Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,763 members, 7,955,914 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:32 PM

Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) (68195 Views)

I Saw This Plant Growing On It's Own In My Yard / Farmers Help! Why Is My Yam Growing This Way? / Recommend Dog Friendly Weed Killer For Grass Growing On Interlocking Tiles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by bpalace(m): 5:33pm On Jan 22, 2022
wunmi590:

This is normal occurrence in yam and even onion, that is what we call photosynthesis....

this is no photosynthesis... Where the chlorophyll?... This is phototaxis... Work of photosynthesis is been done by the tuber itself
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jan 22, 2022
hysteresis:
People are looking for food to eat.
This one is experimenting on something he would have given to someone in need....
U would rather let a yam grow on thhe kitchen floor than give it out...
Stingy OP.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by EyenNtokon: 5:34pm On Jan 22, 2022
Chai! See news.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 22, 2022
wunmi590:

This is normal occurrence in yam and even onion, that is what we call photosynthesis....

No, not photosynthesis, but phototropism!
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Perfecttouchade: 5:36pm On Jan 22, 2022
mamaafrik:
it's using the carbohydrates in the yam sett to grow before the sett rot away,if it's not planted in the soil in order for it to get direct nutrients from the soil it will die off after a while.
that's true and that's why it grow any leaves
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 22, 2022
hysteresis:
This one is experimenting on something he would have given to someone in need....
Stingy OP.

You are a stupid and dimwit African. See how your thinking is shallow. Your thinking is one of the reasons why our continent is backward. Someone is making an experiment and you are telling him rubbish with your entitlement mentality. Can you imagine spewing gibberish over a tuber of yam. So after giving out the yam, the fellow who takes it will not eat anymore right, shoot! Don't go out there and make your money, awon set Organizer of People's Life, ode shocked shocked shocked
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 22, 2022
PlayYourPart:

As I be Architect, my biology no reach that level but I know we have botanist in house who can educate us about what is happening.

This is not about Biology, How did you manage to become an Architect (i.e complete a University degree) without knowing such basic stuff like this? Thats like saying a lawyer didnt know cars use petrol because he didnt study physics.

Quite scary the calibre of graduates we are producing!!
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Echo50(m): 5:39pm On Jan 22, 2022
I love NL because when it comes to food, you will get every kind of advice while the owner still stick to his or her decision
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Eteka1(m): 5:41pm On Jan 22, 2022
Its getting nutrition from the dead tuber. It will die when the tuber runs out of nutrition. It's better you put it into the soil outside to continue growing.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by ignis: 5:42pm On Jan 22, 2022
brosom:
Very good and courageous lesson.

No matter how hard things are irrespective of the situation try to survive, that's what it means.

Werey Motivational speaker don drop quote.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by brandsoncharlie: 5:45pm On Jan 22, 2022
Thiwalade:
wink Plants do not necessarily need soil to germinate except for anchorage. This practice of growing plants in solution consisting of only essential nutrients is known as Hydroponics. The yam is able to derive moisture, essential nutrients from the yam tuber itself. The outgrowth typically has some green parts containing chlorophyll through which the plant can photosynthesize. After few weeks, leaf formation could set in. Be cautious, the yam will eventually dry out if the yam is unable to use it's root to obtain nutrients.

It will reproduce a new yam only that the size will be small.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Owopariola01: 5:49pm On Jan 22, 2022
brosom:
Very good and courageous lesson.

No matter how hard things are irrespective of the situation try to survive, that's what it means.

It is simply "The rose that grew from the concrete."
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by derecho(m): 5:56pm On Jan 22, 2022
I fear who no fear you o...
wunmi590:

1 Like

Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Lionnation: 5:57pm On Jan 22, 2022
What are you surprise about, this is normal na. Norhing extraordinary here
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by LordErrk: 5:57pm On Jan 22, 2022
OLODO grin
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by gawu1: 5:58pm On Jan 22, 2022
PlayYourPart:
I got two tubers of yam sometimes last year, we cooked the first one, but while eating it, we discovered it was not sweet at all.

Since we can't just throw money away like that, we left the second yam there.

Lo and behold, after some time, the second yam started growing right there inside a tiled kitchen, even without been rooted in the subsoil.
It continues to grow rapidly but without leaf.
I took the picture of it as seen below in December 2021.
(Note: it has grown beyond this level now)
I want to see how far it can grow on the tiled surface in the kitchen.

As I be Architect, my biology no reach that level but I know we have botanist in house who can educate us about what is happening.

Kindly push to front page, let learn from professionals
And so what is astonishing about it.
It's like you don't know yam?
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by brosom(m): 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2022
ignis:

Werey Motivational speaker don drop quote.
I feel u look like Omicron grin
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by bmdmix11: 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2022
chatinent:
So you mean una no dey cook for that kitchen or nobody saw when the mouth sprouted?

Or you mean ayam stewpeed?

show us ur kitchen
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by na2016: 6:02pm On Jan 22, 2022
There is nothing incredible here na. This is normal.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Karlosorji(m): 6:03pm On Jan 22, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

Hmmm. Are you kidding me? Please don't let social media play destroy your ability to write correct sentences in English o. Please.
Here's free book on business ideas & money sources directory for you,it's 100% free! https://www.nairaland.com/6666800/looking-business-ideas-money-fund. Cheers.
who sentence help. Understand it and pass. Prof
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jan 22, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

It will reproduce a new yam only that the size will be small.
I seriously doubt that. Typically, yam takes between 3 to 6 months before a new yam can grow from it. I doubt the tuber has sufficient nutrient to sustain the plant for another 3 months.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by MummyGreat: 6:05pm On Jan 22, 2022
PlayYourPart:
I got two tubers of yam sometimes last year, we cooked the first one, but while eating it, we discovered it was not sweet at all.

Since we can't just throw money away like that, we left the second yam there.

Lo and behold, after some time, the second yam started growing right there inside a tiled kitchen, even without been rooted in the subsoil.
It continues to grow rapidly but without leaf.
I took the picture of it as seen below in December 2021.
(Note: it has grown beyond this level now)
I want to see how far it can grow on the tiled surface in the kitchen.

Kindly push to front page, let learn from professionals
have you tested Benue sugar yam if not pls visit mummy Great yam barn where we sell and supply Benue sugar yam 07068444039 is the code
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by chatinent: 6:05pm On Jan 22, 2022
bmdmix11:

show us ur kitchen

No.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by bmdmix11: 6:09pm On Jan 22, 2022
chatinent:

No.

then leave person own alone
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Volksguys1985: 6:09pm On Jan 22, 2022
In mechanical yam, we call it yammachni.
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Echara: 6:11pm On Jan 22, 2022
hysteresis:
Stingy OP.

You keep seeing poverty. The sprout is normal. Did you see any heap of yams there?
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by VIKTO83(m): 6:14pm On Jan 22, 2022
Dis u bring this news as something funny or u brought it as one of those 'it's devilish and act of witches' crew?
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by chatinent: 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2022
bmdmix11:

then leave person own alone
No.

Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Bamzyriches451: 6:18pm On Jan 22, 2022
It's the coldness of the tiles
Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 22, 2022
hysteresis:
Stingy OP.

The Yam too is looking for food to eat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) by 1Sharon(f): 6:22pm On Jan 22, 2022
Hmm why not plant it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Puff Adder My Workers Killed On My Yam Farm (Pictures) / Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation / 179KG Yam Harvested In Akokwa, Imo State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.