Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,030 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London (11834 Views)

Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London / Photos Of Nigerians Who Were Deported From The UK Today / Welcome To Anambra State Thread:the Light Of The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by denzel2009: 9:50am On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

what if you were already on the emergency top up and it get used up? remember last december when people were snowed in for like 7 days. do you know the number of people that died of the cold weather because they couldn't heat their homes?

Before you can switch to the emergency the electricity would have gone off and you'd have to re-insert the key. If after 3 days you are not able to top up, you are on your own.

Even during the heavy snow, the indian cornershops were opened.

2 Likes

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 9:57am On Jun 23, 2011
denzel2009:

Before you can switch to the emergency the electricity would have gone off and you'd have to re-insert the key. If after 3 days you are not able to top up, you are on your own.

Even during the heavy snow, the indian cornershops were opened.

that must be in london. . . . . .in faraway yorkshire, there was no life. some people even got stranded in a pub for a week cos they couldn't go home. vehicles were completely buried with snow. which indian wants to die? grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Cuteobi(f): 10:03am On Jun 23, 2011
WHAT HAPPENED TO ENERGY SAVING BULBS! If dem like make dem no boil water bath for winte.make dem no baf sef sav water.rubbish!!
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by snowdrops(m): 10:07am On Jun 23, 2011
Cuteobi:

WHAT HAPPENED TO ENERGY SAVING BULBS! If dem like make dem no boil water bath for winte.make dem no baf sef sav water.rubbish!!
you are right. i have some at home, they are more expensive, but last for years and hardly consume electricity.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by snowdrops(m): 10:08am On Jun 23, 2011
they can be bought at B and Q, homebase, etc.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by r231(m): 10:10am On Jun 23, 2011
snowdrops:

how can you generalized based on your experience at two nigerian homes.

thank you

i can't sleep without light even when i go bck home i run gen 24hrs

btw pple turn off lights at house parties. . . . thats not new except if you don't want to grab a chicks a3s grin grin

a lot goes on wen its dark at a party. . . . trust me on this one grin grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by r231(m): 10:13am On Jun 23, 2011
snowdrops:

you are right. i have some at home, they are more expensive, but last for years and hardly consume electricity.

i get that from EDF for free. . . . don't know why but they post them to me every yr
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 10:16am On Jun 23, 2011
r231:

i get that from EDF for free. . . . don't know why but they post them to me every yr

their customer service chic probably fancies you. wink
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by snowdrops(m): 10:22am On Jun 23, 2011
r231:

I get some from British gas as well. But you only get fanciful ones in store.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by bright007(f): 10:31am On Jun 23, 2011
**i live in london $ i dont switch off my light at all.maybe those people u are referring to are poor.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Reference(m): 10:53am On Jun 23, 2011
Hmmm, you see what round the clock power can cost. Self sanctions. Just reminds me when we were kids and split our toe caps playing footy on the pavement. Mummy holding the bottle of hot iodine, would say I told so. No, no no, mummy you can't apply that, then she gives you the brownish cotton wool. Do it yourself or bleed to death. So for Nigerians screaming their heads off and insulting PHCN folks left, right, centre, here in Nigeria, be careful what you wish for. grin grin grin.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Bawss1(m): 10:54am On Jun 23, 2011
Turn up the lights in here baby
Extra bright I want all y'all to see this

Turn up the lights in here baby
You know what I need
Want you to see everything
Want you to see all of the lights

cool
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by adctrl: 10:55am On Jun 23, 2011
I think you have been visiting stingy people.
I live in London and I have never visited someone where there was no lights. However, Like myself I don't expect anyone to switch the lights on when they are not there, even my wifey realises that now.
As for party, if it is a disco,  they may turn lights off but if there is not dance or disco, HABA!!!

There are energy saving bulbs which you can get for cheap to nothing.
As someone has pointed out, please never generalise based on 1 or 2 people

2 Likes

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by ekasoso: 11:04am On Jun 23, 2011
thank God for naija
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by MMM2(m): 11:09am On Jun 23, 2011
dats uk 4 u.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by pepperoni(f): 11:09am On Jun 23, 2011
I kinda believe this story, i used to date some guy that used to be based in UK, wen he relocated back to nigeria he was always switching off the lights. It just hit me now that i read dis article. Funny!!! grin grin grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by TeeJay6(m): 11:12am On Jun 23, 2011
pepperoni:

I kinda believe this story, i used to date some guy that used to be based in UK, wen he relocated back to nigeria he was always switching off the lights. It just hit me now that i read dis article. Funny!!! grin grin grin
awww, ok me i dont switch off light sha, honest, infact if you come round later tonight i can prove it to you
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by 190: 11:14am On Jun 23, 2011
Sadly i find myself doing this same tin

I dont know, im now so used to it

switching off bulbs all over the house

I was never like this but just recently found myself doin this shiit embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by ajila03(m): 11:39am On Jun 23, 2011
Na for you ooooooooooooo.I wonder what u will have to say if they did not allow you into the houses.Now you have been allowed you are saying all these,is not better for them to manage what they have than get themself into funny deals and eventually messs up the name of our contry?

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by snowdrops(m): 11:39am On Jun 23, 2011
Switching off is good for the environment as well as your pocket.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by TeeJay6(m): 11:41am On Jun 23, 2011
ajila03:

Na for you ooooooooooooo.I wonder what u will have to say if they did not allow you into the houses.Now you have been allowed you are saying all these,is not better for them to manage what they have than get themself into funny deals and eventually messs up the name of our contry?
You dey mind the poster! I'm sure he ate the friend's meal, used his toilet and then turns up on NL to diss him, What a friend!

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by ak47mann(m): 11:58am On Jun 23, 2011
pepperoni:

hacker embarassed

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by dustydee: 12:10pm On Jun 23, 2011
I switch off my lights here in Nigeria at night and allow the TV to illuminate my room. I have been doing this for years now. If people come around, I put it on but if they are my close friends i leave it off.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by DisGuy: 12:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
People rarely dance or mingle when the lights are on at parties, you see many under gee going on immediately the alcohol is taking effect and the lights are off!!
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by f6(m): 12:13pm On Jun 23, 2011
@Poster I quite agree with you but only partially, I don't agree with the fact that people have to turn the light bulbs off as i guess they only use a reasonable amount of energy but as a couple of people have pointed out as regards energy efficiency, if you don't need it why have it on anyway, As you appear to be ill advised that 'common sense' requires the lights to stay on but thats very incorrect and i wouldn't blame you for being ignorant as most nigerians in nigeria are not well enlightened about the importance of energy efficiency for your pocket and most importantly the environment

As regards average cost of bills, at my previous apartment my average bills usually came up to about £125-£140 partly because i didnt have gas central heating taking into account not minimal but very reasonable use regardless of not using any energy during the day as i was usually at work, atleast this gives you an idea of why people do what they do because at the end of the day you'ld rather spend money on things you enjoy rather than wasting it on bills
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by pepperoni(f): 12:22pm On Jun 23, 2011
Tee_Jay:

awww, ok me i dont switch off light sha, honest, infact if you come round later tonight i can prove it to you

@Tee_Jay. hehehehe, if i come around where? U wish i would yeah?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by pepperoni(f): 12:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
ak47mann:

which light do you switch off in Nigeria? were is the light embarassed

@ak47mann. Lwkmdfh!!! there is always light in his house,if there's no official light, they run on GEN 24/7, so that's the light "HE" switches off in nigeria!
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by ibgreatman: 12:29pm On Jun 23, 2011
they stole my sim card here is my new number 07053100583.for those of you that does not know me am smith if you want glo free call just flash me on this 07053100583.availble to glo only.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by member479760: 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2011
and often eat chicken legs.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by ibgreatman: 12:37pm On Jun 23, 2011
they stole my sim card here is my new number 07053100583.for those of you that does not know me am smith if you want glo free call just flash me on this 07053100583.availble to glo only.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by ibgreatman: 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2011
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by SSaemoenl(m): 12:40pm On Jun 23, 2011
Yeah, Not only in the UK infact all over developed world. The energy company do advice to switch off the light when not in use to save more money and otherwise, Even in Nigeria, I'd once heard from a NEPA staff that they do advice their customers to switch of their light in other to transfer the load to companies that needs them just that many are illiterates to understand and leave their light unless Nepa took off the light from them. Poster, Weak up to realities. We learnt it from the host country and it pays. not only Energy, Even Gas And water as well. lease Next page.

Below are advice from Energy company. You can follow this Link and learn more.

Read point to point and see. Not Only Nigerians. Mentality wish. Stop showing urself that you 're from a third world No Offence!. Ciao

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Is The Cost Self Contain In Cotonou Benin Republic / Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.