Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,311 members, 7,811,922 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! (724 Views)

UAE Didn't Make Comment On Lifting Visa Ban On Nigerians - Daily Trust / How Lady Lured Nnamdi Kanu From London To A South American Country - VANGUARD / Nigerians Don't Like Each Other - A South African Writes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 8:25am On Jan 28, 2022
I have read several posts by Yorubas on this platform alleging that Obasanjo (OBJ), a man from the South West, made South South (SS) occupy the Vice Presidential (VP) seat under Yar'Adua.

I affirm the fact that OBJ is the one who made Jonathan (GEJ) a VP to Yar'Adua, and not the SS occupying the VP slot. SS occupying the VP slot was a zoning arrangement agreed upon by the leaders of People's Democratic Party (PDP).

In explaining the above, let me start by saying that OBJ was made President in 1999 by the overwhelming support of SS and South East, and not with the support of his people, the South West. It is therefore not in contention if I say SS were among those who made Obasanjo the President in 1999, and that the South West didn't.

Let me now tackle the main issue. In 1999, PDP zoned the VP slot to SS to compensate SS for their support, and also to appease the Governors from SS to forego or lower their agitation for resource control which was resisted by OBJ's administration. That battle birthed 13% derivation, and it was strongly fought by James Ibori, Peter Odili, Lucky Igbinedion, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, etc.

Now, the initial plan then was to make James Ibori or Peter Odili the VP but due to the fact that OBJ knew very well that the duo are too powerful and tough for him to control, opted for a less powerful candidate in the person of GEJ. OBJ did that to enable him control the state of affairs in Asorock, that is play the role of a godfather after his third term agenda failed woefully.

Even during the administration of Yar'Adua, Ibori was more powerful than GEJ and above OBJ in Asorock, this is what OBJ foresaw that made him not to support Ibori who was the favorite then, in becoming the VP to Yar'Adua. Instead, supported a political novice, GEJ, who he thought he can easily control.

This article is to correct the notion that the South West made SS occupy the VP seat of Nigeria in 1999. Politically, from 1999 to 2007, the SS leaders were more powerful than the leaders from South West. The South West regained their political relevance immediately Buhari became the President in 2015, all thanks to Tinubu.

Come 2022, a political lesson shall be learnt by the people of South West. From Edo down to Cross Rivers, missiles of lessons shall be sent to South West. Ciao.

1 Like

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 8:41am On Jan 28, 2022
Yar’Adua chose his running mate and not Obj.

IBori has never been stronger than OBJ in Nigeria politics..
He and Atiku galvanized the then governors during obj international travels reason why Obj has to beg Atiku in 2003.. and by 2006 Atiku was having issues with President And was literally out of office leaving ibori as the main opposition

Yoruba never voted obj .. but did in 2003

Yoruba has been in opposition since the days of Awolowo, even before independence.

Yoruba got to power for the first time in 2015 and will return to opposition in 2023.

Only this time .. it will take generations for Nigerians to take their opposition serious even with their propaganda and noise ..

Their media power is out and off.. the media personnel’s understands this.. even Tinubu the nation has slowed down.. not enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 8:48am On Jan 28, 2022
If you read my post very well, you will not see where I said Ibori is powerful than OBJ politically. Read the post again. Ibori wouldn't have been more powerful than a man who denied him VP slot. Where did you read that from? This my article? I doubt that.
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 8:49am On Jan 28, 2022
Odin13:
Yar’Adua chose his running mate and not Obj.

IBori has never been stronger than OBJ in Nigeria politics..
He and Atiku galvanized the then governors during obj international travels reason why Obj has to beg Atiku in 2003.. and by 2006 Atiku was having issues with President And was literally out of office leaving ibori as the main opposition

Yoruba never voted obj .. but did in 2003

Yoruba has been in opposition since the days of Awolowo, even before independence.

Yoruba got to power for the first time in 2015 and will return to opposition in 2023.

Only this time .. it will take generations for Nigerians to take their opposition serious even with their propaganda and noise ..

Their media power is out and off.. the media personnel’s understands this.. even Tinubu the nation has slowed down.. not enough.
If you read my post very well, you will not see where I said Ibori is powerful than OBJ politically. Read the post again. Ibori wouldn't have been more powerful than a man who denied him the VP slot. Where did you read that from? This my article? I doubt that.

1 Like

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by richiemcgold: 9:04am On Jan 28, 2022
unfortunately, both ss & se lack the numerical strength to quell presidential ambition of any contestant.

2 Likes

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 9:04am On Jan 28, 2022
Oghene1st:

If you read my post very well, you will not see where I said Ibori is powerful than OBJ politically. Read the post again. Ibori wouldn't have been more powerful than a man who denied him the VP slot. Where did you read that from? This my article? I doubt that.

Even during the administration of Yar'Adua, Ibori was more powerful than GEJ and above OBJ in Asorock, this is what OBJ foresaw that made him not to support Ibori who was the favorite

IBori was never favorite for VP .. in 2007... was only popular among the governors as head of their forum.
Odili was the favored candidate by the president but the north truncated Obj plans and he has to deal with what he have and a soft ground for everyone
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 9:06am On Jan 28, 2022
richiemcgold:
unfortunately, both ss & se lack the numerical strength to quell presidential ambition of any contestant.

Do the South West have the numerical strength than South South? Please we will argue with fact.
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 9:06am On Jan 28, 2022
richiemcgold:

And what strength do Yoruba have that kept them in opposition for over 50 years .. and celebrated 2015 like it’s yoruba independence according to prof ijalaye..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 9:08am On Jan 28, 2022
Odin13:

Even during the administration of Yar'Adua, Ibori was more powerful than GEJ and above OBJ in Asorock, this is what OBJ foresaw that made him not to support Ibori who was the favorite

IBori was never favorite for VP .. in 2007... was only popular among the governors as head of their forum.
Odili was the favored candidate by the president but the north truncated Obj plans and he has to deal with what he have and a soft ground for everyone

I said above OBJ in Asorock. I never said above OBJ politically. Everyone knew that Ibori and Yar'Adua's wife were those controlling Asorock when Yar'Adua was the President. Accidental public servant by El-Rufai explains better.
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 9:08am On Jan 28, 2022
Oghene1st:

Do the South West have the numerical strength than South South? Please we will argue with fact.

Do they have they southeast numerical strength?

Nigeria election didn’t start in 2015..

That the Yoruba man ignorance .. online .. many of the kids believe Nigeria first election was the 2015.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 9:11am On Jan 28, 2022
Oghene1st:

I said above OBJ in Asorock. I never said above OBJ politically. Everyone knew that Ibori and Yar'Adua's wife were those controlling Asorock when Yar'Adua was the President. Accidental public servant by El-Rufai explains better.
No he was never above Obj in Asovilla.. and beside IBori never had that influence in the bill .. tho a good friend of yarAdua as the chairman of governorship forum

What the relationship between Turaki and IBori?
That they were running Asovilla?

IBori was busy with court cases and bribing Supreme Court judges .. yar Asia shielded him for a time .. before obj got to mean with IBori and dealt with him ..

IBori never had that power .. you believe in Nigeria affairs .
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 9:16am On Jan 28, 2022
Odin13:

No he was never above Obj in Asovilla.. and beside IBori never had that influence in the bill .. tho a good friend of yarAdua as the chairman of governorship forum

IBori was busy with court cases and bribing Supreme Court judges .. yar Asia shielded him for a time .. before obj got to mean with IBori and dealt with him ..

is common knowledge that the late President Umaru Musa Ya’Adua did not pick former President Goodluck Jonathan as his running mate in the 2007 presidential election.

However, it has now been revealed that Yar’Adua’s preference was James Ibori, who was then completing his second term as governor of Delta state.

This is contained in a new book, ‘On a Platter of Gold: How Jonathan Won and Lost Nigeria’, written by Bolaji Abdullahi — who served as a minister under Jonathan from 2011-2014

https://www.thecable.ng/shocker-yaradua-wanted-ibori-vp/amp
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 9:18am On Jan 28, 2022
Odin13:

In the advance copy seen by TheCable, the author said after three governors from the south-south — where vice-presidency was zoned to by the PDP — had been ruled out for one reason or the other during deliberations, Yar’Adua asked Nuhu Ribadu, then-chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), about Ibori.

This got President Olusegun Obasanjo angry — and Yar’Adua quickly retreated.

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 9:34am On Jan 28, 2022
Oghene1st:

is common knowledge that the late President Umaru Musa Ya’Adua did not pick former President Goodluck Jonathan as his running mate in the 2007 presidential election.

However, it has now been revealed that Yar’Adua’s preference was James Ibori, who was then completing his second term as governor of Delta state.

This is contained in a new book, ‘On a Platter of Gold: How Jonathan Won and Lost Nigeria’, written by Bolaji Abdullahi — who served as a minister under Jonathan from 2011-2014

https://www.thecable.ng/shocker-yaradua-wanted-ibori-vp/amp

Yar Adua chose Gej as he’s running mate in the presence of Ahmadu Ali, Olusegun Obasanjo And Chief Tony Aninh..
while IBORI was hosting the governors at Delta state house in Abuja

Chief Andy Uba , the domestic affair to the President was send to call Gej who just became acting governor ..
When Gej arrrived .. Obasanjo asked him .. he said he prefer the state Governor so he can serve his people ..
Obj now told him , yar adua just chose him as vice ..
he was quiet for seconds.. then accepted ..

I don’t do media .. I’m well informed .

And I don’t want you to believe me.. someday you will come across how it all happened

IBori already had issues with Obasanjo even before all election bla’s ..

So don’t say every one knows .. only few understand this truth .. except for Tony .. and yar adua ..
all the players are alive and healthy.
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 9:35am On Jan 28, 2022
Oghene1st:

In the advance copy seen by TheCable, the author said after three governors from the south-south — where vice-presidency was zoned to by the PDP — had been ruled out for one reason or the other during deliberations, Yar’Adua asked Nuhu Ribadu, then-chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), about Ibori.

This got President Olusegun Obasanjo angry — and Yar’Adua quickly retreated.

You and your cable .. enjoy ..
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by johnmartus(m): 9:46am On Jan 28, 2022
Honestly I don't want to engage shallow minded people anymore. Even despite Jonathan himself said OBJ made him? Someone from land of ibinu because of their hatred against Yoruba people still changing the narrative just because to set people of ss against Yoruba people .

I read your stupid write up where you arguing and contradicting yourself. Not obj nominated Jonathan to be vice president but pdp elders who are the pdp elders? When the whole of pdp subjected to Obasanjo all the executives of the party are subordinate to Obasanjo. The party chairman then colonel Ahmadu Ali Obasanjo made him the chairman.

Who nominated late musa yar'adua as a president same Obasanjo did. Everybody thought one of the pdp governor might become president do you know why Obasanjo and Donald Duke will never agree together again. He thought Obasanjo has anointed him to be the president then but he don't know that obj have another man in mind.

Who is James ibori during the 1999 till Obasanjo leaved the president seat?even after Jonathan completed the administration of musa yar'adua that IBB was contesting against him same obj stood firmly against IBB he defeated IBB with landslide in primary election.

And for the 1999 this notion of ss and se made Obasanjo a president and his people voted against
him must be corrected although people of ss have not been saying this nonsense except you people from east the forced attach ss to your stupidity

Firstly there's no prominent politician in south east in 1999 that can decide for north and the only popular politician from east Alex Ekwueme contested against OBJ before he was randomly defeated in Jo's. Yes many Yoruba people didn't voted obj during the election because we don't believe in his new party pdp SDP was only popular political party in southwest then and as usual we believe existing political party because of their blueprints .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by helinues: 9:58am On Jan 28, 2022
Here we go.

The VP position was microzoned to SS which means those who are interested should vye for it. GEJ was single handedly picked.. The likes of Ibori, Imoke were eyeing same position then.

No be same Obj nominated Yaradua for the president as his successor?

1 Like

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 10:06am On Jan 28, 2022
johnmartus:
Honestly I don't want to engage shallow minded people anymore. Even despite Jonathan himself said OBJ made him? Someone from land of ibinu because of their hatred against Yoruba people still changing the narrative just because to set people of ss against Yoruba people .

I read your stupid write up where you arguing and contradicting yourself. Not obj nominated Jonathan to be vice president but pdp elders who are the pdp elders? When the whole of pdp subjected to Obasanjo all the executives of the party are subordinate to Obasanjo. The party chairman then colonel Ahmadu Ali Obasanjo made him the chairman.

Who nominated late musa yar'adua as a president same Obasanjo did. Everybody thought one of the pdp governor might become president do you know why Obasanjo and Donald Duke will never agree together again. He thought Obasanjo has anointed him to be the president then but he don't know that obj have another man in mind.

Who is James ibori during the 1999 till Obasanjo leaved the president seat?even after Jonathan completed the administration of musa yar'adua that IBB was contesting against him same obj stood firmly against IBB he defeated IBB with landslide in primary election.

And for the 1999 this notion of ss and se made Obasanjo a president and his people voted against
him must be corrected although people of ss have not been saying this nonsense except you people from east the forced attach ss to your stupidity

Firstly there's no prominent politician in south east in 1999 that can decide for north and the only popular politician from east Alex Ekwueme contested against OBJ before he was randomly defeated in Jo's. Yes many Yoruba people didn't voted obj during the election because we don't believe in his new party pdp SDP was only popular political party in southwest then and as usual we believe existing political party because of their blueprints .

OBJ made Goodluck the VP but not South South occupying the VP slot. What this means is that assuming Jonathan didn't become the VP, someone else from South South would have been the VP.

Also, please my write-up is not stupid. If you don't agree with it, you can ignore. OBJ was made President by whose votes? South West votes? If OBJ was singlehandedly making people the President and VP, why was he not success in the their term agenda? OBJ can't do it alone but with the support of others especially from the North, South South a d South East.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Oghene1st: 10:07am On Jan 28, 2022
Gobengroup:

I sincerely hope you'll not die of wailing

No. Time for Yoruba to be the wailers in 2023. Good meal awaits you.

1 Like

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by Odin13: 10:25am On Jan 28, 2022
Obj didn’t single Handedly nominated yar adua .. befor kids start changing narratives

Obj was guning for a third term .. that was killed by IBB , Buhari, and northern stakeholders.. with the help of Nigerian National Assembly..
though money was shared by both parties in the national representatives to “ kill the dream and encourage the dream “ depends on which side you’re .

Obj visted British parliament and landed in sokoto on arrival , met IBB at sokoto airport who he discussed the outcome .. that some Britain parliamentarians were in support.. which IBB replied that Nigeria is not Britain and he should tell them if such was possible in Britain

To secure a consensus.. and not wishing ibb presidential ambition

Obj settled for yar adua .

And Odili.

Yar adua picked Gej after a whole lot of consultations
Why Odili was settled

In return IBB settled for yar adua .. only to try his luck with against Gej.. in 2011 before retiring politically

Same IBB was later to become Gej backbone in later years .

Kids should not change history .. taking history out of school is the worst thing obj did to Nigeria future

1 Like

Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by WhatCanIsay(m): 11:21am On Jan 28, 2022
Odin13:
Obj didn’t single Handedly nominated yar adua .. befor kids start changing narratives

Obj was guning for a third term .. that was killed by IBB , Buhari, and northern stakeholders.. with the help of Nigerian National Assembly..
though money was shared by both parties in the national representatives to “ kill the dream and encourage the dream “ depends on which side you’re .

Obj visted British parliament and landed in sokoto on arrival , met IBB at sokoto airport who he discussed the outcome .. that some Britain parliamentarians were in support.. which IBB replied that Nigeria is not Britain and he should tell them if such was possible in Britain

To secure a consensus.. and not wishing ibb presidential ambition

Obj settled for yar adua .

And Odili.

Yar adua picked Gej after a whole lot of consultations
Why Odili was settled

In return IBB settled for yar adua .. only to try his luck with against Gej.. in 2011 before retiring politically

Same IBB was later to become Gej backbone in later years .

Kids should not change history .. taking history out of school is the worst thing obj did to Nigeria future

Enlightening.
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by ViperAda: 11:26am On Jan 28, 2022
Obj made Yar'Adua and Gej President. The rest is immaterial. Obj is the reason the SS could talk down on ibos for having produced the President before them.

-Viper
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by ViperAda: 11:37am On Jan 28, 2022
WhatCanIsay:

Enlightening.
What's enlightening in the junks he spewed up there?
The first thing Obj did immediately after assuming power was to retire all IBB boys and cut off IBB's influence. Obj was a man of his own, having the final decision in every affairs. He was even larger than his party, sacking the party's chairman twice from his bedroom.
This is exactly what Buhari did to Obj, Ibb & Dajuma, after he became the President. He whittled down their influence. Buhari makes final decision without consulting none of them.

-Viper
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by WhatCanIsay(m): 11:41am On Jan 28, 2022
ViperAda:

What's enlightening in the junks he spewed up there?
The first thing Obj did immediately after assuming power was to retire all IBB boys and cut off IBB's influence. Obj was a man of his own, having the final decision in every affairs. He was even larger than his party, sacking the party's chairman twice from his bedroom.
This is exactly what Buhari did to Obj, Ibb & Dajuma, after he became the President. He whittled down their influence. Buhari makes final decision without consulting none of them.

-Viper

Whether you are a man of your own or man of the people, you can never ascend presidential position on your own. And when you become too big for the seat, those people that put you there will uproot you. Case in point, Obj third term bid, those people he became "larger" than, sent him parking.

Buhari is inebriated to make any decision, his presidency has seen to that.
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by johnmartus(m): 11:59am On Jan 28, 2022
Incoherent sentence...I'm done arguing with you .
Oghene1st:

OBJ made Goodluck the VP but not South South occupying the VP slot. What this means is that assuming Jonathan didn't become the VP, someone else from South South would have been the VP.

Also, please my write-up is not stupid. If you don't agree with it, you can ignore. OBJ was made President by whose votes? South West votes? If OBJ was singlehandedly making people the President and VP, why was he not success in the their term agenda? OBJ can't do it alone but with the support of others especially from the North, South South a d South East.
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by ViperAda: 12:03pm On Jan 28, 2022
WhatCanIsay:

Whether you are a man of your own or man of the people, you can never ascend presidential position on your own. And when you become too big for the seat, those people that put you there will uproot you. Case in point, Obj third term bid, those people he became "larger" than, sent him parking.

Buhari is inebriated to make any decision, his presidency has seen to that.
Many of you here are very ignorant and have low thinking abilities. Before becoming the President, you have to consult and seek endorsements, Buhari did same.
But what you do after becoming the President determines whether you're weak or strong.
Obj's third term lobbying failed, that's democracy. It doesn't take anything away from him. He wasn't impeached neither was his status reduced. He completed his constitutional two terms and installed his own candidate as successor.

-Viper
Re: OBJ Didn't Make A South South VP! by WhatCanIsay(m): 12:19pm On Jan 28, 2022
ViperAda:

Many of you here are very ignorant and have low thinking abilities. Before becoming the President, you have to consult and seek endorsements, Buhari did same.
But what you do after becoming the President determines whether you're weak or strong.
Obj's third term lobbying failed, that's democracy. It doesn't take anything away from him. He wasn't impeached neither was his status reduced. He completed his constitutional two terms and installed his own candidate as successor.

-Viper

In your wisdom, I'm yet to see a sensible point of yours that negates what Odin13 said. Or you have negated it by talking about ignorance and low thinking abilities.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Lacks The Intellectual Capacity To Govern Nigeria-my AIT Interview That G / Dennis Idahosa "Ambushed" By Overjoyed Residents As He Inspects Projects / [BREAKING]: Court Sacks Ebonyi Governor, Speaker For Defecting To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.