Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

What Is Faith - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Faith (1722 Views)

What Is Faith ? : A Dialogue Between Man And God / How Is Faith Chosen????? / What Is Faith Really? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 9:31am On Jan 28, 2022
AntiChristian:

So the definition of faith according to Jesus is "the believe that someone can heal another"?

Jesus healed all those people but he didn't teach them any commandment, righteousness or tell them to accept him as Lord and Saviour!

You need to improve on your cognitive and comprehensive skills.

I didnt know that anyone could misinterprete what I explained no matter how primate and undeveloped their brain is.

From by explanation, faith is believing Jesus can save you and following through with your actions.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Faith by NNTR: 10:43am On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
That's not a reasonable argument.
I dont do argument(s)
Argument is your stock-of-trade, pity I dont have any to exchange you with, loll.

Myer:
If everything is a miracle then inference nothing is a miracle
I can bet my bottom dollar, that you clearly read that what I typed was 'Everything is almost a miracle' so why need to twist my comment, only you know.

Myer:
He cannot dissolve in his bath because he is insoluble.
Simple reason why knowledge of basic science is important in life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyNyHark4xk

Psalm 139:14
I will give thanks and praise to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well
i.e. Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well..

Him being insoluble, in itself is a miracle. Him, you, us, they, we all are a walking miracle, loll.

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: What Is Faith by Image123(m): 12:52pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11.1

Following God, Christ, Christianity is based on faith.
However, what does the verse above mean?

This is important for any believer because Luke 18:8 asks if on the last day, Christ will find faith on earth.

What then is this faith?
I hope we can explain the 3 different Faiths elaborated below;

1. Is Faith waiting on God for his divine direction before making any decision?

2. Is Faith praying for your heart desire and trusting on God to make his word good?

3. Is Faith believing in Jesus Christ and nothing else matters?

Faith is the extent to which you trust God.

1 Like

Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 1:08pm On Jan 28, 2022
NNTR:
I dont do argument(s)
Argument is your stock-of-trade, pity I dont have any to exchange you with, loll.

I can bet my bottom dollar, that you clearly read that what I typed was 'Everything is almost a miracle' so why need to twist my comment, only you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyNyHark4xk

Psalm 139:14
I will give thanks and praise to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well
i.e. Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well..

Him being insoluble, in itself is a miracle. Him, you, us, they, we all are a walking miracle, loll.

Argument doesn't always mean something negative.
Maybe cos I studied science, argument simply means an opinion or point of reasoning.
Re: What Is Faith by NNTR: 5:37pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
Argument doesn't always mean something negative.
You're mining a strawman

Myer:
Maybe cos I studied science,
Studying science isnt an exclusive rights

Myer:
argument simply means an opinion or point of reasoning.
2 Corinthians 10:5
We destroy arguments
and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God,
and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

Exactly my point that, which is that, arguing, is your stock of trade and that your opinion(s) in the face of fact(s) is meaningless.

Watch this, too many people are oblivious to the difference between a fact and an opinion, loll.

I'll tell you for free, what argument means, loll. It means, exchanges of ignorances. Exchanging one ignorance for another, loll.

Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 6:47pm On Jan 28, 2022
NNTR:
You're mining a strawman

Studying science isnt an exclusive rights

2 Corinthians 10:5
We destroy arguments
and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God,
and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

Exactly my point that, which is that, arguing, is your stock of trade and that your opinion(s) in the face of fact(s) is meaningless.

Watch this, too many people are oblivious to the difference between a fact and an opinion, loll.

I'll tell you for free, what argument means, loll. It means, exchanges of ignorances. Exchanging one ignorance for another, loll.

I've been in your shoes so I understand your predicament and limitations.
Only the bible is right and every other idea is wrong right?
You'll be fine.
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
We can't ascertain that since that is not contained in the bible.
Cos if that was simply the case Jesus would probably not have marvelled so.
Let’s try this from another angle since you don't seem to see what I see the other way. undecided

Why is God called Faith-ful? What does it mean to say God is Faithful God? What does His Faithfulness refer to? undecided

Surely we know that the word can't have a different meaning when applied to God, right? undecided
Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 7:03pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Let’s try this from another angle since you don't seem to see what I see the other way. undecided

Why is God called Faith-ful? What does it mean to say God is Faithful God? What does His Faithfulness refer to? undecided

Surely we know that the word can't have a different meaning when applied to God, right? undecided

Faithful and Faith can have different meanings.

Having Faith could mean that you "trust" in God/Jesus ability to save you.
Being Faithful doesn't necessary mean you have faith. It could simply mean you're trust-worthy. That you can be trusted.

Hence when we say God is faithful it simply means he is trust-worthy to do what he promises to do.

When we say a person has faith, by inference it should mean such person has trust in God's to accomplish anything.

Hopefully this attached dictionary definitions should help disambiguate the two.

Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
Ok, now that we have established that you know what the dictionary says as far as meaning of the word, can we get to you answering the question I asked? undecided

Again, Why is God referred to in scripture as Faith-ful? What does it mean to say God is Faithful God? What does His Faithfulness refer to? undecided

Surely we know that the word can't have a different scriptural meaning when applied to God, right? undecided

What does it mean for one to be a Faith-ful servant of his master? What are some of the characters of a one who is a faithful servant? undecided
Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 7:08pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Ok, now that we have established that you know what the dictionary says as far as meaning of the word, can we get to you answering the question I asked? undecided

Again, Why is God referred to in scripture as Faith-ful? What does it mean to say God is Faithful God? What does His Faithfulness refer to? undecided

Surely we know that the word can't have a different scriptural meaning when applied to God, right? undecided

What does it mean for one to be a Faith-ful servant of his master? undecided

See my last reply, I was editing.
Re: What Is Faith by NNTR: 7:13pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
I've been in your shoes so I understand your predicament and limitations.
Only the bible is right and every other idea is wrong right?.
What a defeatist and lame comment you make.
Where did you learn from, that only the bible is right and every other idea is wrong, hmm?

Myer:
You'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-tdCCcfziI

For your info, I am the finest.
I dont need, your future tense, be fine.
I don't need be Freaked out, Insecure, Nervous & Emotional, as you are, loll

Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
Faithful and Faith can have different meanings.

Having Faith could mean that you "trust" in God/Jesus ability to save you.
Being Faithful doesn't necessary mean you have faith. It could simply mean you're trust-worthy. That you can be trusted.

Hence when we say God is faithful it simply means he is trust-worthy to do what he promises to do.

When we say a person has faith, by inference it should mean such person has trust in God's to accomplish anything.

Hopefully this attached dictionary definitions should help disambiguate the two.
I see where the problem lies..... undecided

1. I see that you use the word "Trust" in relation to both the words Faithful(adjective) and the word Faith(noun) yet you somehow conclude they have different meanings - unrelated to the figure of speech ofcourse- , how come? undecided

2. When we say God has Faith, what does it mean? undecided

3. And when we say a person is Faithful, what does that mean? undecided
Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 7:25pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:

1. I see that you use the word "Trust" in relation to both the words Faithful(adjective) and the word Faith(noun) yet you somehow conclude they have different meanings - unrelated to the figure of speech ofcourse- , how come? undecided

Who says God has Faith? Lol
We say man has faith.

If God has faith, then it means he trust his ability to accomplish anything.
If a man has faith, it means he trust God's ability to accomplish anything.
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 7:54pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
1. Who says God has Faith? Lol
We say man has faith.

2. If God has faith, then it means he trust his ability to accomplish anything.
3. If a man has faith, it means he trust God's ability to accomplish anything.
1. God doesn't have Faith(noun) but He is Faithful(adjective)? How come? undecided

2. Huh? So now you assume God can indeed have faith?. undecided

3. I see that you use the word "Trust" in relation to both the words Faithful(adjective) and the word Faith(noun) yet you somehow conclude they have different meanings - unrelated to the figure of speech ofcourse- , how come? undecided

4. And when we say a person is faithful, what does that mean? undecided
Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 8:01pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:

I believe I answered these already.
You should share your own meaning.
Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 8:04pm On Jan 28, 2022
NNTR:
What a defeatist and lame comment you make.
Where did you learn from, that only the bible is right and every other idea is wrong, hmm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-tdCCcfziI

For your info, I am the finest.
I dont need, your future tense, be fine.
I done need be Freaked out, Insecure, Nervous & Emotional, as you are, loll

Ok, I gerrit already, you're the finest. cool
Can I continue with other discussions now that we agree on one thing.
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 8:07pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
I believe I answered these already.
You should share your own meaning.
You did not answer my questions at all. undecided
1. I see that you use the word "Trust" in relation to both the words Faithful(adjective) and the word Faith(noun) yet you somehow conclude they have different meanings - unrelated to the figure of speech ofcourse- , how come?

2. Does God have faith or not? undecided

If no, what you imply is God doesn't have Faith(noun) but He is Faithful(adjective)? How come? undecided
If yes, you claim it means he trust his ability to accomplish anything. undecided

So is it a yes or a no? undecided

3. And when we say a person is faithful -not when a person has faith - what does that mean? undecided
Re: What Is Faith by NNTR: 9:44pm On Jan 28, 2022
Myer:
Ok, I gerrit already, you're the finest. cool
I trust you would gerrit, loll.

Myer:
Can I continue with other discussions now that we agree on one thing.
Be my guest, as I am fine with you continuing, only, be yourself, just so you remain fine, loll

1 Like

Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 9:47pm On Jan 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You did not answer my questions at all. undecided
1. I see that you use the word "Trust" in relation to both the words Faithful(adjective) and the word Faith(noun) yet you somehow conclude they have different meanings - unrelated to the figure of speech ofcourse- , how come?

2. Does God have faith or not? undecided

If no, what you imply is God doesn't have Faith(noun) but He is Faithful(adjective)? How come? undecided
If yes, you claim it means he trust his ability to accomplish anything. undecided

So is it a yes or a no? undecided

3. And when we say a person is faithful -not when a person has faith - what does that mean? undecided

1. Faithful by definition is different from Faith.
Faithful means you're trust worthy. You can be trusted.
Faith means you trust in someone/yourself or God's ability.

2. Strange line of thought but God certain has Faith in himself and his ability to accomplish anything he promises.

3. Like I said in (1) it means the person can be trusted.

I am interested in your own meaning though. Cos it seems you have a different opinion on this.
Re: What Is Faith by AntiChristian: 1:12pm On Jan 29, 2022
Myer:

You need to improve on your cognitive and comprehensive skills.

I didnt know that anyone could misinterprete what I explained no matter how primate and undeveloped their brain is.

From by explanation, faith is believing Jesus can save you and following through with your actions.

Oh! My good! Jesus healed people from sickness , etc. Who did he save in the Bible? More importantly, who believed Jesus has the ability of saving (not healing) him or others?
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On Feb 03, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:
Once again, you can not prove what you present, for no where is it seen that God gave a command to the centurion meanwhile he was already exercising faith before his prayers were answered.
Luke 7 vs 1 - 13 - The centurion wasn't an unbeliever as far as God of Israel was concerned and so God was not far from him as you would assume. God not only gives commands to prophets. .. He also gives his commands to individuals out there like Abraham, and even the centurion. undecided

It is by trusting and obeying these commandments from God that one accrues faith currencies or points. undecided
Re: What Is Faith by waldigit: 11:50pm On Feb 03, 2022
Myer:
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11.1

This is important for any believer because Luke 18:8 asks if on the last day, Christ will find faith on earth.

What then is this faith?

2. Is Faith praying for your heart desire and trusting on God to make his word good?

Ability to perceive what your physical senses can't
Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 7:26am On Feb 10, 2022
waldigit:

Ability to perceive what your physical senses can't

I resonate with this. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 7:28am On Feb 10, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Luke 7 vs 1 - 13 - The centurion wasn't an unbeliever as far as God of Israel was concerned and so God was not far from him as you would assume. God not only gives commands to prophets. .. He also gives his commands to individuals out there like Abraham, and even the centurion. undecided

It is by trusting and obeying these commandments from God that one accrues faith currencies or points. undecided

While I get your angle, my only issue here is that by your explanation here, you really can't fault anyone who doesnt have faith since it's God who determines it.
If God doesn't command you in the first place then you cant have faith. Is that not your point?

Meaning faith is predicated on God first giving a command.
Then whether or not you obey the command determines if you have faith or not for both unbelievers and believers alike.
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 12:31pm On Feb 10, 2022
Myer:
While I get your angle, my only issue here is that by your explanation here, you really can't fault anyone who doesnt have faith since it's God who determines it.
If God doesn't command you in the first place then you cant have faith. Is that not your point?

Meaning faith is predicated on God first giving a command.
Then whether or not you obey the command determines if you have faith or not for both unbelievers and believers alike.
Your choices determine your faith.... every man already has that ability to obey or disobey. if you choose to obey His teachings and His commandments to you in Jesus Christ, it means you are of the Father and He commands all those who belong to Him. If you choose otherwise, it means you are not of God and hence nor worthy of Him. The choices you make is the decider here, not God. undecided

Only those who believe can lay claim to the kind of faith we are considering here. Unbelievers are the dead and have nothing to do with this. None of those to whom Jesus Christ spoke to of faith were unbelievers. undecided
Re: What Is Faith by Myer(m): 7:10am On Feb 14, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Your choices determine your faith.... every man already has that ability to obey or disobey. if you choose to obey His teachings and His commandments to you in Jesus Christ, it means you are of the Father and He commands all those who belong to Him. If you choose otherwise, it means you are not of God and hence nor worthy of Him. The choices you make is the decider here, not God. undecided

Only those who believe can lay claim to the kind of faith we are considering here. Unbelievers are the dead and have nothing to do with this. None of those to whom Jesus Christ spoke to of faith were unbelievers. undecided

You're contradicting scriptures.
All the instances faith was mentioned in the bible had nothing to do with obedience.

Abraham (father of faith) believed God and it was imputed on him as righteousness.

The centurion believed Jesus could heal his servant without having to follow him to his house,cos he thought himself unworthy, and Jesus credited him with a great faith.
The woman with the issue of blood believed Jesus could heal her and Jesus acknowledged that her faith made her whole.
Even the cannanite woman believed Jesus could heal her daughter and even though Jesus said what we will today call some offensive words to her,she never faltered, she remained resolute that he could and must heal her daughter. Jesus had to respond by acknowledging her faith.

On the contrary, Jesus challenged his disciples constantly for their lack of faith.
When he asked them to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Herof, they taught he was talking about food when he was speaking of doctrines.
He angrily called them a generation of no faith cos they forgot how he had fed thousands and other miracles he had done but were focused on actual leaven (food).

When he cautioned Peter's lack of faith for sinking in the water, it was not for lack of obedience because Peter obeyed him,but he suddenly became fearful and did not believe anymore.
When his disciples could not heal a boy, Jesus attacked their faith. They obviously already obeyed by attempting to heal the kid.

So faith is not obedience to God's word.
Obedience to God's word is Wisdom.

Faith on the other hand is believing and trusting in God's ability to save you.
(Ciitations, scriptural references can be given upon request but I didnt cos I assume you are a bible scholar).
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 11:18pm On Mar 15, 2023
Myer:

What then is this faith?

First, contrary to what many may like to believe, Hebrews 11 vs 1 does not contain a definition of the word faith . Rather what the writer does in the context is attempts a figurative comparison of faith with the evidence/substance, the promises of God, that come as a result of ir. Faith itself is not defined in the context of that passage. For this reason, the word faith, in the context, is used in reference to efforts made by such a person as Abraham while pointing out the evidence/benefits that resulted from such effort. undecided

God Himself explained what the word faith means in Genesis 26 vs 5 when He pointed out that the reason why He made a promise to Abraham had to do with the fact that Abraham lived his life in submission and obedience of His, God's, teachings and commandments - Faith. God gave that as the one and the only reason why He made Abraham His friend. This offer we observe Jesus Christ makes with all those of His followers who will do as He says - John 15 vs 9 -14 — those who will submit to and obey His teachings and commandments in the Kingdom of God. So, there you have it. Faith refers to living one's life in continuous submission and obedience to God's commandments and teachings, and in our case, in Jesus Christ. This definition is observed as being used in the Old Testament as well as in the New Covenant by Jesus Christ Himself. undecided
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 4:17am On Mar 16, 2023
Myer:
Good question.
Jesus did not define faith. But identified and acknowledged it in different people, mostly before he healed them.

By observing these people, they all shared a common denominator- they trusted in Jesus' ability to save them and they followed through by their actions.
Jesus Christ did define for us what faith is and He even went on to declare that it is only those who have faith that belongs to Him. Only in our blindness, we do not see this. undecided
Re: What Is Faith by Kobojunkie: 4:25am On Mar 16, 2023
Myer:
■ You're contradicting scriptures. All the instances faith was mentioned in the bible had nothing to do with obedience. Abraham (father of faith) believed God and it was imputed on him as righteousness. The centurion believed Jesus could heal his servant without having to follow him to his house,cos he thought himself unworthy, and Jesus credited him with a great faith. The woman with the issue of blood believed Jesus could heal her and Jesus acknowledged that her faith made her whole. Even the cannanite woma[/b]n believed Jesus could heal her daughter and even though Jesus said what we will today call some offensive words to her,she never faltered, she remained resolute that he could and must heal her daughter. Jesus had to respond by acknowledging her faith.

■ On the contrary, Jesus challenged his disciples constantly for their lack of faith. When he asked them to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Herof, they taught he was talking about food when he was speaking of doctrines. He angrily called them a generation of no faith cos they forgot how he had fed thousands and other miracles he had done but were focused on actual leaven (food). When he cautioned [b]Peter's lack of faith for sinking in the water, it was not for lack of obedience because Peter obeyed him,but he suddenly became fearful and did not believe anymore. When his disciples could not heal a boy, Jesus attacked their faith. They obviously already obeyed by attempting to heal the kid.

■ So faith is not obedience to God's word. Obedience to God's word is Wisdom. Faith on the other hand is believing and trusting in God's ability to save you (Ciitations, scriptural references can be given upon request but I didnt cos I assume you are a bible scholar).
1. I am afraid you are mistaken! Every single one them has to do with obedience, you only choose not to see it is what. Every single one of those you mentioned lived right there in the land of Canaan and hence had the opportunity to live their lives in submission and obedience to God's Old Law of Moses. undecided

2. I am afraid you are wrong there. The reason Peter lacked faith had to do with Peter not having earned enough faith to see him through in what he needed it for. Jesus Christ told a parable to this end actually. undecided

3. Faith is in fact a reference to a live lived in continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: What Is Faith by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:17am On Mar 16, 2023
Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen. Hebrews 11:1

The analysis of this definition:
@ ASSURED EXPECTATIONS
@ WHAT IS HOPED FOR
@ EVIDENT DEMONSTRATION
@ REALITIES THAT ARE NOT SEEN

© We can't see God physically so to prove we have faith in the person we can't see we must keep in expectation of what this person has said as written in the scriptures! Habakkuk 2:3

© Our hope must bring us delight always just as a hungry person is delightfully waiting and savouring the smell of the food a chef is cooking for him.

© Through the way you are getting prepared as you sit down with your spoon, fork and other cutleries with full anticipation.

© Anyone seeing you can be convinced that you have something to eat even though they can't see the food yet.

For by means of it, the men of ancient times had witness borne to them! Hebrews 11:2

This is exactly how faithful men in ancient times proved their faith not that they're seeing God physically. So if you're claiming you too have faith like them then know that they are WITNESSES {Hebrews 12:1} that the God you want to worship is alive therefore you must exercise the same patience like them! smiley
Re: What Is Faith by MightySparrow: 7:37am On Mar 16, 2023
NNTR:

Hebrews 11:1, 6
'1Now faith is the assurance (title deed, confirmation) of things hoped for (divinely guaranteed),
and the evidence of things not seen [the conviction of their reality
—faith comprehends as fact what cannot be experienced by the physical senses].
6But without faith it is impossible to [walk with God and] please Him,
for whoever comes [near] to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists
and that He rewards those who [earnestly and diligently] seek Him
'

2 Corinthians 5:7
'for we walk by faith, not by sight
[living our lives in a manner consistent with our confident belief in God’s promises]
'

Faith, is akin to the first step, at the bottom of a stairs, you take, even when you don't see the whole set of stairs

None of us knows, what might happen, even in the next one minute, yet still, we move, we go forward. Why? It is because we trust. It is because we have faith, loll.

You get it brother. Faith in Christianity is an action word not arguments. For instance, God told Abraham that his wife that was passed age of having a baby to have a child. They both took a step off faith and that's it. The baby came!
That is one aspect of faith! I like that!
Re: What Is Faith by MightySparrow: 7:46am On Mar 16, 2023
AntiChristian:
I think I now understand why Christianity is mainly being preached with miracles. All your descriptions of faith is attached to miracle! And it doesn't even include the believe in the Almighty God.

Yọu are here again my friend.

Christianity is about miracle from creation to the resurrection of saints. In between cannot be less.

Can you now see why no christians think the way you think; reason the way you reason.

You are not part of us.

That's the reason you bring confusion to our thread s.

Do you want to become a Christian?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Everything In The Bible Is Not Different From Science And Maths. See Why!! / Why Are Nigerian Pastors Becoming Too Fetish.(read Story) / Why I Don't Belong To Any Denomination (new Age Churches)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.