Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,133 members, 7,821,873 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? (2376 Views)

was I Wrong In Wanting To End Friendship With My Friend? / His Wife Went For Omugo In Uk And Refuses To Come Back / A Friend Wants Me To Lend Him Money. I Told Him To Fill A Form. Am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Mayyvin: 11:00am On Jan 25, 2022
Sent my CV last week and I got a response last night from the MD of the company that I should come for the interview by 9AM on Tuesday.

At about 7AM this morning, I got a call from him telling me that the venue has been changed but the time remains the same.

I said no problem. After all, the new venue is closer to where I reside.

I got to the office at about 10 minutes before 9AM. I was told to wait a little.

At about 9:15AM, I called the MD just to inform him that I'm around.

He said I should wait for 10 minutes that he's in a meeting.

Well, After waiting for over an hour twenty minutes, I picked up my bag and left.

15 minutes after leaving, I got a call from the man asking me where I am. I told him that I already left.

He asked me why I'd leave even after he had obliged me to wait.

I told him that I had other commitments scheduled for today and I can't work for someone who doesn't respect time.

Was I too impatient?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by HarunaWest(m): 11:14am On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:
Sent my CV last week and I got a response last night from the MD of the company that I should come for the interview by 9AM on Tuesday.

At about 7AM this morning, I got a call from him telling me that the venue has been changed but the time remains the same.

I got to the office at about 10 minutes before 9AM. I was told to wait a little.

Well, After waiting for over an hour twenty minutes, I picked up my bag and left.

15 minutes after leaving, I got a call from the man asking me where I am. I told him that I already left.

I told him that I had other commitments scheduled for today and I can't work for someone who doesn't respect time.

Was I too impatient?
Nope. You did the right thing. He is an unserious CEO that cant keep to time. Those sort of people delay in payment of salary cos they see personnel affairs as nothing. If he needs you that bad he will fix another day or you move on. Don't act desperate for a job unless you will be used.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Xscape1993(m): 11:14am On Jan 25, 2022
Yes. Too impatient.

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Truvelisback(m): 11:14am On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:

Was I too impatient?
It's obvious u don't need the job. U haven't even gotten the job, u are already being Bossy. U are very rude and impatient. This implies that, it would be very difficult for u to work under someone.

9 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by jenny005: 11:14am On Jan 25, 2022
Yes. U wud have had a little patience. Maybe they were using that to test u and remember patience is one of the greatest virtue in the bible.

3 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Mayyvin: 11:27am On Jan 25, 2022
jenny005:
Yes. U wud have had a little patience. Maybe they were using that to test u and remember patience is one of the greatest virtue in the bible.

We're talking about a workplace not a religious entity! Productivity is what forward-thinking companies constantly tries to nail, and this is singly attained through proper time management, not patience.

Companies wasting your time in the name of "testing your patience/endurance" are not serious with business. And most likely have a very backward-thinking management at the helm of affairs. Such work environment will stagnate your professional growth both as an employee, and as an individual.

Any serious company values time and respects it.

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by yomi007k(m): 11:30am On Jan 25, 2022
Patience is a virtue.

The same thing happened to me immediately after my Nysc. I had not walked far when the boss arrived. I got the job and I can tell you that it was the backbone of the experience that I have today.

That job made my carrer better.

But I am not you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Sonnobax15(m): 11:41am On Jan 25, 2022
lipsrsealed
Being impatient can cost a man alot of things in life bro............ Perhaps who knows, maybe the MD was only testing you if you'd be patient enough.....My guy,you better know from today henceforth that there ain't no bed of roses anywhere..... There are some sacrifices that you must make no matter what and how long it's gonna take......I must tell you this my man,you fvcked up big time undecided

4 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Bakare19: 11:42am On Jan 25, 2022
You really acted impatient. You should know as an MD, he must be involved in some high level meetings and other engagements. The least you could do there is avail him an excuse, and wait it through to hear him out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by socialmediaman: 11:50am On Jan 25, 2022
Well since you asked I’d say you could’ve had some patience except you had other more important things scheduled. What if the date mix-up and delay were uncommon?

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Klass99(f): 12:04pm On Jan 25, 2022

25 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by NoToPile: 12:46pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:

Was I too impatient?

grin grin grin you told that to a prospective employer? Very wrong move. You were impatient, if you had just left its still okay, but for you to tell him you can't work with someone who doesn't respect time is quite damning as you don't know the emergency meetings he had to hold. Besides he told you he was in a meeting, I would have assumed it was an impromptu one. Patience is a virtue.

You didnt need that ' I can't work with someone who doesn't respect time' statement, it was not necessary.

Well my job, we were scheduled for a 12pm Final interview, was there way before 12 and the interview took place about 5.30 something pm.

When we even saw the people going in and out of the MDs office we were like Na wa ooo, will it even get to our turn like this the HR would go in to remind him, another set of people will come and override us, it is a govt agency so it's expected, so possibly for a private firm a schedule might be met even at that schedules in private firms change.

I couldn't even take the risk to go and eat because it might be that time he will call us to the board room.

5 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by cutiedave(m): 12:49pm On Jan 25, 2022
OP, i dont think you are entirely wrong on this ..

Once you start working for foreign companies and clients, you would recognise that most Nigerian employers or bosses are just very bad at time management...

The MD was the one who set the meeting time ( i assume he must have set it to his convenience) without putting you into consideration...
And yet, he still kept you waiting... didn't see fit to call you before the appointed time to tell you of any delay...

Why set a meeting when you know you wouldn't be Available....even if something comes up, simple courtesy demands he at least sends an sms text to inform you of the delay.

This is just too bad...i still don't blame him sha...most Nigerians are also bad in time management so we condone this kind of nonsense.

The high rate of unemployment also doesn't make things easier.

I hope you get a better job OP.

9 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by GboyegaD(m): 1:05pm On Jan 25, 2022
jenny005:

Na job e wan collect no be favor ooo. Your type is the reason employers disrespect their employees.

5 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by LogicBomb8: 1:41pm On Jan 25, 2022
What if that was the interview....the patience issue

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 1:55pm On Jan 25, 2022
It wasn't wrong to have left much as it's well within your rights but very disrespectful of you putting such a flippant remarks in his face.
You had no idea what the meeting was all about, it probably could mean a fortune to the overall growth of the organization which you're falling over yourself to work with.

Aside the fact that these indomie generation are a disrespectful bunch, above all, they possess very limited amount of cognitive reasoning.

-Viper

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Acidosis(m): 2:07pm On Jan 25, 2022
It's obvious you don't need the job. As much as you love to manage your time, leaving without a prior notice was not good enough. Maybe his time management issue was the reason you were invited for the interview. By taking up new roles, he may be able to manage his time.

There's no perfect answer to your question though especially when we consider our environment. Nigeria is not the Netherlands (where employees walk out of their bosses as soon as it's 4 or 5PM). Life over there is different,you can even go to work with your pet.

You may love the lifestyle in those countries but hey, even HR recognizes cultural differences. You can't take the mindset and approach to work in China to Nigeria or the Netherlands. While the Chinese guy can strike a multimillion dollar deal in a beer parlour, a Nigerian guy would prefer to rent the largest hall in Eko hotel. These are culture issues. In so far as you're willing to work with a Nigerian boss, you should be willing to deal with certain issues, especially those that are not expressly addressed by any employment or contract laws.

Moreover, that man is a sole proprietor, probably managing a family business. In all organizational management studies, family business' issues are well documented. They often face this sort of issues (time management, performance measurement, etc.) whether they're based in Nigeria or not.

4 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 2:31pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:

Absolutely not, neither were you wrong! I have nothing but admiration and respect for you. Because, what you did shows that you place a high value on yourself and your time, you are not one to be treated anyhow because you want/need a job.

I have done something similar in the past, so I can relate and I like a kindred spirit when I see one. It's not arrogance, impatience or ITK. It is simply wanting to be treated with the same courtesy, you extend to others.

And I don't bloody care if he is the MD/CEO. I have worked closely with CEOs and I will tell you for free, most of them are jerks/jackasses. They are badly behaved but because they are the CEO, people hardly call them out. I have called out about two in the course of my work life, but it was at the point of my resignation though grin.

Alison Green my favourite career blogger always says this - interviews are a two way street, you should be evaluating the employer as much as they are evaluating you. They are not doing you a favour! So, if you don't like what you see or how you are being treated during the hiring process, abeg walk.

An hour and twenty minutes is more than enough time, to have waited for someone. And the answer you gave him about having other things scheduled for the day, was just perfect. Some Nigerians need to learn, how to respect other people's time and schedules. You will find an employer who is respectful and a good fit for you. I have, all the times I followed Alison's advise.

Don't beat yourself up about this and don't listen to the naysayers who will come and tell you, there are no jobs in Nigeria, you fucvked up, e be like say hunger never catch you, blah blah blah. There are good jobs in Nigeria and you don't need a godfather or connections to land them. If you know God and you do your part well, 90% of the time you will be alright.

This is not a boast or me showing off, but I change jobs every one to two years, via Hot Nigerian jobs and My Job Mag (yes, I am a job hopper grin) So, you can take my word to the bank when I say, there are good jobs in Naija.

You are an independent minded woman, who doesn't do herd mentality. Independent thinking is not encouraged or liked in our climate and society (judging by the comments/responses so far and more to come) People prefer that everyone follows common practices and act like zombies. As in, don't question anything, don't think for yourself either, just do as your predecessors have done or do as others are doing.

Majority of the herd, would have sat down there and waited till eternity, accepting what is wrong as right and okay. Keep your mindset and you will go far.

He could have kept his disappointment in check, kept a positive attitude nonetheless and his professionalism should have a good impression.
He wasn't privy to the behind-the-scenes realities that must have driven the need for the delay. It is all about flexibility, flexibility can impress a potential employer.

The next time, please stick to what you know and steer clear of what's beyond your capabilities.
I wonder how many army of job seekers your toxic advice could have helped kicked into the streets.

-Viper

3 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Beremx(f): 2:51pm On Jan 25, 2022
Na so pesin dey take miss im luck. Patience is a virtue o!

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by dobnina(f): 3:15pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:

Was I too impatient?
Yes. You were too impatient. This is Nigeria not UK or US. What if the man had an impromptu meeting. What if the man had a emergency. I don't think you are searching for a job. I doubt it.

4 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Klass99(f): 3:17pm On Jan 25, 2022

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by FairlyUSEDpussy: 3:31pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:

Was I too impatient?

Yeah u were too impatient........
U sud have at least waited to know what the outcome had be.........

3 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:

Dear Viper,

My "toxic" advice as you put it, is not for everyone. It applies to and will only make sense to people with the presence of mind to understand, this is not right. I shouldn't have to take this.

Just take it or you are weak/impatient, is a very bad premise people operate from and expect others to operate from, as well. Walking away is a sign of impressive strength, showing you have the presence of mind to............refer to what I said above, in paragraph one.

In all the time she was kept waiting, did anyone approach her to apologize for the delay or even offer her refreshment? It is common sense and good practice to say I/We are terribly sorry for the delay, this is not like us, please pardon us. There's an important meeting and we are running behind schedule OR can we offer you anything? We have juice, water, tea etcetera.

In case you are thinking my preceding paragraph is just fantasy and foreign culture, I do this whenever we have interviews and the superiors are running late. Sometimes, my thoughtful and considerate bosses, leave a meeting to personally apologize to candidates. How do you think that makes them feel and what sort of impression does it create?

If any of this was done, I won't feel so strongly about what happened. Respect is a two way street and should be mutual, I saw your first comment where you said this indomie generation is very disrespectful. I don't belong to that generation but most of the disrespect I have experienced in my life, has been from an older generation of people.

They often act with this superiority complex of, I am older than you. Therefore, you should respect me first and no matter how I act, you have no right to talk back or call me out. They don't respect their old age, they hardly respect others and when they get a dose of their own medicine, they start to shout all over the place announcing to everyone, how you disrespected them. Forgetting they first disrespected you and you only responded to them, the way they treated you.

Coming back to OP's matter, is it that hard to treat people the way we want to be treated? CEO or not? As a CEO you even endear yourself to people, when you are humble enough to apologize for things like these.

I don't have a problem with jobseekers who tolerate any kind of treatment during their job search, because I understand they need a pay cheque for survival. I just admire and applaud the ones who have healthy self esteem, self worth and place a premium on themselves, deciding what is acceptable and unacceptable, what they will and will not tolerate.

I didn't understand what you meant here - The next time, please stick to what you know and steer clear of what's beyond your capabilities. But, I understand that you and I, think differently about this. Which is fine with me and I engaged back because you kept it civil, without being insulting over a difference of opinions.

You express yourself so well. Well done ma.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 4:42pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:

Dear Viper,

My "toxic" advice as you put it, is not for everyone. It applies to and will only make sense to people with the presence of mind to understand, this is not right. I shouldn't have to take this.

Just take it or you are weak/impatient, is a very bad premise people operate from and expect others to operate from, as well. Walking away is a sign of impressive strength, showing you have the presence of mind to............refer to what I said above, in paragraph one.

In all the time she was kept waiting, did anyone approach her to apologize for the delay or even offer her refreshment? It is common sense and good practice to say I/We are terribly sorry for the delay, this is not like us, please pardon us. There's an important meeting and we are running behind schedule OR can we offer you anything? We have juice, water, tea etcetera.

In case you are thinking my preceding paragraph is just fantasy and foreign culture, I do this whenever we have interviews and the superiors are running late. Sometimes, my thoughtful and considerate bosses, leave a meeting to personally apologize to candidates. How do you think that makes them feel and what sort of impression does it create?

If any of this was done, I won't feel so strongly about what happened. Respect is a two way street and should be mutual, I saw your first comment where you said this indomie generation is very disrespectful. I don't belong to that generation but most of the disrespect I have experienced in my life, has been from an older generation of people.

They often act with this superiority complex of, I am older than you. Therefore, you should respect me first and no matter how I act, you have no right to talk back or call me out. They don't respect their old age, they hardly respect others and when they get a dose of their own medicine, they start to shout all over the place announcing to everyone, how you disrespected them. Forgetting they first disrespected you and you only responded to them, the way they treated you.

Coming back to OP's matter, is it that hard to treat people the way we want to be treated? CEO or not? As a CEO you even endear yourself to people, when you are humble enough to apologize for things like these.

I don't have a problem with jobseekers who tolerate any kind of treatment during their job search, because I understand they need a pay cheque for survival. I just admire and applaud the ones who have healthy self esteem, self worth and place a premium on themselves, deciding what is acceptable and unacceptable, what they will and will not tolerate.

I didn't understand what you meant here - The next time, please stick to what you know and steer clear of what's beyond your capabilities. But, I understand that you and I, think differently about this. Which is fine with me and I engaged back because you kept it civil, without being insulting over a difference of opinions.
Ok, OP is a female, cool. You're simply keeping the sisterhood, that's fine anyways.
You're only interested in what the employer was not obliged to, than her purpose of going to the interview in the first place. Your emphasis always falls on the refreshments (not served) and the apologies ( not rendered) in the final position.

Apology for what exactly and to who exactly?

It's more or less an experience whereby an appointment was rescheduled without prior notice after days of efforts and a long stretch of distance, however disappointing, you still had to put up a positive display that leaves an impression on whoever on the other side of the table or negotiation. I wouldn't know how much experience you have had but I have had some terribly disappointing ones yet showed professionalism on all fronts otherwise fortunes would have been gravely affected.
Look, OP hasn't even started yet. Don't Pat her on the shoulder for exhibiting a grossly impertinent attitude. Do not confuse behavioural deficiency and inappropriate manner to a sense of great self esteem.
Refreshments or not, apologies or not, your employer is not obligated, rather be positive, professional, enthusiastic and as much as possible with emotional intelligence.
Maybe you missed the part where she had earlier been informed of the man's having a meeting and the man himself put a call through to her thereafter. Another person would have written her off completely. Meanwhile, her reply to the man was grossly irresponsible. But then again, I expect you to miss that part.

-Viper

3 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by MufasaLion: 5:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99, you're a very intelligent and smart woman. You've always been.

Most Nigerians have slave mentality.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Klass99(f): 5:32pm On Jan 25, 2022

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Klass99(f): 5:33pm On Jan 25, 2022

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by MufasaLion: 6:04pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:

Thank you baby boy, I'm flattered and glad you think so.

@ Framed, thank you too for your comment.

You're most welcome. wink

7 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 6:29pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! shocked grin

I don't know whether to be shocked or amused, right now. But, I am laughing as I type.

This is not about the sisterhood or gender alliance, if OP was male my reaction/response will be the same. This is about independent mindsets and kindred spirits or personas, for me.

In fact, I have applauded a male user on a different thread for doing a somewhat similar but slightly different thing, for personal reasons I already expressed in previous posts.

@ The bolded, I didn't miss that part at all but I didn't address it because in my mind she was truthful and made a matter of fact statement, in response to the MD. The truth hurts and no matter what tone of voice she delivered that truth about his lack of time consciousness/respect, the MD and majority of you would still say she was irresponsible and disrespectful. Why? Because the man is the MD or the MD is a man?

Sorry Viper, she wasn't irresponsible or disrespectful to me in that regard or any aspect of what happened. Sensible people, know to embrace feedback and they value the critical feedback the most, because that is how we get better and better.

If the MD falls within that category of people, then, when he is done being upset or mad about her "disrespect" he will take the feedback and work to improve himself and entire organization. Your kind of mindset about job searching/interviews, is the reason why a lot of employers continue to behave badly and mistreat candidates.

If he had a potential client waiting to see him, would he have kept that client waiting for so long? If a potential client is treated respectfully and his time is not wasted, why not a job candidate as well? Are both, not human beings worthy of respect? Or you think one has lesser value than the other?

Like I said, you and I think/feel differently about this. So, make we rest abeg! I grow weary of back and forth arguments these days, it really is a time wasting venture for me. But, I figured today will be an exception, however, I am done commenting.

Modified to add; I don't know if OP is female, I assumed she was. Because, she mentioned picking up a bag and leaving. It could have been a laptop bag belonging to a male, for all I know.

As for my years of work experience I am not a fresh graduate just starting out and I don't encourage nor advise fresh graduates to take BS or ill treatment in their job search. Las las they are free to do what they want, I will not choke them.
I have no words for you, really. I'm trying my hardest to restrain myself. I'm usually moved to tears with the kind of mindset as yours.
Any sensible person should know that a job seeker is doing nobody a favour but himself or herself.
A sensible person should know where a client stands in an organizational value chain compared to a mere job seeker. Your comparison is disproportionate, save yourself the stress.
It is not about how you and I feel and think about this but the standard ethics guiding the conducts of job seekers.
The moment the man gave her a call back was another opportunity to have made a good use of, however, she lost it within a minute of recklessness. Well, as a job hopper, it tells much.

-Viper

3 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 6:41pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:

Thank you baby boy, I'm flattered and glad you think so.

@ Framed, thank you too for your comment.
Ok.. the energy is derived from overtures by some admirers. It's all good but don't mix ethics with pleasures.

-Viper

3 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Klass99(f): 6:42pm On Jan 25, 2022

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by VTJN(m): 7:02pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:
Lmao grin. It is okay Viper, you can off your mic now.

No need to get worked up over a stranger's comment or mindset.

Keep your mindset and I'll maintain mine. Abeg rest, It is not a battle/war.

I am free to appreciate others for their compliments.

It has nothing to do with your ethics of job searching and job candidates.
please please please, you're so so intelligent and smart. I'm already falling in love with you seriously. I feel like hugging you grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boy Kills Father Over Prayer Points / 6 Real Persons Who Looked Like Cartoon.(pictures) / Frank Edoho, A Divorcee, Anchors Gov Rochas' Daughter's Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.