Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,115 members, 7,828,975 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' (538 Views)

Insecurity: Nigerian Military Accuses Finland Of Encouraging Separatist Leader / Deji Adeyanju Accuses Buhari Of Encouraging Terrorism, Kidnapping In Nigeria / False Narratives To Conceal Fulani Invasion, Jihad.... By Tony Nnadi, Lnc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by blasted12: 5:29am On Jan 22, 2022
A man who made a stabbing gesture as he called for jihad "by sword" at a busy Brighton mosque has been found guilty of encouraging terrorism.

Abubaker Deghayes, 53, was convicted at the Old Bailey following a trial.

He addressed about 50 worshippers, including children, at the Brighton Mosque and Muslim Community Centre on 1 November 2020 after evening prayers.

The judge said he was considering immediate custody for Deghayes, who will be sentenced on 25 February.

Deghayes, from Saltdean in East Sussex, was bailed with conditions to stay at his home address on an electronically monitored curfew. He was told to report to a police station on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

He has been instructed to surrender his passport and not apply for travel documents, and not to attend the Brighton Mosque mentioned in this case.

Judge Nigel Lickley said: "Because of the offence you have been convicted of I must have in the forefront of my mind an immediate custodial sentence."
'Jihad is compulsory'

Prosecutor Ben Lloyd told the jury Deghayes had said "jihad is fighting by sword" and was compulsory.

In a video of the speech played to the court, Deghayes said: "Whose power is more powerful than us? Allah is more powerful than you.

"You, idiots. You kuffar (non-believers)... The non-believer is an idiot. He's stupid."

He went on to say: "Jihad, jihad, jihad. Jihad is compulsory. Jihad is fighting by sword.

"That means this jihad is compulsory upon you, not jihad is the word of mouth but jihad will remain compulsory until the Day of Resurrection."

Mr Lloyd had told jurors that the speech was not given "innocently or naively".

In August 2018, Deghayes, the father of two teenage boys who were killed fighting in Syria, was jailed for attempting to intimidate a witness in a court case against him.

Another son, Abdul, was killed by a convicted drug dealer in February 2019.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-60055075

Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by blasted12: 5:32am On Jan 22, 2022
Any parallels between Nnamdi Kanu's hate speech and this Islamic terrorist? I believe so. For those of you saying that a person cannot be convicted by mere speech alone, I'd like to inform you that you're thoroughly misinformed
Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by Coolsperm: 5:39am On Jan 22, 2022
blasted12:
Any parallels between Nnamdi Kanu's hate speech and this Islamic terrorist? I believe so. For those of you saying that a person cannot be convicted by mere speech alone, I'd like to inform you that you're thoroughly misinformed
my dear this person is a Muslim and you know all muslims are not terorist But all terorist are Muslims, Nnamdi Kanu is not a terorist he does not have mark of beast on his foe head, know this and know peace

1 Like

Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by blasted12: 5:52am On Jan 22, 2022
Coolsperm:
my dear this person is a Muslim and you know all muslims are not terorist But all terorist are Muslims, Nnamdi Kanu is not a terorist he does not have mark of beast on his foe head, know this and know peace
This talk is rubbish and you know it deep down in your bigoted soul. The question remains: Can Nnamdi Kanu be convicted for the similar crime of inciting his followers to commit acts of violence against the state?
Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by matrix199(m): 5:54am On Jan 22, 2022
That's a country that works, unlike one who let's a bandit advocate visit the bandits and speak for them. An advance society would keep a close watch on potential threats, evaluate their threat level, use gestures or physical evidence to zero in on the threats and have them incarcerated before they can commit the crime.
Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by blasted12: 8:34am On Jan 22, 2022
matrix199:
That's a country that works, unlike one who let's a bandit advocate visit the bandits and speak for them. An advance society would keep a close watch on potential threats, evaluate their threat level, use gestures or physical evidence to zero in on the threats and have them incarcerated before they can commit the crime.
Yes well said but that's not the point of the thread. Some people like gidgiddy and co argued that Nnamdi Kanu cannot be changed and convinced for making inciting statements and verbal threats against the state. The aim of this thread is to prove them wrong
Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by Blackfire(m): 8:46am On Jan 22, 2022
Is there anything wrong in what he said
Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by Nobody: 8:54am On Jan 22, 2022
Coolsperm:
What a useles and senseless comment.

2 Likes

Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by matrix199(m): 9:18am On Jan 22, 2022
blasted12:
Yes well said but that's not the point of the thread. Some people like gidgiddy and co argued that Nnamdi Kanu cannot be changed and convinced for making inciting statements and verbal threats against the state. The aim of this thread is to prove them wrong
Well, what's good for the goose should be good for the gander. I remember what Buhari himself said about Boko haram terrorist and about baboon and dog being soaked in blood in the wake of the 2011 election. Are those not inciting statements/clamours as well?
Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by blasted12: 9:31am On Jan 22, 2022
matrix199:
Well, what's good for the goose should be good for the gander. I remember what Buhari himself said about Boko haram terrorist and about baboon and dog being soaked in blood in the wake of the 2011 election. Are those not inciting statements/clamours as well?
Yes it's possible but Buhari is not on tria, nnamdi kanu is
Re: Abubaker Deghayes Guilty Of Encouraging 'jihad By Sword' by OneTwoOne(m): 9:36am On Jan 22, 2022
Shekau is a Terrorist.

1. Shekau(and his people) killed, abducted, maimed, beheaded, raped women, stole from people.
Nnamdi Kanu (and his Ipob, ESN, UGM) did thesame.

2. Shekau called for his own Shariah govern country/State.
Nnamdi Kanu calls for biafra.

3. Shekau(and his people) killed numerous people and disposed their bodies.
Nnamdi Kanu (and his Ipob ESN UGM) killed violators of their rules and CANNIBALIZES ON THEIR FLESH.

YET SHEKAU IS A TERRORIST AND NNAMDI KANU IS NOT? angry
Coolsperm:

(1) (Reply)

IPOB: Pdp's Bokoharam / Tinubu Is Too Frail, Old And Weak To Govern / 2023: Nigerian People Must Play This Game Smartly.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.