Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,906 members, 7,824,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec (2204 Views)

Ex-Minister, Mbazulike Amaechi Is Dead / Buhari: 1966 Coup, Counter-Coup, I Was All In It, Says PMB / Nigeria Unfair To Mbazulike Amaechi – Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Echile(m): 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2022
Chief Mbazulike Amechi, popularly known as ‘The boy is good’ was a first republic parliamentarian and first post Independence Minister of Aviation. He was a strong member of the defunct Zikist Movement and since the first bloody military coup on January 1966, which sacked the politicians, Amechi has been living in his community, Ukpor in Nnewi South local government area. He spoke on his experience:

ON the coup: On January 15, 1966, themy struck and turned the weapons which we issued to them to defend the country, on the government and the leaders that issued the weapons to them. In the process, they killed the Prime minister of the country; they killed the premier of the West; they killed the premier of the North. They were about to kill the premier of the East but what saved Dr Michael Okpara was that Archbishop Macarious, the president of Cyprus, was his guest that night and probably they wouldn’t want war between Cyprus and Nigeria.

On the other hand they could not kill Chief Dennis Osadebey because there was no Army in Benin at the time of the coup and so Osadebey managed to escape. They also killed Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh, the Federal Minister of Finance. They also killed some members of their own group. For example, Brigadier Maimalari was innocently killed. My close friend, Colonel Arthur Unegbe was also killed. He was in charge of the Armoury and because he was reluctant to release the Armoury to them, they shot and killed him in his house. Since then, Nigeria has never been the same and Nigeria has never attained anything near the dreams of the founding fathers and nationalists and fought for independence of the nation.

Many people had the impression that the coup was tribal in nature in view of the way casualties were recorded.

I don’t know about that but I have told you the reason why Okpara could not be killed. I was going home myself. The first time the military entered the Midwest, I met them at Abudu because my wife had a baby at Charles Borromeo Hospital at Onitsha and that day they were to be discharged from hospital. So after the parliamentary session on 14th January, 1966, I drove from Lagos through Benin. I slept in Benin so that I could get to Onitsha in good time to be able to pick my wife and the baby. They were moving to Benin from Enugu or so. By then I didn’t know that something happened in the night because it was already morning. My car was carrying the NCNC and the Nigeria flag and at Abudu, one Army jeep swerved off the road and ran into our lane. My driver swerved into the field and the jeep came into the field also. An Army captain came out of the jeep and ordered his driver to move on.

I didn’t know a coup had taken place. I just took it that the soldiers could be drunk and could do anything. It was only when I got to Onitsha that my mother in-law told me that the Army had taken over government and killed the prime minister and others. She said the radio had been announcing it and that was how I knew that there was a coup. There and then, I told my driver to remove the flags on the car.

By then, the coup plotters had announced that Dr Nwafor Orizu, the acting president had been removed because the president, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, was abroad on medical trip. They said they were handing over the government to General Aguiyi Ironsi and were expecting a broadcast. So I rang my confidential secretary, one Mrs. Marinho to go to my house in Ikoyi to ask one Joe Obi to pack all my things, separating government property from my own and put my things in a lorry and send home. That was how I ended my ministerial appointment. By the third day of the coup, everything I had was at home here and I said thank God.

Well, the Army took over and they continued to blunder. They continued to do what they were trained to do; that is to destroy; to kill and to loot. Then the quarrel between two Lieutenant Colonels – Ojukwu and Yakubu Gowon – eventually led the country to a civil war. Ojukwu said he was senior to Gowon and that Gowon cannot be the head of state when he (Ojukwu) was a governor.

Killing of Igbo soldiers

Gowon said if you want to be head of state, come to Lagos so that soldiers could take order from you. The argument continued until it led to the killing of Igbos in the north and killing of Igbo soldiers all over the country, with one of them buried alive in Ibadan. The young man had insisted on not doing what they wanted and they threatened to kill him. He said he was prepared to die; after all it was only one bullet that could kill him. So they told him they were not going to waste a bullet on him and buried him alive after forcing him to dig his grave. He was a major in the Army. A lot of atrocities were committed then.

What do you think could be the reason for the coup?

I wouldn’t say I knew the intention of the boys who took over government because Ademulegun and other Yoruba officers never admitted that it was an Igbo coup. It only happened that there were more Igbo officers involved in the coup because there were so many Igbo officers in the army at that time.

3 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by DispatcherLagos: 4:34pm On Jan 30, 2022
Igbo shall triumph at last

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by tommy589(m): 4:45pm On Jan 30, 2022
Another WWE uncensored
Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by pinkPUSSY(f): 4:47pm On Jan 30, 2022

I wouldn’t say I knew the intention of the boys who took over government because Ademulegun and other Yoruba officers never admitted that it was an Igbo coup. It only happened that there were more Igbo officers involved in the coup because there were so many Igbo officers in the army at that time.

That is the summary of everything.. Before the war Igbos were dominating in the military, civil service and other agencies and parastals because everything was based on merit hence Nigeria being the fastest growing country then. Today Nig is the world poverty capital... Consequences of quota system.

Some uninformed urchins call it Igbo coup because Igbos dominated the military, but some Yorubas like Ademelogun that participated in such coup are still insisting it was never an Igbo coup that it's because of the dominance of Igbos in the military that made it to look like one...

undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by headSmasher: 4:48pm On Jan 30, 2022
Hehehehehe all these chop chop Igbo leaders, they are the only one that have stories of Nigeria that others don't have

7 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Odin13: 5:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
Yoruba people will soon land with their own Yoruba narratives

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by espn(m): 5:42pm On Jan 30, 2022
Another version
Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2022
pinkPUSSY:

That is the summary of everything.. Before the war Igbos were dominating in the military, civil service and other agencies and parastals because everything was based on merit hence Nigeria being the fastest growing country then. Today Nig is the world poverty capital... Consequences of quota system.

Some uninformed urchins call it Igbo coup because Igbos dominated the military, but some Yorubas like Ademelogun that participated in such coup are still insisting it was never an Igbo coup that it's because of the dominance of Igbos in the military that made it to look like one...

undecided

Yes when Eboes dominate it is merit. When they do not it is nepotism

11 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by pinkPUSSY(f): 5:56pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:

What's the nexus between this your comment and my post ?...
Do u think there was a quota system in the 60's ?
I hope you know the difference between Merit and quota system ?
Stop replying in the name of replying sake if your comment can't be inline with the topic.. undecided

7 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 5:59pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:

1966 coup plotters planned to make Awolowo Head of State — Olutoye Owa of Ido-Ani, Oba Olufemi Olutoye

punchng 31 July 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2022
pinkPUSSY:

What's the nexus between this your comment and my post ?...
Do u think there was a quota system in the 60's ?
I hope you know the difference between Merit and quota system ?
Stop replying in the name of replying sake if your comment can't be inline with the topic.. undecided
There was a lot of nepotism and compllaints of this against the Eboes

The first person in our history to forge a Ds.c certificate was an Eboe doctor who forged a higher qualification that he did not have from Canada , his name was Anieke. When he was busted he was forced to resign from the governing council of UI

Zik rewarded him by making him his personal doctor and two years later bulldozed him back to the UI governing council

Today we see the same thing at FIIRO with Chima Igwe and a fake PhD and the antics of Ogbonnaya Onu

7 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:03pm On Jan 30, 2022
Redcrafton:

1966 coup plotters planned to make Awolowo Head of State — Olutoye Owa of Ido-Ani, Oba Olufemi Olutoye

punchng 31 July 2016
Why?
If Awolowo was not in prison they would have killed him

Why would Awolowo want to become PM off the back of so many brutal and senseless murders?

That only makes sense inside the FOUR WALLS of an Eboe head

8 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 6:06pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:

The first person in our history to forge a Ds.c certificate was an Eboe doctor who forged a higher qualification that he did not have from Canada , his name was Anieke. When he was busted he was forced to resign from the governing council of UI

Zik rewarded him by making him his personal doctor and two years later bulldozed him back to the UI governing council

Today we see the same thing at FIIRO with Chima Igwe and a fake PhD and the antics of Ogbonnaya Onu

I am actually vert tired of the tirade between all tribes in Nigeria,,,

Are you gyusy not also tired.

Let there be a referendum so everyone can have their place, but you people will wail, cry, gnash you teeth that we must remain..and continue to share hate.

What manner of people are you?

Today only the EBOES you hate wants out but you have been crying like a little baby ever since...that Nigeria is MUST be one. How?

When will this rubbish end?

For how long will you be cursing and using derogatory words on the people you swear MUST remain with you.

Unbelievable.

7 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 6:07pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:
Why?
If Awolowo was not in prison they would have killed him

Why would Awolowo want to become PM off the back of so many brutal and senseless murders?

That only makes sense inside the FOUR WALLS of an Eboe head

Why not stop being utterly lazy and ask the Oba?

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:08pm On Jan 30, 2022
Redcrafton:

I am actually vert tired of the tirade between all tribes in Nigeria,,,

Are you gyusy not also tired.

Let there be a referendum so everyone can have their place, but you people will wail, cry, gnash you teeth that we must remain..and continue to share hate.

What manner of people are you?

Today only the EBOES you hate wants out but you have been crying like a little baby ever since...that Nigeria is MUST be one. How?

When will this rubbish end?

For how long will you be cursing and using derogatory words on the people you swear MUST remain with you.

Unbelievable.
Do the Eboes really want out? Where is the evidence for this?

5 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2022
Redcrafton:

Why not stop being utterly lazy and ask the Oba?
You have run out of sensible things to say

2 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 6:10pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:

Do the Eboes really want out? Where is the evidence for this?

If you are man enough...go to the SE and move around on a Monday.

Coward.

What other evidence do you want?

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 6:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:
You have run out of sensible things to say

I quoted an Oba..

You came with an assumption...

How have I ran of what to say?

Are you a serious human being at all?

3 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:13pm On Jan 30, 2022
Redcrafton:

If you are man enough...go to the SE and move around on a Monday.

Coward.

What other evidence do you want?
You folk are always emotional

Talking like teenagers

What is the sense in this rubbish you have written ?

By your logic you do not want to leave as badly as Boko Haram . You are still learners

3 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by pinkPUSSY(f): 6:14pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 6:14pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:

You folk are always emotional

Talking like teenagers

What is the sense in this rubbish you have written ?

By tour logic you do not want to leave as badly as Boko Haram . You are still learners

You asked of evidence and you were given..

Now see the rubbish you are writing.

How does it feel to live with people you hate to death?

NA wahoooo.

5 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:15pm On Jan 30, 2022
Redcrafton:

I quoted an Oba..

You came with an assumption...

How have I ran of what to say?

Are you a serious human being at all?
You quoted an Oba . So ??
what is my business with that?

2 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2022
Redcrafton:

You asked of evidence and you were given..

Now see the rubbish you are writing.

How does it feel to live with people you hate to death?

NA wahoooo.
That is your own idea of evidence?
So are you telling me that IPOB speaks for Eboes? Just confirm that then we can talk

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:
You quoted an Oba . So ??
what is my business with that?

So I have been talking with a dum fellow, all this while.

How do you feel liking only your own lies?

2 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Redcrafton: 6:17pm On Jan 30, 2022
aribisala0:
That is your own idea of evidence?
So are you telling me that IPOB speaks for Eboes? Just confirm that then we can talk

Why not go to the area and check for yourself...

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:19pm On Jan 30, 2022
Redcrafton:

Why not go to the area and check for yourself...
That is not the topic of this thread.
I do not have time for childish talk
Did I go to the area to check before Ojukwu ran away and your ancestors surrendered?

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Ojiofor: 6:24pm On Jan 30, 2022
January 15 1966 coup was the worst thing to happen to ndi Igbo and Nigeria in general.They set Nigeria towards the path of darkness and bloodshed.

3 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 6:27pm On Jan 30, 2022
Not just the coup but the deceitful way that Aguiyi Ironsi managed the aftermath by failing to try his murderous brethren
And the triumphal behaviour of many Eboes mocking Nigerians with songs and cartoons

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by ViperAda: 7:14pm On Jan 30, 2022
What do you expect from an ibo man, same ol same deflection.
7 ibo majors were the architects of the coup, Ademoyega was deceived to tag along, he had no role or command of any subordinates.

-Viper

9 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by aribisala0(m): 7:17pm On Jan 30, 2022
Even more telling is how Aguiyi-Ironsi managed the aftermath

2 Likes

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by Racoon(m): 7:19pm On Jan 30, 2022
The Igbo domination of the early military Corps and civil service was conspicuous but based on merit as being ran by the colonial masters during the pre-independence Nigeria era.

Though the coup was very unfortunate, but the pervading politico-military events preceding it were pointers that there were a lots of unaddressed grievances.

However, the introduction of ethno-religious supremacist agenda cum bastardization of the then military, quota system into the military/civil service, suppression of Western/Middle Belt regions cry against marginalization by the northern controlled-NPC-led government & army post-independence Nigeria were among the many trigger factors of this coup.

Meanwhile, the bloodier July 28-29 1966 northern counter coup, Feb 13 1976 middle belt coup, Dec 31 1983 and Aug 27 1985 Hausa-Fulanis coups are forgotten as ethnic colourized coups.

1 Like

Re: HISTORY - January 15 1966 Coup: Why They Called It An Igbo Coup — Mbazulike Amec by gidgiddy: 7:43pm On Jan 30, 2022
There is hardly any country in Africa that did not have military coup in the 60's or 70's. In West Africa, every country went through military coup with the exception of Cameroon

Ghana had multiple coups, some of them bloody. But Ghana and most countries have moved from coups and it is now part of their history

What I find really funny is that despite Nigeria having gone through 7 different coups, it is only the first one that some mischief makers like to talk about.

The first coup is the only coup that has been given ethnic colouration. Nobody calls Murtala Mohammed's could a Hausa coup, nobody calls Buhari's coup a Fulani coup, nobody calls Babangida's coup a Gwari coup. Only the first coup was given an ethnic tag because Igbo officers were heavily involved

The first coup is a good indicator of why Nigeria should not be together. 55 years after that coup, people are still talking about it like it happened yesterday. Even those who went on to conduct multiple coups and killed far more people in the process, are still lamenting about that coup

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Good News - India ‘Overtakes’ Nigeria As World’s Poverty Capital / Ipob Sit-at Home: What I Saw This Morning On My Way To The East: Pics & Video / President Buhari Takes Selfie With VP Osibanjo’s Photographer- Tolani Alli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.