Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,994 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London (11809 Views)

Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London / Photos Of Nigerians Who Were Deported From The UK Today / Welcome To Anambra State Thread:the Light Of The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by paris10: 12:54pm On Jun 22, 2011
I thought what I witnessed was just a sort of misinterpretation on my part. But few days later, the same thing happened again!

I visited a friend in the London area at about 8pm and was gladly received. But as soon as I sat down, I noticed the lights were switched off and I couldn't even see the beauty of the house I visited. My friend, his wife and child were seated opposite to me and i couldn't even see them  if not for the television that keeps illuminating and reflecting to their faces once in a while. My friend is financially ok and I couldn't conclude that he did that to save himself some money.

Few days later before travelling back to the states, I went to the same house to finalize some biz, to my disbelieve, same bullshyt happened again! I kept quite 'cause i didn't want to upset him. I thought maybe that was just him.

months later, I attended a birthday party of a female friend in London and something similar happened again. I said no, not in a party. It was a house party which was graced by almost 30 people. I got there around 9pm (late) and noticed people were dancing, but in the almost dark! I called the celebrant and asked, her response was ' Mummy switched off the light because she doesn't want to incur bills', I almost fainted and couldn't believed what I just heard.

I visited her again before leaving.And on this occasion, the mum asked me to switch off the light behind me before seating down (yeah, it was at night as well!). I called a friend and told him about my experience. His response was that it happens in most Nigerian's home in the UK. I was like na by force. Even in Nigeria that things are hard, you don't see people switching off lights whenever they've got visitors!.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand how difficult it is for some, but doing it to the extreme is just too mean. Of course I switch off all lights when I don't have visitors or friends around. People are just too stingy in England, even to themselves. However, every weekend, you'll see them all dressed in new clothes, jewellery, shoes and so on, where the money coming from?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Vicjustice: 2:05pm On Jun 22, 2011
paris10:

I thought what I witnessed was just a sort of misinterpretation on my part. But few days later, the same thing happened again!

I visited a friend in the London area at about 8pm and was gladly received. But as soon as I sat down, I noticed the lights were switched off and I couldn't even see the beauty of the house I visited. My friend, his wife and child were seated opposite to me and i couldn't even see them  if not for the television that keeps illuminating and reflecting to their faces once in a while. My friend is financially ok and I couldn't conclude that he did that to save himself some money.

Few days later before travelling back to the states, I went to the same house to finalize some biz, to my disbelieve, same bullshyt happened again! I kept quite 'cause i didn't want to upset him. I thought maybe that was just him.

months later, I attended a birthday party of a female friend in London and something similar happened again. I said no, not in a party. It was a house party which was graced by almost 30 people. I got there around 9pm (late) and noticed people were dancing, but in the almost dark! I called the celebrant and asked, her response was ' Mummy switched off the light because she doesn't want to incur bills', I almost fainted and couldn't believed what I just heard.

I visited her again before leaving.And on this occasion, the mum asked me to switch off the light behind me before seating down (yeah, it was at night as well!). I called a friend and told him about my experience. His response was that it happens in most Nigerian's home in the UK. I was like na by force. Even in Nigeria that things are hard, you don't see people switching off lights whenever they've got visitors!.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand how difficult it is for some, but doing it to the extreme is just too mean. Of course I switch off all lights when I don't have visitors or friends around. People are just too stingy in England, even to themselves. However, every weekend, you'll see them all dressed in new clothes, jewellery, shoes and so on, where the money coming from?
   I almost wanted to dispute this with you, but then i remember one incident that occurred with a childhood friend that i visited in Norwich some time ago, and i remember how he preferred to sit in darkness whenever we were watching the TV, i remember warning him of the risk and effect such long term light could impact in the eyes; i also remember thinking that the room would have been real dark if not for the glowing light from the TV. Could this really be that he was avoiding the electricity bill or was it just by coincident?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by claremont(m): 2:15pm On Jun 22, 2011
paris10:

This is where you are wrong. Don't blame the people, you should blame the soaring bills and tax regime prevalent in England afterall who no like better thing before
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by paris10: 2:23pm On Jun 22, 2011
Vicjustice:

I almost wanted to dispute this with you, but then i remember one incident that occurred with a childhood friend that i visited in Norwich some time ago, and i remember how he preferred to sit in darkness and watch his TV, i remember warning him of the risk and effect such light could impact in your his eyes; i also remember thinking that the room would have been real dark if not for the glowing light from the TV. Could this really be that he was avoiding the electricity bill or was it just by coincident?

Don't get me wrong. common sense should tell us we don't switch on the light when we are by ourselves watching TV. But as soon as friends or visitors comes in, the same common sense should tell us to switch on the light.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by paris10: 2:25pm On Jun 22, 2011
claremont:

This is where you are wrong. Don't blame the people, you should blame the soaring bills and tax regime prevalent in England afterall who no like better thing before

I stand corrected. I shouldn't have said people are stingy in England, my bad!
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by dellnet: 2:50pm On Jun 22, 2011
If you are friend I will not turn on the light for you, if you are a visitor probably if it is a 40watt tube I will turn it to not more than 15watts.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by omega25red(m): 8:42pm On Jun 22, 2011
grin grin grin @ topic

so how much is the average electric bill in the u.k?

here in yankee in the summer months you pay from $120 and up due to the air condition etc in the winter it's like between $45-$80
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by JeSoul(f): 9:37pm On Jun 22, 2011
omega25red:

grin grin grin @ topic

so how much is the average electric bill in the u.k?

here in yankee in the summer months you pay from $120 and up due to the air condition etc in the winter it's like between $45-$80
You must be on the west coast lol. The costs are reverse here. Heating costs the most up here in Boston. Costs depend on the size/efficiency of your house and type of heating - gas, oil or electric.

@topic, lol. Is it really that bad? can more UK folks come and comment on this?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by AjanleKoko: 11:13pm On Jun 22, 2011
Maybe most Naijas in Limey are fans of Nelly Furtado grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by dtraveler: 11:53pm On Jun 22, 2011
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy, oro oshi!,

until dey hit their head on the floor, or break their pickin leg, na him dem go rethink.

Light is IMPORTANT. even without visitor, watching TV, using your computer system, without external light, will affect ya eyes, security nko?, or don't you know robbers/burglars don't like to be seen?

The kind suffer head wey dem no face for 9ja, na him dem dey face for jandom, boys dey use Generator dey sleep for naija now, or worst, Nepa give u 12hrs light,

creating artificial nepa won't fix their problem, if UK no pay dem, make dem waka, sharp sharp, all this strategies of saving kobo kobo, will do dem, NO GOOD!
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Shola2009(m): 1:28am On Jun 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Loool. . . turn off the lights! turn off the lights!

@poster,this is rather serious ohh  shocked . . at least now you know you should always carry along your night-vision goggles when visiting folks at night.
No knowledge is a waste. . wink cheesy grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by shawonlese: 4:06am On Jun 23, 2011
I notice this happens mostly in london rather than other cities.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by iice(f): 7:42am On Jun 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

looool
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by werepeLeri: 8:56am On Jun 23, 2011
Bros - no be stinginess - or whatever you call it. Even if you dey the same situation - u go just cut the whole light off begin use candle or lantern.

You think say he easy to pay bills in the UK?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by onufidel(m): 8:59am On Jun 23, 2011
The reason is cos. Rates of energy consumption results in bills i.e you pay as you use power.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 9:05am On Jun 23, 2011
shawonlese:

I notice this happens mostly in london rather than other cities. 

this is so true and this is because the cost of living in london is bordering on ridiculous. 7 out of 10 nigerian houses you visit do this practice but then it depends on the social status of the people you are visiting.

there are two types of gas/electricity billing system. . . .you have the pay-as-you-go card that you top-up when you have used up the utility and you have the monthly payment billing system that puts you on a flat rate. a lot of nigerians opt for the pay-as-you-go to control their finances.

the belief is. . . . . . .what they use is what they pay and no mago-mago billing system can cheat them but the truth is. . . . .they often spend more than the ones using the monthly billing system. it's all about orientation and information.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by omanzo02: 9:06am On Jun 23, 2011
They are always Mr and Mrs stingy in England. grin grin grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by omanzo02: 9:09am On Jun 23, 2011
werepeLeri:

Bros - no be stinginess - or whatever you call it. Even if you dey the same situation - u go just cut the whole light off begin use candle or lantern.

You think say he easy to pay bills in the UK?

What is so special with electricity bill in UK than other European countries?. stop being siilly man. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by olapluto(m): 9:09am On Jun 23, 2011
I think the poster is right, but some bits might be exagerated. Its almost 'normal' to switch off you lights as soon as you are not using it. I think UK teaches us to be wiser in the way we use resources.
However, I think its gross not to switch on the light when you have a visitor or even a friend. Thats taking it too far. I've never experienced such, but I know some Nigerians in London are really over the board, but I dont blame them.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by snthesis(m): 9:12am On Jun 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

small wonder you can always tell the difference btw sum1 that jst got back from yankee and jand.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 9:13am On Jun 23, 2011
omanzo02:

What is so special with electricity bill in UK than other European countries?. stop being siilly man.  grin grin grin

it's the most expensive in the developed world coupled with the fact that there are other bills to pay here and there. . . .on bills alone, people pay as much as £1500 per month if you stay in the heart of the capital.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by nolongtin(m): 9:18am On Jun 23, 2011
@ coogar,i dont think ur right on dis, way back wen i was renting a 2room aprtmt i pay montly 50 pounds on electric,now i gat a 5 bed apart ,i now use pay as u go and still pay same.i was thinking it will be higher cus i gat more rooms but, and again you look @ the service provider, some are more expensive.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 9:24am On Jun 23, 2011
nolongtin:

@ coogar,i dont think your right on dis, way back wen i was renting a 2room aprtmt i pay montly 50 pounds on electric,now i gat a 5 bed apart ,i now use pay as u go and still pay same.i was thinking it will be higher cus i gat more rooms but, and again you look @ the service provider, some are more expensive.

you can use £10 monthly on pay-as-you-go in a 20 bedroom apartment if you want to. the control is with you and if you use your electricity miserly, it can be achieved. what i am saying here is you must have conditioned yourself in the 5-bedroom apartment not to spend more than £50 a month.
my problem with pay-as-you-go is. . . . .what if your light goes off at 1 am on a cold snowy night in february? you will just die of hypothermia because you are saving money?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by beknown(m): 9:28am On Jun 23, 2011
@Poster,

Electricity, Gas and Water bills in the UK is not a matter of joke. However, switching off light when you really need it is not sensible.

People should learn to switch off light when it is not required.

A recent article in CastlesWeekly is interesting and will be useful for people who like to save on electricity:
http://www.castlesweekly.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=1575

Three bedroom family house in the UK pay an average of:
- £60 on electricity per month
- £60 on gas per month
- £40 on water per month

Ways to reduce high energy bills:
- Reduce wastage of water, gas and electricity
- Use energy saving light bulbs
- Shop around for cheaper energy suppliers
- Doubleglaze your windows and doors
- Insulate your loft to conserve heat
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by PeeDaVinci: 9:30am On Jun 23, 2011
never experienced wat you mentioned!!! but if pple do this, i think it is good both for the environment and their pocket. however, i would also say that there are better ways to go about this , e.g. using energy efficient bulb (which is now cheaper than normal bulb in germany), using light switches with brightness regulator e.t.c.
nigeria is a country where pple do not pay the real values for the goods and services they get from the govt (water, electricity, petrol, kerosene, refuse cleaning, good roads etc) hence we dont put value on them. but the irony of it is that we pay much more to get these services from individuals e.g. consider money spent on generators and fuels, cost of buyin water from aboki/tanker, the levy imposed on u by landlord assoc for repairin ur street's roads  etc.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by denzel2009: 9:31am On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

you can use £10 monthly on pay-as-you-go in a 20 bedroom apartment if you want to. the control is with you and if you use your electricity miserly, it can be achieved. what i am saying here is you must have conditioned yourself in the 5-bedroom apartment not to spend more than £50 a month.
my problem with pay-as-you-go is. . . . .what if your light goes off at 1 am on a cold snowy night in february? you will just die of hypothermia because you are saving money?

Lol, the providers know this would happen that is why all prepaid electric keys have emergency top up. If the light goes off, you just re-insert the key and it gives you an extra 3 days worth of electricity.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 9:34am On Jun 23, 2011
beknown:

@Poster,

Electricity, Gas and Water bills in the UK is not a matter of joke. However, switching off light when you really need it is not sensible.

People should learn to switch off light when it is not required.

A recent article in CastlesWeekly is interesting and will be useful for people who like to save on electricity:
http://www.castlesweekly.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=1575

Three bedroom family house in the UK pay an average of:
- £60 on electricity per month
- £60 on gas per month
- £40 on water per month

you can add the following to the list above. . .

sky/virgin(satellite/cable)
council tax
tv license
internet
bt-bill/mobile phones
road tax
rent
car insurance/home insurance

and these bills are not bills you can evade like nigerians evade nepa/phcn by calling a technician to reconnect after getting disconnected. the only controllable bill here is the gas/electricity bill so one must understand why nigerians turn off their lights. grin cheesy

denzel2009:

Lol, the providers know this would happen that is why all prepaid electric keys have emergency top up. If the light goes off, you just re-insert the key and it gives you an extra 3 days worth of electricity.

what if you were already on the emergency top up and it get used up? remember last december when people were snowed in for like 7 days. do you know the number of people that died of the cold weather because they couldn't heat their homes?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by debest1(m): 9:36am On Jun 23, 2011
At the end of the day it's his house and he needs to manage his resources as best as he can. Come month end are you going to help him pay his bills? if you are not happy with his "pana pana" tactics them next time visit him during the daytime.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Lexusgs430: 9:37am On Jun 23, 2011
Switching lights out during a party or when you have guests is a bit extreme.
But in places like Nigeria, lights are usually switched on regardless of if room is occupied or not.
In the uk, when a room is not occupied, by default the lights are turned off by instincts, why switch on the lights in unoccupied rooms, thereby increasing your energy bills ?
My average gas and electricity bill is about £200 a month, so why would I want to pay more than necessary ?
@ poster switching on lights in unoccupied rooms, is like turning on all the water taps in the kitchen, toilet etc, when it is not required !!!
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by mbulela: 9:40am On Jun 23, 2011
@OP, stop visiting people at night.
visit during day time.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by snowdrops(m): 9:41am On Jun 23, 2011
how can you generalized based on your experience at two nigerian homes.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by iice(f): 9:47am On Jun 23, 2011
debest1:

At the end of the day it's his house and he needs to manage his resources as best as he can. Come month end are you going to help him pay his bills? if you are not happy with his[b] "pana pana" [/b]tactics them next time visit him during the daytime.

See as i dey scatter laugh for hia grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? / Abuja Train Attack: Amaechi Promises Improved Security As Train Services Resumes / Truck On Fire At Ladipo Market (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.