Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,418 members, 7,812,231 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) (57020 Views)

The Destruction Caused After Dam Collapsed In South Africa (Pictures) / Is Asokoro, Abuja The Best Precinct In West Africa? (Pictures) / Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by HolinessForever: 9:22pm On Feb 03, 2022
BIBLICAL PLAGUE:' Horrifying moment car is swarmed by ‘hundreds of thousands’ of grasshoppers while cruising down motorway

A PETRIFIED women has captured the moment her car was swarmed by “hundreds of thousands” of grasshoppers while she cruised down a motorway.

Maryke Steenkamp was driving to Bloemfontein, South Africa, with her family on January 5 when their entire windscreen became clogged with bugs near the town of Colesberg.

Horrifying footage showed the vehicle as it suddenly became swamped by a relentless cloud of flying insects that battered against the windscreen with audible thuds.

It was reportedly so bad that the driver and her family were forced to quickly swerve off road to a nearby petrol station to remove the leftover gunge.

The 20-year-old, who owns a nail salon, claimed the experience was like being repeatedly “hit in the face” as the group were left confounded by the bizarre incident.

She said: "Even though there was a windshield between the grasshoppers and me, my body instinct told me they were going to hit me in the face so I kept dodging.

"We had to slow down when they started hitting the windshield. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the smell of those dead grasshoppers was awful.

"The grasshoppers must have been relocating for days because we drove past a few dead ones on the road and my nephew drove back the next day and he saw a helicopter spraying them with poison because they damage crops like corn, wheat and sorghum.

"I didn't realise at first that they were grasshoppers because I have never seen something like this before in my life. I honestly thought it was butterflies at [/b]first.

"We stopped at the nearest petrol station so we could clean the windshield and check the car's radiator because we were scared it might be blocked but luckily it wasn't."

The horrifying video was uploaded online and has since been viewed more than 3.3million times online.

Many commenters were quick to draw comparisons between Maryke's footage and popular horror films – describing the swarm as a “biblical plague.”

One commenter wrote: "Looks like someone took their car through the 10 plagues of Egypt."

[b]BILBLICAL PLAGUE

The terrifying incident came as several provinces of the country were placed on high alert as the crop-munching pests were filmed terrorising vehicles across the country.

Car drivers were advised not to drive with their wipers on after it was deemed that they would likely smear flying locusts across the windshield and reduce visibility even further.

Local media has suggested that the grasshoppers have plagued the majority of South African farms and have cost the government millions of Rands.

In January, the South African National Department of Agriculture estimated the damage costs were equivalent to more than £3.4million.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17532560/moment-car-swarmed-thousands-grasshoppers-south-africa/amp/

3 Shares

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by OlawaleBammie: 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2022
Is everything biblical??

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by gaby(m): 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2022
Just blow the trumpet, Michael, make everybody go rest.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Righteousness2(m): 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2022
We are Living right in Biblical times.
Times where anything could happen at anytime.

Just like in the times of old , where GOD ALMIGHTY used Unimaginable weapons to break pharaoh and Egypt down before HE took HIS People out. The trumpet is about to sound and GOD is about to take HIS Bride out! HE is testing the Mic of HIS wrath on a Stubborn, Rebellious and abominable World.

JESUS is Coming! Everyone needs to get Ready and Live Ready! It is gonna terrible down here after the Rapture.

54 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by insidelife22(m): 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2022
hmmm,1_ Dafulu indeed.

lemme jejely make room for our Forum pastor his preacherness @Rightiousness2 to continue.

8 Likes

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Holumhidey(m): 9:44pm On Feb 03, 2022
Grasshopper pepper soup for make sense oo kiss

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by NwaNimo1(m): 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2022
Very shocking..
Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Mazi32: 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2022
Do you know that grasshopper kills snakes?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by CXLVII: 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2022
Righteousness2:

Just like in the times of old , where GOD ALMIGHTY used Unimaginable weapons to break pharaoh and Egypt down before HE took HIS People out. The trumpet is about to sound and GOD is about to take HIS Bride out! HE is testing the Mic of HIS wrath on a Stubborn, Rebellious and abominable World.

JESUS is Coming! Everyone needs to get Ready and Live Ready! It is gonna terrible down here after the Rapture.

Sigh…

Who did this to you…

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by lifezone247(m): 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2022
This righteousness guy go use another moniker create thread, use another moniker preach, even God sef endorsed nature. Haba.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by HitRun(m): 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2022
Righteousness2:

If we are living in biblical times, can I marry 30 wives? undecided

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by devigblegble: 9:47pm On Feb 03, 2022
No be only biblical na quranic plaque orisirisi, abeg shift these religious people no go kill people

10 Likes

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by trevorhorace(m): 9:47pm On Feb 03, 2022
Righteousness2:

grin

You no dey waste time for this kind matter.

13 Likes

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by peppermint7(m): 9:47pm On Feb 03, 2022
This your format don cast

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by inoki247: 9:47pm On Feb 03, 2022
Check well dem come protest na Zuma fans...

Mak dem sha be on a look out make dem no loot....

1 Like

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Albert0011(m): 9:47pm On Feb 03, 2022
She's lucky that its not African wild killer bee.
It would have been another story.
I still remember vividly the very day it chased me few years ago on my way back from the farm.
I was damn so lucky that day.
Na innocent people wey dey pass by them go attack grin and i was the one that caused everything.
Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by KingDash: 9:47pm On Feb 03, 2022
see better meat
Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by illicit(m): 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2022
The world is ending o

Chai!
Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by BeboNGN: 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2022
gaby:

Hahahahahahahahahah

2 Likes

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by toujurs: 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2022
We need mummy G.O to interpret this to us. I think she has the true meaning
Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Felabrity: 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2022
You couldn't post the video link

1 Like

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by JON01: 9:49pm On Feb 03, 2022
gaby:

Try Respect the Angel na.

1 Like

Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Kingpin1000: 9:50pm On Feb 03, 2022
I agree with Righteousness, withbthe kind Bad bad things people dey do now. I believe God go done tire for all this nonsense and him want kuku say make everybody go rest, him no do again. The wickedness this days has surpassed the Pre-Noah era.
Re: Car Swarmed By Thousands Of Grasshoppers In South Africa (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 03, 2022
For Righteousness mind now the world go soon end...

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The Moment The First International Aircraft Landed In Kaduna Airport / What Is The Best Country In The World For Nigerians To Relocate To And Why? / Nigerians Living In Qatar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.