Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,531 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? (2359 Views)

was I Wrong In Wanting To End Friendship With My Friend? / His Wife Went For Omugo In Uk And Refuses To Come Back / A Friend Wants Me To Lend Him Money. I Told Him To Fill A Form. Am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 25, 2022
ViperAda:

Ok, OP is a female, cool. You're simply keeping the sisterhood, that's fine anyways.

I just want to contribute one thing, this isn't about gender or anything as such. I usually don't rate people who only see things from gender perspective. As a matter of fact, if I owned Nairaland, I would remove (M) or (F), let us all be gender neutral, non-binary etc. So people can see things objectively always.

I agree with the action of the OP leaving the interview venue, but I don't agree with the feedback he gave. I usually advise people to be always diplomatic at all times, It is neccessary as not to burn the bridge with companies because most CEOs around a city know themselves, it is like a mini cult sometimes. I have been in this position many times & what I do is to inform them politely after 1 hour, then leave.

I have personally witnessed situations where HR schedules interviews at a certain time and they were busy chatting about Big Brother while people waited for hours, In most cases companies & recruiters don't value the time of prospective employees.

I have so many crazy recruiter stories that If I decide to create a Diary on them, it would reach at least 10 pages long.

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Klass99(f): 7:36pm On Jan 25, 2022

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 8:20pm On Jan 25, 2022
truthsayer009:

I just want to contribute one thing, this isn't about gender or anything as such. I usually don't rate people who only see things from gender perspective. As a matter of fact, if I owned Nairaland, I would remove (M) or (F), let us all be gender neutral, non-binary etc. So people can see things objectively always.

I agree with the action of the OP leaving the interview venue, but I don't agree with the feedback he gave. I usually advise people to be always diplomatic at all times, It is neccessary as not to burn the bridge with companies because most CEOs around a city know themselves, it is like a mini cult sometimes. I have been in this position many times & what I do is to inform them politely after 1 hour, then leave.

I have personally witnessed situations where HR schedules interviews at a certain time and they were busy chatting about Big Brother while people waited for hours, In most cases companies & recruiters don't value the time of prospective employees.

I have so many crazy recruiter stories that If I decide to create a Diary on them, it would reach at least 10 pages long.
That's it right there, exactly my perspective and the rest of your comments buttressed it.
I don't know klass's age, her work experience but I estimate her to have had a reasonable amount of work experience such that her mentality as regard this issue should not have come off as crass.
Back in the day, we were locked outside the gate till it gets to your turn, if you were unlucky, you accept your fate till another window opens. Nobody passes around a pack of buscuits and a crate of soft drinks. As fresh graduates, we sought for jobs under different circumstances, while some were harsh, others were fairly conducive. Our focus was far more important than a bottle of Coca-Cola.
Even within the circle, my team would prepare for anything to seal a deal. You don't expect a cup of tea all the time.
Trying to rub it off on the employers as though they are obligated to appease your ego for whatever "bruises" you may have encountered is nothing but pure balderdash.

Cast your mind back to the ugly incident that happened during custom job interview in 2014. Till date, has anyone been compensated?

-Viper

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 25, 2022
ViperAda:

I don't know klass's age, her work experience but I estimate her to have had a reasonable amount of work experience such that her mentality as regard this issue should not have come off as crass.

-Viper

You are taking things too personal with your every mention of Klass99. You made your points chill and leave her alone. Your experience and hers can not be the same and she is not crass with her own points.

You keep hammering on refreshments, missing the important points of her message. I believe she used that as an example about humane treatment to job seekers or interview candidates when they have been kept waiting for a long time. She did not say it is the standard or should be the standard every where.

The shading and coded insults you are doing is making you look bad. She answered you well and with class like her name, but you want to rubbish the girl in your posts. You be man, know when to drop a matter.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Stargurl20(f): 10:30pm On Jan 25, 2022
Wey job scarce like dis angry

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 10:39pm On Jan 25, 2022
Framed:

You are taking things too personal with your every mention of Klass99. You made your points chill and leave her alone. Your experience and hers can not be the same and she is not crass with her own points.

You keep hammering on refreshments, missing the important points in her message. I believe she used that as example about humane treatment to job seekers, she did not say it is the standard or should be the standard every where.

The shading and coded insults you are doing is making you look bad. She answered you well and with class like her name, but you want to rubbish the girl in your posts. You be man know when to drop a matter.

Humane treatment my foot. What could be more humane by your projection other than refreshments and a word of apology to go down with it.

Why can't she be humane to herself inwardly and stoop to conquer. I feel so sorry for OP because if she allowed herself pushed by toxic advise, so many opportunities would walk her by. If life was kind enough to her, she wouldn't have been somewhere waiting in vain for longer hours for a job, she probably would have been working in her father's office as oga pikin. OP had better refine her attitude and stop being unnecessarily irrational.
To clarify you, I have nothing personal against your crush. I just wanted her to stop glorifying rude and classless attitude.

-Viper

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by PressMyButton: 10:53pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:

We're talking about a workplace not a religious entity! Productivity is what forward-thinking companies constantly tries to nail, and this is singly attained through proper time management, not patience.

Companies wasting your time in the name of "testing your patience/endurance" are not serious with business. And most likely have a very backward-thinking management at the helm of affairs. Such work environment will stagnate your professional growth both as an employee, and as an individual.

Any serious company values time and respects it.
This attitude would get you no where. What do you know by time management?.. You're rather immature and ill-trained. And from observation, you lack the temperament to cope with work pressure.

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 25, 2022
ViperAda:

Humane treatment my foot. What could be more humane by your projection other than refreshments and a word of apology to go down with it.

Why can't she be humane to herself inwardly and stoop to conquer.

-Viper

This does not even make sense. Just rest it is not that serious. The tread plus people posting whose talk you don't like, is not that serious. Rest and have a good nights sleep.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by PressMyButton: 11:12pm On Jan 25, 2022
Klass99:

Absolutely not, neither were you wrong! I have nothing but admiration and respect for you. Because, what you did shows that you place a high value on yourself and your time, you are not one to be treated anyhow because you want/need a job.

I have done something similar in the past, so I can relate and I like a kindred spirit when I see one. It's not arrogance, impatience or ITK. It is simply wanting to be treated with the same courtesy, you extend to others.

And I don't bloody care if he is the MD/CEO. I have worked closely with CEOs and I will tell you for free, most of them are jerks/jackasses. They are badly behaved but because they are the CEO, people hardly call them out. I have called out about two in the course of my work life, but it was at the point of my resignation though grin.

Alison Green my favourite career blogger always says this - interviews are a two way street, you should be evaluating the employer as much as they are evaluating you. They are not doing you a favour! So, if you don't like what you see or how you are being treated during the hiring process, abeg walk.

An hour and twenty minutes is more than enough time, to have waited for someone. And the answer you gave him about having other things scheduled for the day, was just perfect. Some Nigerians need to learn, how to respect other people's time and schedules. You will find an employer who is respectful and a good fit for you. I have, all the times I followed Alison's advise.

Don't beat yourself up about this and don't listen to the naysayers who will come and tell you, there are no jobs in Nigeria, you fucvked up, e be like say hunger never catch you, blah blah blah. There are good jobs in Nigeria and you don't need a godfather or connections to land them. If you know God and you do your part well, 90% of the time you will be alright.

This is not a boast or me showing off, but I change jobs every one to two years, via Hot Nigerian jobs and My Job Mag (yes, I am a job hopper grin) So, you can take my word to the bank when I say, there are good jobs in Naija.

You are an independent minded woman, who doesn't do herd mentality. Independent thinking is not encouraged or liked in our climate and society (judging by the comments/responses so far and more to come) People prefer that everyone follows common practices and act like zombies. As in, don't question anything, don't think for yourself either, just do as your predecessors have done or do as others are doing.

Majority of the herd, would have sat down there and waited till eternity, accepting what is wrong as right and okay. Keep your mindset and you will go far.

Lol. You're spoiling the life of the Op with this comment. You claimed you've worked closely with some CEOs but have you been tasked to close a deal with some very influential investors or some powerful individuals in the corridor of power?.. It is not by wonderland talks on paper. You never jam.

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:
I told him that I had other commitments scheduled for today and I can't work for someone who doesn't respect time.

Was I too impatient?
I don't see any wrong in what you did at all. undecided

6 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 11:20pm On Jan 25, 2022
Framed:

This does not even make sense. Just rest it is not that serious. The tread plus people posting who's talk you don't like, is not that serious. Rest and have a good nights sleep.
Offer her a job na and give her honorarium on her way back home as compensation. Abeg shift.

-Viper

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Mayyvin: 11:40pm On Jan 25, 2022
ViperAda:

Why can't she be humane to herself inwardly and stoop to conquer. I feel so sorry for OP because if she allowed herself pushed by toxic advise, so many opportunities would walk her by. If life was kind enough to her, she wouldn't have been somewhere waiting in vain for longer hours for a job, she probably would have been working in her father's office as oga pikin. OP had better refine her attitude and stop being unnecessarily irrational.
To clarify you, I have nothing personal against her. I just wanted her to stop glorifying rude and classless attitude.

-Viper

Dude, you've clearly made your point. Now chill.

7 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 11:46pm On Jan 25, 2022
Mayyvin:

Dude, you've clearly made your point. Now chill.
Look at this small thing. Life would teach you.

-Viper

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Mayyvin: 11:48pm On Jan 25, 2022
PressMyButton:

You're rather immature and ill-trained. And from observation, you lack the temperament to cope with work pressure.

You don't even know me from Adam and you're already making pointless observations. What do you know about work pressure?

Y'all total disregard for time is appalling. Your life counts by the second. If you wanna waste it slaving away waiting for someone who shows total disregard for it, then that's fine.

Thanks for your input. Bye.

7 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Mayyvin: 11:49pm On Jan 25, 2022
ViperAda:

Look at this small thing. Life would teach you.

-Viper

Okay comrade. Now chill.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 12:00am On Jan 26, 2022
Mayyvin:

Okay comrade. Now chill.
I just read your thread where you were looking for company of depressed, sad and lonely like minds. I knew your life issues is skin deep but if not properly managed, it would cost you more than you ever bargained for. Now, you've lost a job, who knows how many more is left for you to lose.

-Viper

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Mayyvin: 7:19am On Jan 26, 2022
ViperAda:

I just read your thread where you were looking for company of depressed, sad and lonely like minds. I knew your life issues is skin deep but if not properly managed, it would cost you more than you ever bargained for. Now, you've lost a job, who knows how many more is left for you to lose.

-Viper

Lol.
Here you are, combing through my previous threads at 12AM. I think you need a job more than me. Because apparently, you're clearly jobless.

Good bye, dear insignificant fellow. Continue wasting your life.

7 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jan 26, 2022
ViperAda:

-Viper

This was uncalled for. You are such a pussy, quit being a pussy. Grow a pair.You are masturbating over this tread and showing yourself to be the crass one and a cretin too who can not handle the opinions of people, without getting low and dirty.

You are childish and not intelligent. Your posts show you feel pained and outsmarted so you have resorted to more shading and insults of the OP. You are shameful and a disgrace to manhood

9 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jan 26, 2022
Mayyvin:

Lol.
Here you are, combing through my previous threads at 12AM. I think you need a job more than me. Because apparently, you're clearly jobless.

Unbelievable and shameful behaviour. I was amazed to see that post and the time it was posted and he said he is not taking things too personally with anybody Lies from the pit of hell, let him continue to deceive himself.

8 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by bdchange(m): 8:04am On Jan 26, 2022
ViperAda:

Ok.. the energy is derived from overtures by some admirers. It's all good but don't mix ethics with pleasures.

-Viper
Your response are annoying because you refused to learn from what @klass99 is trying to teach you and others who feel less about their worth and services rendered.

Bosses in Nigeria behave like a god. They don't see employees as someone rendering a service but rather a slave to master thing. And because people like you take shit from them, the circle continues.
I had to nag at my CEO just recently when I noticed she doesn't respect staff private life. I told her vehemently that I won't tolerate such.
I told her don't call me or message me outside work time except it's an emergency. I had to inform her I have personal life I deal with outside this company.

Well I noticed other staff have accepted this from her over a long period of time, that's why she kept doing it.

She has adjusted herself because she knows I am good at what I do and I can as well take a leave or don't bothered being sack.

I just feel pity for most employees with what they go through in the hands of these bosses just because of shit hole country we live in.

As for me, I have passed through that in the past. Not anymore, when I know I can always get a good offer out there, to hell with your useless attitude and work.

8 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Acidosis(m): 8:53am On Jan 26, 2022
Mayyvin:

You don't even know me from Adam and you're already making pointless observations. What do you know about work pressure?

Y'all total disregard for time is appalling. Your life counts by the second. If you wanna waste it slaving away waiting for someone who shows total disregard for it, then that's fine.

Thanks for your input. Bye.

If I may ask, what's the purpose of creating this thread again?

4 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 26, 2022

5 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Richy4(m): 9:00am On Jan 26, 2022
Actually u did nothing wrong... I would have done the same.... but what we have to look at is the opportunity cost of the choice u made...for me what you gave up was more than what u gained...U gave up a job that would have taken u away from labour market for dignity and professionalism...

Is it worth it in a country like Nigeria were unemployment is high?...How soon do you think u can get another opportunity like that?
I mean such decisions are made in a country where unemployment is at the barest minimum.... I admire your courage though...

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by NoToPile: 9:11am On Jan 26, 2022
Richy4:
Actually u did nothing wrong... I would have done the same.... but what we have to look at is the opportunity cost of the choice u made...for me what you gave up was more than what u gained...U gave up a job that would have taken u away from labour market for dignity and professionalism...

Is it worth it in a country like Nigeria were unemployment is high?...How soon do you think u can get another opportunity like that?
I mean such decisions are made in a country where unemployment is at the barest
minimum.... I admire your courage though...

@bolded I love it when people say it as it is wink

You are in touch with reality.

The point is - Is it really worth it in this our country.

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Richy4(m): 9:25am On Jan 26, 2022
NoToPile:

@bolded I love it when people say it as it is wink

You are in touch with reality.

The point is - Is it really worth it in this our country.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Though she has made her decision and I have to respect that... That's why she's an Adult...We are just voicing our opinion and not to make her feel bad grin

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 26, 2022
Richy4:

I mean such decisions are made in a country where unemployment is at the barest minimum.... I admire your courage though...

Sir, but she was not offered the job. It was just an interview and I think that is the mistake lots of people are making.

She could have done the interview and not gotten the job. The MD asked to meet for an interview does not mean the job was hers or a done deal.

The MD in my firm schedules job interviews like that sometimes based on referrals from his close and personal contacts. He ends up not taking them The interview could have gone either ways.

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Richy4(m): 9:33am On Jan 26, 2022
Toplap:

Sir, but she was not offered the job. It was just an interview and I think that is the mistake lots of people are making.

She could have done the interview and not gotten the job. The MD asked to meet for an interview does not mean the job was hers or a done deal.

The MD in my firm schedules job interviews like that sometimes based on referrals from his close and personal contacts. He ends up not taking them The interview could have gone either ways.

I understand.... I believe u still remember your probability in High school mathematics right?....

Now What is the probability that she will get the job assuming she attended the Interview?
Again what is the probability of her getting the job when she did not attend the interview?

She got a chance of getting the job assuming she had the interview....That's what we are looking at.

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 26, 2022
Richy4:

I understand.... I believe u still remember your probability in High school mathematics right?....

Now What is the probability that she will get the job assuming she attended the Interview?
Again what is the probability of her getting the job when she did not attend the interview?

She got a chance of getting the job assuming she had the interview....That's what we are looking at.

Okay I get it.

3 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 9:47am On Jan 26, 2022
bdchange:

[s]Your response are annoying because you refused to learn from what @klass99 is trying to teach you and others who feel less about their worth and services rendered.

Bosses in Nigeria behave like a god. They don't see employees as someone rendering a service but rather a slave to master thing. And because people like you take shit from them, the circle continues.
I had to nag at my CEO just recently when I noticed she doesn't respect staff private life. I told her vehemently that I won't tolerate such.
I told her don't call me or message me outside work time except it's an emergency. I had to inform her I have personal life I deal with outside this company.

Well I noticed other staff have accepted this from her over a long period of time, that's why she kept doing it.

She has adjusted herself because she knows I am good at what I do and I can as well take a leave or don't bothered being sack.

I just feel pity for most employees with what they go through in the hands of these bosses just because of shit hole country we live in.

As for me, I have passed through that in the past. Not anymore, when I know I can always get a good offer out there, to hell with your useless attitude and work[/s].
Please, shut up. Many of you are nothing but low minded asslickers.
We ain't discussing staffs vs employers here, of course, that's a different kettle of fish, rather the emphasis is on job seekers.
I wonder where many of you threw your thinking caps before jumping into my mentions. Apparently, you have low thinking abilities and comprehension issues.

-Viper

2 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 26, 2022
[s]
ViperAda:

Please, shut up. Many of you are nothing but low minded asslickers.
We ain't discussing staffs vs employers here, of course, that's a different kettle of fish, rather the emphasis is on job seekers.
I wonder where many of you threw your thinking caps before jumping into my mentions. Apparently, you have low thinking abilities and comprehension issues.

-Viper

[/s]

You are a very toxic and pained person who can not tolerate other people's opinions because they are different from yours and more intelligent than yours too.

You have turned this tread to a fight and battle now, because of your immature behavior. Sour loser with a capital L. The more you talk the more trash you vomit and make yourself look bad.

Please can a moderator put this guy in check. Cc Lalasticala, Royalroy

5 Likes

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 10:19am On Jan 26, 2022
Mayyvin:

Lol.

How does staying up at 12am has anything to do with joblessness, huh?.
I was right about you after all, you still have a lot more to lose, kid.
A time is coming there'd be no more bag to pick up.

-Viper

1 Like

Re: I Went For A Job Interview And I Did This. Was I Wrong? by ViperAda: 10:31am On Jan 26, 2022
Framed:

This was uncalled for. You are such a pussy, quit being a pussy. Grow a pair.You are masturbating over this tread and showing yourself to be the crass one and a cretin too who can not handle the opinions of people, without getting low and dirty.

You are childish and not intelligent. Your posts show you feel pained and outsmarted so you have resorted to more shading and insults of the OP. You are shameful and a disgrace to manhood

Captain save a ho:e, keep tonguing the right spots.

-Viper

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

For Men Only: The Silent Pains Of A Husband / Should I Do This, I Am A Little Scared. See The Photos I Screenshotted / Resign To Take Care Of The Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.