Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,335 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit (43195 Views)

Who Should Be The New Super Eagles Coach After Poseiro? / The Crowd That Came Out To Welcome Guinea After AFCON Outing / Super Eagles Team Sneaks Into Nigeria In Midnight Flight After AFCON Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by onatisi(m): 6:22am On Jan 24, 2022
actually i believe it is a good thing , because now there will be a lot of pressure on the incoming foreign coach to perform , he has seen what our local coaches can do
and secondly , the brief stint egueavon had with the super eagles has shown and proven that with the abundance of talents that we have in our national team , we also have good local brains and coaches that can manage them and we dont need to be hiring foreign coaches all the tie , i am sure a local coach will be groomed to take over once the contract of the new incoming technical adviser expire

Nemere2020:
Bad for the Super Eagles......Pretty Bad.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by ufotunang: 6:23am On Jan 24, 2022
NFF would not had sacked Genorh rohr...the man was trying for the team...he understands the team...but Augustine euguavonn that has not coached a team since 2017 where he coached sunshine stars 5 years ago and you appoint a coach that has not coach a team for the past 5 years and you expect him to perform magic by winning the nation cup....gernorh rohr has been long with the team and understands the team and he would had won the nation cup for Nigeria....NFF was not patient, they want things to happen by magic... achieveing something in life is not by getting it by magic

1 Like

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by nedekid: 6:25am On Jan 24, 2022
tesppidd:
grin grin

We have won 1 AFCON in the last 30 years.

All the other coaches picked Buhari's call?
Have we won 3 streight matches in AFCON in 30 years? (I don't know).
grin

1 Like

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Rottymy: 6:33am On Jan 24, 2022
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by OgunkeelAllMod: 6:33am On Jan 24, 2022
Eguavoen for no just pick badhari call undecided see am now!!
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by AmadorSays: 6:34am On Jan 24, 2022
Why so soon, it's just one loss now? Well I hope we get a better coach abeg. Meanwhile there's still a lot of highlights to catch up with this TikTok sponsored AFCON.

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by begge: 6:35am On Jan 24, 2022
When you see buhari you see 666
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by galaxy2020(m): 6:36am On Jan 24, 2022
That's the right thing to do
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 6:37am On Jan 24, 2022
[s]
TrackerXL:
Na so igbo push this man till he enter gutter but who cares to hell with you n the hate your tribe as been promoting n projections at others.
[/s]

1 Share

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Sneaktee: 6:40am On Jan 24, 2022
Olodo
festacman:
Augustine Eguavon is not particularly a successful coach going by accomplishments. But his bold performance at AFCON once again made a strong case for highly qualified indigenous coaches like Emmanuel Amunike, George Finidi, etc.

He was unlucky not to have Victor Osihmen, Dennis Emmanuel, Etebor, etc in the squad for selection. However, it must be said that rather than coach Eguavoen's tactics, it was team spirit and of course individual player form that took us far during group stage. When tactics were badly needed at KO stage, coach of Tunisian team showed superiority.

Nevertheless, in order not to distract the players, Augustine Eguavoen should oversee our WC qualifiers against Ghana.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by josephevergreen(m): 6:40am On Jan 24, 2022
But why did buhari call them ? As in for why?!

Pls next time they shouldnt pick such irrelavent call abeg..those guys feel pressured.

Up supper eagle..una try jor e no easy.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by blackaxe78: 6:42am On Jan 24, 2022
Brokeloser:
I reject every spirit of buhari.Any thing he associates with he destroys.Dude destroyed the economy.God punish any BMC when go quote me.

You have never said something brilliant in a long while.

Even on a Monday morning, after taking so much rest over the weekend, you still find it difficult to be sane.

Or is that, you haven’t had breakfast.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by TinubuGoQuench(f): 6:43am On Jan 24, 2022
Brokeloser:
I reject every spirit of buhari.Any thing he associates with he destroys.Dude destroyed the economy.God punish any BMC when go quote me.

Cc:
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by OgunkeelAllMod: 6:44am On Jan 24, 2022
ufotunang:
NFF would not had sacked Genorh rohr...the man was trying for the team...he understands the team...but Augustine euguavonn that has not coached a team since 2017 where he coached sunshine stars 5 years ago and you appoint a coach that has not coach a team for the past 5 years and you expect him to perform magic by winning the nation cup....gernorh rohr has been long with the team and understands the team and he would had won the nation cup for Nigeria....NFF was not patient, they want things to happen by magic... achieveing something in life is not by getting it by magic
dis one just dey fart anyhow from mouth!!which Rohr Abi na Rot u mean undecided someone they ought to have sacked long time ago.. Understand, understand, na understand dem use win match?? Otondo. Awon eyan Gerrot Ror undecided

1 Like

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by blackaxe78: 6:45am On Jan 24, 2022
begge:
When you see buhari you see 666

Buhari was right when he said you lots are not brilliant.

Blaming the performance of the stiff old men you paraded on Buhari

What’s the comparison? Does the president of a nation win tournaments?

Oh! All UK prime ministers In last two decades are failures cos they never won Euro or World Cup

How you people reason baffles me. You feed on too much carbohydrates and it inhibits your reasonings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by TinubuGoQuench(f): 6:46am On Jan 24, 2022
post=109640483:
Thanks for coming Augustine.

You gave your best, it wasn't just enough.

Nobody to blame, that is just football.
No need apportioning blames to any player right now.

We were all in Eldorado watching the first 3 games, (Who wouldn't?!)
but reality came to check all of us at the end.

We hope to be at the top of our game like in the Golden days of the Glorious Super Eagles of 1994.

God bless Nigeria.

Addendum : We wrote the below 3 hours before the game started last night,
We pray it doesn't happen,
But Alas!
Wishes are not horses that beggars could ride!

We Rise.

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Southernigbo: 6:48am On Jan 24, 2022
we are talking of making him permanent and he is stepping down!
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by OgunkeelAllMod: 6:52am On Jan 24, 2022
blackaxe78:

Buhari was right when he said you lots are not brilliant.

Blaming the performance of the stiff and old men you paraded on Buhari

What’s the comparison? Does the president of a nation win tournaments?

Oh! All UK prime ministers In last two decades are failures cos they never won Euro or World Cup

How you people reason baffles me. You feed on too much carbohydrates and it inhibits your reasonings.
buhari neck muscle is more stiffer, stronger and sinuwey than those 'old'men you talking about undecided..and yep, yousuf buhari ,with all his Papa borrowed China loan is a stark, raw cow milk sipping illiterate undecided
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by DEGABA(m): 6:56am On Jan 24, 2022
He needs to, totally inexperience.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Philistine(m): 6:59am On Jan 24, 2022
onatisi:
actually i believe it is a good thing , because now there will be a lot of pressure on the incoming foreign coach to perform , he has seen what our local coaches can do
and secondly , the brief stint egueavon had with the super eagles has shown and proven that with the abundance of talents that we have in our national team , we also have good local brains and coaches that can manage them and we dont need to be hiring foreign coaches all the tie , i am sure a local coach will be groomed to take over once the contract of the new incoming technical adviser expire

Which abundance of talents do you have in the National team? You better wake up from slumber.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by EmmanuelScott1(m): 7:02am On Jan 24, 2022
[s]
TrackerXL:
Na so igbo push this man till he enter gutter but who cares to hell with you n the hate your tribe as been promoting n projections at others.
[/s]

Are you okay at all?
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by JOemmy(m): 7:03am On Jan 24, 2022
He did the right thing the job is a very dangerous one especially if u are a nigerian fans will just skin him alive if he also fails to qualify the team for the world cup.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Nicepoker(m): 7:08am On Jan 24, 2022
[s]
post=109640483:
Thanks for coming Augustine.

You gave your best, it wasn't just enough.

Nobody to blame, that is just football.
No need apportioning blames to any player right now.

We were all in Eldorado watching the first 3 games, (Who wouldn't?!)
but reality came to check all of us at the end.

We hope to be at the top of our game like in the Golden days of the Glorious Super Eagles of 1994.

God bless Nigeria.

Addendum : We wrote the below 3 hours before the game started last night,
We pray it doesn't happen,
But Alas!
Wishes are not horses that beggars could ride!

We Rise.
[/s]
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by akin9ja78(m): 7:10am On Jan 24, 2022
Uk train 9ja wella aje.. we be big hype make no person blame bubu oh, you really cant hide forever
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by optimusprime2(m): 7:11am On Jan 24, 2022
27Pushing30:

Please stop giving excuses ... it’s good he has left

How awoniyi who played poorly against GB - forget that freak lucky goal - started this match is laughable .

His midfield could not even outplay the defensive Tunisians - who I don’t blame because most of their main starters and their coach was down with COVID

So I don’t know Nigeria’s excuse for not beating them .

He should have Sub’d awoniyi for Peter olayinka at half time so we could have an extra man in mid field for dummy runs which would encourage Chukwueze and Simon cut inside and shoot

I told people since the group stages

How can you have right footed player on the left and left footer on the Right and they are unable to play like inverted wingers... you know why? Because the useless 4-4-2 is outdated and even robben cannot play well when he’s surrounded by 2 players even before the ball gets to him.

To be honest, I think Eguaveon performed well and I will not blame him for the lack of luck in that game. As you could clearly see how Alex Iwobi was red carded very harshly- even the goal Tunisia scored was very interesting given the fact Okoye had a firm hand on it (the ball was swerving all over the place)- tough luck I tell you.
Now as per your observations.

1- Wingers
this SE squad has very dynamic wingers in the sense that all of them, can play on the left and right I.e Moses Simon, Chukwueze, Ejuke etc so switching their positions is really a thing of the players choice... ideally, a right footed player would prefer playing on the left and a left footed player would prefer the right so they could shoot easily, when they cut in... except you are a certain Ousmane Dembele who it doesn't matter to due to his strange ability of both his feet being the same.

2- The perfect number 9
Now as per the striker's, although I have been singing it like a song, that apart from Ighalo, this SE squad lacks a true traditional number 9, even Osimhen with all his heat, is not a traditional number 9. With that being said, I am very surprised to see you rate Olayinka above Awoniyi even though both of them are not really traditional number 9's.

Awoniyi although not the best of number 9's, is a power playing forward so he naturally disturbs the opposition centre backs (which he did well against Tunisia) I love his work rate, unfortunately he is not good at linking up play, but he checks the box on ball recovery and ball running in the opposition third, Ideally Awoniyi is a direct replacement for Oshimen when it comes to ball running.

Peter Olayinka on the other hand is a faster ball runner, but lacks the power to trouble a Center back on a physical level, he may make faster runs, but ball recovery is not his thing. Secondly Peter Olayinka is very poor at positioning himself offensively, he is focused on ball hussling that he forgets a strikers off the ball movement is important, he is very likely to pick unnecessary offside calls, and these days with VAR, that can be frustrating even if you score.

Ideally I would play Olayinka or Awoniyi with someone like Ighalo who is still a better finisher and assumes more predatory positions in the box. Olayinka or Awoniyi would excel at hustling for possession and linking up play to the actual striker.

Sadiq Umar on the other hand is the closest to what a traditional number 9 should play like, but he needs a lot of work, like a lot of work. Because between Awoniyi and Olayinka, Sadiq actually plays with his back to goal, and he naturally finds himself in more offensive positions but... he needs sprinting drills, as well as finishing drills.

So the case of Awoniyi or Olayinka is a case of picking up half an apple, or half an orange, however Awoniyi is the bigger half...

My take is Sadiq Umar needs a lot of work, as he comes closest to being Nigeria's top 9 due to his positioning and that crucial fact that he plays with his back to goal.

Victor Oshimen is not a traditional 9, but he is a very clinical finisher. That finishing aspect of his game allows him to shadow as a traditional 9... in an Ideal setting I would pair Oshimen alongside Sadiq Umar.

-3 The curious case of Kelechi Iheanacho;
Iheanacho needs to stop rotating positions at Leicester City, he needs to pick a side and stay on it so he gets better on it ... I will explain; Iheanacho can actually play as a number 9, because he does it at Leicester sometimes in the absence of Jamie Vardy.

However he does it in makeshift, but when he does, he really performs well as a #9. It shocks me sometimes we have a striker crisis when Iheanacho is available. He is a natural finisher, and currently the best finisher on the SE in the absence of Oshimen but why he plays as a second striker in the SE Always surprises me, this is an issue with players and clubs... when clubs utilise players in a position that is indecisive for long durations, and when they come to the national team they are now confused. Alex Iwobi is also in this predicament.

-4 The maestro and 4-4-2
When playing a 4-4-2 formation a very creative number 10 is required, my question is who assumes that position when the guy who wears the #10 is assuming defensive duties. When playing that formation a very creative player is important, why Nwakali or Iwobi was not employed is what surprises me. The double pivot of Ndidi and Aribo is defensive but not creative unfortunately.

By the way Joe Aribo and Wilfred Ndidi deserve individual medals.

To be honest I really have no issues with the team, they just had tough luck.

Anyway worldcup clips to prepare for ... I wish the Eagles the best, but it would be wonderful if Eguaveon prepared these guys for the worldcup.

1 Like

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by lebete3000: 7:11am On Jan 24, 2022
Nemere2020:

https://dailypost.ng/2022/01/23/breaking-eguavoen-steps-down-as-super-eagles-coach-after-afcon-2021-exit/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1642975548

Weyrey ya Japa!
Humility can only take you so far, competence would eventually decide.
Nigerians hammer too much on humility but stop there, instead of using it as one of the tools to achieving mastery and competence...
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Francashy(m): 7:13am On Jan 24, 2022
E be like say them bribe this man before the Nig & Tun game, this I have seen.
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by sweetjohn(m): 7:13am On Jan 24, 2022
TrackerXL:
You are the one with the hate bro. And I pray you die in your hatred for Igbos. Amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 24, 2022
Fidinno:

But the Man tried
tried wetin
Normal normal we dy exit quarterfinal or third best runner up
Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Justiceleague1: 7:20am On Jan 24, 2022
Eyin naija,Umu Nigerians,eyin awon Wazobia,gut morgen...I say make I greet Una o grin

Re: Eguavoen Steps Down As Super Eagles Coach After AFCON 2021 Exit by Scanty47(f): 7:22am On Jan 24, 2022
May buhari call your enemies this year. Amen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FIFA Best Player Award On 9th January 2016 / African Nations Cup: Egypt Vs Nigeria - (3-1) / Why Keeping John Obi Mikel Is Chelsea’s Best Transfer Move So Far This Summer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.