Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges (18963 Views)

The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians / N52.5 ATM Maintenance Fee / UBA Bans The Use Of ATM For Some Transaction Such As Betting And Many Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by postbox: 1:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has announced a reduction in fees for electronic banking operations in its published guidelines to banks and other financial institutions.

The review was prompted by “further evolution in the financial industry in the last few years,” according to the bank.

The amended guideline, which was first published in 2004 and revised in 2013, 2017, and 2020, was signed by Chibuzor Efobi, Director of the CBN’s Financial Policy and Regulation Department.

According to the apex bank, the guideline applies to charges made by banks, both financial and non-financial, under its license or regulation.

According to the document, the CBN has reduced the fees for certain transactions such as Standing Order Charge (In-Branch), ATM Managment Fees, Electronic Fund Transfers, and Bulk Payments, among others.

In the most recent release, the CBN stated that the standing Standing Order Charge for intra-bank transfers will be free, as opposed to the N300 in the 2017 guideline.

Bill Payment (Including Bill Payment via Other E-channels) is Negotiable subject to a maximum of N500 per beneficiary payable by sender, a review from N1,200 or 0.75 percent for a biller or merchant to pay.

Electronic funds transfer charges have also been reduced to N10 for transactions under N5000, N26 for transactions between N5001 and N50,000, and N50 for transactions above N50,000.

After the third withdrawal within the same month, withdrawals from other banks’ ATMs have been reduced from N65 to N35.

In addition, the CBN reduced ATM bill payment from N100 to N50. In the new policy, debit card maintenance fees of N100 per month have been eliminated.

The CBN, on the other hand, stated that financial institutions that violate any of the new guide’s provisions would face a fine of N2,000,000 per infraction or as determined by the CBN from time to time.

“Where a bank is found to have wrongfully imposed a particular charge on its customers, the provision of Section I above shall apply to the charge on each customer,” it stated.

“Failure to comply with the CBN’s directive in respect of any infraction shall result in a further penalty of N2,000,000 daily until the directive is complied with or as determined by the CBN.”

“Banks are required to log into the Consumer Complaints Management System every complaint received from their customers and to generate a unique reference code for each complaint lodged, which must be given to the customer.”

Some of the major electronic charges are highlighted below:
*The annual fee for cards denominated in foreign currency (FCY) has been reduced from $20 to $10.
*ATM fees are reduced from N65 to N35 after the third withdrawal in a month.
*Instead of the previous maximum charge of N3,500, the fee for hardware tokens will be based on cost recovery, with a maximum charge of N2,500.

https://brandspurng.com/2022/01/31/cbn-commences-removal-of-atm-maintenance-fees-and-reducing-bank-charges/

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by AntiBMC(m): 1:53pm On Jan 31, 2022
Ok. They should remove all those charges they collect for debit/credit transactions before we can begin to take dem serious.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Edoreborn: 3:19pm On Jan 31, 2022
AntiBMC:
Ok. They should remove all those charges they collect for debit/credit transactions before we can begin to take dem serious.
Seriously bro,,they removes more than 1k from my acct every month in d name of sms charges..UBA ooo

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by adekanmbi1986(m): 6:48pm On Jan 31, 2022
Okay
Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by FERNANDEZISBACK: 6:48pm On Jan 31, 2022
That's a great development if they are really gonna do it..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by FarmWay(m): 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
This Igbo man is the grace in this callous junta we are in at present in this country...

Give Igbo man a to rule Nigeria and see massive transformation

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Brendaniel: 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
When I knew this bank charge thing has turned to stealing was when I checked my account statement and found out that both failed and successful USSD code attempt i did was charged 6 naira each, I then decided to type *919# without doing anything, boom I was charged 6 naira on my account statement, then I saw more than ten charges of 6 naira on my account while trying to recharge my phone through USSD when UBA network was down...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Shuzzi(m): 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
Good development

1 Like

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by funshow21: 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
This is to encourage their 2023 spending spree ...they don't care about us .

6 Likes

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by 2ndchildhood(m): 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
Omila!! whether you withdraw from ATM or not, the way some bank dey deduct money from person account eh, no be here. U no go know until you pay attention.. no be so them deduct a total of N127 yesterday from my account. In the morning when I checked bal with mobile phone, N47 was detected from the initial amount, I say maybe I no remember how much been remain, aftnun I check again, 65 don go, ahah!!. Evening N15 comot, that's=N127..
As I the even type now I say make I check again, bros them, I no see my hard earned N38... no be JuJu be dat??
And I believe say no be only me dem the deduct from laidiz..
brethren, abeg Thief pass this one?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by ugodson(m): 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2022
So NAIRALAND una fit dey give better news like this? Una Weldon o. Thanks for the good news

8 Likes

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by IKBARUTEN11(m): 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
All these Nigerian Banks are thieves. They even charge me for buying airtime through them

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by nairavsdollars(f): 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
i wonder what the useless Emefiele is still doing there

4 Likes

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by MissionaryArchi(m): 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
Hehehehe still on the process
Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by ipobarethieves: 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
cool good
Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Christmasdon(m): 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
help a brother today. I need small amount of money in starting a
road hawking business. i want to be useful to myself as a youth please. Idle mind is the devils workshop they say.

UBA.
acct name. K.O

1 Like

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by SuperBlack: 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
I hope they will not bring the one that is worser than the one they're removing,

1 Like

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Segzy22: 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
After Zenith Bank don they give me high blood pressure!!!

4 Likes

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by ClassicMG(m): 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
GTBank now send multiple sms for a single transaction just so they can charge you big amount.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Adesina18111(m): 6:50pm On Jan 31, 2022
GTBANK dey show me pepper...their charges are outrageous... sometimes 1k, or plus...habah!!!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
When Emefiele allowed a free-for-all customer exploitation by banks, a lot of people didn't know the implications. After 7 years, they now want to readopt the Sanusi policy? Joker...

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is the best thing to happen to our banking sector. I will also give Soludo credits for championing the bank recapitalisation.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Girlieo(f): 6:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
nice move
Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Earthquakes: 6:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
God punish fgn and all the charges..

You can't believe that zenith Bank deducted 900 plus from me yesterday without any alert, I noticed the disparity and called them and the customer service girl with their usual annoying voice was like
"Am sorry sir for the inconveniences, we don't send alerts for SMS and email charges"
Thieves

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by OpssonD1: 6:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
No surprises, election na next year.
1. Proposed Subsidy removal plan was stopped.
2. Bank Charges to be reduced as money go dey fly around anyhow.

More to come!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by salbis(m): 6:51pm On Jan 31, 2022
This is commendable if implemented. Financial institutions are really ripping their customers at every slightest opportunity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by johnross05: 6:52pm On Jan 31, 2022
Election is coming...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by fabson21(m): 6:53pm On Jan 31, 2022
Nice development cool
Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by lampard8888: 6:53pm On Jan 31, 2022
Dammmn niggaar.

I think its high time.. Dis rubbish from banks need to stop.. If money enters ur account dey charge u,, if u send for someone dey still charge you.. Dis is a pure lagal way of scam

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Synburd(m): 6:55pm On Jan 31, 2022
At times you will see their debit alert and nearly collapse. Imagining alert that deduct ₦200 from ₦5000 balance and d said amount is needed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by MAYOWAAK: 6:55pm On Jan 31, 2022
Below is the new Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Approved Charges for all Commercial Banks in Nigeria!!!

1. As a result of the new CBN guide, transactions below ₦5,000 would incur a maximum fee of ₦10; transfers between ₦5000 and ₦50,000 will attract a charge of ₦25; and transfers beyond ₦50,000 will receive a charge of ₦50.
2. The present Account Card Maintenance cost has been eliminated because the accounts already have an Account Maintenance Fee. Savings Accounts will now be charged a Card Maintenance cost of ₦50 every quarter, rather than ₦50 every month.
3. The annual card maintenance cost for cards denominated in foreign currency (FCY) has been decreased from $20 to $10.
4. After the third withdrawal within a month, ATM fees are lowered to ₦35 from ₦65.
5. The charge for a hardware token will be based on cost recovery and will be capped at ₦2,500, down from the previous maximum charge of ₦3,500.
6. Fees for required SMS alerts will be based on a Cost-recovery Model, with a maximum price of ₦4 in place previously.
7. Payment of bills via e-channels will incur a maximum charge of ₦500, based on 0.75 percent of the transaction value up to ₦1,200.

INTERNET BANKING
Hardware Token — There is a maximum charge of ₦2,500 for cost recovery.
There is no payment for the Software Token – One-Time Password (OTP). Charges will be based on a cost recovery basis if the OTP is delivered to the customer through SMS.
Replacement of hardware tokens — Cost recovery is limited to ₦2,500. Only in the event of physical damage, token loss, or replacement after expiration will the customer be charged.
Payment of bills (including payments made through other E-channels) – Negotiable and limited to ₦500 per beneficiary payable by the sender.

CURRENT ACCOUNT MAINTENANCE FEE (CAMF)
Exclusively applicable to Current Accounts for Customer-initiated debit transactions to third parties and debit transfers/lodgments to the customer’s account in some other bank. It should be noted that CAMF does not apply to Savings Accounts.
The charge is negotiable, but it cannot exceed ₦1 per mille.

ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER
The fees accrued for electronic fund transfers include:
Below ₦5,000 – ₦10
₦5,001 – ₦50,000 – ₦25
Above ₦50,000 – ₦50
CARD MAINTENANCE
Foreign Currency Debit/Credit Cards — $10 per year (or its equivalent)
Naira Debit/Credit Cards:
Cards linked to the current account- No charge
A maximum of ₦50 per quarter is charged for cards linked to savings accounts.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by DrFunmisticGlow: 6:56pm On Jan 31, 2022
Election things
Re: CBN Commences Removal Of ATM Maintenance Fees And Reducing Bank Charges by Dialpad: 6:56pm On Jan 31, 2022
The banks should figure out how to generate revenue aside from these frivolous charges.

Banks in Nigeria no longer perform core banking functions, all they do is deduct excessively from individual and corporate accounts.

Imagine a bank claiming billions in profit from the poor masses.

BTW, Is there no way to reduce these crazy theft going on in people's accounts, here in the US, the banks have sophisticated AI systems in place to mitigate the huge losses, they are not perfect but they have at least, put some measures in place.

The case is getting worrisome, people are being ripped off by scammers and the banks do nothing about it.

I guess if the CBN says the banks are liable for the losses they will do something.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Packaged Water Business / Nigeria's Trade Data: See GDP, Top Imports And Exports Of Q4 2016 (Infograph) / Two Oando Directors Resign As Crisis Deepens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.