Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,053 members, 7,814,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm (2464 Views)

Sit-At-Home From 23rd To 28th February 2023 Is Final, No Going Back - Simon Ekpa / Court Sentences Bassey Albert To 42 Years In Prison / EXCLUSIVE: Four Years After, Ex-nigerian Minister Set To Return Home From Exile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by DozieMartin: 3:04pm On Feb 06, 2022
THE PLACE CALLED "IYAJI"
Earlier today, around 10am, a man looking old and worn-out was seen trekking down the Umuida road. At a point in Umuadogwa, he decided to ask question to ascertain how far he will have to trek again before reaching home. He has been living in the West for about 40 years or thereabout. This week, he decided to go home. And here he is, in Umuadogwa.

He entered my uncle's domain to make enquiry. He asked them, which road lead to Aji, Enugu Ezike, his hometown. When asked, he said he left home at the time MCC company was constructing the Nsukka-Ogrute-Aji-Umuopu-Umueze road circa 1980. Since then, he has not been to his village, nor has he been communicating with those at home. He entered Nsukka yesterday evening and slept over at the park. Today, he boarded a transport to Ogrute Enugu Ezike. On reaching Ogrute, he enquired from an Okada man, the cost of transportation from Ogrute to Aji. When the Okada man told him it is #400, he decided to trek. Unfortunately, the Umuida road has not been coated by then, so he followed it, thinking that he is in Aji road which was under construction when he left. My uncle told him that this is Umuida road and he mighty find himself in Kogi if he continue the trekking. My Uncle gave him a seat and called an Okada man from Aji, who came and were able to identify him based on his family (He left before the Okada man was born). The Okada man was in tears.

Where is he coming back from? They called the place Iyaji, a title used by my people to address the southwest people of Nigeria because of there diverse nature in business and other enterprises. According to my Uncle, the earliest people to get development is the Benin people of Edo state. People were migrating to the place to work as hired labour in rubber production. Some people couldn't go because rubber production require some level of expertise. Later, West was discovered as a home for poor people to earn a living through cocoa farming. They practiced a kind of feudal system. A system by which the land owners enter into agreement with immigrants to work in their farm for a whole year or six months as a labourer. At the end on the period, they were paid between 10 to 20 shillings depending on the agreement. The workers also earn from selling animals caught in the farm like Snails, tortoise, porcupines, rabbits and other wild animals. This they do till they save enough to go home and invest in other area. They also used this to avoid the Igbo apprentice system(Boyï). But, some people fail to come back. Why?

There is something called "Bamijoko." This is, according to former dwellers, a charm used by the Yoruba landowners to tie down their labourers. This labourers spend decades there and come back old and empty-handed. Some of them endup having a cocoa farm after working for a decade or so. Many immigrants didn't make it home before their life expires. Some are still there looking for transport money to go home. While those that embarked on the journey back often miss their way.

Welcome home Mr Thomas.

© Chijioke Onyedikachi
Credit: Victor Chizoba Ugwu

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by helinues: 3:33pm On Feb 06, 2022
There is something called "Bamijoko." This is, according to former dwellers, a charm used by the Yoruba landowners to tie down their labourers

Here we go again with another Bunkum, so Nigerians that are living on street in different countries in Abroad have been charmed with Bamijoko as well?

Bamijoko ko, Bamidele ni

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by aremuforlife(m): 3:46pm On Feb 06, 2022
Bamijoko for 42 years!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 06, 2022
U can not talk against my people & sit down & cross leg. Nah tell me many nigerians who spend their entire lives in the western world are they tighted with bamijoko? Plz i beg you, always let ur understanding be clear b4 you write up a story.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by dawnomike(m): 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2022
Glad he at least came back alive...

1 Like

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by PlayerMeji: 4:02pm On Feb 06, 2022
All these without a single picture.
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by helinues: 4:04pm On Feb 06, 2022
PlayerMeji:

Just imagine. There are so many Nigerians that are lost in Abroad. Some have even given up of returning back to Nigeria self, most especially those who have lived complicated lives
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Snitch24(m): 4:06pm On Feb 06, 2022
This write up makes no sense
And it's tribalistic

2 Likes

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by headSmasher: 4:15pm On Feb 06, 2022
helinues:

Here we go again with another Bunkum, so Nigerians that are living on street in different countries in Abroad have been charmed with Bamijoko as well?

Bamijoko ko, Bamidele ni
You are mistaking
it jokotade

1 Like

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by duro4chang(m): 4:28pm On Feb 06, 2022
As far back as 70s ibo people have been in the west as labourers in cocoa farms . They normally travelled back home in December and returned the following year . I had a very then whose name was John okpara who was far far older than me but he took me as his friend. We used to take pics (black &white) together. Nothing like charm. This your man decided to stay back when other returned.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Adeolaeniola(m): 4:46pm On Feb 06, 2022
Which one is bamijoko again? Nothing wey you no go see for wonderland

1 Like

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by richiemcgold: 5:16pm On Feb 06, 2022
I purposely came here to see the man's picture.
op, where's the photo na?

modified:

okay, OP has added the photo.

And from my observation here, I think the man must have lived some very wrong and miserable lives in the pasts which he wouldn't want to divulge. This is what eventually happens to those village folks that spend most part of their youthful days inside village joints drinking palm wine and ogogoro.
You were a farmer for 45 years, yet you could not afford a pair of decent dress. No wife, no children, no fare, ..not even a Ghana-must-go bag. haba!
Bamijoko jo, banki-moo ni.

2 Likes

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by laiperi: 5:27pm On Feb 06, 2022
Most of the farm hand laborers established themselves, some were given or bought their own farms, their children and families even melt into the culture.

Even in Lagos, some became offended if they are told they are not members of the families or Agbole.

This is also true of Yoruba workers, Hausa or Igbo. This is how people prosper for centuries in Yorubaland.

This manipulation of history to debase people you voluntarily left your place to serve in exchange for money is part of the oschecrested calumny against the fingers that fed you.

4 Likes

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by DozieMartin: 5:48pm On Feb 06, 2022
PlayerMeji:

richiemcgold:
I purposely came here to see the man's picture.
op, where's the photo na?

Added
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Beejayy20(m): 5:51pm On Feb 06, 2022
there are many of them here doing labourer in our farm.
I won't be surprise if this one go to the village and saying he is buying off their land.
Ndi slave developer,i hail o.
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 06, 2022
inside life
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by FreeStuffsNG: 6:15pm On Feb 06, 2022
" According to my Uncle, the earliest people to get development is the Benin people of Edo state. People were migrating to the place to work as hired labour in rubber production ".

Your uncle is very funny wink
Benin is closer to them than the rest of the west and the west was like London and overseas to them that time with free education, free healthcare etc.

I am sure he is not even aware that the people in the West have already started going overseas to study and return back home then while some use trade routes from the west to as far as Togo and Aswan in Egypt then.
When it gets to "my uncle said this and said that", just know it is false.

The man was hustling in Yorubaland and there are many of them till date!
Even as a Yoruba, I think this practice is a form of human slavery and should be abolished. The jazz part is possible but most that I know work out of their free volition because they are chased down to the west by poverty.

In Lagos, it's same as those who do Omo odo (Ghosh!! I hate when a child is referred as such and I made sure I never have such around me,it's utter child abuse) and hawkers in Lagos traffic. Most of these menial jobs are done by non Yoruba trafficked from outside the west down to the west. Sadly, the practice is still on!

It all has to stop. Those boys selling gala in traffic too is a form of slavery, they are mostly Young and not indigenes of the West.

The repatriation of most of them to the South East as destitute by HE Fashola was turned into a political issue then because then Igbo governors like HE Obi were hypocritical and not ready to confront this form of human slavery being perpetrated against their own people. I was expecting them to find those funding this agelong endless migration of indigent folks from the SE to the west and try to reduce or stop it but it is high time LASG and other SW states revisit it. You can't keep sustaining this kind of human slavery.

Just two days ago, two children of age 9 and 12 were found to be doing menial errands during school hours and on enquiry from them by the Lagos State Governor, they turned out to be non indigenes brought in from outside Lagos for servitude.

It's all human slavery and should stop. SW Governments should stop this odious practice of permitting the import of human slaves from the SE outside SW to the SW and SE Governors must prosecute those involved in the trafficking.

We were shouting about Edo State girls being trafficked to Italy but daily thousands of Igbo are being trafficked to farms in the SW! It's human slavery and should stop.

Same sensitization has started in Cote'd voire and Ghana too but this SE own is being covered because the SW is benefiting from cheap labour and don't want to bother again after the last attempt was politicised.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by FriendsAndFans(m): 6:16pm On Feb 06, 2022
Why Balme all your misfortunes on Yoruba people

DozieMartin:

There is something called "Bamijoko." This is, according to former dwellers, a charm used by the Yoruba landowners to tie down their labourers. This labourers spend decades there and come back old and empty-handed. Some of them endup having a cocoa farm after working for a decade or so. Many immigrants didn't make it home before their life expires. Some are still there looking for transport money to go home. While those that embarked on the journey back often miss their way.
Welcome home Mr Thomas.

©
Credit: Victor Chizoba Ugwu

1 Like

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by FriendsAndFans(m): 6:22pm On Feb 06, 2022
Why Balme all your misfortunes on Yoruba
DozieMartin:

Many immigrants didn't make it home before their life expires. Some are still there looking for transport money to go home.

NAA Yoruba people go still give you transport fare.
You go wait taya grin
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by mytime24(f): 6:44pm On Feb 06, 2022
d farm dey for evil forest angry
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by ExAngel007(f): 7:03pm On Feb 06, 2022
welcome back
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Snapchat: 7:30pm On Feb 06, 2022
helinues:

Bamijoko ko, Bamidele ni

The Yoruba people don but market from Ibo people Lmao. If this is not inferiority complex, I don’t know what it is. Must they always create thread to show their hatred? Lol
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by helinues: 7:34pm On Feb 06, 2022
Snapchat:

The Yoruba people don but market from Ibo people Lmao. If this is not inferiority complex, I don’t know what it is. Must they always create thread to show their hatred? Lol

As in it's getting irritated.

They want to be blaming Yoruba's for their woes. What's the business of Agbero with flying a plane?

2 Likes

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Snapchat: 7:48pm On Feb 06, 2022
helinues:

As in it's getting irritated.

They want to be blaming Yoruba's for their woes. What's the business of Agbero with flying a plane?

Walahi, I don’t know lol.

Anyway, their rants are comedy to me nowadays.
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Nobody: 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2022
Op ar you from enugu ezike?
Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Ddokie: 7:57pm On Feb 06, 2022
Ezike Oba
Deje noo

1 Like

Re: A Man Return Home From Iyaji After Working For 42 Years In Cocoa Farm by Chibuzoc(m): 8:04pm On Feb 06, 2022
Lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Don't Understand, Who Is Obi's Running Mate? / Pastor Adeboye Is Working For Tinubu / South-East Votes Insignificant, Inferior To A LGA Votes In Kano -Ganduje 

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.