Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,187 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London (11833 Views)

Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London / Photos Of Nigerians Who Were Deported From The UK Today / Welcome To Anambra State Thread:the Light Of The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by comechop1: 6:10pm On Jun 23, 2011
@ Ajanlekoko u said what am trying to reason as how? Is it about the light yes there a lot of energy-converting 0.0 3 watts bulbs and cost only a few pennies a year to operate. So turning off light and staying in the dark is absolutely rubbish!!!!! Is it about the solar power what is it? or living abroad by force?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by r231(m): 6:10pm On Jun 23, 2011
denzel2009:

Bros tell me the name of the restaurant I need to do extended Bible reading on sunday  cheesy

Embassy Restaurant
78 Blackheath Road
London
SE10 8DA
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by denzel2009: 6:14pm On Jun 23, 2011
r231:

Embassy Restaurant
78 Blackheath Road
London
SE10 8DA

Thank you bro. dem go hear am.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Jun 23, 2011
lol as funny as the poster sounds, its a serious issue which you guys back home do not understand, LONDON IS THE SECOND most expensive  city to live in the world, first is TOKYO, OP  why are you suprised about how Energy is managed in someone elses flat/House? I share  a flat with my Coz since the beginning of thismonth, I have topped my metre up to £40, as per you saying stuff about going to a party and lights where off, do you get lights turned on  at Night clubs? I think its same reason cos people are shy at full lights.In nigeria we are very wastfull in terms of Energy, ie if we where to have 24/7 power, in Nigeria,Energy bills per household would rise to nearly N10000 a month, would you not do same?I for one preffer to watch my TV with lights off  its preferable same as going to the pictures lights are turned off B4  the movie starts so there aint no evidence saying there is long term effect watching TV in this mood,it only creates cinima effect.And plz do not confuse savings with stingyness.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by comechop1: 6:27pm On Jun 23, 2011
@ Willie i feel u is not easy especially when ur not skilled in that area order wise u can do it urself grin thou i prefer living in Africa in general. cheers
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by mamagee3(f): 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2011
denzel2009:

Bros tell me the name of the restaurant I need to do extended Bible reading on sunday cheesy
It's called Grant-de-view italian restaurant. . . tongue
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by dayokanu(m): 7:05pm On Jun 23, 2011
mama-gee:

It's called Grant-de-view italian restaurant. . . tongue

Hey sweerie
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by otiigba1(m): 7:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
i live in london and i certainly do not, turn my lights out, the only time i do that is when going to bed or in the summer when you dont need lights sometimes, apart from that my lights my television my music set my heating my microwave my oven and e.t.c i use everything to the maximum, why? because  i dont pay bills i move in owe a lot of bills, move out move in some were else owe some more bills move out, do same thing, grin grin grin grin if you carry on paying bills you will go back to naija with an empty plastic bag, it does not matter wether you turn on the lights or not you will still get charged a lot of money, ara ga agba ndi ara ( igbo)
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by debosky(m): 8:09pm On Jun 23, 2011
Oddly enough, those people are just wasting their time for the most part - turning off lightbulbs is hardly going to make a dent in your bills when larger consumers like TVs, irons, washing machines and other electricity guzzlers are in use.

If the guy wants to be cheap, he should've turned on a radio and left the lights on instead of the TV grin grin

Get an energy meter - most of the big power companies offer one, and you'll see for yourself that lightbulb wahala is a waste of time, except you're using those fancy spotlights, now those are a big drainer.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by erico2k2(m): 8:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
debosky:

Oddly enough, those people are just wasting their time for the most part - turning off lightbulbs is hardly going to make a dent in your bills when larger consumers like TVs, irons, washing machines and other electricity guzzlers are in use.

If the guy wants to be cheap, he should've turned on a radio and left the lights on instead of the TV grin grin

Get an energy meter - most of the big power companies offer one, and you'll see for yourself that lightbulb wahala is a waste of time, except you're using those fancy spotlights, now those are a big drainer.
you are spot on, the OP seems to think cos someone turns the light off is stingy and saving Energy lol, when you need the light it goes on if you dont it goes off, lol this is the funny side of the storey.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by aribisala0(m): 9:51pm On Jun 23, 2011
paris10:

I thought what I witnessed was just a sort of misinterpretation on my part. But few days later, the same thing happened again!

I visited a friend in the London area at about 8pm and was gladly received. But as soon as I sat down, I noticed the lights were switched off and I [/b]couldn't even see the beauty of the house [b]I [/b]visited. [b]My friend, his wife and child were seated opposite to me and i [/b]couldn't even see them  if not for the television that keeps illuminating and reflecting to their faces once in a while. My friend is financially ok and[b] I [/b]couldn't conclude that he did that to save himself some money.

Few days later [b]before travelling back to the states,
I [/b]went to the same house to finalize some biz, to my disbelieve, same bullshyt happened again! [b]I [/b]kept quite 'cause [b]i didn't want to upset him. I [/b]thought maybe that was just him.

months later, [b]I
attended a birthday party of a female friend in London and something similar happened again. I [/b]said no, not in a party. It was a house party which was graced by almost 30 people. [b]I [/b]got there around 9pm (late) and noticed people were dancing, but in the almost dark! [b]I called the celebrant and asked, her response was ' Mummy switched off the light because she doesn't want to incur bills', I almost fainted and couldn't believed what I just heard.

I visited her again before leaving.And on this occasion, the mum asked me [/b]to switch off the light behind [b]me before seating down (yeah, it was at night as well!). I [/b]called a friend and told him about [b]my experience. His response was that it happens in most Nigerian's home in the UK. I was like na by force. Even in Nigeria that things are hard, you don't see people switching off lights whenever they've got visitors!.

Don't get me wrong, I [/b]do understand how difficult it is for some, but doing it to the extreme is just too mean. Of course [b]I switch off all lights when I don't have visitors or friends around. People are just too stingy in England, even to themselves. However, every weekend, you'll see them all dressed in new clothes, jewellery, shoes and so on, where the money coming from?

okay ,so you are into yourself. i figured that one out. but you really are not very bright,are you?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by indigo2: 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2011
what a dumb dumb topic!!! @poster American big boi!!indeed, invite us to your house and lets see for ourselves, one question?why do Nigerians like to paint fellow Nigerians abroad as 'suffering'. does it provide some kind of joy for them to think those abroad are living in pains? i lived in Nigeria for over 20years, schooled and worked and even with the high taxes and all, i would rather 'suffer' in UK than return to that country so please people should mind their own business and their 'wonderful lives' including those boasting about Nigerians running generators all night long, what a joke!!!!. The guy knows where it is biting him so as someone suggested, next time visit him in the daytime or remain in your house.

In 2002/2003, i visited Cotonou. I spent 3 days and the power supply was uninterrupted. it went off for an hour for maintenance and this was announced long before the day. In the house where i stayed, i noticed the lights were switched off a lot. They never made use of the electric iron but instead used a coal iron. At the time i thought that was crazy but now I know that in a place where amenities work, you have to pay for them. No officials to bribe, no uncle to talk to , and i expect the poster and others to know this!! i would advise some people commenting here to concentrate on queueing for their diesel so they can have sweetdreams with their generators giving out sweet melodies all night long,

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by hbrednic: 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2011
in britain you must work like a blackman to live like the whitemen tongue
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by armyofone(m): 10:31pm On Jun 23, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin @ topic hehehe

in the US, it is the AC during summer and Heat during wintertime.
if you go to some pple's home, ha hotness will quench you. they use fan for this type of heat and dress extra layer for the winter.
kai, not funny at all.
there is a way to keep the temp without incurring extra bills.
went to a friend's home and asked to use her bathroom. i sat to do my business and as usual looked around smiley. i saw an aging bucket in the tub and small plate inside. she told me they charge her for water so she use the bucket for her bath. i was like eh? must be hard out there.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by ada24: 10:36pm On Jun 23, 2011
when i go on holiday I usually stay in a hotel, if it pains u so much to have the lights switched off - abeg there are plenty of hotels in London, or don't u know staying with friends and then complaining at the hospitality given is equally "stingy"

as for running gen all night - don't let me fall off my chair laughing - so the noise pollution and fumes are good for your health abi. this is 2011 and u don't think there is anything wrong with a society that can't provide basic electricity for its people. KMT!!!!

i don't know why some people back home get joy from thinking those abroad are suffering, its either some sort reverse inferiority complex or the realisation that things are not that great where u are but to make yourself feel better you put others down.

2 Likes

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by armyofone(m): 10:55pm On Jun 23, 2011
@ Wallie your list was soooooooooooooooooooo hilarious, i'm guilty of all of them but i will be changing since it cost money grin grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by aribisala0(m): 11:07pm On Jun 23, 2011
ada24:

when i go on holiday I usually stay in a hotel, if it pains u so much to have the lights switched off - abeg there are plenty of hotels in London, or don't u know staying with friends and then complaining at the hospitality given is equally "stingy"

as for running gen all night - don't let me fall off my chair laughing - so the noise pollution and fumes are good for your health abi. this is 2011 and u don't think there is anything wrong with a society that can't provide basic electricity for its people. KMT!!!!

i don't know why some people back home get joy from thinking those abroad are suffering, its either some sort reverse inferiority complex or the realisation that things are not that great where u are but to make yourself feel better you put others down.

i wonder. please next time stay in a hotel and have a luminous holiday
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by dayokanu(m): 11:16pm On Jun 23, 2011
armyofone:

grin grin grin grin grin @ topic hehehe

in the US, it is the AC during summer and Heat during wintertime.
if you go to some pple's home, ha hotness will quench you. they use fan for this type of heat and dress extra layer for the winter.
kai, not funny at all.
there is a way to keep the temp without incurring extra bills.
went to a friend's home and asked to use her bathroom. i sat to do my business and as usual looked around smiley. i saw an aging bucket in the tub and small plate inside. she told me they charge her for water so she use the bucket for her bath. i was like eh? must be hard out there.

Then come to me and you would have enough.

Semper Fi
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by mobillon: 11:21pm On Jun 23, 2011
At least the guys in London always have light and so they can switch it off to save. In Nigeria, you do not need to switch off the lights - NEPA is permanently OFF.  Suppose you even switch off your lights in Nigeria what does it accomplish? You get the same giant, unbelieveable crazy BILL from NEPA whether or not they bring the light.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Kunbee: 11:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
Never noticed undecided
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by r231(m): 11:26pm On Jun 23, 2011
^^^^notice what cheesy grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Radiant(f): 11:26pm On Jun 23, 2011
Come on guys! My gas and electricity have never been more than £80/month (London) even in winter when all my heaters are on and I don't share a flat/house with anybody.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by nedu666: 11:57pm On Jun 23, 2011
Hi eghost 247, i would like to ask u something personal. My mail is chinedu619@yahoo.com. Pls contact. Thanks
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by manny4life(m): 12:06am On Jun 24, 2011
@OP, it's not only in London, in the U.S. Nigerians do just about the same, ew months ago my bill was about $40/month because everything was turned off in my house, but over the past month when the humid weather of 90 something hit us, I left the AC on and everything on, my bill was $176, do u think I will leave light or appliances on again? F/U/C/K NO! I now turn everything off in my house, use green appliances like all my living room appliances TV,Digital box, blu-ray player et al is green, my light is green, when I leave for work in the morning, one switch turns everything off, AC off, everything is cut off, and when I return, I turn everything off, spend no more than 15mins using the hot shower, I have to do these thing to bring my bill down.

Blame it on soaring expensive light bills.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 12:07am On Jun 24, 2011
Radiant:

Come on guys! My gas and electricity have never been more than £80/month (London) even in winter when all my heaters are on and I don't share a flat/house with anybody.

Pay as you go?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by EuroMeko(m): 12:13am On Jun 24, 2011
dayokanu:

Then come to me and you would have enough.

Semper Fi

McKinney eh. I lived in Celina there for 3 years, highest utility bill I have ever had.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by aribisala0(m): 12:13am On Jun 24, 2011
do you wanna share with me.  grin grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Sagewood: 7:20am On Jun 24, 2011
I have lived in London, UK, before relocating to the US. Electricity bill is expensive in the UK and the US as well, especially for people like us that live in MacMansion. The bottom line is live according to your pocket, but turning off light when you have visitors is just stupid and insensitive. Few hours of visit will not break the bank.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by werepeLeri: 8:01am On Jun 24, 2011
omanzo02:

What is so special with electricity bill in UK than other European countries?. stop being siilly man.  grin grin grin

Your silliness is as much as being s t u pi d
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by IBEXY(m): 11:55am On Jun 24, 2011
This is a "no topic". You visited 2 "stingy" friends of yours who love the dark and that leads you to conclude all Nigerians in London live in darkness?

Get a life ma bruda!
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Radiant(f): 3:34pm On Jun 24, 2011
kandiikane:

Pay as you go?

Not at all. My supplier is Utility Warehouse.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by EuroMeko(m): 4:02pm On Jun 24, 2011
Sagewood:

I have lived in London, UK, before relocating to the US. Electricity bill is expensive in the UK and the US as well, especially for people like us that live in MacMansion. The bottom line is live according to your pocket, but turning off light when you have visitors is just silly and insensitive. Few hours of visit will not break the bank.

I don't miss my 3,500 square feet McMansion in Texas, my summer electric bills was averaging $300 a month. I live in a 750 square foot apartment now in SoCal and the highest electric bill is $22 per month.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Is The Cost Self Contain In Cotonou Benin Republic / Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.