional refinery
See, our leaders are just lazy or they have some ulterior motives. I was very happy when APC were speaking about establishing modular refinery every where in Nigeria. I am still hoping to see one functional refinery any time soon. Any time you raise the issue, somebody will quickly remember 'Dangote Refinery' . Let's assume Dangote was not born, will Nigeria not be able to have a refinery ? I want to believe Nigeria have refineries before Dangote started doing any form of business. So, I keep wandering why we can't get a single functional mid-sized modular refinery without Dangote.
I also want to believe what we have spent on the moribund refineries in the last 10 years is more than enough to build the biggest modular refinery in the world. So you will agree with me that our leaders are either just lazy or are pure criminals using refinery overhaul to siphon money from the economy

3. Exchange rate
We continue to mismanage our foreign currency so our Naira is always on a free fall. There is perpetual demand increase amid an unnecessary continuous supply shortage. Some people are projecting Naira to fall to 1000 to a dollar by Dec., 2022. Don't mind them it won't be that bad but there is every reason to be bothered.

4. Perpectual increase in daily Consumption
Gentlemen, let tell ourselves the truth, this daily Consumption figures are pure lies. Haba ! who are the people consuming this fuel. Definitely not Nigerians. Cars and buses are the biggest consumer of PMS in Nigeria. Are we saying Nigerians are buying cars and buses in such a geometric rate to warrant the astronomical increase in daily Consumption. I suspect Nigeria is importing all the fuel used in West Africa. It is just my suspicion.
ANY SERIOUS GOVERNMENT should focus on reducing this abnormal daily Consumption and not HOW TO REMOVE SUBSIDY. If the daily Consumption reduces significantly, subsidy will reduce significantly too. Since this is our real objective, then let's get every stakeholder to work on reducing the reported daily Consumption and the whole crisis will just die a natural death. However, this is where some big boys are chopping, so it is not really that easy. Infact, if Nigeria can reduce this daily Consumption at least to something close to what it was before the subsidy era, all the pressure on our economy will just disappear.

So my advise to government is to please stop creating more and more problems by removing subsidy, introducing new forms of taxes and other actions that will increase poverty in the country.
Reduce daily Consumption figures and subsidy will automatically reduce.
I don talk my own oh
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Gokoyer1401: 10:38am On Jan 21, 2022
God bless you.
kurupt1:
Anybody that is expecting Nigeria to get better in the future is a mumu.
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by chriscrosss(m): 10:56am On Jan 21, 2022
This people wicked..I repeat dont vote tinubu oooo, they are the same set of cargoes who doesnt have human sympathy.. Wicked APC..
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Nobody: 11:17am On Jan 21, 2022
Thing is, subsidy has to go, with government also hands off the price of fuel

That way we have more savings, more forex, which may slightly improve the value of the naira plus more money for our debts, education , etc, and eventually more and more profitably run refineries.

We should have eaten the frog in the late 1980's..instead we decided to keep a subsidy that has now become an albatross.
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Tombrown3(m): 11:29am On Jan 21, 2022
These people have fuel stations in some west African countries that sell fuel higher than 165naira.

They have the power and money, imagine having about 5 fuel stations in Ghana, you buy at 165 and sell at almost 500naira when converted. They pay those at the borders, you can't stop their tanker trailer moving this fuel to a neighbouring country.

It's such a pity and unfortunate, whatever policy they make is always for their good but never the masses. They so much take advantage of the overpopulation we have in this country.

Omo, naija can never better, the foundation is flawed. Only the second coming of Jesus can make it better.

1 Like

Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 21, 2022
Teenaira:
Periodic Fuel price increase had come to stay in Nigeria. Protest or no protest. This is purely because we will always continue to have lazy criminals at the hemp of affairs in the country. So let's have a look at some of the reasons for the increase.

You get no argument from me there!

1. Price of Crude
Price of Crude is determined by market forces, ( Demand and supply, macro economic indicators, the big boys etc )in international market. So Nigeria does not have too much influence

True, but the thing is, the subsidy we pay in essence forces us to sell fuel at a price that does not take into account international crude prices, excpet when they are very low, so at the end of the day, we spend crude revenue to cover the resulting losses from selling below the actual cost of producing fuel

Rgiht now, it costs over 200 naira , maybe even 300 naira to produce one liter of fuel...and we sell that fuel below N170, and pay a subsidy that thanks to the fluctuations in revenue from crude oil prices fluctuating...plus the debt we get into from fluctuating crude prices, is not sufficent. Everyone loses, and stealing results...as we shall soon see.

2. No functional refinery
See, our leaders are just lazy or they have some ulterior motives. I was very happy when APC were speaking about establishing modular refinery every where in Nigeria. I am still hoping to see one functional refinery any time soon. Any time you raise the issue, somebody will quickly remember 'Dangote Refinery' . Let's assume Dangote was not born, will Nigeria not be able to have a refinery ? I want to believe Nigeria have refineries before Dangote started doing any form of business. So, I keep wandering why we can't get a single functional mid-sized modular refinery without Dangote.
I also want to believe what we have spent on the moribund refineries in the last 10 years is more than enough to build the biggest modular refinery in the world. So you will agree with me that our leaders are either just lazy or are pure criminals using refinery overhaul to siphon money from the economy

Well, the refineries went down because, roughly speaking, government stopped maintaining them to save money on subsidy costs.

A key part of the cost of fuel is maintenance costs of the refinery that produces the fuel. Governments in the past in order to keep fuel below N1 Per liter (Which was where it was at till the early 1990's) skimped on maintenance costs, among other things...the result being that the refineries broke down...and they all went to pieces by 2000. And have been in pieces.

Plus sabotage. When you run a refinery like a government concern...salaries for NNPC workers don't come from profit but from crude oil revenues...which is how NNPC got away with no profits for years...sabotage and 'I DON'T CARE' becomes the order of the day.

That's why subsidy has to go...because if the private refineries are not allowed to make a profit, they would fail for broadly the same reasons.

NIger, that exports fuel to three African countries (our northern neighbour, not the state) sells fuel at N350 and above per liter. No subsidy, They cannot afford it despite being an oil producer. As a result, their refinery earns enough profit to work well

3. Exchange rate
We continue to mismanage our foreign currency so our Naira is always on a free fall. There is perpetual demand increase amid an unnecessary continuous supply shortage. Some people are projecting Naira to fall to 1000 to a dollar by Dec., 2022. Don't mind them it won't be that bad but there is every reason to be bothered.

Well, we aren't earning enough forex. Subsides aren't the reason why we don't have enough forex (we need to diversify away from oil to have enough forex...)but they chop a lot of our forex and prevent more forex in the form of INVESTMENT from coming in.

The day subsidy goes, is the day Dangote monopoly would end. More investors would come in. AFTER ALL...without subsidy fuel would be refined at a PROFIT.

4. Perpectual increase in daily Consumption
Gentlemen, let tell ourselves the truth, this daily Consumption figures are pure lies. Haba ! who are the people consuming this fuel. Definitely not Nigerians. Cars and buses are the biggest consumer of PMS in Nigeria. Are we saying Nigerians are buying cars and buses in such a geometric rate to warrant the astronomical increase in daily Consumption. I suspect Nigeria is importing all the fuel used in West Africa. It is just my suspicion.
ANY SERIOUS GOVERNMENT should focus on reducing this abnormal daily Consumption and not HOW TO REMOVE SUBSIDY. If the daily Consumption reduces significantly, subsidy will reduce significantly too. Since this is our real objective, then let's get every stakeholder to work on reducing the reported daily Consumption and the whole crisis will just die a natural death. However, this is where some big boys are chopping, so it is not really that easy. Infact, if Nigeria can reduce this daily Consumption at least to something close to what it was before the subsidy era, all the pressure on our economy will just disappear.

The reason why the consumption is humongous can be boiled down to two things

1.Corruption. Because subsidy reduces the amount of potential profit in the sector...marketers, suppliers, government officials, etc ...all lie about the petrol they sell because it means they get more subsidy money. Even transporters lie about how much fuel they transport (government pays them a subsidy of sorts to keep fuel transport costs low...and they lie)

2.Smuggling. Fuel costs N162 here. Across the West Africa region and even Central African region, it costs over N350 and rising. (Benin 350, Niger 370, Cameroon N400 and above. Niger and Cameroon produce some oil). So, any joker can buy 50 liters of fuel at 8260 naira and sell it in Benin and Cameroon at 17500 naira, and go home with enough cash to bribe customs offficals and have enough left over.

Smuggling is not just in Nigeria...Venezuela loses $18 billion annually to smuggling. (Fuel is sold at N40 in Venezuela. Meanwhile in Colombia, fuel is sold above N500. If you were an enterprising Venezuelan with 50 Liters of fuel now....)

(And I haven't even mentioned our bad power supply situation and rising population...another issue as well)

So my advise to government is to please stop creating more and more problems by removing subsidy, introducing new forms of taxes and other actions that will increase poverty in the country.
Reduce daily Consumption figures and subsidy will automatically reduce.
I don talk my own oh

Well, oil prices have been too low for us since 2014, when the Americans and the Saudis decided to play a game of chicken with oil prices...we need oil at $133 per barrel to meet our budget goals without borrowing, or begging. (It's called the fiscal breakeven). So, we have to remove subsides, and raise taxes...ESPECIALLY since 30% of taxable Nigerians actually pay taxes (it's just as bad in South Africa, but they use their massive export revenue to cover their asses.We don't have that kind of economy because everyone wants to be importer, not producer)

Or we beg the IMF, and our new Chinese masters for more loans.
Re: Governors Move To Stop The Planned Protest Over Fuel Price Hike by Temptee101(m): 11:40am On Jan 21, 2022
Its no longer a secret that Nigeria has the worst set of politicians worldwide

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Healthier Than You, Afegbua Tells Pat Utomi / Pictures From Margaret Obi & Aisha Datti's Town Hall Meeting With Jigawa Women / Supreme Court: Timi Frank Rejects 'Handpicked' Justices For Atiku's Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.