Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,650 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm (1452 Views)

Mbaka Removed From Adoration Ministry, Replaced, Sent To Monastery (Video) / See The Tilapia My Neighbor Offered Me For 20k / Why Was The Book Of Enoch Removed From The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by donnie(m): 4:13pm On Feb 03, 2022
I drained my Tilapia pond and removed these huge mudfish. Obviously, they have been feeding on some of my Tilapia fry as well as on the fish feed.

HOW DID THE MUDFISH ARRIVE IN MY POND?
The came during the rainy season two years ago as a nearby river flooded it banks and somehow walked into my pond. shocked Yes, if you know mudfish, you'd know they have a way of travelling distances and even surviving through the dry seasons in the earth.

DISADVANTAGES OF HAVING MUDFISH IN YOUR TILAPIA POND.
1. They feed on your tilapia fries. For Catfish farming, it's said that allowing Tilapia in your pond could result in mortalities among the catfish due to the sharp bones of Tilapia. But what da heck?
2. They compete for the tilapia feed you supply to the pond.
3. They compete for space which could lead to overcrowding.

ADVANTAGES OF HAVING MUDFISH IN YOUR TILAPIA POND.
1. The help check overcrowding of tilapia as they feed on some of your young fishes.
2. They are bottom feeders and as such could be said to help in keeping the water cleaner by preventing contamination of the water from excess feed dropping to the bottom of the pond.
3. Earn more from the sale of hefty mud fishes like those you find in the pictures below.

NB: I tried my best to take out as many mud fishes as I could as the Tilapia is my focus.

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by FERNANDEZISBACK: 4:16pm On Feb 03, 2022
Sorry what do you plan on doing with them?
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by gasparpisciotta: 4:21pm On Feb 03, 2022
Your cutlass has done justice to one already whichever way you wish to prepare them “bon appetite”

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by ItsGoodToBeGood: 4:32pm On Feb 03, 2022
Drop location make I help you out, taking out mud fish from tilapia pond is my hobby

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by donnie(m): 8:00am On Feb 04, 2022
ItsGoodToBeGood:
Drop location make I help you out, taking out mud fish from tilapia pond is my hobby

Lol
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by donnie(m): 8:01am On Feb 04, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:
Sorry what do you plan on doing with them?

Gift some, sell some.
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by FERNANDEZISBACK: 8:47am On Feb 04, 2022
donnie:

Gift some, sell some.
That's great..

1 Like

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by Matrixlord2021: 4:19pm On Feb 04, 2022
Pls I want to start a fish pond, I don't want catfish, but I want tilapia or cote fingerlings, is this possible?
Where can I get such?
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by donnie(m): 5:54pm On Feb 06, 2022
Matrixlord2021:
Pls I want to start a fish pond, I don't want catfish, but I want tilapia or cote fingerlings, is this possible?
Where can I get such?

Depending on your location... you can get tilapia fingerlings. One time purchase can be sufficient as they'll produce the eggs and fingerlings you'll need for subsequent stocking. .
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by Matrixlord2021: 12:28pm On Feb 14, 2022
donnie:

Depending on your location... you can get tilapia fingerlings. One time purchase can be sufficient as they'll produce the eggs and fingerlings you'll need for subsequent stocking. .
How much is the fingerlings
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by Ola17: 8:14am On Feb 15, 2022
Donnie are those mudfish or catfish?

I never knew tilapia is farmed in Naija. Please how lucrative is it compared to catfish farming?
How long do they take to mature?
Are tilapia as resilient as catfish?
Can tilapia be farmed anywhere or are they location specific?

No vex for the many questions sir. I think say na only conspiracy theories you dey do, never knew you are also an accomplished fish farmer.
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by donnie(m): 9:38am On Feb 17, 2022
Ola17:
Donnie are those mudfish or catfish?
They are mudfish, not catfish.
I never knew tilapia is farmed in Naija. Please how lucrative is it compared to catfish farming?
Yes tilapia is farmed in Nigeria though by not too many farmers. Yes it is lucrative but it depends on what type of business you want: Do you want high investment, high turnover and high risk like catfish or like me, you want to also have time and resources for other things like family or for destroying long established lies like I do. tongue

How long do they take to mature?
Are tilapia as resilient as catfish?
Can tilapia be farmed anywhere or are they location specific?
By 4-6 mouths they get mature and begin reproduction even before they get to full size.
*NOTE: when reproduction begins growth becomes stunted especially for females who's feeding reduces drastically since they have to carry their eggs in their mouth. Also because pond gets crowded.

Ola17:
Donnie are those mudfish or catfish? No vex for the many questions sir. I think say na only conspiracy theories you dey do, never knew you are also an accomplished fish farmer.
Well my knowledge of what you call conspiracy theories pushed me into what I'm doing in preparation for the days ahead. smiley
Shalom

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by Ola17: 11:20am On Feb 17, 2022
donnie:

They are mudfish, not catfish.

Yes tilapia is farmed in Nigeria though by not too many farmers. Yes it is lucrative but it depends on what type of business you want: Do you want high investment, high turnover and high risk like catfish or like me, you want to also have time and resources for other things like family or for destroying long established lies like I do. tongue

By 4-6 mouths they get mature and begin reproduction even before they get to full size.
*NOTE: when reproduction begins growth becomes stunted especially for females who's feeding reduces drastically since they have to carry their eggs in their mouth. Also because pond gets crowded.

Well my knowledge of what you call conspiracy theories pushed me into what I'm doing in preparation for the days ahead. smiley
Shalom

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will really love to go into large scale commercial fish farming someday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by Lighthouse50: 1:12pm On Feb 17, 2022
Most tilapia farmers in lagos do reverse the sex of their fries. When you buy them, you will notice rapid growth but they cant reproduce. I wish i can buy from OP
Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by donnie(m): 8:31pm On Feb 17, 2022
Lighthouse50:
Most tilapia farmers in lagos do reverse the sex of their fries. When you buy them, you will notice rapid growth but they cant reproduce. I wish i can buy from OP

Very true... The process or sex reversal takes about 21 days and there'll be only a small percentage of females left. I tried it the first few batches, but I guess I got excited seeing the number of fishes grow and forgot about it altogether. But I discovered that the fishes in the less populated ponds grew bigger.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by donnie(m): 8:32pm On Feb 17, 2022
Ola17:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will really love to go into large scale commercial fish farming someday.
You're welcome... YAH bless your dreams.

1 Like

Re: See The Huge Mudfish I Removed From My Tilapia Farm by infotainment(m): 3:39pm On May 11, 2022
DO METER FOR SALE
ASKING PRICE: N180K
CALL: 08028949614

(1) (Reply)

Life or Free Will: which is more important? / Prophet T.b. Joshua Prohpesies --- President Roh's Suicide / The Mottled History Of Reason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.