Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,473 members, 7,836,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup (28073 Views)

Guinea Bissau President, Umaro Embaló Visits President Tinubu In Lagos / President Buhari Receives The President Of Guinea-Bissau, Sissoco Embalo / President Umaro Embalo Names Street After Buhari For His ‘Fear Of God’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 4:18pm On Feb 02, 2022
Thank my president I love you so much daddy
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by slimfit1(m): 4:31pm On Feb 02, 2022
mrksquare:

Karma is a product of our mindset. A function of our belief. Take it to the bank, the Nigeria military will never dare to topple the Buhari led government.

Well they can't handle ordinary boko haram that has only AK45 so you are right. They only know how to scare harmless citizens.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by HarlequinLekex: 4:43pm On Feb 02, 2022
slivertongue:
Buhari is becoming petty . Congratulations for what really?
Buhari is next
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Handsum64: 4:44pm On Feb 02, 2022
slimfit1:
Buhari could be next karma.
Are you normal?
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by SarkinYarki: 4:45pm On Feb 02, 2022
backbencher:

Shagari was a bad leader, and IMHO, if there was no coup, the NPN would have been voted out by landslide in 1987, assuming the opposition got its act together, and united...because Nigerians would have been tired of them. (Signs were there in 1983 already)

Not only was the massive corruption a bad thing, but Shagari then, like Buhari now, kept our country more and more dependent on oil. He failed to also anticipate and deal with the decline in most of our other sources of income (groundnut pyramids ended under his regime, tin mining went to zero , and so on), and when the oil crash happened in 1982, our economy began its slow decline.....

Shagari should not have been overthrown, (we lost a lot of things as a result of the 1966 and 83 coups) and the 1983 coup was illegal, but in the end, he was not a brilliant leader.

But all the economic indicators at the time state otherwise .... within 18 months after that coup Buharis bad leadership made thing much much worse and there began the slide of our economy to a point of no return
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by techWriter3: 5:13pm On Feb 02, 2022
politicians is transforming petty . congrats for what really?
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Charly68: 5:17pm On Feb 02, 2022
Coup plotters are liable to die young , bye bye to the disloyal elements .. nobody tries that in our land and escape the consequence... We don't have time for dissidents .. Gideon Orkar is resting in peace due to his gullibility ..
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Gireiboy(m): 5:30pm On Feb 02, 2022
backbencher:

The 1966 coup was not an Igbo coup,and Nzeogwu was not only not Igbo (he was from a minority tribe, as was Ifeajuana, and anyway was culturally more Hausa than Ibo, which was why he was able to convince the Northern troops that helped him carry out the coup to follow him), it was a 'patriotic' coup carried out to save Nigeria from the corrupt elite.

But even then, it was illegal, and a treasonable offence. Still, blaming Ibos for actions of one person....you won't like it if I blamed you and your tribe for the criminal actions of one of your fellow tribesperson.

And the coup,well intentioned as it was, created a lot of problems which have their base in our idea that the economy is a share the cake economy, not a productive economy
Ah Ah Ah, revisionist trying to change our history,nice try. Northern leaders killed, West, Midwest killed(including their wives)and somehow leaders from the East happens to escape how convenient. And after the coup an Igbo man assume the throne smiley and somehow refuse to punish the coup plotters(N:B Igbo's civilian and Igbo soldiers in town and barracks in the North,were busy mocking and taunting northerners with pictures of their leaders dead bodies) and you expect us to believe it wasn't an Igbo coup. Nice try!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by maste: 5:32pm On Feb 02, 2022
See hypocrite. How did you become head of state in 1983 when you replaced Shehu Shagari that we voted for? Yes dey smell.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Gireiboy(m): 5:38pm On Feb 02, 2022
RandyOku:

Never have I or will I ever support SAI BABA,,,

Someone that my entire GENERATION and my unborn kids are better than?

If not for QUOTA SYSTEM,,Who born SAI BABA to enter military?
Better than him with what exactly?
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 02, 2022
Gireiboy:

Ah Ah Ah, revisionist trying to change our history,nice try. Northern leaders killed, West, Midwest killed(including their wives)and somehow leaders from the East happens to escape how convenient. And after the coup an Igbo man assume the throne smiley and somehow refuse to punish the coup plotters(N:B Igbo's civilian and Igbo soldiers in town and barracks in the North,were busy mocking and taunting northerners with pictures of their leaders dead bodies) and you expect us to believe it wasn't an Igbo coup. Nice try!

Read where I said it was illegal and a treasonable offence, thank you.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 02, 2022
SarkinYarki:

But all the economic indicators at the time state otherwise .... within 18 months after that coup Buharis bad leadership made thing much much worse and there began the slide of our economy to a point of no return

There was economic crisis from 1982, which followed the oil price crash of that year ..and by the last year of Shagari's regime, there was massive recession. Shagari was calling for austerity by 1983.

Buhari took advantage of the crisis to take over.

The paper 'MONETARY POLICY IN NIGERIA AND THE ECONOMIC CRISIS OF THE 1980s' (Aigbokhan 1991) gives a better idea of what was going on then.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by seyz91(m): 6:28pm On Feb 02, 2022
cheesy
Ruggedniggaone:
If this guinea president survive another coup this year make I bend buhari congratulated him and he didn't reject it
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by VULCAN(m): 6:29pm On Feb 02, 2022
This Yoruba Muslim has come again.

One day you will surrender to Jesus and dump your religion that teaches you taqqiya- how to lie to deceive those of other religions!

GOTVee:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, I will like my fellow Christians to copy the good example of our Muslim brothers. No Muslim nation has ever experienced coup. Only Christians plan coup and it's shameful I belong to such religion sad

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by VULCAN(m): 6:34pm On Feb 02, 2022
I struggle to understand the relevance of your post in response to his.

Although all you claimed is true- what does it matter. He never said Shagari was an exceptional leader.

Is there any democracy as old as ours that hasn't had at least one poor leader?

The aim of democracy is that the people have the right to remove any leader they feel is non performing.

A right which Buhari kept from us in 2019
backbencher:

Shagari was a bad leader, and IMHO, if there was no coup, the NPN would have been voted out by landslide in 1987, assuming the opposition got its act together, and united...because Nigerians would have been tired of them. (Signs were there in 1983 already)

Not only was the massive corruption a bad thing, but Shagari then, like Buhari now, kept our country more and more dependent on oil. He failed to also anticipate and deal with the decline in most of our other sources of income (groundnut pyramids ended under his regime, tin mining went to zero , and so on), and when the oil crash happened in 1982, our economy began its slow decline.....

Shagari should not have been overthrown, (we lost a lot of things as a result of the 1966 and 83 coups) and the 1983 coup was illegal, but in the end, he was not a brilliant leader.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by VULCAN(m): 6:38pm On Feb 02, 2022
Thank you for your detailed response to that fellow.

But know this- he is a Yoruba Muslim who has been masquerading as a Born Again Christian for years.

This is not his first moniker and it won't be his last.

He used to be GoTV
backbencher:

Mauritania, Sudan, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia...and outside Africa , Iraq (1958, and 1968) and Iran (1953, the Shah overthrew Mossadegh), as well as Turkey, Lebanon, and even Yemen and Oman would like to have a word with you.

Coups happened in all those MUSLIM countries.

Infact, let's take Egypt as an example...what happened in 1952?
Sudan, what happened in the late 1960's (Nimery) and the year 1986 (Bashir) and more recently?
Morroco...1971...the King nearly got overthrown, and by someone he considered a friend.
Algeria...1992...when the generals acted to secure the secular state
Turkey..happened too many times, and then there was a recent attempted coup.
Oman...the recently deceased emir took power after overthrowing his dad ( a coup i actually approve of, as the dad was deliberately keeping the country backward, meanwhile other Arab countries were advancing, and that was a future threat.)

I could go on.

Modified

Saudi Arabia....there was a failed coup that led to the death of the then king, and then there was the events at Mecca in 1979 that was basically a coup against the state.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 02, 2022
VULCAN:
I struggle to understand the relevance of your post in response to his.

Although all you claimed is true- what does it matter. He never said Shagari was an exceptional leader.

He said that if Shagari had stayed in power, Nigeria would have been a great nation. That's not true, and the reason is that Shagari, like most of Nigeria's leaders did not know the word 'diversificaiton'.

Nigeria was in economic problems from 1981, and it got worse

See this article for a look back...and no I am not here to justify Buhari

Is there any democracy as old as ours that hasn't had at least one poor leader?

Of course not.

The aim of democracy is that the people have the right to remove any leader they feel is non performing.

A right which Buhari kept from us in 2019

No, the opposition lost, and lost fairly because as usual, they were not united enough.

Plus people said exactly the same thing about Obasanjo in 2003, GEJ in 2011....and it is because of such people, as well as people who claim that Buhari kept power from them in 2019, that I have refused to believe that elections are rigged in Nigeria. They never were rigged since 1999...instead Nigerians complain about bad leaders, and vote for them again and again. So, I'm not surprised Buhari won.

And anyway, both PDP and APC and Shagari and all our leaders are bad leaders because they did not use our raw materials the right way.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Scamburster(m): 7:08pm On Feb 02, 2022
backbencher:

The 1966 coup was not an Igbo coup,and Nzeogwu was not only not Igbo (he was from a minority tribe, as was Ifeajuana, and anyway was culturally more Hausa than Ibo, which was why he was able to convince the Northern troops that helped him carry out the coup to follow him), it was a 'patriotic' coup carried out to save Nigeria from the corrupt elite.

But even then, it was illegal, and a treasonable offence. Still, blaming Ibos for actions of one person....you won't like it if I blamed you and your tribe for the criminal actions of one of your fellow tribesperson.

And the coup,well intentioned as it was, created a lot of problems which have their base in our idea that the economy is a share the cake economy, not a productive economy
so you can read
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Nobody: 7:28pm On Feb 02, 2022
Scamburster:

so you can read

Good evening to you too.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by donjahsy(m): 8:15pm On Feb 02, 2022
backbencher:
Thank God he wasn't overthrown

1.For the gang saying Guinea Bissau would have been better with coups. They have, since independence in 1975, had four coups and are still poor. So, you people want them to try and try again something that has failed.

2.For those saying Nigeria should have a coup, have the past coups we had transformed our country? Plus, insecurity was a big problem under millitary rule.

3.For those chanting that Nigeria should have a coup, and backing people like Kanu and Iboho...you know what would have happened to them under Army rule, right? They won't have even seen a court, or a prision....

4.For those chanting for coup in Nigeria, and supporting ENDSARS...you know, the way army handled protesters under Army rule, it makes what happened in Lekki looks like child's play compared to that. Go and read what happened to student protesters in 1978 and 1986, and then come and tell me you want army rule.

5.For those chanting Army rule...Buhari millitary could close down a media house for over 6 months, same as IBB and Abacha, and nothing would happen. Army rulers would not only ban twitter like Bubu, they would ban all internet...like what is happening in Myanmar under Army rule there...and they will say national secuirity.

6.Finally, those who think Army rule would bring about a government of reformers....where do you think the people in the Army come from? The same place the corrupt leaders come from...the mass of Nigerian people.

Democracy is hard work. If Nzeogwu had resigned his millitary commision in 1965, and gone into poltiics, millions of people would have been alive, and maybe he could have gotten into power peacefully and changed things. Instead, he used gun and set off a powderkeg, and we are still dealing with the fallout from his antics today

And yes, Buhari, GEJ, Obasanjo, Yaradua and all of them have FAILED....but their civilian rules were better than army rule. Nigeria is not going back to army rule. And yes, again..if we want better government...there is a reason why it is called a participatory democracy.
You are just right but people just wanted the bigger failure in the Villa to be removed by the smaller evil (military).
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Aboguede(m): 8:22pm On Feb 02, 2022
That is buhari original village!
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Gireiboy(m): 8:36pm On Feb 02, 2022
backbencher:

Read where I said it was illegal and a treasonable offence, thank you.
I see smiley
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 02, 2022
donjahsy:

You are just right but people just wanted the bigger failure in the Villa to be removed by the smaller evil (military).

Here is the thing, there are a lot of lessons in democracy that we are learning now, instead of much much earlier , because we thought that the army was made up of angels who would save us.

It wasn't. It was made up of the same people in the civilian class, Nigerians.

See Buhari...in the early 1980's he was a left-leaning reformist, now, he is part and parcel of the same elite he tried to overthrow in 1983.

Plus army rule is worse than civillian rule. I don't like Mazi Kanu, but I am glad he is in court. If this was army rule, he would have been tried summarily before an army tribunal and executed....like Saro Wiwa who did not do up to half of what he did.( most certainly he did not call for Nigeria's breakup)..and was exectued on trumped up charges by Abacha.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Coolgent(m): 9:17pm On Feb 02, 2022
Shut up Coup plotter!
You toppled first democratically elected president
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by WarriBwoi(m): 9:21pm On Feb 02, 2022
Bobo congratulating you ���� your own don finish
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 02, 2022
cool Well I am quite surprise about his calmness ... Anyway it all Good.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by yemmywesey(m): 11:56pm On Feb 02, 2022
Na turn by turn kingship dey reach person.
Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by sirchrislatestn(m): 5:34am On Feb 03, 2022
GOTVee:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, I will like my fellow Christians to copy the good example of our Muslim brothers. No Muslim nation has ever experienced coup. Only Christians plan coup and it's shameful I belong to such religion sad
even me a born Christian I support coup �% coup will save us more bros

Re: Buhari Congratulates Guinea Bissau President, Embalo For Surviving Coup by sulaak(m): 7:30am On Feb 03, 2022
backbencher:

Even then, at the end, the reason why we don't have a matured democracy that would have helped a lot is because people decided to take coup shortcut.

Nigeria is poor because our financial base disproportionately relies on oil...and dividing or changing to millitary rule won't change that .

Nigeria is poor because we can't govern.

Our reliance on oil is due to the failure of Nigerians to effectively operate the military and democratic government. The reason why Africa first modern leaders formed a one-party government was that they realised that modern democracy exacerbated African tribal politics to the point that elections weren't about policies or ideology but ethnicity and religion.

Africa need to stop copying Europe.

I don't think Nigerians and West Africa are capable of operating democratic systems of government.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Hungry For Infrastructure, NOT Iphones - Adeosun To World Bank / Fuel Scarcity: FG Should Legalize Illegal Refineries - Murray-Bruce / Adeleye Gbenga And Dimeji Adeleye Attacked In Ekiti, Beaten Mercilessly (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.